Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are 2 games you recall that the Refs pissed you off to the brink of rage?

Started by Ben, March 20, 2018, 11:02:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Another game that is rarely mentioned but also was extremely frustrating was the 2003 Auburn game.  If you will remember, we were coming off back-to-back road upsets of Texas and Alabama, and were ranked #7 in the country. 

This was a very good Auburn team that would go on to be undefeated in 2004.  They had an outstanding defense.  We had difficulty moving the ball against them.  But, we had two huge plays that would have made the difference - and both were called back due to incorrectly called holding penalties on George Wilson.

The first is a long run by Ced Cobbs (at the 2:48 mark), and the second is a long TD run by Matt Jones (at the 4:47 mark).  In the first one, it actually appears that Wilson is the one being held (notice the db pulling on Wilson's jersey or face mask as Cobbs races by).  In the second, Wilson lunged at the DB, who tried to spin around and stumbled over Wilson's helmet and arms.  Didn't look like holding in real time, or slow mo replay . . . and still doesn't today.

We lost 10-3.

Bad calls.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 03:28:46 pm
When Gary and Verne are defending ARKANSAS against the Tebow-era Florida Gators, you know things are messed up.

NO DOUBT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cc

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on March 20, 2018, 11:58:32 am
It wasn't so much of a culmination of bad calls, but I do remember being enraged during the 2009 LSU game. LSU was driving down the field with 30 seconds left and no timeouts when Ridley was clearly tackled in bounds but the refs ruled him out of bounds, stopping the clock. Given Les Miles' horrendous clock management history that might have been the difference seeing as how LSU kicked a 41 yard field goal to tie it and send it into OT.

Yes.  It wasn't even close to out of bounds. 

hoglady

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 11:03:31 am
This horse has been beaten to death, but UF '09 is the clear-cut #1. 

No doubt - the refs literally stole that game from Arkansas and gave it Florida.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

umpqua

Anyone remember the refs name that called the penalty in the SMU game? His initials were HN.

bphi11ips

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 20, 2018, 03:29:24 pm
Another game that is rarely mentioned but also was extremely frustrating was the 2003 Auburn game.  If you will remember, we were coming off back-to-back road upsets of Texas and Alabama, and were ranked #7 in the country. 

This was a very good Auburn team that would go on to be undefeated in 2004.  They had an outstanding defense.  We had difficulty moving the ball against them.  But, we had two huge plays that would have made the difference - and both were called back due to incorrectly called holding penalties on George Wilson.

The first is a long run by Ced Cobbs (at the 2:48 mark), and the second is a long TD run by Matt Jones (at the 4:47 mark).  In the first one, it actually appears that Wilson is the one being held (notice the db pulling on Wilson's jersey or face mask as Cobbs races by).  In the second, Wilson lunged at the DB, who tried to spin around and stumbled over Wilson's helmet and arms.  Didn't look like holding in real time, or slow mo replay . . . and still doesn't today.

We lost 10-3.

Bad calls.

The phantom holding call is number one on my list of all-time most suspicious calls.  Matt Jones was well downfield before the flag was thrown at the line of scrimmage.  Auburn had been ranked number 6 in preseason but lost their first two games to 8th ranked USC (W) and Ga Tech.  They were on a 3-game winning streak coming into Fayetteville and had upset 7th ranked Tennessee the week before.  It just didn't feel right.

This one is number two:

Florida and LSU are two more that don't pass the smell test.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Copenhagen Kid

The Copenhagen Kid

And Bama game when refs let them lineup at end of game with no timeouts and 20 seconds or so left 2007?

Porkys Revenge

The charging call against Todd Day when Wimp coached Bama. They waived off the shot. Total bs.

Dark Helmet Hog

SSFrazorback

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 02:59:13 pm

The magic yard for Tebow is at the 2:15 mark in this video:

Watching those brought all the anger back. Grr!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 12:09:14 pm
Florida 09
Auburn 2010

The level of official incompetency in those two games was astounding.

