Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are there any good coaches in the SEC?

Started by Rome26, February 26, 2018, 10:16:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 12:02:19 pm
If he's not implicated in this FBI ordeal are you gonna still attribute all of his success to cheating?
Yes because he's too good at cheating to be caught.  Just like he escaped town one step ahead of the posse at UMass & Memphis.

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 12:57:08 pm
When you have the horses, it's easy to win races. You can believe what you want as will I. I tend to look at his record with elite talent year in and year out, and I believe he's underachieved. He seems to always be on the cusp of some investigation wherever he goes, so as the head of his team, I place that blame on him and have a hard time believing he's oblivious to everything that goes on with his players.

Coaches w a worse winning % than Cal: Self, Wright, Calhoun, Boehiem, Pitino, Coach K. 

Those guys have elite talent, too.

The bolded is hearsay; what is UK under investigation for that has to do with something Cal did?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Paul on February 26, 2018, 01:11:05 pm
  to learn more about what may be responsible for Drew's success click on this link:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/critical-coaches-who-is-perceived-to-be-the-biggest-cheater-in-the-sport/

Is his success a little fishy? Maybe. Is there any proof of wrongdoing? As of now, no.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 01:18:02 pm
Coaches w a worse winning % than Cal: Self, Wright, Calhoun, Boehiem, Pitino, Coach K. 

The bolded is hearsay; what is UK under investigation for that has to do with something Cal did?

Coach K is the only one that has even a remotely close roster that Cal has.

Recruiting Rankings of these guys:
Coach K - 1st
Cal - 2nd

Coach K - 1st
Cal - 2nd

Coach K - 2nd
Cal - 1st

Coach K - 1st
Cal - 2nd

Coach K - 9th
Cal - 1st

Coach K  - 41st
Cal - 1st

Coach K - 2nd
Cal - 1st

I don't have time right now to put the other coaches recruiting rankings up there, but don't tell me that Cal hasn't gotten the cream of the crop every single year.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 01:45:06 pm
Coach K is the only one that has even a remotely close roster that Cal has.

Recruiting Rankings of these guys:
Coach K - 1st
Cal - 2nd

Coach K - 1st
Cal - 2nd

Coach K - 2nd
Cal - 1st

Coach K - 1st
Cal - 2nd

Coach K - 9th
Cal - 1st

Coach K  - 41st
Cal - 1st

Coach K - 2nd
Cal - 1st

I don't have time right now to put the other coaches recruiting rankings up there, but don't tell me that Cal hasn't gotten the cream of the crop every single year.

I mean. Good grief man:

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 01:18:02 pm
Coaches w a worse winning % than Cal: Self, Wright, Calhoun, Boehiem, Pitino, Coach K

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 01:47:41 pm
I mean. Good grief man:

This isn't about Coach K...who by the way seems to spit the bit in the tourney as well with some bad losses.

I only included Duke because those are the only 2 coaches that are always at the top except Cal has done even better. This whole convo is about Cal and how well does he do with the best classes year in and year out. With the best players, I even moreso believe that he does less with more on a majority of years.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 01:56:15 pm
This isn't about Coach K...who by the way seems to spit the bit in the tourney as well with some bad losses.

I only included Duke because those are the only 2 coaches that are always at the top except Cal has done even better. This whole convo is about Cal and how well does he do with the best classes year in and year out. With the best players, I even moreso believe that he does less with more on a majority of years.

He has a better winning percentage than arguably the greatest coach of all time who as you have shown also regularly has one of the best classes in the nation. The best or most talented team does not always win the tournament.  That's the product of a one and done tournament with 6 games.

niels_boar

CMA could exchange seasons with any SEC coach this year and would be getting universal acclaim to this point only by exchanging records with Pearl and maybe Barnes.  This is Pearl's fourth season and the first time he has finished better than 11th in the SEC at Auburn.  According to Jump Ball, the SEC was really lousy in those years, too.  Barnes has lost by double digits at Alabama and at UGA and beat USC by 3 at home among his last 5 games.   There would be some discontent about that.  Not finishing strong! If 12 or 13 of 14 programs in a conference that will probably have 8 NCAAT bids are having campaigns that you would find hard to stomach at Arkansas, that should tell you something.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 01:56:15 pm

Really? Seems to spit the bit in the tourney? 5 NCAAT title, 4 runner up, 3 additional final 4's, 2 Elite 8's, and 9 sweet 16's. Yea, really does terribly in the NCAAT. If that is spitting the bit, then what does MA do?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on February 26, 2018, 02:06:08 pm
Really? Seems to spit the bit in the tourney? 5 NCAAT title, 4 runner up, 3 additional final 4's, 2 Elite 8's, and 9 sweet 16's. Yea, really does terribly in the NCAAT. If that is spitting the bit, then what does MA do?

