V Miss St

Started by flippinhogmana, January 02, 2018, 06:48:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

dogs are playing like the team they are and they hit a three
monk answers with an easy bucket on the drive
dogs answer, now 62-45
dogs trurn it over and mason scores to make it 62-47
McCowan misses and williams scores on the other end, 62-49 with 5:27 to go.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

williams with 13 points and mason with ten
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

monk now up to seven

flippinhogmana

dogs miss the three, cosper with the board cosper misses on the drive, hogs knock it out of bounds still playing hard.
media time out apparently

flippinhogmana

still 62-49 with 4:54 to go
Swinson, Thomas and RnB in for the hogs
dogs on the timeout get it to McCowan who is fouled by Thomas, to the line, hits the first, and the second, 64-49
monk drives and misses a tough one
dogs dont need favors from the refs
dogs hit a three 67-49
mason with a turnover and the dogs hit a run out, to go up 20.

flippinhogmana

hogs time out, cosper hits a two
McCowan scores inside and is fouled, hits the ft, 72-51
illegal screen called on zimmer
dogs hit a three, they are hot now
Rnb hits a two, 74-53
dogs turn it over and monk runs it out and is fouled will go to the line, missses the first, and hits the second, back to a twenty point lead
mason hits on a run out, down by eighteen
dogs answer with a three, 76-56

flippinhogmana

zimmer with a foul on McCowan, will go to the line, she shoots 55 percent but hasnt missed one , now misses the second
77-56
hogs fouled on the board
zimmer to the line
misses the first and hits the second, back to a twenty point lead

flippinhogmana

dogs get and inside bucket, 79-57 at the end of three
willaims still at 13, mason up to twelve, cosper, monk, and RnB at eight, thomas still at four, and zimmer at four as well

flippinhogmana

cosper now leading the boards with seven

flippinhogmana

hogs now at ten turnovers, cosper leads that too with four

Kevin

did a great job for a half. just don't have enough horses
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

flippinhogmana

fourth q.
hogs with ball, and turn it over and the dogs score off it
monk drives and misses and the dogs answer with a three
84-57
hogs answer with a three (cosper, up to eleven)
McCowan hits inside, 86-60
cosper airbball a three
dogs miss on the other end and Rbn drives into a charge
dogs get it to McCowan who scores inside
monk misses on the other end
dogs miss a three, but they say it was on the hogs, bad call imho
hogs get it back after a dogs miss
tie up and the hogs get it
eight seconds of the shot clock for the hogs, mason buries the three 88-63

flippinhogmana

McCowna fouled hits the first, and the second 90-63
hogs getting worned down and outmanned now, but cosper hits a jumper
94-65 after dog bucket

flippinhogmana

4:57 to go now and the hogs have spent just about all they had to give tonight.
but they are still playing to hard for Vic to pull his troops just yet.

flippinhogmana

dogs scoring at will inside now

flippinhogmana

hogs reserves in now, and so are some dog reserves.
102-65 now
hog turnover when no one comes for the ball
hogs lose 111-69 but they played a whole lot better than they did against ASU.

flippinhogmana

mason high scorer for the hogs with 15
cosper high on boards with seven

psycHOGlogist

Much better first half than I expected, and a worse second half. The defense just needs to get better.

We're not going to do that well when Monk goes 3-16, though - that's painful, and she needed to stop shooting.

Gotta say, disappointed in Vic for leaving his starters in as long as he did. That was not classy, imo.

Basketball fan

Only got beat by six last year against them and with same players  minus jackson.....I was at game and tied with one minute left...not quite the case this year :(

Basketball fan

Another little tidbit flippinhogmana....we may have set a school record in womens basketball....can't find in last 13 years where we let some one torch us for 111 points...not a record to be proud of !! Embarrassment  deluxe

psycHOGlogist

January 04, 2018, 10:23:12 pm #70 Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:36:12 pm by psycHOGlogist
Lol - If you're going to come on here and trash talk, get your facts right. We lost by 8, and we lost Cooley and Jackson. Cooley matters. And we played an entirely different style of basketball last year, both on O and D.

MS State's players are better than ours at every position (and bigger at most), which we all know. Finally, they shot lights out tonight at home, which they didn't last year at BWA.

flippinhogmana

January 05, 2018, 12:47:16 am #71 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:03:51 am by flippinhogmana
McCowan wasnt even a starter at this time last year.  She played a couple of minutes and didn't score.  MsState grew up a lot later in the year.  They are a lot better team this year at the same time.

And yes I am proud of them.  I am proud of their first half especially the first quarter.  They wore down and didnt do as well the second half because of it.  But they are a learning, building team.  They will learn and grow, even from this.  They wont fade down the stretch this year, they will grow stronger and play even better. 

flippinhogmana

January 05, 2018, 05:22:11 am #72 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:01:57 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 04, 2018, 09:47:31 pm
Much better first half than I expected, and a worse second half. The defense just needs to get better.

We're not going to do that well when Monk goes 3-16, though - that's painful, and she needed to stop shooting.

Gotta say, disappointed in Vic for leaving his starters in as long as he did. That was not classy, imo.

what is even worse in my book (after having watched it a second time while not doing the thread), I really didnt like how much Vic was on the refs.  When I used to be an occupant of the bench, I normally wouldn't get on the refs for certain reasons (one i liked to show them some respect, and two I liked to respect the game and let the kids play).  I considered that the right way.

