Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clear up a few SMU Things.

Started by OLEJACKETFAN, January 11, 2018, 03:22:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: pigtrino on January 11, 2018, 08:44:05 pm
Ignorant or contrarian. 

Just look at ACT ranges:  SMU  28-32.   UA  23-29.  Memphis  18-25.  You still have to be admitted. The minimum standards you cite only tell part of the story.

A large chunk of our football players scored below a 23 on the ACT. Most Stanford players aren't as academically competitive as the general student body.

When it comes to sports (at least the major money sports like bball and football), all you need to have is the bare absolute minimum academically to get in. You can't remotely compare athletic admission to normal student admission. You are naive if you think otherwise.

I would bet a very large sum of money that at least 1 person on the SMU football team scored below a 28 on their ACT. I would bet a decent sized money that at least half of their football team scored below a 28, and a small amount that at least 3/4ths scored belowed 28.

Even from http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/SMU-admission-requirements which is where I'm guessing you are getting your numbers, it admits that SMU has no official minimum ACT score. That you'd have to have something else incredible on your resume (idk, maybe something like being able to play football and willing to go to SMU) to get in if you score below.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

racinghog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 08:58:35 pm
A large chunk of our football players scored below a 23 on the ACT. Most Stanford players aren't as academically competitive as the general student body.

When it comes to sports (at least the major money sports like bball and football), all you need to have is the bare absolute minimum academically to get in. You can't remotely compare athletic admission to normal student admission. You are naive if you think otherwise.

I would bet a very large sum of money that at least 1 person on the SMU football team scored below a 28 on their ACT. I would bet a decent sized money that at least half of their football team scored below a 28, and a small amount that at least 3/4ths scored belowed 28.

Even from http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/SMU-admission-requirements which is where I'm guessing you are getting your numbers, it admits that SMU has no official minimum ACT score. That you'd have to have something else incredible on your resume (idk, maybe something like being able to play football and willing to go to SMU) to get in if you score below.
I bet also that if you are a legacy with money you could get in also. It just depends on who you are related to.

OLEJACKETFAN

I will share a Fact. In Chad Morris Coaching career he has been in the Playoffs or a Bowl Game all but 3 years. One year at Stephenville HS. The next year he revamped the Offense. And the first 2 years at SMU. I noticed where A&M had a player got in some Law trouble.  That will not be an issue at Arkansas going forward.

bennyl08

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 09:09:36 pm
I will share a Fact. In Chad Morris Coaching career he has been in the Playoffs or a Bowl Game all but 3 years. One year at Stephenville HS. The next year he revamped the Offense. And the first 2 years at SMU. I noticed where A&M had a player got in some Law trouble.  That will not be an issue at Arkansas going forward.

Relative to the rest of the SEC as well as compared to our recent history, players getting into legal trouble has not been an issue for us under Bielema either. You have sprinkle with the belk bowl, Blake johnson doing what every guy has done and peed in public, I know there are a few more, like one of the receivers we got from Fla, but incidents with the law have been few and far between.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OLEJACKETFAN

That's good to know. Less weeds for him to get rid of. I am not that familiar with Ark. I don't know what the Talent level is. I know Ark use to be a Top 20 team and I was shocked at how they have fallen. After watching the NC game last Monday, things will not be easy but can be improved quickly. I believe Ole Miss will be down for awhile. I believe Miss State did not make a high quality hire. Im also not sold on the LSU guy although he has a lot of talented Players. Texas A&M is in transition. So there are quick opportunities for improvement! Not happy with the 247 recruit ranking #79, I think, but lets wait till after Feb 7.

pigbacon

To the OP- good insight and feedback. You are welcome here anytime...as your participation is appreciated and I look forward to more. Hope you will claim to be a "Hog Fan".

On Morris... now that the dust has somewhat settled and observing his demeanor in comparison to the previous coach, I want to say I see exactly what we're getting. I have yet to catch a hint of a swollen ego, he appears very humble and appreciative of his past and opportunities, and forward focused without letting what those around him are doing. This may not equal championships or 10 win seasons, but it does give me hope.

