Atlanta Braves 2013

Started by bsking, February 04, 2013, 03:27:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

HogCaller13

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 08, 2013, 11:52:25 am
we shall see

PP
Hopefully it will be a good series if the series happen. You Guys would avoid seeing Wainwright in Game 1 on Friday.
Respect Your Opponent, But Fear None!!! #1-0 WPS

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: bsking on February 04, 2013, 03:27:05 pm

Poised for a great season.  If we can hit for a little bit of average we could be the best team in the bigs.

LOL.....FAIL
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

pigture perfect

I was hoping for the Braves/Cards series all along. Good job this year. See you around next spring.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ucahogfan

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on October 08, 2013, 12:40:40 pm
LOL.....FAIL
Please tell me how that is a fail.

At the time, could you have seen our top 2 paid players both hit below the Mendoza line and lose their starting spots for the postseason and the top 2 LH relievers (non-closers) in the game be forced to get Tommy John and the staff ace break his ankle on a freak play?  Yet, this team still won 96 games and won the NL East.

The Braves had a great season with a very young core and will be here for the long haul.

ucahogfan

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 08, 2013, 08:30:04 am
Pirates, Braves, and Cards (specifically the lineup anticipated for the Cards in '14) are all ridiculously young.
The Cards are a veteran team this year on offense or at least an older team.  Now injuries did bring the age down, but Matt Carpenter would probably be the youngest position player at 27 on your team if everyone was healthy.  The pitching was very young indeed.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 08, 2013, 05:47:33 pm
The Cards are a veteran team this year on offense or at least an older team.  Now injuries did bring the age down, but Matt Carpenter would probably be the youngest position player at 27 on your team if everyone was healthy.  The pitching was very young indeed.

Agreed, but next year brings in Adams full-time, Wong, maybe Tavares, more play by the young pitchers....no Westbook, and Beltran and Freese might not be re-signed. Significantly lowers the age. But don't quote me as I'm only passing along what Jayson Stark was saying on Sunday about the Cards.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 08, 2013, 05:47:33 pm

Since everyone wasn't healthy and we had lots of injuries this year, we were a younger team than the veteran team that was assumed for '13. A lot of youngsters got playing experience for '14, which was a blessing in disguise. I'd have never guessed a Central title given all the injuries and resulting youth that was forced into the lineup...especially how tough the division was.

For the record, I was pulling for a StL/Atl series....much respect for Braves organization.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

AirForceHog

So what moves does everyone think the Braves will make in the offseason?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: AirForceHog on October 09, 2013, 07:15:19 pm
Make a qualifying offer to McCann but he will go to an AL team which is the best thing for his career. Maybe get rid of Uggla(I can hope).
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

jizzohn

HROHog

QuoteSo what moves does everyone think the Braves will make in the offseason?

Feel certain in McCann will be gone as well. I'd love to see them sign Cano, but almost certain that's a pipe dream, especially since Uggla is still under contract.

ucahogfan

Quote from: AirForceHog on October 09, 2013, 07:15:19 pm
1,  Make at least the qualifying offer to McCann.  Would be nice to have the Yankees 1st round pick in a deep 2014 draft.

2.  Re-sign Huddy.  He is a nice veteran piece on a young staff.

3.  Try and lock up J-Hey, Kimbrel, and Freeman for 5+ years each.

4.  Work with Uggla and BJ Upton to hit above the freaking Mendoza line.

HROHog

Quote3.  Try and lock up J-Hey, Kimbrel, and Freeman for 5+ years each.

+100

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

Well, it looks like our time at The Ted will quickly come to an end as a new stadium in the burbs that will open in 2017 was announced.  I like the move.  The Ted was cursed as we could never get over the top.  What do y'all think?

AirForceHog

I love the Ted. Not sure how I feel about this. The stadium really is nice. I don't get the high dollar amount they were stating to remodel/modernize. I understand a location change but it seems like an awful lot of money to move to the suburbs.

Jackrabbit Hog

I am at a loss as to how it has come to something like this.  What an exercise in fiscal irresponsibility and waste.

Turner Field is only a little over 15 years old, was one of the state-of-the-art retro ballparks built during the mid '90s, and was a terrific place to watch a ballgame.  In 2001 I took my son for a father-son bonding vacation to Atlanta to watch a Friday-Sunday weekend series between the Braves and the D'backs (turned out to be the season that the D'backs won the World Series).  My son was 12 at the time and a huge Braves fan.  We had the time of our lives and were amazed at how nice the ballpark and all its amenities were. 

Now here we are, just a few years later, and they are going to demolish the place because of a pishing contest between rich owners and incompetent governmental officials.  This is almost Twilight Zone bizarre.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 12, 2013, 11:27:49 am
I am at a loss as to how it has come to something like this.  What an exercise in fiscal irresponsibility and waste.

