Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BEARS TAKE SOUTHLAND TITLE WITH UNDEFEATED SEASON

Started by Seminole Indian, November 19, 2017, 06:53:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

CONWAY, Ark. _ The University of Central Arkansas Bears made it official and undisputed on a cold, windy Saturday afternoon on "The Stripes."

A convincing 34-0 shutout over the Abilene Christian Wildcats earned the third-ranked Bears their first undefeated and outright Southland Conference championship. UCA, which last won the SLC title in 2012, finished the regular season 10-1 overall and 9-0 in SLC, earning a first-round bye in the upcoming FCS Playoffs and a second-round home game on Dec. 2. It will be UCA's second straight trip to the playoffs and second consecutive season to host a game.

The win was UCA's 10th consecutive since a season-opening loss at Big 12 Kansas State.

"I'm proud of these guys,' said fourth-year coach Steve Campbell. "I'm glad to be able to win the conference championship, but that's not our ultimate goal. That was one of our goals, and this was a huge goal, to win the conference championship and go undefeated, but our ultimate goal is to win the national championship. And the only way to do that is to win the next game you play. And that becomes the most important game. And that's where we'll turn our attention very quickly.'

The Bears got the Wildcats' attention quickly on Saturday, rolling up 495 yards of total offense and holding ACU (2-9, 2-7) to just 172 total yards, and only 25 yards on the ground. The Wildcats, starting a backup quarterback in senior Kade Munden due to an injury, finished with only six first downs had the ball for just 19:09.

UCA sophomore running back Carlos Blackman led a highly efficient UCA ground game, gaining 123 yards on 20 carries (6.2 per carry) and scored on an eight-yard run in the fourth quarter. Senior quarterback Hayden Hildebrand tossed a 78-yard touchdown pass to fellow senior Brandon Cox on the second play of the game and the Bears never looked back.

Hildebrand finished 10 of 18 passing for 176 yards, while Cox caught three passes for 91 yards. Three other running backs topped the 50-yard mark as senior Jarvis Cooper had 60 yards on just four carries (15.0), redshirt freshman Kierre Crossley had 56 on 17 attempts and junior Cedric Battle added 52 on eight rushes.

"It was a great game,' said Campbell. "In all three phases, offense, defense and special teams, everybody contributed and did a lot of good stuff.  We're getting better and better, closer and closer, and that's great to see. That's what great football teams do, get better as the season goes on. And we are definitely doing that.'

UCA scored on four of its five first-half possessions to grab a 20-0 lead at the half. The Bears' first-quarter total of 204 yards was more than the Wildcats had the entire game. UCA finished the first half with 347 yards.

UCA's defense, which pitched its first shutout of the season, has limited its last three opponents to a combined total of 103 yards on the ground and 24 total points. Senior linebacker George Odum had a team-high nine tackles, while sophomore safety Juan Jackson had six tackles and sophomore defensive end Chris Terrell had five tackles, two tackles for loss and a sack.

After Cox' long touchdown reception, Cooper went 38 yards for a touchdown in the final seconds of the first quarter. Junior placekicker Matt Cummins added a pair of 26- and 25-yard field goals before halftime. Battle capped a 5-play, 38-yard drive with a 2-yard touchdown run with 8:14 left in the third quarter before Blackman scored the game's final touchdown with 10:28 left to play.

" I think it's a process, and I think we're still getting better,' said Hildebrand, who is No. 2 in career passing yards at UCA and No. 2 in the FCS in passing efficiency. "Which is a good thing to say going into the playoffs.'

UCA celebrated the outright championship on Senior Day for 21 players who have combined to win 33 games over the past four years and and will  now make consecutive playoff appearances. UCA beat Illinois State in the first round last season and then lost to No. 2 Eastern Washington on the road in Cheyney, Wash.

"They love each other, they love football, they love playing the game, they love competing,' said Campbell. "They are a fun group. We talk about having an edge. We were good last year, really good. We went 8-1 in the conference but were missing a little bit of edge and came up just a little bit short. So we challenged the guys to have a little more of an edge this year. Every day do a little something that will make you better.

"And if we'll do that, if you have 100 guys developing a little more of an edge, then you're 100 times better. Guys have done that, and in doing that, have developed into a cohesive unit, a very unselfish group that plays hard for each other. And we've got a lot of talent, some really good football players.'

The Bears will host a Watch Party at Estes Stadium at 10 a.m. Sunday for the FCS Playoffs Selection Show on ESPNU. All fans are invited, with the west stands open.

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2017/11/18/football-bears-take-southland-title-with-undefeated-season.aspx
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Wonder how much longer it will be before a bigger school comes knocking on his door and forces UCA to go looking for a new head coach? May happen this winter as some of the P5 schools will be looking for new coaches and as they fill their vacancies, possibly from the better known G5 schools then those G5 schools will in turn raid the smaller G5 schools or even dip into the FCS ranks.

Methinks Campbell's time to leave UCA is drawing near.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 19, 2017, 07:24:37 am
He has certainly produced a track record that will garner attention as we head into the coaches merry go round time of year.   

I have no idea what kind of offense he runs but if it is anything like the HUNH I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU come calling should they lose Anderson to another school this winter. Not so sure I would be against that either. He has built UCA into a real power FCS school. I don't think Hugh Freeze had much more experience before he came to ASU.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hogfan14

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 19, 2017, 07:31:31 am
I have no idea what kind of offense he runs but if it is anything like the HUNH I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU come calling should they lose Anderson to another school this winter. Not so sure I would be against that either. He has built UCA into a real power FCS school. I don't think Hugh Freeze had much more experience before he came to ASU.

Reminds me a little bit of Auburn's offense. Not much HUNH but run-oriented spread.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 19, 2017, 07:31:31 am

He is only 47, thought he was older than that.

Great coach.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Sweet Feet