Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will the SEC be decided by guards, or by big men?

Started by Biggus Piggus, October 10, 2005, 06:56:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Best big men in the SEC:

Alabama: 6-8 Chuck Davis (sr) and 6-10 Jermareo Davidson (jr)
LSU: 6-9 Glen Davis (so) and 6-7 Tasmin Mitchell (fr)
Kentucky: 6-10 Randolph Morris (so if eligible) and 7-3 Shagari Alleyne (jr)
Arkansas: 6-10 Darian Townes (so), 7-0 Steven Hill (so) and 6-10 Vincent Hunter (so)
Ole Miss: 6-9 Dwayne Curtis (jr) and 6-9 Marquis Young (fr)
Florida: 6-8 Chris Richard (jr) and 6-8 Al Horford (so)
MSU: 7-2 Wesley Morgan (sr) and 6-9 Vernon Goodridge (fr)
Vanderbilt: 6-9 Ross Neltner (jr) and 6-9 Julian Terrell (sr)
South Carolina: 6-8 Antoine Tisby (sr), 6-8 Renaldo Balkman (jr) and 6-9 Brandon Wallace (jr)
Auburn: 6-8 Emanuel Willis (so) and 6-8 Joey Cameron (fr)
Tennessee: 6-10 Major Wingate (jr) and 6-10 Damion Harris (fr)
Georgia: 6-10 Dave Bliss (so) and 6-9 Steve Newman (sr), placeholders for a couple of freshmen

Best guards in the SEC:

Kentucky: 6-1 Rajon Rondo (so), 6-0 Patrick Sparks (sr) and 6-4 Joe Crawford (so)
Arkansas: 6-7 Ronnie Brewer (jr) and 6-4 Jonathon Modica (sr)
Georgia: 6-2 Levi Stukes (jr), 6-1 Sundiata Gaines (so), 6-4 Mike Mercer (so) and 6-4 Channing Toney (so)
Tennessee: 6-2 C.J. Watson (sr) and 6-2 Chris Lofton (so)
MSU: 5-9 Jamall Edmondson (sr), 6-4 Jamont Gordon (fr), 6-5 Richard Delk (fr) and 6-4 Reginald Delk (fr)
Alabama: 6-2 Ron Steele (so) and 6-5 Alonzo Gee (fr)
Vanderbilt: 5-11 Mario Moore (sr) and 5-11 Alex Gordon (so)
LSU: 5-11 Tack Minor (jr) and 5-11 Darrel Mitchell (sr)
Florida: 6-2 Lee Humphrey (jr) and 6-0 Taurean Green (so)
South Carolina: 6-7 Tarence Kinsey (sr) and 6-0 Tre Kelley (jr)
Auburn: 6-5 Ronny LeMelle (sr) and 6-3 Frank Tolbert (so)
Ole Miss: 6-1 Todd Abernethy (so) and 6-2 Clarence Sanders (jr)
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Can you guys believe what is going on with the basketball team?  Stan Heath has made dramatic progress since last March's collapse.  No, we do not know whether he's going to come through as an SEC game coach, but he has his best chance yet of being ready to put in a plan at the beginning of the season and carry it out to the end without a train wreck.

This team still could be derailed by the shortage of good guards, but Brewer and Modica are more ready to play there than they've ever been by far.  Next year, the Hogs already have three 4-star recruits lined up (two guards and a power forward) plus transfer PG Gary Ervin (let's not even consider juco Ryan McBride on the board till he shows up and shows something).  The 2006-07 Razorbacks will be contenders just like the 05-06 team will be, if not more so.

With Dan Hipsher and Ronnie Thompson, Heath has a coaching staff he can go to the SEC wars with.  All we need to forget about last February-March is for the positive appearances to turn into meaningful wins.  Maui should be Arkansas's re-emergence.
[CENSORED]!

Razorod

Could be a good year. If Brewer and Townes stay on board for another year, next season could be very good. Man oh man, have I missed good basketball from the Razorbacks. Not sure which way season will go, but I'm cautiously optimistic--emphasis on both words.

Thanks for the run down and the basketball post. Also, need good showing this weekend to put the final touches of the recruitment of Thad Young.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Biggus Piggus

Brewer is probably gone after this season.  I say this not based on inside info but from scouts' comments.  He will be ready, and the market will be willing.  Townes who knows.  A lot of SEC big men have made mistakes going early.  But if he goes, Hill ought to be ready to play center, and Washington will help him a lot at the four.  Only bad thing would be not really having a backup center.

This team is going to go suddenly guard heavy.  I'm very pleased about that.
[CENSORED]!

Razorod

If Brewer does go, that makes getting Young a higher priority because we'll be losing both Modica and Brewer. Weems and Young would be nice replacements for those two. Hopefully, McGowen will be ready by his sophomore year to help out at backup center.

Another nice thing is that this year's junior class in Arkansas is looking pretty strong with three possible top 100 prospects--Sanchez, Randolph and the guard from Junction City (name eludes me). Heath would only need to go out of state for a point guard prospect.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Biggus Piggus

I am not going to count on McGowan till I see him show something in practices during the year.  Look at some of the tweener post guys MissStake has signed in recent years.  McGowan is a lot like those.

Yeah, the in-state talent cycle is really exciting too.  This job is going to be a really good situation for Heath over the next few years if he doesn't screw the pooch.
[CENSORED]!

TulsaHogFan

How are we coming on Thadius Young?  (sp?)  I have not heard where he stands and what our chances are looking like.

pioneerhog

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 10, 2005, 05:24:15 pm
How are we coming on Thadius Young? (sp?) I have not heard where he stands and what our chances are looking like.
If I remember right he is suppose to be on the Hill this weekend for his offical visit. He has already been here 3 or 4 times and we are his last offical visit, so I like our chances.

TulsaHogFan

Do they need me to call him and close him?  If so give me his number, i will call and tell him i am from some other school where he visted.  I can personally destroy their chances.