Turner Field is only a little over 15 years old, was one of the state-of-the-art retro ballparks built during the mid '90s, and was a terrific place to watch a ballgame.  In 2001 I took my son for a father-son bonding vacation to Atlanta to watch a Friday-Sunday weekend series between the Braves and the D'backs (turned out to be the season that the D'backs won the World Series).  My son was 12 at the time and a huge Braves fan.  We had the time of our lives and were amazed at how nice the ballpark and all its amenities were. 

Now here we are, just a few years later, and they are going to demolish the place because of a pishing contest between rich owners and incompetent governmental officials.  This is almost Twilight Zone bizarre.
Its a nice ballpark but it isn't anywhere near one of the top ones and it needs a lot of upgrades to even compete with the top 10 parks or so. Also the area around the park is horrible and you can't even describe in words how bad the parking and traffic is. Moving the ball park solves a lot of problems. It will give us one of the top ball parks, will be located closer to the people that actually go to the game(residents of North ATL and the burbs) and it will make a lot more money for the team which will allow the payroll to be increased to hopefully over 100 million.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

AirForceHog

I just want a nice atmosphere around the park. As it is now there is nothing that peaks my interest around the TED.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on November 16, 2013, 01:33:27 am
Its a nice ballpark but it isn't anywhere near one of the top ones and it needs a lot of upgrades to even compete with the top 10 parks or so. Also the area around the park is horrible and you can't even describe in words how bad the parking and traffic is. Moving the ball park solves a lot of problems. It will give us one of the top ball parks, will be located closer to the people that actually go to the game(residents of North ATL and the burbs) and it will make a lot more money for the team which will allow the payroll to be increased to hopefully over 100 million.

I'm sure all of that is true for someone who lives in or close to Atlanta.  Still, it highlights the economic nonsense of building stadiums in this era and how our priorities are all mixed up when it comes to municipal spending.

And, it probably highlights that I'm just a little sad that a stadium that gave my son and I a great memory is gonna be dust pretty soon.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ucahogfan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on November 16, 2013, 01:33:27 am
What is really hindering this team from increasing the payroll is the terrible TV deal we have.  A team like the Braves in the Atlanta metro market should be getting at least $50 million annually from a TV deal, but our deal is estimated at $10-20 million annually for the next 13 years with no out clause.  Whoever negotiated this deal for the Braves should have been fired on the spot.  To put it in perspective, both LA teams are getting over $180 million annually in TV money and even teams like the Astros are getting $60 million a year.  That alone can keep our payroll $15-20 million lower than it could be.

pigture perfect

Having gone to many games in Olld Fulton County, the Ted never did much for me, but I didn't see that change coming.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Brian McCann is officially gone. Who will the Bravo's get as a full time signal caller? I've thought Brian was just behind Yadi in the NL.

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 08, 2013, 03:45:13 pm
Brian McCann is officially gone. Who will the Bravo's get as a full time signal caller? I've thought Brian was just behind Yadi in the NL.
We have Gattis who showed to be a pretty good offensive player when given a full time job last year to catch.  Have Laird back as a veteran backup option.  Also have Christian Bethancourt in our farm system who is elite defensively and could be McCann's replacement.

McCann was a big loss, but it would appear that we did not pursue to re-sign him leaving us with some wiggle room to re-sign our top young players like Kimbrel, J-Hey, Freeman, and Simmons in the near future.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 08, 2013, 03:59:40 pm
We have Gattis who showed to be a pretty good offensive player when given a full time job last year to catch.  Have Laird back as a veteran backup option.  Also have Christian Bethancourt in our farm system who is elite defensively and could be McCann's replacement.

McCann was a big loss, but it would appear that we did not pursue to re-sign him leaving us with some wiggle room to re-sign our top young players like Kimbrel, J-Hey, Freeman, and Simmons in the near future.
And we are gonna need all of that wiggle room to sign them

gutshot

Yeah, Kimbrel is going to be the highest paid closer in the game and I bet he will NOT be receiving those paychecks from the Braves.  Frank Wren has always been a magician and piecing together a strong bullpen, but he doesn't do it with outrageous contracts.  Hopefully someone can step up and fill the role in a couple of years (Shae Simmons has raised eyebrows in the Minors and the Arizona Fall League) because I can't see Atlanta giving a reliever a long term deal with the team payroll remaining at the level it has for the past few years. 

jrulz83

Bobby Cox made the Hall, well deserved. He was one of my favorite managers to watch.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

gutshot

Great day for Braves fans.  Let's hope the BBWAA got it right with their votes, and Glavine and Maddux are able to join him in Cooperstown this summer. 

pigture perfect

It would be robbery of Glavine and Maddox don't make it at some point.

ucahogfan

Both should make the Hall and the voters who don't put them on their ballots (at least Maddux) should have their votes revoked because of their stupidity.