On the previous coach...I might have said the same in the beginning, but hindsight is 20/20, right? But now looking back there were some red flags/tells that tipped his hand IMO. In all fairness, people operate differently and I'm not saying one is wrong, but I know who I'd want to lead my team if I was paying a salary in the millions if going on personality alone.

First- It was well mentioned that Bret couldn't reach his potential at Wisconsin due to budget for assistants. Yet, over time it appears he possibly had issues maybe either A) leading/working with his coaching staff  B) luring the staff he envisioned- possibly due to the first or C) micromanaging/interfering. Maybe none, maybe all. I really thought Bret was the CEO type but it's a tough gig.

Curious how Morris works his staff? I see the Chavis hire as Chavis being on page in the full scheme of gameplay, but having MAJOR lead way with running his defense as he sees fit. I imagine with more CFB HC expierience, Morris seems to have the personality to attract top coaching talent and lead them to climbing the coaching ladder vs making lateral moves based on personality/philosophy clashes.

Second- I remember Bret causing a stir about the style of play of Gus and HUNH, claiming player safety. This was like when Nutt claimed, "They score so fast it just messes you up".  Don't worry about what others do...prepare your team to be prepared and control what you can control. Bret had a tendency to seek attention in the media, much like the POTUS (no politics please-just making a point), whether good or bad or whatever. Any publicity is free publicity...right? Not always good. Media loved him. Hindsight- if you have a booger on your face hopefully your sitting at the back of the class and the teacher doesn't call on you.

Morris seems to be ultra focused on what he needs and wants to do, and how to get there.

And last point- Huge ego. As mentioned I don't see it in Morris. Ego has been the downfall of the last 3 coaches (minus John L.) for Arkansas. Yes, some just have it and are successful, but it must be channeled appropriately, displayed at the right times,  and directed in the right direction to achieve success (Spurrier). This probably cost one HC applicant or more from an offer and thankfully Arkansas couldn't hire the other (even though I was for it).

And with all said above, I think the right hire was made. Only time will tell.

sowmonella

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 11, 2018, 08:41:40 pm
No it wasn't. If the criteria was "the best man available" Chad Morris wouldn't have gotten this great job and at such wonderful school. Almost any one of coaches available had a bigger upside than Chad Morris. Admittedly, some had a bigger downside. But the powers that be made a very safe, John Pelphrey-like choice that is going to work out eerily similar to how Pelphrey did in basketball here at Arkansas. Yes, Morris will bring new energy, for awhile, then his act will grow very old and we'll be back in the same position 4-5 years from now.

It must really be painful to be so ignorant.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bennyl08

Quote from: pigbacon on January 11, 2018, 10:13:29 pm

Second- I remember Bret causing a stir about the style of play of Gus and HUNH, claiming player safety. This was like when Nutt claimed, "They score so fast it just messes you up".  Don't worry about what others do...prepare your team to be prepared and control what you can control. Bret had a tendency to seek attention in the media, much like the POTUS (no politics please-just making a point), whether good or bad or whatever. Any publicity is free publicity...right? Not always good. Media loved him. Hindsight- if you have a booger on your face hopefully your sitting at the back of the class and the teacher doesn't call on you.

Morris seems to be ultra focused on what he needs and wants to do, and how to get there.

And last point- Huge ego. As mentioned I don't see it in Morris. Ego has been the downfall of the last 3 coaches (minus John L.) for Arkansas. Yes, some just have it and are successful, but it must be channeled appropriately, displayed at the right times,  and directed in the right direction to achieve success (Spurrier). This probably cost one HC applicant or more from an offer and thankfully Arkansas couldn't hire the other (even though I was for it).

And with all said above, I think the right hire was made. Only time will tell.

On the last two major points you make, Saban was saying the same thing at the time as Bielema. The only reason Bielema gets criticized for that is because he didn't win enough. That's not a valid criticism IMO.