AU was bad officiating that cost us a game, UF was blatant cheating by refs..

oldfart

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on March 20, 2018, 11:58:32 am
It wasn't so much of a culmination of bad calls, but I do remember being enraged during the 2009 LSU game. LSU was driving down the field with 30 seconds left and no timeouts when Ridley was clearly tackled in bounds but the refs ruled him out of bounds, stopping the clock. Given Les Miles' horrendous clock management history that might have been the difference seeing as how LSU kicked a 41 yard field goal to tie it and send it into OT.

i remember someone on here had that clip had that play on his avatar....such an absolute blatant poor call

hoghearted

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 03:28:46 pm
When Gary and Verne are defending ARKANSAS against the Tebow-era Florida Gators, you know things are messed up.

I remember Terrell Owens Tweeting about it during the game. Straight up said Arkansas was getting cheated.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hamsam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

rkjones

I was at the game at Auburn '10 but can't seem to remember specifics.  Can somebody summarize the egregious reffing?

Swestwill66

Quote from: rkjones on March 20, 2018, 10:14:30 pm
I was at the game at Auburn '10 but can't seem to remember specifics.  Can somebody summarize the egregious reffing?

All I remember about that game is Cam running for a million and throwing for a million !

PonderinHog

Thanks for all the precious memories, Hogville.

How about this one?  @MSU 1998  We was robbed...

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 11:19:16 am
UF '09 is the only time I've ever thought, "Okay. These aren't mistakes. This is just cheating."
My wife, who never blames refs, said the same that day.

However, SMU '82 is my #1.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 11:03:31 am
This horse has been beaten to death, but UF '09 is the clear-cut #1.

Go look up 1971 Liberty Bowl. That is #1
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 21, 2018, 06:00:58 am
Go look up 1971 Liberty Bowl. That is #1

I thought of that one, too.  Bad calls happen every game.  The ones you remember are blatantly wrong, occur under suspicious circumstances, and determine the outcome of the game.  That was the '71 Liberty Bowl.

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2018, 11:35:54 pm
Thanks for all the precious memories, Hogville.

How about this one?  @MSU 1998  We was robbed...

All I remember about that game was listening to it on the radio, our placekicker being suspended, and thinking beforehand we'd have a huge letdown after being so close the week before.

What happened in Starkville that year?

razCzar

There have been only two that really sent me over the top.

The very first was during the waning moments of Hogs-Vols '71 Liberty Bowl, during which Preston Watts and Company stole the game from us on two very obviously bad calls.  I was even personally called-out for the only time by a couple surrounding fans with "sensitive ears".  Read later that CFB never got over this one above all others.

But the '09 FLarceny is the 'granddaddy of them all'.

Jean-Luc Pigard

We lost 10-3.

Bad calls.

Wasn't the following week the Florida game where we came back from 33-7 to make it 33-28?  Seems like we had Florida stopped late but Bua was called for roughing the passer or a late hit out of bounds or something?

Am I remembering correctly, or did I make that up?

PonderinHog

HogShat

09 Tebow is def tops for me. I respected the guy, until I read his book. With all of his convictions he clearly displayed, and talked about, why in his book did he say something to the effect of "we barely got past a scrappy Arkansas team." I really thought as upstanding guy as he seemed to be, he would have addressed the obvious cheating.

The other which I can't believe no one has mentioned is Perry Costello's strike zone in the 2012 CWS against USCe.

hogcards

Refresh my memory, I remember there being some nonsense in the Auburn/Cam Newton game, but I can't remember specifically what they were.  Wasn't there something with the ball crossing the plane of the goal line that we got screwed on?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Jean-Luc Pigard

Quote from: hogcards on March 21, 2018, 08:47:01 am
Refresh my memory, I remember there being some nonsense in the Auburn/Cam Newton game, but I can't remember specifically what they were.  Wasn't there something with the ball crossing the plane of the goal line that we got screwed on?

They fumbled going into the end zone in the first or second quarter, nobody signaled TD, refs huddled for a long time, said the call on the field was a TD, video review, upheld because evidence was "inconclusive."

Later in the game we had all the momentum on our side, but a controversial Broderick Green fumble was returned for a TD and the review was upheld.  It may not have been returned for a TD (memory is hazy after 8 years and I refuse to watch that game again), but either way, that killed our comeback.

hogcards

Quote from: Jean-Luc Pigard on March 21, 2018, 09:41:36 am
They fumbled going into the end zone in the first or second quarter, nobody signaled TD, refs huddled for a long time, said the call on the field was a TD, video review, upheld because evidence was "inconclusive."