Amazing the mental gymnastics some will go to to justify a view point.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 26, 2018, 11:51:12 am
Speaking of Drew, we better be concerned with his younger brother. Still scratching my head how you get #10, #14 and #64 to Vanderbilt in the same class.

Good question. Others beginning to ask the same thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lsus-will-wade-drawing-scrutiny-ncaa-recruiting-tactics-011522122.html

Members of the NCAA enforcement staff have spent parts of the past six months looking into the recruiting tactics of LSU coach Will Wade, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the situation.
NCAA enforcement officials have done work both on the phone and in person to look into Wade, including traveling around the country, to learn more about his recruiting.
The NCAA's scrutiny of Wade began not long after his hire at LSU in March, but the inquiry has stalled because of a lack of on-the-record specifics about Wade's recruiting, according to a source. The NCAA's information gathering has covered part of his time as head coach at VCU, according to a source. Wade's early recruiting activity at LSU prompted the NCAA enforcement interest, according to a source.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 02:08:25 pm
Amazing the mental gymnastics some will go to to justify a view point.

That's not mental gymnastics, that's just dumb. I mean, call him a cheater, claim he gets preferential treatment, anything that is not quantifiable, but good lawd don't say he spits the bit in the NCAAT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 26, 2018, 02:06:08 pm

Well...I'm glad you read those 5 words in the paragraph and made an comment even though you even took it out of context and ignored the rest. I specifically said "with some bad losses" like Lehigh, Providence, and Mercer. Next time try to actually understand what I'm saying before you spout off at me.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 02:01:16 pm
He has a better winning percentage than arguably the greatest coach of all time who as you have shown also regularly has one of the best classes in the nation. The best or most talented team does not always win the tournament.  That's the product of a one and done tournament with 6 games.

Cal also coaches in the SEC. Coach K coaches in the ACC. Tell me. Do you really think that Cal would even be close if he had to play the same opponents Coach K does?

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 03:10:09 pm
Cal also coaches in the SEC. Coach K coaches in the ACC. Tell me. Do you really think that Cal would even be close if he had to play the same opponents Coach K does?

Yes, they would be close. His winning percentage against ACC schools at Kentucky is .724; most of these games are against UNC and Louisville; two blue bloods. I'd expect that to rise if he got to play the Clemsons and Virginia Techs of the conference. Coach K has won .707 of his ACC conference games. You might want to stop; you look foolish. Cal is a great coach.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 03:36:19 pm
Yes, they would be close. His winning percentage against ACC schools at Kentucky is .724; most of these games are against UNC and Louisville; two blue bloods. I'd expect that to rise if he got to play the Clemsons and Virginia Techs of the conference. Coach K has won .707 of his ACC conference games. You might want to stop; you look foolish. Cal is a great coach.

Ha ha...ok. So having a big game a couple times a year that the players get stoked about will be the same as going through the drudge of the ACC schedule year in and year out. Gotcha.

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 03:58:17 pm
Ha ha...ok. So having a big game a couple times a year that the players get stoked about will be the same as going through the drudge of the ACC schedule year in and year out. Gotcha.

It's ok to admit you are wrong. You won't die.

Do UNC and Louisville not get stoked for the game as well? That's your argument?

They've played 29 games against ACC opponents; this isn't like they got lucky and won 3 of 4.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 04:01:39 pm
It's ok to admit you are wrong. You won't die.

Do UNC and Louisville not get stoked for the game as well? That's your argument?

They've played 29 games against ACC opponents; this isn't like they got lucky and won 3 of 4.

I have NO problem admitting being wrong, but we simply have differing opinions on Cals coaching ability. I think he's a great recruiter (cheating or not) and motivator. I've never seen anything from him that shows he's an excellent game planner or Xs and Os guy. If you see him differently, then that's your prerogative. But you seem sure of something that I don't think at all. I don't think he'd have a better record than Coach K with the same schedules.

Paul

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 01:21:07 pm
Is his success a little fishy? Maybe. Is there any proof of wrongdoing? As of now, no.
That's why I phrased it like that.  However, who would know that he's cheating?  The coaches that are out there recruiting against him.  They know much better than you or me.

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 04:11:34 pm
I have NO problem admitting being wrong, but we simply have differing opinions on Cals coaching ability. I think he's a great recruiter (cheating or not) and motivator. I've never seen anything from him that shows he's an excellent game planner or Xs and Os guy. If you see him differently, then that's your prerogative. But you seem sure of something that I don't think at all. I don't think he'd have a better record than Coach K with the same schedules.

He'd have a comparable record. I've given you data to support that claim. Saying a coach is not great because he might (his current record is better, mind you) not be quite as great as the greatest coach of all time in the modern era is, frankly, stupid.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 04:16:13 pm
He'd have a comparable record. I've given you data to support that claim. Saying a coach is not great because he might (his current record is better, mind you) not be quite as great as the greatest coach of all time in the modern era is, frankly, stupid.

I'm not the one who wanted other coaches into this convo. You're the one what started the comparison. I also wanted to compare all of the coaches you mentioned, I just didn't have the time to show you how much better talent had than them all. So the results showed he's on the same line as Coach K in recruiting. They both win. I just see the ACC as a huge hindrance to a consistent high winning percentage. You've literally gone out of your way to not really consider what I'm saying as opposed to what you want to hear.

I know Cal wins games. I also say it's easy to win races when you have the best horses. We don't disagree that he recruits well. We don't disagree that he motivates well. I've only said that I don't think he's this phenomenal game strategist that will use his Xs and Os to outcoach another coach.

raz1965

Sure we have all watched enough basketball too know that players are the key to great coaches. Players are the reason NCAA rules are being broken, however that may be done. Give Mike a roster such as Duke, NC, Kansas an  ect, and his record is elite. We can hope that with recruiting picking up that Mike will prove that players win games, as fans know deep down, but chose to blame the coach most often.

AHiD

Actually tho, how many coaches in the SEC have made the tourney 3/4 years? Cal, White, who else?
My name...is Jerruh

Fan701

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 26, 2018, 05:53:38 pm
Actually tho, how many coaches in the SEC have made the tourney 3/4 years? Cal, White, who else?
Cal and CMA only, but Mike White has been there only three years, and this should be two out of three for him.

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 05:35:31 pm
I'm not the one who wanted other coaches into this convo. You're the one what started the comparison. I also wanted to compare all of the coaches you mentioned, I just didn't have the time to show you how much better talent had than them all. So the results showed he's on the same line as Coach K in recruiting. They both win. I just see the ACC as a huge hindrance to a consistent high winning percentage. You've literally gone out of your way to not really consider what I'm saying as opposed to what you want to hear.

I know Cal wins games. I also say it's easy to win races when you have the best horses. We don't disagree that he recruits well. We don't disagree that he motivates well. I've only said that I don't think he's this phenomenal game strategist that will use his Xs and Os to outcoach another coach.

Where you've brought thoughts I've brought numbers. Cal is a great coach.  Is he Brad Stevens on X and O's? No. Not many are.

steveaustin69

Quote from: raz1965 on February 26, 2018, 05:47:07 pm
Sure we have all watched enough basketball too know that players are the key to great coaches. Players are the reason NCAA rules are being broken, however that may be done. Give Mike a roster such as Duke, NC, Kansas an  ect, and his record is elite. We can hope that with recruiting picking up that Mike will prove that players win games, as fans know deep down, but chose to blame the coach most often.

The coach is responsible for the quality of players....

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 06:10:53 pm
Where you've brought thoughts I've brought numbers. Cal is a great coach.  Is he Brad Stevens on X and O's? No. Not many are.

Ha ha...oh man. Whether or not he is a good COACH is a matter of opinion. If it was cold hard facts, then no one would have a differing opinion. Yes...he recruits very well (cheating or not). Yes...he motivates very well. Now...is he a great basketball mind that creates mismatches with his schemes and overpowers opponents with his tactical prowess? I've not seen that.

Yes...he wins games...but can you win games with superior talent, high motivation, and subpar game plan? Most of the time. Yes and that is what I think of when I think of Cal's coaching ability.

I don't think that we're far off on what we think of Cal except with how much his mind plays a factor in his wins, and whether or not we think he's a cheater.

golfinpig

Barnes =very good coach Cal=good coach better recruiter. F Martin=good coach lousy recruiter  MA=decent coach lousy recruiter

MountieDawg

Quote from: HF#1 on February 26, 2018, 12:03:13 pm
No, we won't find one the quality of Mike Anderson at this time. And why would you even want to look with all the FBI stuff going down. Appreciate what we got and appreciate the fact that the FBI isn't beating down our door.