To the last, Ego is bad, cockiness is bad, but confidence is absolutely essential. The difference b/w the two is a very fine line. A person with ego can't admit that they were wrong and won't make changes to correct mistakes. At least in press conferences, Bielema didn't seem to have any issue admitting mistakes that he made or shouldering the blame for losses on himself. He was willing to change schemes defensively and offensively to correct for mistakes in the past so ego likely wasn't a major problem. It is possible he kept the team more conservative with the playcalling, particularly on defense in spite of the coordinators wishes, but that isn't known for sure.

Biggest problem with Bielema far as I can tell was an inability to adjust plans in game. By far that was the biggest issue. Then attention to detail type stuff and being too conservative. He was simultaneously able to improve recruiting and develop NFL talent beyond what recruiting rankings would suggest. But come saturday, he did not have what it took. Morris at least appears to be more of the schemer and academic type of coach (had a degree in math which I definitely appreciate). So I think he can definitely improve our team in that regard.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 11, 2018, 08:41:40 pm
No it wasn't. If the criteria was "the best man available" Chad Morris wouldn't have gotten this great job and at such wonderful school. Almost any one of coaches available had a bigger upside than Chad Morris. Admittedly, some had a bigger downside. But the powers that be made a very safe, John Pelphrey-like choice that is going to work out eerily similar to how Pelphrey did in basketball here at Arkansas. Yes, Morris will bring new energy, for awhile, then his act will grow very old and we'll be back in the same position 4-5 years from now.

You are in the crowd that was not appeased by a big or trendy name and just illustrated my point.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: sowmonella on January 11, 2018, 10:28:20 pm
It must really be painful to be so ignorant.

Why? He didn't say anything that most of us haven't considered in some way or other.

oldhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 10:46:58 pm
On the last two major points you make, Saban was saying the same thing at the time as Bielema. The only reason Bielema gets criticized for that is because he didn't win enough. That's not a valid criticism IMO.

And yet Saban made adjustments in his offensive philosophy by hiring Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator to adjust to the current successful trends, while Bielema continued to complain and make a feeble attempt at adjusting.  Not the same. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 04:19:02 pm
We're pretty much saying the same thing with the only disagreement being how stable a foundation June Jones left for Morris.

SMU had a quarter of a century without a single bowl game, and only one winning season in that time span since the death penalty.

June Jones comes in and struggled his first year, but then led SMU to 4 straight bowl games alternating 8 and 7 wins over that 4 year stretch. SMU had never been to 4 straight bowl games in it's entire history, even pre-death penalty.

Then the team went 5-7 where they were a combined 10 points away from 8 wins again with only 1 conference loss by more than 4 points. I don't think that's really a sign that he had given up. With 4 straight years of a success at a school with that record, a season like that is to be expected.

It was the next season that he quit citing that he had reached his goal of turning the program around and basically exhausted.

So the question, is 4 years of unprecedented success and a 5th year that was still better than the program was used to a stable enough base to withstand one year of an interim coach where the program quickly lost all the footing? Had those 5 years of success been reset by the one year before Morris took over, or was it a temporary hiccup?

For Arkansas, it would equivalent to something like Petrino going 4 years in a row with 10+ wins, another year with 8 wins where we were still very competitive in the losses, and then the motorcycle accident and Smiley. Would the program have lost all national relevance in that time and the new coach have to start over from scratch, or there still be a decent amount of prestige still about the program that the new coach could use? I tend to think the latter, but obviously, it's impossible to definitively say one way or the other.

I agree and, when I remarked at how new he was, I was intending to say that I would wager he's an SMU insider or very, very familiar with what happened. You know, closer to the source...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 11:03:51 pm
And yet Saban made adjustments in his offensive philosophy by hiring Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator to adjust to the current successful trends, while Bielema continued to complain and make a feeble attempt at adjusting.  Not the same.