Later in the game we had all the momentum on our side, but a controversial Broderick Green fumble was returned for a TD and the review was upheld.  It may not have been returned for a TD (memory is hazy after 8 years and I refuse to watch that game again), but either way, that killed our comeback.

Oh that's right.  There was actually no signal.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on March 20, 2018, 03:21:14 pm
Regarding the topic of this thread, I don't think you can stop at 2. Heck, out of the shoot--Florida, Auburn, SMU. And that's before ALL the Texas games.

Right!...you can't open up this can of wretched filth and only talk about 2 games. And I agree, the first 3 games mentioned might be top of mind for me. (Yes, many against Texas over the years, but that almost needs its own thread.)

FLORIDA— One reason this one stands out still is it was toward the end of the year and the Gators were #1. That's what kills me, because you only have so many opportunities to play a #1, much less beat them. We were playing great—Dennis Johnson's rushing, but mainly our D. We sacked Tebow more times in that game than his season total up to then. The refs could feel it, then they started tipping the field. This question has been asked—why weren't they banned from officiating, forever?
-Ramon Broadway's PI. This is radical, but I think there should be a rule stating that any receiver who gets off the ground and starts waving his hands, indicating a flag toss, gets thrown out of the game immediately. Maybe that would stop that S.
-The personal foul on Sheppard. What people may not remember, this game was so tight, every single yard was precious. That made all those big penalties on us so damaging...the equivalent to large chunk plays for Florida (that they didn't deserve.) They kept giving the Gators so many extra chances, we finally broke.
-Petrino always said the worst one to him was the no-call PI against Gator WR white-trash Riley Cooper.

AUBURN— Fairly early, the clear Mario Fannin fumble that was called a TD. The review made it even more indisputable, ball coming out a couple feet before he crosses the goal line. What were the review guys looking at? Then, Brod Green wasn't called down, his fumble resulted in a score. Later Michael Dyer wasn't called down, so he got up and ran for a score. Again, you just can't keep giving the other team repeated chances. You can only defend so much.

SMU— Similar to Florida, the opportunity to knock off a title contender (undefeated, and were they #2 at the time?) That's why this one lives on. Not just a regular game. And also similar to Florida, an arm-flailing WR gets the ref to give them a hometown call with the PI on Nathan Jones. Did anyone ever ask Nesrsta, what exactly did you see there?

These are all bad not because they're simply 'missed' calls. It's clear there is a pre-made/pre-decided mentality going in, favoring the team that's challenging for the championship. It's not something they think of impulsively on the spot. When these plays happen, and there's the opportunity to change the game, they do it because it was ALREADY in their head (but subconsciously), during the entire game. It just surfaced when given the chance.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

311Hog

We lost 10-3.

Bad calls.

god why did you bring this one back this was during my 2nd year on the hill it hurt so bad...

311Hog

Quote from: Jean-Luc Pigard on March 21, 2018, 07:15:28 am
Wasn't the following week the Florida game where we came back from 33-7 to make it 33-28?  Seems like we had Florida stopped late but Bua was called for roughing the passer or a late hit out of bounds or something?

Am I remembering correctly, or did I make that up?

yes you are remembering correctly

Ben Steiger

I remember the '03 Auburn holding calls, and the next week's late roughing the passer against Tony Bua, as he tackled Chris Leak, that destroyed our comeback... agony, as a young Hogs fan.

Remember UF vividly.

How 'bout the '07 Bama game, with magical yards given to Bama's comeback, and players tackled inbounds, only to be signaled out of bounds?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

redeye

Quote from: Jean-Luc Pigard on March 21, 2018, 09:41:36 am

Also, Mallett left the game with an injury because Nick Fairley horsecollared him.  There may be a loophole that made that no-call technically accurate, but you know the refs would have been scrambling to throw a flag, if Malcolm Sheppard had done the same to Newton.

Personally, I think Arkansas has been screwed a lot by refs in the SEC, but never more than during the Petrino years, and I doubt that's a coincidence.

redeye

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 21, 2018, 06:11:57 am

IIRC that game wasn't on TV, but some fans who were there say MSU missed the winning FG.  There's a youtube video and I think it looks good, though. 

