Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did we really learn anything from last evening?

Started by Thehammer, October 09, 2005, 04:37:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehammer

Putting all the gushing aside from the media and some fans, can we really discern for a fact that the hogs are a better football team than two weeks ago?   I certainly can't.  We beat a team that lost to a D-2 team earlier in the year.   Our defense is still suspect, especially the way Jyles gashed us on qb runs.   Some players in our secondary continue to be in position to make a play, but always fall short.    We didn't work on a more diverse passing offense and we had a perfect opportunity to do so.   What we do know is:  Felix and Darren should be getting all the carries at tb from now on;  Nutt sitll sends out one receiver in passing situations;  RJ has good feet, but is still highly suspect as a true passing qb.

Other than kicking the crap out of another cupcake, I don't see that we made any progress last night. 

HawgWyld

Nope. We learned absolutely nothing. It was just a typical slaughter of a weak team. The only time we learn something about the Razorbacks from one of those games is when the Hogs manage to lose (remember the Citadel?)

hog caller

nope, we ran left all night and the long pass es were overthrown by 10-15 yards.
libackers were asleep or at least some were or a qb couldn't get that type yards.

we will be better next week because auburn is coming to town heheh!, heheh! har, har.

Boarsnest

Don't get this post wrong I am excited about MM coming to the Razorbacks. My concern is will Nutt be able to utilize his talents and keep offensive linemen to block for him in place. Due to past eight years I have lost my faith in
Nutt's coaching ability and recruiting ability.

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: Boarsnest on October 09, 2005, 05:57:00 pm
Don't get this post wrong I am excited about MM coming to the Razorbacks. My concern is will Nutt be able to utilize his talents and keep offensive linemen to block for him in place. Due to past eight years I have lost my faith in

We have some nice talent coming in on the O-line in next year's recruiting class. Plus, I think Luigs will make a dandy center next year as shown by his play last night in taking over for Kyle Roper. I worry more about our receiving corps than I do our O-line. Our receivers MUST become consistent and eliminate drops...especially with a guy like MM coming in who can deliver the ball beautifully. The last decent TRUE QB we had was Clint Stoerner, MJ was a great athlete but he was too helter skelter and didn't have much of an arm. I want to see what Mitch can do for the Hogs. Personally I think he can return this team to greatness. I think what we NEED more than anything is some studs on defense. That's our biggest glaring need right now.

DOGALUM

So have I man....so have I.  That said.....I counted several passes.....simple passes..... last night that ROJO flat missed, or minimized their effectivness by underthrowing.  These are passes that Mitch would not only make....but would put them where the needed to be.  The deep route that ROJO missed was nothing more than a plan to pacify the crowd by HDN.  The guy was covered nicely.  On several other plays, we had a step on them going deep, yet ROJO...whether by Nutt's order or not, threw the short route when there was 6 points waiting...if he could hit em....streaking down the field.  I'm not saying that Mitch will bring us a NC on his own......especially given the tremendous mountain that is Houston's ego that Mitch will have to see over....but what I am saying is that our passing game will be MUCH better next year.  Even if the play calling stays the same.  I promise you this........if Mitch sees a reciever with a step or two on a d-back on a post.....whether HDN is scared or not Mitch will air it out.  And mort times than not...he'll connect.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 09, 2005, 06:07:37 pm
So have I man....so have I.  That said.....I counted several passes.....simple passes..... last night that ROJO flat missed, or minimized their effectivness by underthrowing.  These are passes that Mitch would not only make....but would put them where the needed to be.  The deep route that ROJO missed was nothing more than a plan to pacify the crowd by HDN.  The guy was covered nicely.  On several other plays, we had a step on them going deep, yet ROJO...whether by Nutt's order or not, threw the short route when there was 6 points waiting...if he could hit em....streaking down the field.  I'm not saying that Mitch will bring us a NC on his own......especially given the tremendous mountain that is Houston's ego that Mitch will have to see over....but what I am saying is that our passing game will be MUCH better next year.  Even if the play calling stays the same.  I promise you this........if Mitch sees a reciever with a step or two on a d-back on a post.....whether HDN is scared or not Mitch will air it out.  And mort times than not...he'll connect.

Stop it Dogalum! You're already making me salivate over what we'll ACTUALLY be capable of next year. Just stop it man!  ;D

DOGALUM

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 09, 2005, 06:13:09 pm

Stop it Dogalum! You're already making me salivate over what we'll ACTUALLY be capable of next year. Just stop it man! ;D
GO TO A SPRINGDALE GAME!!   It will get you more excited about Razorback football than anything else!!  Ask Hogapalooza which game is more fun to go to.....Arkansas....or Springdale.    I could save you the trouble and answer it for him...but I need another fire hdn.  Go ahead....ask him.

Ask him!

Go ahead man.......ask him.

PigMan

I learned that we would do quite well in that league.  We might give it some thought. :)

DOGALUM

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 09, 2005, 06:16:51 pm
Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 09, 2005, 06:13:09 pm
So have I man....so have I. That said.....I counted several passes.....simple passes..... last night that ROJO flat missed, or minimized their effectivness by underthrowing. These are passes that Mitch would not only make....but would put them where the needed to be. The deep route that ROJO missed was nothing more than a plan to pacify the crowd by HDN. The guy was covered nicely. On several other plays, we had a step on them going deep, yet ROJO...whether by Nutt's order or not, threw the short route when there was 6 points waiting...if he could hit em....streaking down the field. I'm not saying that Mitch will bring us a NC on his own......especially given the tremendous mountain that is Houston's ego that Mitch will have to see over....but what I am saying is that our passing game will be MUCH better next year. Even if the play calling stays the same. I promise you this........if Mitch sees a reciever with a step or two on a d-back on a post.....whether HDN is scared or not Mitch will air it out. And mort times than not...he'll connect.