And Saban benched that adjustment at half-time instead favoring somebody who could actually throw the ball seeing that the fad of having a running qb fails in comparison to having a throw first qb.

If entirely revamping the offense from a run first to a pass first offense under Enos is considered a feeble attempt at adjusting, I wonder what you would consider a moderate adjustment to be?

Mike_e

Thanks OP, I appreciate your comments and hope you stick around.

Now, it's early yet and I'm not finished with my first cup of coffee (although it is blue mountain) but I would like to try and explain something that gets in the way of a number of us here.  We are all human and tend to think in terms of our humanity but UAF is a place and as such exists through time rather than in time like we do.  This is why some want splash hires, they live minute by minute but don't see year by year or even further.

This seems an odd thing to post this early I know but this is what excites me about CCM's hire- he seems to recognise that it is a process that exists in a place rather than a 'this is me here now'.

Nick Sabin is famous for his process but his process isn't a what do I do next kind of a thing but a this is how I live thing.  If CCM really brings that to the hill we'll be in great shape.

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2018, 10:58:52 pm
Why? He didn't say anything that most of us haven't considered in some way or other.

Most?

LZH

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 04:19:02 pm
We're pretty much saying the same thing with the only disagreement being how stable a foundation June Jones left for Morris.

SMU had a quarter of a century without a single bowl game, and only one winning season in that time span since the death penalty.

June Jones comes in and struggled his first year, but then led SMU to 4 straight bowl games alternating 8 and 7 wins over that 4 year stretch. SMU had never been to 4 straight bowl games in it's entire history, even pre-death penalty.

Then the team went 5-7 where they were a combined 10 points away from 8 wins again with only 1 conference loss by more than 4 points. I don't think that's really a sign that he had given up. With 4 straight years of a success at a school with that record, a season like that is to be expected.

It was the next season that he quit citing that he had reached his goal of turning the program around and basically exhausted.

So the question, is 4 years of unprecedented success and a 5th year that was still better than the program was used to a stable enough base to withstand one year of an interim coach where the program quickly lost all the footing? Had those 5 years of success been reset by the one year before Morris took over, or was it a temporary hiccup?

For Arkansas, it would equivalent to something like Petrino going 4 years in a row with 10+ wins, another year with 8 wins where we were still very competitive in the losses, and then the motorcycle accident and Smiley. Would the program have lost all national relevance in that time and the new coach have to start over from scratch, or there still be a decent amount of prestige still about the program that the new coach could use? I tend to think the latter, but obviously, it's impossible to definitively say one way or the other.

They were also a few points from going 3-9 and 1 of their wins was a squeaker vs an FCS school.

Also, they lost to UCONN Houston by more than 4 points. Not sure why you're trying to act like SMU was on the cusp of greatness when rd het were slipping into the abyss.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: racinghog on January 11, 2018, 05:17:58 pm
Yep and we seem to have a plethora of newbies singing his praises.
And the same bunch of old, never-happy jackasses constantly complaining...
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

jhogg

Quote from: cpahog on January 11, 2018, 07:32:41 pm
Thank you for posting  OleJacket.  I've been here for years and don't post because of the negativity.   I come here looking for good information like you have provided.
+1
100% Razorback

oldhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 12, 2018, 02:52:20 am
And Saban benched that adjustment at half-time instead favoring somebody who could actually throw the ball seeing that the fad of having a running qb fails in comparison to having a throw first qb.

If entirely revamping the offense from a run first to a pass first offense under Enos is considered a feeble attempt at adjusting, I wonder what you would consider a moderate adjustment to be?

On the other hand it worked well for the Tide for thirteen of their fifteen games.  Saban simply showed his ability and willingness to adjust as the game unfolded.

By any stretch of the imagination, I would not consider Alabama's offense under Saban/Kiffin to be as traditional as Alabama ran before Kiffin became OC.  I harbor no illusions, Saban was and has always been in charge of that program. But he has demonstrated a willingness to make the adjustments, sometimes on a game by game basis,  that afford the Tide the best opportunity to win.  He is afforded that luxury in large part because of his successful recruiting.