Even though it wasn't on TV, this game decided the SEC West and losing to MSU meant we didn't get our rematch with Tennessee in the SECCG.

https://youtu.be/NgMPRILiWhY?t=5m30s

PonderinHog

Quote from: redeye on March 21, 2018, 10:53:18 pm
IIRC that game wasn't on TV, but some fans who were there say MSU missed the winning FG.  There's a youtube video and I think it looks good, though. 

Even though it wasn't on TV, this game decided the SEC West and losing to MSU meant we didn't get our rematch with Tennessee in the SECCG.

That was sooo long ago.  Not only the FG but it seemed like the refs helped them at critical times, but it was twenty years ago.

bphi11ips

Man. Hard to tell from the video. The official under the left goal post seemed pretty sure. That was a tough loss.

hogcards

I forgot all about that.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

redleg

2009 at Florida, and 1982 at SMU.

The first was nothing more than home-cooking to save the Gators national championship hopes, and keep Tim "Messiah" Tebow from looking bad.

The second was so egregious that the NCAA actually changed the pass interference rule from a spot foul to a 15 yard penalty, because of that game. It also cost the Hogs a share of the SWC Championship and a trip to the Cotton Bowl.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HognitiveDissonance

Florida 2009. I was there. I remember afterwards listening to the Florida radio post-game, and even their own guys were commenting on some of the 'cheesy' calls. That tells you how bad they were.

SMU 1982. Already mentioned

Tennessee Liberty Bowl 1971. Already mentioned.

The one not mentioned yet is the 1979 Elite 8 game against Indiana State and Larry Bird. Carl Nicks tripped US Reed, but Reed was called for traveling. Hogs had the ball, but that gave State the ball and they won on a last-second shot. I think this was just a bad call, and not crooked, but clearly bad, and helped decide the game. Their feet got tangled.
This is the last time I remember getting emotionally upset over the outcome of a Hog game.

hogcards

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 22, 2018, 11:22:43 am
Florida 2009. I was there. I remember afterwards listening to the Florida radio post-game, and even their own guys were commenting on some of the 'cheesy' calls. That tells you how bad they were.

SMU 1982. Already mentioned

Tennessee Liberty Bowl 1971. Already mentioned.

The one not mentioned yet is the 1979 Elite 8 game against Indiana State and Larry Bird. Carl Nicks tripped US Reed, but Reed was called for traveling. Hogs had the ball, but that gave State the ball and they won on a last-second shot. I think this was just a bad call, and not crooked, but clearly bad, and helped decide the game. Their feet got tangled.
This is the last time I remember getting emotionally upset over the outcome of a Hog game.

+1000

Bird vs Moncrief

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 21, 2018, 06:11:57 am
I thought of that one, too.  Bad calls happen every game.  The ones you remember are blatantly wrong, occur under suspicious circumstances, and determine the outcome of the game.  That was the '71 Liberty Bowl.

All I remember about that game was listening to it on the radio, our placekicker being suspended, and thinking beforehand we'd have a huge letdown after being so close the week before.

The team was SOOOO Down that game.  The mood around campus was somber and sad the entire week after that UT game. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

TheRazorback500

Florida and SMU, as mentioned, with Auburn 2003 a close third. My family knew I was pissed.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

carolinahogger

I have been a Razorback fan since 1967 and nothing compares to The Swindle in the Swamp.  That was a blatant, systematic effort to steal the game from us.  It marked the day when I quit rooting for fellow SEC teams to win against OOC opponents.  I will pull for ISIS or the Taliban over Florida.

Most of the calls mentioned in this thread IMO are questionable.  Even the most important one, the clip in the 69 Texas game.  It was behind the play.  Legit no-call.  I'm not the guy crying about officiating when we lose.

But The Swindle in the Swamp was a next-level deal.  That Florida game was the one that finally made it clear that there is no integrity to the game.  The SEC will not let one of their darlings lose a big game to a second tier opponent if there is big money on the line.

And that took some of the fun out of it for me.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 20, 2018, 01:07:43 pm
Marc Curles I'm waiting to meet you.
Same here, I am usually sympathetic to refs, not an easy job, but I want to put five right in his suck hole.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: carolinahogger on March 23, 2018, 11:08:18 am
But The Swindle in the Swamp was a next-level deal.  That Florida game was the one that finally made it clear that there is no integrity to the game.  The SEC will not let one of their darlings lose a big game to a second tier opponent if there is big money on the line.

