Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive Backs

Started by dotnet, September 20, 2005, 08:37:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnet

The defensive backs were destroyed against USC.  There were people open by five yards and scoring touchdowns untouched.  My question is what is the problem?  Is it a defensive scheme?  Is it the talent?  Do we need to recruit and start brand new people in the secondary next year?  Is it that a majority of our secondary is underclassmen?  What does everyone think need to be done to correct the poor secondary play?  Do we have a chance to not get lit up by Croyle for 350 yards?

(By the way, I know that "Nutt is not an SEC coach."  The response "Nutt can't coach.  Fire HDN." need not reply.  I'm trying to ask a question about football.)

Oklahawg

The DBs won't see a collection of WRs like that the rest of the year. Croyle has enough skills to make some good throws. I see him as #3 behind Leinart and Cutler, if you want them ranked. We won't see team speed like USC until the LSU game, if then. Michael Grant, an A-A sprinter-type in track, was beat, badly, by Reggie Bush.

The CBs, besides Grant, lack the footspeed to keep up with the average-plus WR. The CBs, minus Coe, lack the oomph to play bump and run with the average-plus WR. None have been taught swivle technique well enough to use it in games (this is what allows them to back peddle and pivot on a dime to adjust to changes in routes). The handful of penalties vs. Vandy were the result of being close enough to the WRs (ordinary skills, at best, with Vandy's WRs vs. USC's WRs) that the hands got caught. The same penalties were impossible vs. USC because the WRs created such separation.

The safeties lack the speed to cover ordinary WRs. To complicate matters, the best safety skills are possessed by the worst tackler, Vaughn, whose inconsistency at the point of tackle is scary. Kelly has zero coverage skills. Richardson was a stopgap until someone--Washington? Forte? Thorton?--is ready, and should be back at CB. We have athletic types at safety who might flourish if we had tip-top coaching in the old 4-2-5 scheme. These safeties seem cut from the Zac Painter/Tony Bua mold--questionable pass skills but good nose for the ball and a lust for the line of scrimmage.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TULAWHOG

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 20, 2005, 08:50:39 pm
The DBs won't see a collection of WRs like that the rest of the year. Croyle has enough skills to make some good throws. I see him as #3 behind Leinart and Cutler, if you want them ranked. We won't see team speed like USC until the LSU game, if then. Michael Grant, an A-A sprinter-type in track, was beat, badly, by Reggie Bush.

The CBs, besides Grant, lack the footspeed to keep up with the average-plus WR. The CBs, minus Coe, lack the oomph to play bump and run with the average-plus WR. None have been taught swivle technique well enough to use it in games (this is what allows them to back peddle and pivot on a dime to adjust to changes in routes). The handful of penalties vs. Vandy were the result of being close enough to the WRs (ordinary skills, at best, with Vandy's WRs vs. USC's WRs) that the hands got caught. The same penalties were impossible vs. USC because the WRs created such separation.

The safeties lack the speed to cover ordinary WRs. To complicate matters, the best safety skills are possessed by the worst tackler, Vaughn, whose inconsistency at the point of tackle is scary. Kelly has zero coverage skills. Richardson was a stopgap until someone--Washington? Forte? Thorton?--is ready, and should be back at CB. We have athletic types at safety who might flourish if we had tip-top coaching in the old 4-2-5 scheme. These safeties seem cut from the Zac Painter/Tony Bua mold--questionable pass skills but good nose for the ball and a lust for the line of scrimmage.
Michael grant concurrently had the only pass knockdown as he stayed with a receiver deep and made a nice play.  Albeit he had his share of mistakes but at least he is not perpetually burned like M. Coe (Vandy twice for TDs, and who knows how many against SC).  M. Grant has the most talent of any of our DBs and it makes sense to have the guy that was a bigtime recruit for Georgia as well as the first leg of our sprint relay team covering WRs versus M.Coe and his 4.5 speed that usually leaves him approximately 5-7 yards behind a reciever.
Bottom line:  Our DBs lack the talent and we don't start the one that has the most.  Grant should start at Boundary wit Vinnett opposite him and M. Coe (he's better than C. Houston's cluelessness) as the Nickel corner.

Oklahawg

Coe is the only one with some bump-n-run skill. His speed is in the 4.75 range. He looks the part, though. Does that count?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

Our cornerbacks would be fine if the safeties were fine.  The safeties are the problem with the defense as they were in 2004.  This is maddening given all the safeties Arkansas signed over the past few years.  This all started, you know, when the Hogs failed to sign an appropriate replacement for Ken Hamlin even when they knew he was headed out.  It was as though our coaching staff was completely taken aback.  Freaky.  Then in the 2004 class you'd think somebody would be aimed at being that prototypical free safety Arkansas had been known for.  No dice.  Some names were floated, but they did not have the size/speed quotient nor the enforcer ability.

No, we signed a bunch of guys with mediocre size/speed ratios.  Leftovers.  Raw athletes.  Not tough, aggressive football players.

The safeties are the problem.  They were the worst kind of mess against USC and in the fourth quarter against Vanderbilt, where the breakdown started.  Without the safety play, Herring's defense does not work.  Why do you think he wants more talent there?  So many bodies, so much dead weight.  That 2004 recruiting class is starting to tarnish.
[CENSORED]!

TULAWHOG

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 20, 2005, 10:12:00 pm
Our cornerbacks would be fine if the safeties were fine. The safeties are the problem with the defense as they were in 2004. This is maddening given all the safeties Arkansas signed over the past few years. This all started, you know, when the Hogs failed to sign an appropriate replacement for Ken Hamlin even when they knew he was headed out. It was as though our coaching staff was completely taken aback. Freaky. Then in the 2004 class you'd think somebody would be aimed at being that prototypical free safety Arkansas had been known for. No dice. Some names were floated, but they did not have the size/speed quotient nor the enforcer ability.

No, we signed a bunch of guys with mediocre size/speed ratios. Leftovers. Raw athletes. Not tough, aggressive football players.

The safeties are the problem. They were the worst kind of mess against USC and in the fourth quarter against Vanderbilt, where the breakdown started. Without the safety play, Herring's defense does not work. Why do you think he wants more talent there? So many bodies, so much dead weight. That 2004 recruiting class is starting to tarnish.
I have to say, I was fooled.  I honestly thought R. Kelly was going to be a good one.  I mean, he just looks like the next Hamlin but looks are ever so deceiving.

hog caller

what ever happened to popping a wide reciever at the line of scrimmage

foot speed isn't needed if the WR is sitting on his butt at the line if scrimmage

i don't ment to intend or even pretent that i'm a good coach ,but a hit at the line is bertter than not knowing where you are.  heeeeeelp somebody step up please!

TULAWHOG

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 20, 2005, 09:35:03 pm
Coe is the only one with some bump-n-run skill. His speed is in the 4.75 range. He looks the part, though. Does that count?
He's the only one that can Bump and Run b/c it's the only chance he has and apparently, he doesn't do it good enough.  Ya, he does look the part though...just before the snap.

hog caller

help! coe isn't a corner or  a track man. effort won't get it in this league. you nedd a few skills and speed is only one of them. we need help by next year maybe a good juco corner could help

what do you think?