Regarding the changes that Enos made, you are right.  I was probably thinking more of the success that the Razorbacks  had implementing those changes as compared to Saban and Alabama's ability to successfully effect change and never miss a beat.  More to do with player personnel? coaching? combination of both?   

jgphillips3

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 11, 2018, 11:11:41 pm

I agree and, when I remarked at how new he was, I was intending to say that I would wager he's an SMU insider or very, very familiar with what happened. You know, closer to the source...

Stephenville High's mascot is the Yellow Jackets so I'm going to take a wild guess that is the connection for OleJacketFan.

Mjs84

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 04:29:27 pm
Looking at the coaching records at Memphis, I came away more impressed with Fuente who beat us at VT than Norvell in the same way that I came away more impressed with Jones than Morris at SMU.

A big concern of mine with Morris vs Norvell is the recruiting.

In 2014: Memphis 78th and SMU was 80th.
2015: Memphis is 77th and SMU now has Morris as HC and is ranked 81st.
2016: Norvell now at memphis and now they jump to 61st in recruiting, SMU in Morris's 2nd year rises only to 75th.
2017: Norvell's 2nd year at Memphis and now they are 56th in recruiting. Morris's 3rd year and they fall back to 80th.

Norvell looks like he can take a program and improve their recruiting while Morris won't make it any worse, but doesn't seem to be able to do any better either.

I hope Morris takes this team to exceed expectations so we don't have to hear about  that pipsqueak Norvell for the next 4 years.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:29:34 pm
? UCF has been a pretty good program for a while with several players in the NFL from that school. Not sure what you are wanting to compare?

Probably a reader error here, but the tone of the post sounds like you are saying this in contrast to my post but the data would be enhancing my argument. Again, tone is hard to portray in text so that's like I said, that's probably me reading something that isn't there.

http://www.memphis.edu/admissions/freshmen/req_freshman.php
http://www.smu.edu/Admission/Apply/FirstYear/AdmissionRequirements

They aren't that different based on the website. Both need 4 units of english, 3 units of math, and 2 of a foreign language.

SMU requires one additional social science course and one additional science course which must have a lab component. Memphis requires a performance arts class which SMU does not.

Neither list any GPA or test score minimums.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the UA's minimum admission requirements,

It's ambiguous if it's required or just strongly advised, but it's listed on the page as needing a 3.0 GPA out of 4.0 (i.e. not counting college credit classes on a 5.0 scale) and a 20 on the ACT. 4 units of english (same as the other 2), 4 units of math (more than the other two), 3 units of science all with lab experience (same total as SMU, 1 more than memphis, 1 more lab requirement than SMU), 3 units of social science with more strict requirements about which classes count, and we require half a unit of fine arts, oral communication, health/safety, and physical education.

In short, both Norvell and Morris would have faced way tougher admissions requirements in recruiting than either faced at SMU or Memphis. Of course, being in the SEC we have way more draw as well.
If not stated it is definitely there. Average ACT is a 29 at SMU and a 23 at Memphis. Doesn't look like much but a 29 is the result of 90 percentile on the parts and a 23 is 65 percentile. That's a big difference. AR is a 26 or an 83 percentile.
Pittman or Bust!

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 12, 2018, 10:48:25 am
If not stated it is definitely there. Average ACT is a 29 at SMU and a 23 at Memphis. Doesn't look like much but a 29 is the result of 90 percentile on the parts and a 23 is 65 percentile. That's a big difference. AR is a 26 or an 83 percentile.
Huge difference. I can't believe someone is saying that SMU's admission standards are not higher than Memphis or even Arkansas. And while I agree a football player can get in when a regular student can't, they only lower the standards by a little. If you start higher, the standard for an athlete is still higher.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Karma on January 12, 2018, 10:56:31 am
Huge difference. I can't believe someone is saying that SMU's admission standards are not higher than Memphis or even Arkansas. And while I agree a football player can get in when a regular student can't, they only lower the standards by a little. If you start higher, the standard for an athlete is still higher.
A student still has to pass enough classes to stay playing. I would argue harder for an athlete than a non athlete taking the same courses because of the time required for football. There are tutors that help. But, it requires much better time management that a non sport athlete.
Pittman or Bust!

