Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ONE MORE TIME....WILL MITCH BE THE STARTING QB

Started by lespaulHog, July 05, 2006, 11:14:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaulHog

I know it's been done but I'd like to get an up to minute opinion with CD's health being in question

whatsshakinbacon

Hawgballz

Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

SultanofSwine

WILL CLINTON

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

clew

Pure as the dawn

clew

surfactants act as chemical coating devices.  they essentially change the surface tension of droplets, usually causing the liquid to shear more easily when an external force is applied.  if anyone knows a good surfactant to get water (with a surface tension of 72 dynes/cm) to act more like a light hydrocarbon (around 10 dynes/cm), I'd greatly appreciate it.  what was this thread about, anyway?
Pure as the dawn

JJHog

Unless it is an emergnecy--no.

If he is that great in practice, I would use him for spot duty in the USC game and then wait and see. No need to shatter a freshmen's confidence....
" Think Right, Do Right"

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: dubyacee on July 05, 2006, 12:31:18 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on July 05, 2006, 11:16:51 am
Maybe.

Bacon out...

Oh geez, he's back.  WOW!!!

Thanks wc.

I do think we'll see Mitch, but he won't start the USC game.  He'll come along in the second quarter...or half of that game and will be the starter from then on.  THERE'S A NEW GAME IN TOWN BOYS!

Bacon out...

John Rogers

I really hope Dick is ready. I love Mustain but I don't like the idea of him playing against USC his first game. I think Dick would be the better QB for our team against because with Mcfadden and Jones playing we really need a Qb who can just take care of the ball and make a couple of plays here and there
"I wish I were you so I could be friends with me"

GrizzledHogFan

Mitch will start regardless of CD's health.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

clew

eeek...How about we find a stellar quarterback that can beat you with his arm so that D-mac, Jones, and Hillis can kill you with their feet.  I'm tired of just having a quarterback that can "just take care of the ball and make a couple of plays here and there".  That's the mentality that has gotten us back to back losing seasons.

i'm not baggin on you JR, but I want to win.  NOW.
Pure as the dawn

mayorhog

right now are they practicing together,   I know the coaches cant be there, but are the wr, qbs, and the rb practicing together without the coaches...?????    if so does anyone here watch it and how is it going,  esp. the freshmen...

update please :D

WILL CLINTON

I say RJ is going to be our best option and an AA in Malzahn's system
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

John Rogers

I want to win now to but throwing a freshman QB into the biggest game UA has ever played in since TX a few years ago is not necessarily the winning ingredients. Regaurdless if MM starts or not we are not going to be throwing the ball all over the field especially the first game. CD imo is capable of making all the necessary throws and gives us the best chance to win

pigfoot

Based on what I hear, CD's health is not really a question mark.  I look for him to start and stay in that role unless he gets hurt.  Mitch should get an opportunity to learn before being thrown to the wolves.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

bro.coach

HatfieldHog

Quote from: John Rogers on July 05, 2006, 01:05:20 pm
I want to win now to but throwing a freshman QB into the biggest game UA has ever played in since TX a few years ago is not necessarily the winning ingredients. Regaurdless if MM starts or not we are not going to be throwing the ball all over the field especially the first game. CD imo is capable of making all the necessary throws and gives us the best chance to win

This post is absolutely correct.  Those of you who think that MM will start the USC game and throw it across the middle on 30 yard patterns into two deep coverage, are dreaming.  Can you spell Interceptions?  He will probably do it against the directional schools, but he will need time to adjust to the speed of SEC and USC D-backs.

I hate to say it, but Ball Control is the answer for the USC game!  Casey Dick + Quality Ball Fakes + a few sideline deep routes + high precentage passing game is our only chance against USC.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

SoonerPride

I was fortunate enough to get to see the amazing Springdale team play 3 different times last year and was extremely impressed with Mustain and Williams.  Mustain will be a very good QB, BUT... if the Hogs want to win the game against USC you don't throw a true frosh. out there, let Casey Dick start and maybe work MM in there a series or two in the first half and see how he plays.

I honestly don't think the Hogs really have a shot at winning this one so this game would also be a great one for MM to start because he probably won't see another team that good all year long until Auburn...maybe.  Why not let him get his feet wet against USC?  I think it could only help in the long run.

HatfieldHog

You see, I think that Mitch cannot be expected to be the fortress that some people think that he is.  He could very easily throw multiple pic's against USC, and that could shatter his confidence or cause him to alter his timing or something that threw him off for the rest of the year, when his only problem might be recognizing coverages that are thrown at him.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 05, 2006, 01:55:44 pm

This post is absolutely correct.  Those of you who think that MM will start the USC game and throw it across the middle on 30 yard patterns into two deep coverage, are dreaming.  Can you spell Interceptions?  He will probably do it against the directional schools, but he will need time to adjust to the speed of SEC and USC D-backs.

I hate to say it, but Ball Control is the answer for the USC game!  Casey Dick + Quality Ball Fakes + a few sideline deep routes + high precentage passing game is our only chance against USC.

See ya
Did McFadden need to adjust to the speed of the SEC?  Or does the SEC need to (attempt to) adjust to the speed of McFadden?  Gus will have Mitch ready by day 1.

bro.coach

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 05, 2006, 02:11:23 pm
You see, I think that Mitch cannot be expected to be the fortress that some people think that he is.  He could very easily throw multiple pic's against USC, and that could shatter his confidence or cause him to alter his timing or something that threw him off for the rest of the year, when his only problem might be recognizing coverages that are thrown at him.

See ya

Mustain won't be the fortress, Gus will.  You guys who keep worrying about Mitch underestimate Gus. 

And this "speed of the game stuff" is being discussed way too much.  It is not physical it is mental.  It will take those freshmen less than a week to adjust.   Gus will take care of that too.

HatfieldHog

I think that the thing our coaches will use to access our QB's for the USC game is this:  Is the USC game realisticly winable?  If it is winable, then what type of game is it winable with?

Any dummy can see that getting into a downfield passing game with USC is a losing proposition.
I think that a ground control game, that keeps USC's offence off the field is the answer to giving us a chance.  I really hate to say this.  I have lobbied for a more wide open offence for years now, but against USC, I just can't see it.

See ya

Factual Fiction

forrest city joe

Start mitch from day one. but i want anyone but RJ. i hope i have seen the last of RJ at QB.

Razorback Ranger

Quote from: dubyacee on July 05, 2006, 12:59:42 pm
I say RJ is going to be our best option and an AA in Malzahn's system

The scary part is the best thing for the hogs might be to get RJ back on the field.

I watched the USC game again (research purposes only, and yes it was painful,) anyway he really wasn't playing that bad he was pretty accurate with the ball and was managing the field well. This of course was in the previous OC offense. That game really hurt his confidence. He got hurt mentally and physically in that game. He went down hill from there.

If RJ is playing compared near the level of the other QB's I say give him a shot. If he doesn't work out send in MM and let him fire away.

I don't think MM is a glass doll but I don't want to risk him losing any confidence in a game that winning is a long shot.

This could be RJ's shot at being a real QB. If he is not up to par though send in CD. Although if MM is really as ready (I don't know him) for the challenge. I won't be upset if he takes the first snap.

Ross U (HDHF)

I want....the coaches to make a decision in the first week of two-a-days.  Pick you man, and get him ready.  I think Mitch has a shot, frosh or not (when's the last time we had a QB coming in this highly rated?), but at the same time, Casey could be solid for us.  Coaches Wood and Malzahn know what they're doing.  My opinion doesn't matter.

forrest city joe

No more RJ for me. he is a nice kid, but he cant throw the football. for me,anybody but RJ.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: abostian on July 05, 2006, 02:13:45 pm
Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 05, 2006, 01:55:44 pm

See ya
Did McFadden need to adjust to the speed of the SEC?  Or does the SEC need to (attempt to) adjust to the speed of McFadden?  Gus will have Mitch ready by day 1.
that is the Quote of the offseason.

Hawgz4Life

Mitch....Mitch....uhhh, you mean that running back we have? Number 5? He better start! Especially after the numbers he put up last season! :D

PigManLives

July 05, 2006, 09:33:04 pm #30 Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:37:14 pm by PigManLives
Im amazed at how some of you "fear for mitch's confidence".  As if a freshmen has never excelled at QB in the SEC. 

Mustain will start vs the trojans.

Wait, I want to throw out another "buzz word".  Mitch will start if he can "adjust to the speed of the game"

Oh, and the last thing we need is a "serviceable" QB.  We need a QB who can make plays and win games.  Thats what QB's do.  Mustain will be doing that for the next four years for the Hogs.  CD and RJ will hold the clipboard and make hand signals barring injury or mop-up time. 

I dont expect Mitch to be and All-american from day one but he will be the best QB on campus from the get go.

John Rogers

The running back position is different than the QB position. THe QB is the leader of the offense and is in total control.  A Qb has about twice as much to process every play because regaurdless he is a big part of every play because the ball is in his hands every single play. Running backs are subbed in and out but the QB position requires a whole new level of mental maturity and toughness. I am not saying MM is incapable of that but as good as MM was he was good in high school football. The SEC is light years away and he is gonna need time to adjust.