ucahogfan

Quote from: gutshot on December 09, 2013, 07:43:16 am
Yeah, Kimbrel is going to be the highest paid closer in the game and I bet he will NOT be receiving those paychecks from the Braves.  Frank Wren has always been a magician and piecing together a strong bullpen, but he doesn't do it with outrageous contracts.  Hopefully someone can step up and fill the role in a couple of years (Shae Simmons has raised eyebrows in the Minors and the Arizona Fall League) because I can't see Atlanta giving a reliever a long term deal with the team payroll remaining at the level it has for the past few years.
Which really sucks because he is on a whole other level from every one else.  Maybe he gives us a hometown discount as he is from Alabama or somewhere in the Braves territory if I remember correctly.

ucahogfan

Well, looks like we added Ryan Doumit from the Twins in exchange for Gilmartin.  Doumit is a possible replacement for McCann.  He is a switch hitting catcher with some pop in his bat, but has battled injuries.  Could be a solid add for 3.5 mil next year.  Gilmartin probably didn't progress as quickly as the Braves wanted him too as a finesse polished LHP out of Florida State in 2011.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 09, 2013, 02:04:57 pm
Both should make the Hall and the voters who don't put them on their ballots (at least Maddux) should have their votes revoked because of their stupidity.

I assumed that both Glavine and Maddux were automatic first ballot Hall of Famers. Is there any logical reason to think they won't be?

gutshot

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 18, 2013, 06:08:42 pm
Well, looks like we added Ryan Doumit from the Twins in exchange for Gilmartin.  Doumit is a possible replacement for McCann.  He is a switch hitting catcher with some pop in his bat, but has battled injuries.  Could be a solid add for 3.5 mil next year.  Gilmartin probably didn't progress as quickly as the Braves wanted him too as a finesse polished LHP out of Florida State in 2011.

I never liked that pick from the get-go.  Gilmartin was never first round material.  The idea of "signability" got the better of Tony DeMacio that June and it turned out to be a colossal bust.   Easily his worst draft year to date, with pretty much only JR Graham and Tommy LaStella having any potential to be decent major leaguers.

Of course the man they wanted to begin with (Robert Stephenson) was taken before he reached the Braves, but there were much better 1st round options available at the time Gilmartin was picked.  Henry Owens, now a top 100 prospect with the Red Sox, comes to mind. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dhornjr1 on December 18, 2013, 08:27:03 pm
I assumed that both Glavine and Maddux were automatic first ballot Hall of Famers. Is there any logical reason to think they won't be?
Nope, but do you think they will be unanimous selections?  There is no doubt that both should be first ballot HOFs, but there are some voters who don't vote for first timers and I was saying that those who don't vote for them should have their votes for the future revoked.  This is the same group of voters who didn't elect Biggio last year because he might have taken roids even though I'm certain he did not.

ucahogfan

Quote from: gutshot on December 19, 2013, 04:02:46 pm

I never liked that pick from the get-go.  Gilmartin was never first round material.  The idea of "signability" got the better of Tony DeMacio that June and it turned out to be a colossal bust.   Easily his worst draft year to date, with pretty much only JR Graham and Tommy LaStella having any potential to be decent major leaguers.

Of course the man they wanted to begin with (Robert Stephenson) was taken before he reached the Braves, but there were much better 1st round options available at the time Gilmartin was picked.  Henry Owens, now a top 100 prospect with the Red Sox, comes to mind.
Nope, I remember watching Gilmartin in 2009 when they played the SR against the Hogs and he was topping out at 87-88 and was a purely finesse pitcher.  Yeah, he was like 90-92 as a junior, but I would have liked to select someone with a higher ceiling like Owens or Jackie Bradley Jr.

That 2011 draft is going to hurt our depth for years to come.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 19, 2013, 04:18:45 pm
Nope, but do you think they will be unanimous selections?  There is no doubt that both should be first ballot HOFs, but there are some voters who don't vote for first timers and I was saying that those who don't vote for them should have their votes for the future revoked.  This is the same group of voters who didn't elect Biggio last year because he might have taken roids even though I'm certain he did not.

Oh, I thought you meant some people wouldn't vote for them because of suspicions of steroid use.

Maddux should be a unanimous selection. In my opinion, he was unquestionably the best pitcher in baseball for at least a six or seven consecutive year period and was the overall best pitcher for his generation.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dhornjr1 on December 19, 2013, 08:53:14 pm
Oh, I thought you meant some people wouldn't vote for them because of suspicions of steroid use.

Maddux should be a unanimous selection. In my opinion, he was unquestionably the best pitcher in baseball for at least a six or seven consecutive year period and was the overall best pitcher for his generation.
I wouldn't think so, but everyone who played during the steroid era will at least have that question brought forth which is stupid and people who won't vote for deserving players because they think they might have taken steroids with no evidence that they did should have their vote revoked.

And Maddux should definitely be a unanimous selection, but he probably won't because of some voters who want to be different.  If a voter doesn't vote for Maddux, they might as well turn in a blank ballot.