The NewEra

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 07:06:06 pm
I was hesitant to post on here because Im older and don't care to get into negative back and forth much. I do respect others opinions. Just seems to be a lot of negative things.  Remember this, Morris was the highest paid HS Coach in Texas at Lake Travis. He was the highest paid OC in the nation at Clemson. He was the highest paid G5 Coach last year at SMU.   More than one place has believed in him. Give him a chance and you want be disappointed!

I for one am glad you are posting here.  Maybe that's because you are reinforcing what I've already believed to be true.  My opinion is we captured lightning in a bottle with Morris.  When you look at his body of work, he has never failed over time.  When he has experienced adversity, he's reevaluated, made the necessary changes and achieved success.

Morris hire of Chavis is a great example of learning from his experience at SMU.  He knows a great offense can only propel you so far and hiring one of the top  defensive coaches in the nation, with a ton of SEC experience shows the man is capable of learning and growing at a rapid pace.  The knowledge of coaching in the SEC that Chavis brings will be invaluable to Morris and he knows it.  Morris learning curve of the SEC West was greatly reduced due to that hire alone.

I don't believe we are going to see as much hype and marketing hyperbole as with the former coach.  Morris is going to present facts and solutions that he'll implement efficiently and effectively.  He's genuine but disciplined and cares and that will attract a lot of great talent to Arkansas.

Lastly, I spent over 25 years in Texas.  I consider it my second home.  I love the Texas people and the "we will succeed" attitude that is contagious by simply living there.  Like most everyone else on here I loath the Longhorns, but most everyone I lived around in Dallas hated them too, which shows they also have great reasoning skills :)

toshortrock

it doesnt matter,,give the man a shot,,i know u guys didn;t want to keep going down same road,,at least i hope not
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

bphi11ips

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:06:32 am
I for one am glad you are posting here.  Maybe that's because you are reinforcing what I've already believed to be true.  My opinion is we captured lightning in a bottle with Morris.  When you look at his body of work, he has never failed over time.  When he has experienced adversity, he's reevaluated, made the necessary changes and achieved success.

Morris hire of Chavis is a great example of learning from his experience at SMU.  He knows a great offense can only propel you so far and hiring one of the top  defensive coaches in the nation, with a ton of SEC experience shows the man is capable of learning and growing at a rapid pace.  The knowledge of coaching in the SEC that Chavis brings will be invaluable to Morris and he knows it.  Morris learning curve of the SEC West was greatly reduced due to that hire alone.

I don't believe we are going to see as much hype and marketing hyperbole as with the former coach.  Morris is going to present facts and solutions that he'll implement efficiently and effectively.  He's genuine but disciplined and cares and that will attract a lot of great talent to Arkansas.

Lastly, I spent over 25 years in Texas.  I consider it my second home.  I love the Texas people and the "we will succeed" attitude that is contagious by simply living there.  Like most everyone else on here I loath the Longhorns, but most everyone I lived around in Dallas hated them too, which shows they also have great reasoning skills :)

Excellent post by one of Hogville's better posters.

hawg66

I was just thinking that I don't remember anyone, whether they were a Wisconsin fan or a Bielema fan, coming on here in 2013 to tell us what a great hire we made.
FWIW

farmhawg

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:06:32 am

Well said. +1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Paul

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 11, 2018, 07:39:33 pm
And Memphis is rich with hometown talent!
but most of them can't qualify directly out of high school & those that do are gobbled up by SEC schools.   

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 12, 2018, 07:58:53 am
They were also a few points from going 3-9 and 1 of their wins was a squeaker vs an FCS school.