VoR

Everyone is so scared about throwing Mitch to the wolves in the USC game, let's think about this for a minute folks, any one of the QB's we have all have the ability to throw int's against USC, the thing about it though is Mitch has a history with Damian, Cleveland, and Norman. While I realize playing 4 freshman is not the ideal situation against a team such as USC, at least it does give us a chance. Between DMac, Jones, Smith, and Hillis, throw in high percentage pass plays that Mitch can make in his sleep, have him throw 1 or 2 out of the endzone on like 2nd and 2 to keep the defense halfway honest and the Hogs actually do have a chance at this.

All I know is that what we have been doing isn't working, stranger things have happened, hell it could even make for a great fb movie 20 years from now, heck they could call it "Hometown College Bound"
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

John Rogers

Yes MM does have history with his HS team mates but Damian will be the only one getting significant minutes. Ben Cleveland will be behind Mason and Murphy. Monk , Washington, Crawford, Williams and ROd Coleman ( I think Coleman will be a playmaker) will all be in front of Norman. I also expect Salters to be ahead of Norman. I actually expect him to redshirt

VoR

Quote from: John Rogers on July 06, 2006, 01:08:55 am
Yes MM does have history with his HS team mates but Damian will be the only one getting significant minutes. Ben Cleveland will be behind Mason and Murphy. Monk , Washington, Crawford, Williams and ROd Coleman ( I think Coleman will be a playmaker) will all be in front of Norman. I also expect Salters to be ahead of Norman. I actually expect him to redshirt

The thing is, you go with what works, this is the 1st game of the season, you put Mitch in what is his comfort zone. I'm not saying start all of them, but have at least 1 of them out there on each play, have it so Mitch knows on any given play where at least 1 release receiver will be. As long as he knows he will have at least 1 plan B receiver on the field it will make his transition much easier.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Richard_white

I'm not to hip on video games but why can't HDN wait until NCAA 07 comes out and see who they are starting. lol

pigndblanket

All I can say is......

There will be another "ONE MORE TIME" for me to think about this.  We still have 50+ days until kickoff.

bro.coach

Quote from: John Rogers on July 06, 2006, 12:19:24 am
The SEC is light years away and he is gonna need time to adjust.

That is incorrect.  It is only one step away.  Thousands of atheletes take that step every year.  Many of them start game one.  And some of them are QBs.

The reason it takes QBs time to "adjust" is NOT the physical aspect.  It is simply learning the playbook.  Mustain will not have to do that.  He is ready.

Aftershave

Mustain will start the USC game on national tv & throw for 500 yards. Ark - 48 USC - 14
He will lead us to 10 wins this season & be voted 1st team All SEC & All American.
That is unless, he has to adjust to a totally different game, namely the SEC.
Enough already!!!!
"Keep your feet tight & stay in the saddle"

"It may or may not be a first down" - The Late Great Bud Campbell

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Aftershave on July 07, 2006, 08:48:00 am
Mustain will start the USC game on national tv & throw for 500 yards. Ark - 48 USC - 14
He will lead us to 10 wins this season & be voted 1st team All SEC & All American.

I agree.  This is exactly what will happen.

whatsshakinbacon

whoa brethren....put down the koolaid and step back.

Before you get too optimistic let me prognosticate that he will only throw for 432 yards.

Bacon out...

Pork Twain

That MM will start at some point at Arkansas...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TulsaHogFan

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 12:46:33 pm
prognosticate,  mmmm tasty

Bacon is a professional pigskin prognosticator.   ;D

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: gmb_79 on July 07, 2006, 03:19:10 pm

Bacon is a professional pigskin prognosticator.   ;D

I like to give one recommendation.  If I take a team you would be wise to take the other.  I'm glad I love football for the enjoyment factor. 

Last time I looked bookies were lined up to take my bets.

Bacon out...

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on July 07, 2006, 08:26:41 pm
Quote from: gmb_79 on July 07, 2006, 03:19:10 pm

Bacon is a professional pigskin prognosticator.   ;D

I like to give one recommendation.  If I take a team you would be wise to take the other.  I'm glad I love football for the enjoyment factor. 

Last time I looked bookies were lined up to take my bets.

Bacon out...

I have to tell you a story sometime of how i single handedly ruined a groups betting experts advice.  I lost the group 200 by simply joining lmfao.

Sonofahog

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

firecampbell

If we don't redshirt him, start him.  The more experience he gets sooner, the better

tbhogfan

Here is my BOLD predicition. 

At some point in the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010 season, Mitch will get an opportunity to compete for the starting QB job, barring injury of course.
Go Hogs!