Stop it Dogalum! You're already making me salivate over what we'll ACTUALLY be capable of next year. Just stop it man! ;D
GO TO A SPRINGDALE GAME!! It will get you more excited about Razorback football than anything else!! Ask Hogapalooza which game is more fun to go to.....Arkansas....or Springdale. I could save you the trouble and answer it for him...but I need another fire hdn. Go ahead....ask him.

Ask him!

Go ahead man.......ask him.

I wanted to go to the game here in Shreveport but my wife wanted to go to the lake on her lone week off for the month. I tried my damndest to get left behind, but in the end I caved in and went with her to Heber Springs. I've been wanting to watch Springdale all year...just not feasible for me (other than that golden opportunity I missed) being down here in Shreveport and having a 2 year old I'd have to chase around the whole time if I drove up by myself. Pretty much the same thing keeping me from going to a Hog game. When the ole lady can go with us...I'll be at a Hog game, until then I'll let Cinderella play on her TV in the other room while daddy watches the Hogs in the living room!

WilsonHog

As far as learning anything about how well we'll compete against Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and maybe South Carolina, I seriously doubt it.  The difference in level of play, based on the athletes we get versus the ones ULM gets, makes learning much of any substance next to impossible. 

Golfer

Quote from: hog caller on October 09, 2005, 04:50:05 pm
nope, we ran left all night and the long pass es were overthrown by 10-15 yards.
libackers were asleep or at least some were or a qb couldn't get that type yards.

we will be better next week because auburn is coming to town heheh!, heheh! har, har.

Well maybe we need to put YOU in at "LIBACKER" next week.

Thehammer

Quote from: Golfer on October 09, 2005, 06:56:10 pm
Quote from: hog caller on October 09, 2005, 04:50:05 pm

Well maybe we need to put YOU in at "LIBACKER" next week.

That's the best you can do Golfy?   Attack the spelling and overlook the content of the post?   Instead of nit picking, why don't you try to get that golf club out of your butt and post an insightful reply. 

tophawg19

yep we learned we are the best team in the sun belt conference . and our coaches can coach at that level as long as we have better talent .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

toshortrock

i learned i will be going deer hunting next saturday,in case any fights break out on the sidelines,,somebody take some pictures
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

UAbandalum

Quote from: HawgWyld on October 09, 2005, 04:38:53 pm
Nope. We learned absolutely nothing. It was just a typical slaughter of a weak team. The only time we learn something about the Razorbacks from one of those games is when the Hogs manage to lose (remember the Citadel?)
Did we learn anything last night?  No.  Was it a typical slaughter of a weak team?  Hardly.  That goes to USC when they beat us 70-17.  What we saw was hardly a slaghter.  Could it have been a slaughter?  Yes, but as usual, Houston never wants to do that.

Jim Harris

I learned that Mortensen is not very good, but then no one else in the SEC offered him and Hawaii and June Jones wouldn't offer him, so it's really no surprise. I like our defensive alignment now with all the speed we have on the field. They still lack enough great defensive players to be dominant anymore this season, but at least there is speed to make plays.
I didn't see the long pass attempt by Johnson to Logan, but when I was watching I never saw Logan get any distance on any of their cornerbacks. I thought he was supposed to be a burner? Nutt indicated Sunday Logan stepped it up in the game; what did he do? I guess he must have blocked well.
Nutt will be continually reminded that he was a dumbass for not playing McFadden and Jones more in the Vanderbilt at the expense of letting plodder Howard get 100-something yards on a defense that was primed to surrender 200-plus to a McFadden or Jones.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

JaMarcus Russell in the last two games:

41-55-1 482 yards 4 TDs

That was Citadel-level dumbass, drake.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 10, 2005, 08:05:42 am
JaMarcus Russell in the last two games:

41-55-1 482 yards 4 TDs

That was Citadel-level dumbass, drake.

What was Citadel-level dumbass?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: drakehog on October 10, 2005, 07:56:09 am
Nutt will be continually reminded that he was a dumbass for not playing McFadden and Jones more in the Vanderbilt at the expense of letting plodder Howard get 100-something yards on a defense that was primed to surrender 200-plus to a McFadden or Jones.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 10, 2005, 08:09:34 am

Losing to Vanderbilt in itself should have cost him his job at the end of the season, and if it were Ford, Crowe, Kines and maybe even Hatfield coaching this team, the coach would be fired going 5-6 with one of the losses being to Vanderbilt, and I don't care if they had Tom Brady at [CENSORED] quarterback. But not Nutt, no we can't fire the great man, wonderful human, the one-of-us Houston Nutt. No. we must continue to plod.
Maybe Kyle Dickerson should go in and bitch to Nutt-squared and say he's pissed he's not starting. He'd get the nod Saturday. No, Kyle is smarter than that and a better person than that. He'll take his mop-up carries against ULM and block a punt or two here during the last six games.

DirkPiggler

I learned that Mortensen is not very good, but then no one else in the SEC offered him and Hawaii and June Jones wouldn't offer him, so it's really no surprise. I like our defensive alignment now with all the speed we have on the field. They still lack enough great defensive players to be dominant anymore this season, but at least there is speed to make plays.
I didn't see the long pass attempt by Johnson to Logan, but when I was watching I never saw Logan get any distance on any of their cornerbacks. I thought he was supposed to be a burner? Nutt indicated Sunday Logan stepped it up in the game; what did he do? I guess he must have blocked well.

Logan did have separation on the long pass.  To catch the pass would've required 3.8 forty speed.  It was way overthrown.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn