Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Notice to Houston, Rule Changes are Now in Effect for the Forward Pass

Started by Big_D, October 09, 2005, 01:45:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_D

This is a newspaper account about the forward pass in 1906, does this sound like HDN is still reading the rules on the forward pass wrong?

The pass works about like this:
A pass had to cross the line of scrimmage not more than five yards to the left or
right of the center, and couldn't be tossed more than twenty yards. To help the
referee's judgement, the field was chalked off into five-yard squares (hence the
new nickname "grid-iron"). An incomplete pass could be recovered by either side
if the ball had been touched. A pass caught behind the goal line wasn't a touch-
down, but a touchback, and the defending team took over the ball. With restri-
ctions like that, it was no wonder that 95 percent of the college coaches con-
sidered the pass a handmaiden to the plague. When you ran the ball, you at least
didn't need a roadmap of the field. The shape of the ball didn't help, either. In
the hands of most throwers, it was more ballon than oblate. Many quarterbacks
didn't pass it; they flung it awkwardly, and it looked more like a ruptured duck
in a high wind.

TulsaHogFan

Yea, i heard someone rumoring some new high tech rule that allowed a team to have more than one WR in the formation.  I told them that was just BS as i have not seen that done by Arkansas in years.

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 09, 2005, 05:27:16 pm
Do you think HDN would call a play that is a forward pass, if he had a QB that could throw it?

FIRE HDN!!!

In all honesty, yes. Our QB situation is pathetic this year. Matt Jones was not a good passer either. I'm curious to see how things pan out with Mitch. Will be the first time we have a QB that can TRULY throw the ball since I guess...Stoerner?

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 09, 2005, 05:37:11 pm
Yes, but I have read here many times how when Joe F. was here he taught Clint how to audible. I took it that Clint called a lot of his OWN plays.?.
If that is the case, and Clint is the most prolific passing QB we have ever had? Then are you sure HDN called them or did Clint call the pass plays.
Clint was a pretty good passer and we did go down field w/ it. I would like to know who called most of those Long pas plays?

FIRE HDN!!!

Does it matter? I was referring more to MM than HDN. I think MM will get to call his own game and is smart enough to do so. If he comes and plays like he is capable, HDN won't matter...only what Mitch wants to run. Hell look at Matt Jones...he ignored HDN most the time, as did Stoerner. QB's seem to get in trouble when they LISTEN to coach Nutt (see Robert Johnson).  ;D Nutt needs an offensive coordinator he isn't trying to neuter...plain and simple. Then our QB's might not have to audible so much.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins