Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 22 THREAD: #4 Arkansas (16-4, 3-0 SEC) @ Charlotte (11-8, 2-1 C-USA)

Started by Razorbacks#1, March 21, 2018, 07:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudgepork

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 21, 2018, 06:18:07 pm
Patten has good stuff....I'm not sure why he hasn't found success. Let's hope he fails today.

He's a walk machine.  Has no control.  I hope he walks in 6 runs

Wisco Pig

bosshog84

Wisco Pig

Biggers (.361), one for four with a single, bats next.

He flies out to center.

Arkansas is down to its last out.   Cole is next.

kennymayne

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 21, 2018, 06:18:07 pm
Patten has good stuff....I'm not sure why he hasn't found success. Let's hope he fails today.

Couldn't throw strikes when he was here, if memory serves.

SPAL

I think people who don't follow baseball as a sport and just follow the Razorbacks see the name on the front of the jersey and equate it to football as if it is remotely the same.

SPAL

Quote from: kennymayne on March 21, 2018, 06:21:51 pm
Couldn't throw strikes when he was here, if memory serves.

Yeah, that was the problem. I just never knew why he couldn't .

Wisco Pig

Cole (0-4, .369) strikes out swinging to end the game.

Charlotte wins, 6-3.

kennymayne

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 21, 2018, 06:22:37 pm
I think people who don't follow baseball as a sport and just follow the Razorbacks see the name on the front of the jersey and equate it to football as if it is remotely the same.

Yep, these are the games where you want to stay away from the Facebook comment section and twitter replies.

swineology

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 21, 2018, 06:09:57 pm
Trying to find a bright spot, sometimes a humbling game like this gets a teams mind right for a major opponent coming up.  Attitude adjustment

Why would we need an attitude adjustment after sweeping the Cats?

Terrible pitching after Loseke
Bad approaches at the plate.
Too many errors

Recipe for a loss

Oh well, let's go get a series win against the swamp lizards

WPS!

SPAL

Tough loss but not really a huge shock considering the opponents before and after, the layoff, the road trip, the pitching parade, etc. I was really concerned about coming out flat today. I wish we had played yesterday.

Razorbacks#1

3                        FINAL                 6

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | - |  R  |  H  | E  |LOB
Arkansas        0| 2 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | -  |  3  |  7  | 3  | 8   
Charlotte        0| 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 3 | x | -  |  6  |  9  | 2  | 7   

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Knot2brite

Going back to the inning where we had runners at third and second with no outs. We have to take advantage of everything on the road. Can't let teams stick around. Onward to Florida.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Wisco Pig

Bruce (2-0) gets the win.
Ramage (0-1) gets the loss.
Patten gets credit for his 2nd save.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 21, 2018, 06:22:37 pm

Well we needed a FG then

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: swineology on March 21, 2018, 06:24:15 pm

Terrible pitching after Loseke
Bad approaches at the plate.
Too many errors

Recipe for a loss

Oh well, let's go get a series win against the swamp lizards

3 errors in 8th?   That wont work at all

WPS!

Razorbacks#1

Awesome job Wisco Pig as always on the PBP! Thanks to all the folks who bring quality input to the game thread as well! Let's get the Florida Series!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on March 21, 2018, 06:28:06 pm
Awesome job Wisco Pig as always on the PBP! Thanks to all the folks who bring quality input to the game thread as well! Let's get the Florida Series!

Thanks for the scoreboards and all your good work, Razorbacks#1.

ricepig

We were going to throw a lot of guys today to get in some work, otherwise Loseke would have struck out 26 of the 27 outs. Now, the hitting and the errors weren't very good baseball, hopefully the weather is good in Gainesville.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 21, 2018, 06:25:31 pm
Going back to the inning where we had runners at third and second with no outs. We have to take advantage of everything on the road. Can't let teams stick around. Onward to Florida.

it makes the baseball god's desert you when you waste opportunities like that.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Razrpig256

To the poster asking if other teams lose games like this, yes.

The rest of the SEC is 63-17 in midweek games this year. The Hogs are now 5-1, so slightly above average percentage-wise. Three of the 5 were against quality teams in Arizona and Texas, but losing to RPI 180 Charlotte is certainly not ideal. Hopefully we win enough games against the RPI monster that is the SEC so that it won't matter.

Edit: Charlotte's RPI jumped all the way to 147 with this win. Hogs down from 11 to 18.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Wisco Pig on March 21, 2018, 06:29:12 pm
Thanks for the scoreboards and all your good work, Razorbacks#1.

Thanks, but I am just filling in until   A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S   gets back! Go HOGS!

THUNDER!

swineology

jry04

Quote from: Razrpig256 on March 21, 2018, 06:35:11 pm
To the poster asking if other teams lose games like this, yes.

The rest of the SEC is 63-17 in midweek games this year. The Hogs are now 5-1, so slightly above average percentage-wise. Three of the 5 were against quality teams in Arizona and Texas, but losing to RPI 180 Charlotte is certainly not ideal. Hopefully we win enough games against the RPI monster that is the SEC so that it won't matter.

Edit: Charlotte's RPI jumped all the way to 147 with this win. Hogs down from 11 to 18.
Vandy lost to Eastern Kentucky last week. They are 200+ in the RPI. A&M lost to UT Arlington. Miss State lost to SELA who is around 150 RPI. All were midweek games.

Heck, Florida just lost a game to 143 RPI South Carolina. I know it is a conference game, but SC is not very good this year. Charlotte is around the same quality as far as a loss goes. These losses happen, and it probably will not be the last. We need 20 SEC wins we will likely end up a national seed.

Pudgepork

Quote from: swineology on March 21, 2018, 06:24:15 pm

Attitude adjustment in a this case means don't take any game for granted. It was very clear that other than Loseke, Kjerstadt and Fletcher, the Hogs didnt play even close to the last 10 days.   A game like this should help them focus and bring their a game.  Hog teams have always played better as underdogs.

If they've gotten overconfident and complacent, today should have cured that problemo

Kevin

game like this total upset me. I know the mantra here is that is baseball.

I don't buy that on games like this. we slept walked through this game.

we threw it away. it was damp, cold, and against a average team at best, it sound like there were ready to get on the plane, and head to warmer climate.

when it comes to hosting, we are not lsu, vandy, florida who get the benefit of the doubt when we lose games like this. I will remind you the year we swept south Carolina at their place, and they lost to a division 2 team, and guess who hosted and who didn't.

if the team goes out there mental & physical prepared to play and gets beat that is one thing. but to not be ready to play, to me that is not just baseball.

spal, i guess i might get a vacation for this post.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SPAL

Quote from: Kevin on March 21, 2018, 08:26:52 pm
game like this total upset me. I know the mantra here is that is baseball.

I don't buy that on games like this. we slept walked through this game.

we threw it away. it was damp, cold, and against a average team at best, it sound like there were ready to get on the plane, and head to warmer climate.

when it comes to hosting, we are not lsu, vandy, florida who get the benefit of the doubt when we lose games like this. I will remind you the year we swept south Carolina at their place, and they lost to a division 2 team, and guess who hosted and who didn't.

if the team goes out there mental & physical prepared to play and gets beat that is one thing. but to not be ready to play, to me that is not just baseball.

spal, i guess i might get a vacation for this post.

Of course not. This isn't a bad post. Sure, its negative but I'm finding it hard to disagree. It's a negative post using logic and reason...this is just good chatter.

elksnort

It's hard to get too upset when you consider the timing of the opponent, weather, etc. We also threw only our least of our pitchers. Guys sat around yesterday likely, etc. And the gators are looming.

BroyledNutts

What the heck happened?!?

I take time out from my busy baseball schedule to help the brother in law, and find out that the Hogs decided to reenact Bad News Bears today? I read through the thread, and, ouch. Sounds like nothing went the Hogs way, save a couple homers and a good start from Loeske ... I hope he's finally getting his sea legs ... DVH likes to feed a struggling bull pen to the sharks once in a while to let them get some battle damage, and boy, it sounds like the medics were busy today. There's some guys on the pitching staff that have to decide whether they are going to be contributing members to this team or not; and time is running out on their decision.

Did Charlotte throw a minor leaguer at us today, or was it sleeting and 5* on the field, and we were playing in shorts? This one reminds me of the mid week series a couple years ago when we were rolling and went to Nebraska - cold, dreary weather, a hot pitcher - we couldn't do anything right and got trucked ... Maybe it's good there was only one game played.

Oh, Baseball ... you fickle, heartless, merciless wench, you ... making us feel like kings, only to pants us in front of the whole school a moment later.

Well ... I hope they got the road yips out of their system, got that much anticipated come to Jesus revival from DVH after the game, and are ready to go play some actual baseball in Gainesville this weekend.

jry04

#8 Vandy (15 RPI) is currently down 8-4 in the 8th to #274 Belmont. They lost to 200+ EKU last week, as I previously mentioned. 

Randohoggie

Nobody likes a loss, but to get upset over a single baseball loss, that's a waste of energy.  Hardly used pitchers, a couple of uncharacteristic errors and bang - a loss.

Not being ready to play?  Broad statement.  Kjerstad was, hitting 2 HR.  Loseke was, pitching 3 great innings.  Biggers only went 1-5, but he ripped one to the wall that is out of the park most of the time.

JHicks3636

Just got to Amsterdam and it the news I was hoping to see. Let's go get Florida.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 21, 2018, 09:30:11 pm
What the heck happened?!?

I take time out from my busy baseball schedule to help the brother in law, and find out that the Hogs decided to reenact Bad News Bears today? I read through the thread, and, ouch. Sounds like nothing went the Hogs way, save a couple homers and a good start from Loeske ... I hope he's finally getting his sea legs ... DVH likes to feed a struggling bull pen to the sharks once in a while to let them get some battle damage, and boy, it sounds like the medics were busy today. There's some guys on the pitching staff that have to decide whether they are going to be contributing members to this team or not; and time is running out on their decision.

Did Charlotte throw a minor leaguer at us today, or was it sleeting and 5* on the field, and we were playing in shorts? This one reminds me of the mid week series a couple years ago when we were rolling and went to Nebraska - cold, dreary weather, a hot pitcher - we couldn't do anything right and got trucked ... Maybe it's good there was only one game played.

Oh, Baseball ... you fickle, heartless, merciless wench, you ... making us feel like kings, only to pants us in front of the whole school a moment later.

Well ... I hope they got the road yips out of their system, got that much anticipated come to Jesus revival from DVH after the game, and are ready to go play some actual baseball in Gainesville this weekend.
I'm with you. Maybe it's good to get a wake up call before the huge Florida series this weekend. Come back to earth a little bit to realize we can't just walk out and win every game.

pigture perfect

Fundamentals are still important. I'm not as much upset over the loss, but the way we lost. On defense, look at the errors and walks late in the game. Terrible. Offensively, you've got to advance runners. We could have throttled this team had we scored when we had a man on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. One get thrown out at the plate and we can't get the man on 2nd to ever reach 3rd. Terrible. I'm not as upset with our pitching as most are perhaps. All those guys need work. It was a perfect time to get them some. Again, errors killed them.

Great work by our EI crew, let's go slay the Swamp Dragons.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

311Hog

it seemed like DVH wanted to see some things from certain players thus the merry go round on the mound. Almost like this was a scrimmage.

jbell96

I know most people on here aren't freaking out, but to those who are, I leave you with this:

1. It's a mid week game on the road
2. Loseke looked amazing in his 3 innings of work
3. Charlotte isn't the worst team in the nation (They beat Wake Forest in a midweek last week, and Wake has won its first two ACC series over Florida State & Louisville, both of whom are ranked in the top 15)
4. Everyone will likely be extra focused for Florida after not playing well yesterday.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: 311Hog on March 22, 2018, 10:09:18 am
it seemed like DVH wanted to see some things from certain players thus the merry go round on the mound. Almost like this was a scrimmage.
I did not watch the game, just kept up with moments on EI and twitter.  Sounded like some costly errors gave them a couple runs, but why were we only able to score 3?  6 is by no means a good number to give up to Charlotte, but we should have been able to overcome the merry go round on the mound by the way our offense can perform.

Again, I did not watch the game.  I'm just curious as to why we had such a low offensive output (other than Kjerstad's 3 RBIs)?  Did Charlotte throw their ace?

SPAL

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on March 22, 2018, 03:41:37 pm
I did not watch the game, just kept up with moments on EI and twitter.  Sounded like some costly errors gave them a couple runs, but why were we only able to score 3?  6 is by no means a good number to give up to Charlotte, but we should have been able to overcome the merry go round on the mound by the way our offense can perform.

Again, I did not watch the game.  I'm just curious as to why we had such a low offensive output (other than Kjerstad's 3 RBIs)?  Did Charlotte throw their ace?

Sounded like most of their guys were anywhere from 85-89 and threw a lot of off speed stuff. Just sounded to me like our timing was off. It happens.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 22, 2018, 08:16:26 pm
Sounded like most of their guys were anywhere from 85-89 and threw a lot of off speed stuff. Just sounded to me like our timing was off. It happens.
Yeah, we do not see much of that in SEC play.  Kentucky was a team full of guys 92+ and we saw what we did to them.  Florida is the same way.  All three of their weekend starters are 92-97 with plus breaking stuff.  I do think their stud closer is more 88-90 so he could do well against us.