Also, they lost to UCONN Houston by more than 4 points. Not sure why you're trying to act like SMU was on the cusp of greatness when rd het were slipping into the abyss.

They beat UCONN that year, but got wiped by Houston. Though, we would have lost by more than 4 points to Houston in 2013 as well.

Yes, there were games that they also only barely won. Guess what, that same is true during each year of the 4 year bowl stretch 10 of their 30 wins over that stretch were one possession victories. This is SMU that we are talking about here. They weren't on the cusp on greatness, by SMU standards post-death penalty, they had moved beyond greatness and into elite.

What I'm arguing is that there is variability inherent in the system. A natural ebb and flow. SMU is not less immune to that than Bama is as even Saban will have a 9-3 year every once in a while. For SMU, 5-7 is their version of having a 9-3 year. They didn't suddenly get terrible that year. They were 10 total points away from being 8-4. They lost their starting rb from the past several seasons and probably some other key players. For SMU, 5-7 is still in the top 20% of seasons for them. That is a significantly above average season for them.

That's what people who are arguing they were slipping into the abyss are forgetting. They scored more points per game that year than they did in half of their bowl eligible years. However, they gave up about an average of a td more per game that season.

Even given the previous 4 seasons with 7 and 8 wins, fans were expecting a downturn in 2013 before the season ever started citing significant losses to the OL and defensive front 7 among other issues. Many predicted a 5-7 year for the team with a possibility of 6 wins.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/21/4640694/2013-smu-football-schedule-roster-preview

If any coach went in there and went 5-7 at SMU with being that close to 8-4, it would be crowned an achievement. SMU fans weren't terribly concerned by having a down year in 2013 because they knew the team lost a lot that year and it wouldn't be easy to replace. If there was disappointment, it was seeing that the team was even closer to success that year than most expected. The argument that Jones had given up that season just doesn't match with reality.

LZH

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 12, 2018, 02:12:45 pm
They beat UCONN that year, but got wiped by Houston. Though, we would have lost by more than 4 points to Houston in 2013 as well.

Yes, there were games that they also only barely won. Guess what, that same is true during each year of the 4 year bowl stretch 10 of their 30 wins over that stretch were one possession victories. This is SMU that we are talking about here. They weren't on the cusp on greatness, by SMU standards post-death penalty, they had moved beyond greatness and into elite.

What I'm arguing is that there is variability inherent in the system. A natural ebb and flow. SMU is not less immune to that than Bama is as even Saban will have a 9-3 year every once in a while. For SMU, 5-7 is their version of having a 9-3 year. They didn't suddenly get terrible that year. They were 10 total points away from being 8-4. They lost their starting rb from the past several seasons and probably some other key players. For SMU, 5-7 is still in the top 20% of seasons for them. That is a significantly above average season for them.

That's what people who are arguing they were slipping into the abyss are forgetting. They scored more points per game that year than they did in half of their bowl eligible years. However, they gave up about an average of a td more per game that season.

Even given the previous 4 seasons with 7 and 8 wins, fans were expecting a downturn in 2013 before the season ever started citing significant losses to the OL and defensive front 7 among other issues. Many predicted a 5-7 year for the team with a possibility of 6 wins.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/21/4640694/2013- -football-schedule-roster-preview

If any coach went in there and went 5-7 at SMU with being that close to 8-4, it would be crowned an achievement. SMU fans weren't terribly concerned by having a down year in 2013 because they knew the team lost a lot that year and it wouldn't be easy to replace. If there was disappointment, it was seeing that the team was even closer to success that year than most expected. The argument that Jones had given up that season just doesn't match with reality.

Why get so entrenched in defending this position?  The OP is by a man from East Texas who has clearly spent his life following Texas football. He said SMU "was one of the worst Programs" when Chad Morris took over. They went 1-11 with an interim after Jones walked away from the program after two games citing "personal reasons". 