The FBI just left.. players weren't getting paid they were making their own money.
SEC!

hogfan10

Quote from: Rome26 on February 26, 2018, 10:30:54 am
Do you consider Barnes and Pearl(who is a known cheater) to be good coaches?

I consider pearl to be sleazy, but a pretty good coach. He made Tennessee and Auburn relevant. I think Barnes is good and had his success while coaching in two of the toughest conferences (ACC/Big 12). They have both been fired at their previous stops.

hogfan10

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 26, 2018, 05:53:38 pm

How many have coached in the SEC over the last 4 years?

Lud42

NBA Players since 11-12 Season:

1. Kentucky 19 (best cheater, I mean, "recruiter" in the business)
2. LSU 4
3. aTm 3
3. Vandy 3
5. Fla 2
5. USC 2
7. Ala 1
7. Ark 1
7. GA 1
7. Mizz 1
7. Tenn 1
12. Aub 0
12. MSST 0
12. OM 0

Win% (conf) over that time period:
1. Kentucky .787
2. Fla .672
3. Ark .566
4. OM .533
5. Tenn .525
6. GA .516
7. Ala .508
8. aTm .505 (12-13+ season)
9. Vandy .492
10. LSU .459
11. USC .377
12. MSST .352
13. Aub .344
14. Mizz .340

I know some of the coaches have moved on, etc. so none of this matches up perfectly, but Fla (under two coaches) Arkansas (Anderson) and Ole Miss (Kennedy) all out performed their talent while LSU (Mostly Jones, but they've got a good cheater, I mean "recruiter" now in Wade), aTm (Kennedy), Vandy (couple of coaches) and USC (Martin) have all really underperformed for their talent level.

Long way of saying that there are a handful of good coaches in the league, a handful of bad coaches, a lot of average coaches and one coach who has left every program he's ever been at in shambles, on probation, and vacating wins because he is a sleazy, slimy, cheating scumbag.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

steveaustin69

Quote from: Lud42 on February 26, 2018, 11:11:46 pm
NBA Players since 11-12 Season:

1. Kentucky 19 (best cheater, I mean, "recruiter" in the business)
2. LSU 4
3. aTm 3
3. Vandy 3
5. Fla 2
5. USC 2
7. Ala 1
7. Ark 1
7. GA 1
7. Mizz 1
7. Tenn 1
12. Aub 0
12. MSST 0
12. OM 0

Win% (conf) over that time period:
1. Kentucky .787
2. Fla .672
3. Ark .566
4. OM .533
5. Tenn .525
6. GA .516
7. Ala .508
8. aTm .505 (12-13+ season)
9. Vandy .492
10. LSU .459
11. USC .377
12. MSST .352
13. Aub .344
14. Mizz .340

I know some of the coaches have moved on, etc. so none of this matches up perfectly, but Fla (under two coaches) Arkansas (Anderson) and Ole Miss (Kennedy) all out performed their talent while LSU (Mostly Jones, but they've got a good cheater, I mean "recruiter" now in Wade), aTm (Kennedy), Vandy (couple of coaches) and USC (Martin) have all really underperformed for their talent level.

Long way of saying that there are a handful of good coaches in the league, a handful of bad coaches, a lot of average coaches and one coach who has left every program he's ever been at in shambles, on probation, and vacating wins because he is a sleazy, slimy, cheating scumbag.

Do you have proof he cheated?  Your narrative is missing that key point. Thanks for playing, though.

Duke has 14 in your time span. Their winning percentage is .726. Guess they have vastly underachieved as well.

Getting the best players is *gasp* part of being a great coach. Part of the reason Anderson has so many dissenters. Cal is a great coach.

Lud42

UMass and Memphis aren't enough proof? A leopard doesn't change its spots. Thanks for playing, though.

Cal is a sleazy, slimy, cheating scumbag who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack if he didn't have the best players money could buy.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

steveaustin69

Quote from: Lud42 on February 27, 2018, 08:16:15 am
UMass and Memphis aren't enough proof? A leopard doesn't change its spots. Thanks for playing, though.

Cal is a sleazy, slimy, cheating scumbag who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack if he didn't have the best players money could buy.

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 26, 2018, 12:45:38 pm
Known cheater? Marcus Camby took money from an agent. Derrick Rose had someone take his SAT.  Should he have known? Maybe; maybe not. Was he accused or found of any wrongdoing? No.

"Calipari was not penalized because he was never included in the original notice of allegations, Dee said. But Dee did stress that vacating the record books carries with it an implied punishment.