Something I'm curious about---has anyone (SEC, NCAA) ever put forth any effort to DIS-prove any allegations like these when they come up? Did the crew from Florida get the short suspension and just a slap on the wrist? Or was there follow-through? Were there questions why all the different egregious calls happened? Did the SEC push it? (Come on, the possibility did exist that something crooked was happening, because it's happened before in other college sports.) Or did the SEC feel accomplished by making them sit in the time-out room for a month? I think there's proof in what is NOT done. The logical outcome of banning that crew from working in the SEC ever again, and the fact it didn't happen, demonstrates that.

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 21, 2018, 02:51:27 pm

These are all bad not because they're simply 'missed' calls. It's clear there is a pre-made/pre-decided mentality going in, favoring the team that's challenging for the championship. It's not something they think of impulsively on the spot. When these plays happen, and there's the opportunity to change the game, they do it because it was ALREADY in their head (but subconsciously), during the entire game. It just surfaced when given the chance.

And this, the other motivation. Yes, the simpler explanation is the refs are being paid off. (If that one fact was ever discovered, then the 10 strange things that happen in a game starts making sense.) But outside of that, what else? It's what the officials know going in to a game. Protecting top-ranked teams, yes. Protecting a home team, yes. Hating Arkansas, maybe.

I agree about missed calls, because Arkansas has fallen victim to the SINGLE catastrophic missed call plenty of times. Bad calls happen. But the question is the game with MULTIPLE offenses. In the past couple weeks, we've been talking about last year's NCAA North Carolina game, and the series of bad calls. And the one we're talking about most here, the Florida game. Notice how the biggest calls/no-calls we remember were all when the Gators had the ball and were nearing the red zone. Coincidence?

greenEGnHAWGS

I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but when the NCAA officials said that Tyrell Proor could play, I was LIVID.

"Oh...yeah. We'll still punish him...but not til next year."

- Prior leaves for the NFL after OSU beats us -

"Wait...he did what? Oh well...nevermind."
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Hollywood_HOGan45

2003 Auburn
2009 Florida
2009 LSU
2010 Auburn

Cannot name any in the Bielema era. Our coach screwed us over more than the officials did.

HardCore

Quote from: hoglady on March 20, 2018, 04:01:06 pm
No doubt - the refs literally stole that game from Arkansas and gave it Florida.

When Curles hits the field.........the fix is in!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

redeye

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 22, 2018, 07:41:49 am
That was sooo long ago.  Not only the FG but it seemed like the refs helped them at critical times, but it was twenty years ago.

That would have been Pig Pen days, so I guess it was some on the Pig Pen who were complaining, after returning home from the game.  But everyone was so down from the loss to Tennessee that it wasn't considered a big deal, despite that it cost us the SEC-W.

I've never watched the game and don't think I saw the FG until watching that video a few years ago.

Quote from: redleg on March 22, 2018, 08:38:35 am
The second was so egregious that the NCAA actually changed the pass interference rule from a spot foul to a 15 yard penalty, because of that game. It also cost the Hogs a share of the SWC Championship and a trip to the Cotton Bowl.

SMU couldn't win by paying players, so they paid the officials.  Arkansas was ranked 9th and it took a lot of cheating to keep us from beating the #2 team.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 22, 2018, 11:22:43 am

I don't think that was intentional, either, but it was bad.  Reed just tripped, got up and then picked up the ball, but he never walked.

Also, Larry Bird had just hit 2 free throws to tie the game, because Steve Schall was called for fouling Bird on a turn-around jumper.  That call was also poor, imo, because Schall got the ball cleanly.  The announcers said he leaned in a little too far, but I don't buy it.

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 20, 2018, 01:07:43 pm
Marc Curles I'm waiting to meet you.

Curles already had a poor reputation with us before the 2009 Florida game and I think he was responsible for another highly controversial call that year in some other SEC game.  And didn't he also call the 2009 LSU game?  I have to say that I think he's been fair in the last few games he called for Arkansas, though.

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 23, 2018, 06:18:25 pm
I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but when the NCAA officials said that Tyrell Proor could play, I was LIVID.

You and I both.  I wonder if there's any precedent for delaying a suspension like that?