Not everyone has a high opinion of Jones. Here's an articles awarding Jones the "wooden spoon" as "worst coach in America" for 2014:

http://guardianlv.com/2015/01/college-football-worst-coach-in-america/

Among other things, the article is critical of Jones' recruiting in Texas.

To attach significance to Jones being the only coach to take SMU to four straight bowl games shows a lack of understanding of the history of bowl games and SMU. SMU was a P5 equivalent program for 70 years. It won SWC championships in the 20s, 40s, 60s, and 80's. From 1980 to 1984, SMU finished in the Top 10 three times and twice more in the Top 20. It finished number 2 in 1982. Had Arkansas not tied the Ponies in 1982 they woould have won a NC.  Eric Dickerson and Craig James were one of the best backfield tandems in college football history. None of June Jones' teams would have been invited to a bowl game before SMU got the death penalty. There were 18 bowl games in 1985. By 2013 there were 35.

OLEJACKET and a lot of us here remember what SMU was before the death penalty. Chad Morris does, too. He may have seen the Ponies as sleeping giant in much the same way he sees Arkansas as sleeping giant. But the situation he took over at SMU appears, at least on the surface, to be worse than the one he is taking over at Arkansas.

You may be right and OLEJACKET and I may be wrong.  At some point just leave it at that.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
It hasn't crossed your mind, too?

That the other rumored candidates had higher ceilings?? No, not really, I think they all have about the same ceiling, especially here.

snoblind

Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
It hasn't crossed your mind, too?

Sow had it right.  Why would it?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2018, 03:43:25 pm
That the other rumored candidates had higher ceilings?? No, not really, I think they all have about the same ceiling, especially here.
Quote from: snoblind on January 12, 2018, 04:20:20 pm
Sow had it right.  Why would it?

I haven't said much about the CM hire, because I don't really know anything about him. But the idea of "oh s***" has bounced around my head a couple of times. After BB, I'm on alert.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 06:49:22 pm
I haven't said much about the CM hire, because I don't really know anything about him. But the idea of "oh s***" has bounced around my head a couple of times. After BB, I'm on alert.

You're a football guy.  If you haven't watched the presser where Morris introduces Chavis and Craddock, watch it.  You'll be impressed.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 12, 2018, 03:55:14 pm
I believe it completely evidence based and rational to think this hire results in mediocrity.

From the recruiting I am seeing, you are dead wrong.

racinghog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 12, 2018, 07:42:29 pm
From the recruiting I am seeing, you are dead wrong.
Without getting into a recruiting discussion but could you be more specific.

kaiserhog

Thank you Olejacketfan, looks like Morris is reestablishing the Hogs in Texas.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: racinghog on January 12, 2018, 07:49:05 pm
Without getting into a recruiting discussion but could you be more specific.

if your not keeping up with it......wait til next 2 seasons...you will see it.

OLEJACKETFAN

Friday and Saturday they will be in several different States!! Not just Texas! I have told everyone he is a relentless worker! And he expects the same from his Staff.

racinghog

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 12, 2018, 08:39:01 pm
if your not keeping up with it......wait til next 2 seasons...you will see it.
Thanks for the specifics

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 12, 2018, 07:40:34 pm
You're a football guy.  If you haven't watched the presser where Morris introduces Chavis and Craddock, watch it.  You'll be impressed.

I don't disagree. Just not too sure yet.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 12, 2018, 02:12:45 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/21/4640694/2013-smu-football-schedule-roster-preview

http://footballscoop.com/news/june-jones-tells-si-reason-behind-resignation-hadnt-sleeping/

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2014/9/9/6124075/june-jones-resignation-when-a-failed-courtship-tanks-an-already
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

snoblind

Quote from: LZH on January 12, 2018, 06:49:22 pm

Yet you compare him to Pelphrey.  I've known about him since his Lake Travis days.  Time will tell how he does, but that's a terrible comparison.

SPAL

Heard Danny Sheridan say he believed Arkansas will be a 10 win team in 4 years under Morris and be behind only Alabama and Georgia.