Calipari is the first head coach to have vacated Final Four appearances with two different schools. His 1996 Massachusetts team met the same fate because of NCAA rule violations, even though Calipari was not implicated in that instance, either."

Maybe he is; maybe he isn't. Those banners and those wins aren't going away unless you have some proof.

"During Calipari's tenure at UMass, the program became one of the most dominant in college basketball despite recruiting just one McDonald's All-American (Donta Bright) and having only two players drafted by an NBA team (Lou Roe and Marcus Camby)."

Yeah. He can't coach.

Lud42

The same thing will happen to those banners and wins that happened to Memphis' and UMass'.

Unless you're naive enough to believe it's just coincidence that cheating just happens to occur everywhere Cal is and players just happen to get paid everywhere he has coached...Kentucky included.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Lud42 on February 27, 2018, 08:24:09 am
The same thing will happen to those banners and wins that happened to Memphis' and UMass'.

Unless you're naive enough to believe it's just coincidence that cheating just happens to occur everywhere Cal is and players just happen to get paid everywhere he has coached...Kentucky included.

Do you have some proof players at Memphis or Kentucky have been paid? At the direction of Calipari?

Marcus Camby took money from an agent. There's no proof of a connection between the agent and Calipari.

I'd love to eat crow and see Kentucky get hosed, but until there is actual proof Kentucky and Calipari are directly paying players I'll let his record speak for itself.

Does it mean flip if you just know like you think you know they cheat if it can't be proven and they keep all their accolades?

Lud42

I get it, you like Cal and you think it's just an unfotunate coincidence that every team he coaches ends up getting popped for recruiting violations, players getting paid, other people taking tests for them etc. He's just one unlucky dude that this stuff keeps happening at the schools he goes to. Not his fault that the teams sucked, but weren't cheating before he got there and then started cheating and got good while he was there, then got in trouble and had to vacate wins while he strolled out the door. I'm sure he had nothing to do with it at all.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Lud42 on February 27, 2018, 08:52:03 am
I get it, you like Cal and you think it's just an unfotunate coincidence that every team he coaches ends up getting popped for recruiting violations, players getting paid, other people taking tests for them etc. He's just one unlucky dude that this stuff keeps happening at the schools he goes to. Not his fault that the teams sucked, but weren't cheating before he got there and then started cheating and got good while he was there, then got in trouble and had to vacate wins while he strolled out the door. I'm sure he had nothing to do with it at all.

What don't you get about it doesn't matter what you think if you can't prove it?

Lud42

What don't you get about neither of us is a court of law so we don't have to prove squat? Cal is a cheater. I said it. I know it's true and you know it's true, so I'm not sure what the argument is about.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 27, 2018, 09:00:48 am
What don't you get about it doesn't matter what you think if you can't prove it?

Asking random fans to prove something going on in another program is ridiculous. We see trends and you do too. It's not crazy to use objectivity to make intelligent assumptions. I have no clue why you're being so naive about him.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 09:52:41 am
Asking random fans to prove something going on in another program is ridiculous. We see trends and you do too. It's not crazy to use objectivity to make intelligent assumptions. I have no clue why you're being so naive about him.

How is it being naive to say he is a really good coach AND that it is likely he has taken some shortcuts to get players or at least turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to what was going on.

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 09:52:41 am

Cal is a great coach. I've refuted all of your "thoughts" with factual information. If you have anything based in fact to support your claim please continue.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 10:00:05 am
How is it being naive to say he is a really good coach AND that it is likely he has taken some shortcuts to get players or at least turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to what was going on.

Youre only hearing what you want to hear. There are different aspects to being a good coach. He motivates very well. He recruits very well. The ONLY thing I've said as negative is I believe he cheats in recruiting just by trends, and that I've not SEEN him be this great basketball mind. You are not picking the term "good coach". I would even venture to say that you would agree with my assessment for the most part. So, since this isn't the first time I've written that, I'm just assuming you just want to bicker.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 27, 2018, 10:00:21 am
Cal is a great coach. I've refuted all of your "thoughts" with factual information. If you have anything based in fact to support your claim please continue.

Your facts are wins and losses. I've not disagreed with any of those facts. I've said many times that yes, Cal wins games. There's no way around that fact. What I've been trying to talk about is WHY he wins those games. I say he gets superior talent and motivates them to play hard. Are you going to refute that with "facts"? No. This whole thing is a matter of opinion. Just a win-loss column doesn't depict what we're talking about. What do you attribute his wins to? Please give "facts" as to WHY he's a winner?

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 10:45:44 am
Youre only hearing what you want to hear. There are different aspects to being a good coach. He motivates very well. He recruits very well. The ONLY thing I've said as negative is I believe he cheats in recruiting just by trends, and that I've not SEEN him be this great basketball mind. You are not picking the term "good coach". I would even venture to say that you would agree with my assessment for the most part. So, since this isn't the first time I've written that, I'm just assuming you just want to bicker.

Again with your thoughts and what you see.

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 26, 2018, 11:55:24 am
I've never understand why people call Cal a good coach.

Those are your exact words.

His record at UMass: .730 winning percentage, 5 tourneys in 8 years, sweet 16, elite eight, and final four with two NBA players and one Mcdonald's all american in that span.  He can coach. He is a great coach. Did these teams win cause they just played harder? Or can Cal coach Xs and Os? Answer is both.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 27, 2018, 10:51:21 am
Again with your thoughts and what you see.

Those are your exact words.

His record at UMass: .730 winning percentage, 5 tourneys in 8 years, sweet 16, elite eight, and final four with two NBA players and one Mcdonald's all american in that span.  He can coach. He is a great coach. Did these teams win cause they just played harder? Or can Cal coach Xs and Os? Answer is both.

I was specifically asked by hogsanity what I've SEEN from Cal. So if you don't want observations as a part of the conversation, the. Take that up with him. I watch other coaches like Buzz Williams and Chris Beard, and SEE what they're doing with the Xs and Os. I've never seen that from Cal. If you want to throw me some more win loss columns, that'd be great, but if teams from over 22 years ago is your main reasoning, then you must also love Mike Anderson who took a bunch of no names to the sweet 16 and a bunch of small names to the Elite 8 with Missouri. Talk about good coaching.

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 11:27:53 am
I was specifically asked by hogsanity what I've SEEN from Cal. So if you don't want observations as a part of the conversation, the. Take that up with him. I watch other coaches like Buzz Williams and Chris Beard, and SEE what they're doing with the Xs and Os. I've never seen that from Cal. If you want to throw me some more win loss columns, that'd be great, but if teams from over 22 years ago is your main reasoning, then you must also love Mike Anderson who took a bunch of no names to the sweet 16 and a bunch of small names to the Elite 8 with Missouri. Talk about good coaching.

I mean good lord, man. Cal had a significantly higher winning percentage than Anderson. Didn't Demarre Carrol sign a $60M NBA contract a couple years ago? Yeah. Mizzou had nobody. 

The fact that you think a coach with the track record Cal has can not coach Xs and Os is mind boggling.  Do Cal's teams play the same way year in year out? No. They have different personnel, and more times than not he plays a style to their strengths. He's won at an elite level without elite talent. He's won at an elite level with elite talent.

Cal also outcoached Anderson last week.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 27, 2018, 11:27:53 am
I was specifically asked by hogsanity what I've SEEN from Cal. So if you don't want observations as a part of the conversation, the. Take that up with him. I watch other coaches like Buzz Williams and Chris Beard, and SEE what they're doing with the Xs and Os. I've never seen that from Cal.

I watched last year as Cal called a timeout, got his teams together, drew up a double screen to get Monk open for a 3, his team went out, ran the play, Monk nailed the 3. The dude can coach x's and o's. Did you see the adjustments Ky made at half time last week before the rolled the Hogs right out of BWA?

steveaustin69

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskall on February 27, 2018, 03:32:43 pm
You clearly aren't smart enough to be a scientist.  Do you know anything about sample size?  You want to compare 29 games to what 38 years?  Seriously?  And beyond that no mention of the fact Calipari coached in both Conference USA and the Atlantic 10.  I realize you are used to arguing with 12 year olds on this board and that has given you an over inflated ego, but this is the most poorly put together argument I've read on the internet in a while, sans people simply trying to troll.  I guess that's what's so pathetic is you actually think you are smart.

You really made an account to post this? Or maybe a second account? That's hilarious.

You're correct. Nothing compares to Coach K's success over decades and decades. The question was would Cal be close to his success % win wise?  In nearly a season's worth of games against usually the best the conference had to offer he won at an incredibly high rate. If we placed Kentucky in the ACC do I think they'd beat UNC at the same rate they have in recent years? Probably not; UNC fields great teams.  But then again, would he ever lose to say, Georgia Tech? Probably not. He'd likely have a comparable winning percentage in the ACC.

Please tell me how it is poorly put together.

Calipari has won everywhere he has been. Please explain to me how he is not a great coach.