But I would get on them some if they really blew a call in an obvious fashion, and I would get on them if the other coach started to get on them to try to get calls.  If you ride the officials then you are probably going to get some calls out of most of them.  But if you do it for any other reason other than to make sure you get an even break for your team, you are doing it to get an advantage.  That's why we have officials in the first place - to prevent that. 

I never really liked coaches who did that (rode the refs to get an unfair advantage, and I would get on the refs just as much as the other coach did once he started it, because I do know pysch, Psyche!  I do have a minor in that).  I do know that if one coach rides the refs, the other coach needs to counter balance it or he will be soon playing at a disadvantage.

Vic rode the refs far too much and he got quite a few calls that were blocks called as charges, as well as some other calls.  His girls didnt need that.  A decent ref (and yes I have officiated in basketball, too) would see over a half dozen calls that were called wrong, and against the hogs.  Most of them were called when the hogs were from 10-20 points down.

It probably didnt make a difference in the outcome of the game, but Vic's conduct made a difference in my respect for him.  BUT NO WORRIES what goes around comes around!

nwahogfan1

As we continue growing into an uptempo free shooting team we better hope we can bring in better athletes who are better scorers, better rebounders and longer more athletic players who love defense forcing TOs and bad shots.  Ms St had wide open shots though out the game last night.  I was very disappointed in that. 

Do not get me wrong, I like the uptempo style free shooting style but it requires the right players to win.  If we do not sign better, bigger, smarter players we will see more losses in years to come like we saw last night.   

LadybackBBFan

I have not read all the threads, but I have the gest.  I thought we played our best quarter in the first quarter for the year.  Our first half was as good as we can play especially against a team like this one.  I have three concerns or questions:
1) Our fourth quarter in our last three games has been our worst quarter in each game as compared to earlier this year when it was our best.  Why?
2) Why did we not try Weaver earlier in the third quarter when the game was starting to get away from us.  Williams was doing okay, but Thomas had no answer for McGowan - Weaver could not have done any worse.  Thomas played exceptional in the second half of the first quarter and in the second quarter, but it was not against McGowan as she was on the bench.
3) Why is Swenson not playing more?  She played a lot of minutes last year as a 4 with Jackson at the 5.  She brings us a larger body in a zone down low.  I do recognize that she is weak on man to man on the wing.
Other than above, I am really high on our potential to make the NIT.  The announcers also were very positive on Arkansas last night saying that we might win 4 of our next 5 games. 

flippinhogmana

January 05, 2018, 01:48:01 pm #75 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:07:59 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 05, 2018, 09:17:49 am
I have not read all the threads, but I have the gest.  I thought we played our best quarter in the first quarter for the year.  Our first half was as good as we can play especially against a team like this one.  I have three concerns or questions:
1) Our fourth quarter in our last three games has been our worst quarter in each game as compared to earlier this year when it was our best.  Why?
2) Why did we not try Weaver earlier in the third quarter when the game was starting to get away from us.  Williams was doing okay, but Thomas had no answer for McGowan - Weaver could not have done any worse.  Thomas played exceptional in the second half of the first quarter and in the second quarter, but it was not against McGowan as she was on the bench.
3) Why is Swenson not playing more?  She played a lot of minutes last year as a 4 with Jackson at the 5.  She brings us a larger body in a zone down low.  I do recognize that she is weak on man to man on the wing.
Other than above, I am really high on our potential to make the NIT.  The announcers also were very positive on Arkansas last night saying that we might win 4 of our next 5 games.

There may be those (one in particular it seems who has chosen to make this personal with me) who think that we (me in particular) see no fault in MN.  But coach, you ask your questions not because of blind allegiance, but because you are thinking sentient being.  I wasn't going to say anything but I was noticing some of the same things, questioning some of the same things.  I think coaches can make mistakes too.  I think there are always reasons why they do.

why have we been outplayed the fourth quarter when we formerly were outplaying most everyone in the fourth quarter before?  I can only offer this LBBF, I think the mental energy of a game is at least as important as the physical energy.  This team fell apart mentally last year, not physically.  Most everyone on the team is playing at a higher level than they have ever before.  I think (in particular to the games you mention) they have laid out about all the mental energy they have in the tank to get them to the fourth quarter.  I think they were gassed.  They were coming off getting blown out at ASU.  They might just start to remember their former selves a bit in the fourth quarter. 

Swenson played like a tigress in boarding last night, as did Thomas and Williams for the first two quarters.  When they began to see it wasn't going to be enough (I think Ms State played and shot last night about as well as they are ever going to be capable of playing) I think they let down a little mentally.  All of them let down a little mentally. 

I have been thinking that Weaver (I have hinted I thought that before) should be playing more, especially in short stretches.  All I can say is that there are only 200 playing minutes available.  In that stretch he has to develop a bunch of players more in the style of play that he needs them to be good at.  That list includes Thomas, Williams, Swinson, RnB and Weaver at least (if you dont include Mason, Monk and Cosper).  Thomas who is more advanced in some ways was almost disappearing for a while.  Now she is coming back on.  But still Weaver needs to be thrown out there more.  Swinson, is I think growing too. 

Just like the ASU game exposed us, so did this game.  But I am 10 times more heartened by this game than I was by the ASU game.  We hit MSU in the mouth last night and they hit us right back and we played toe to toe with them for a quarter and a half.  We started getting gassed after than mentally and especially physically.  Pushing against particularly McCowan wore them down.   Our posts scored 15 pts in the first half, two in the second half.  I dont think Weaver would have contributed to that drop off, she might have even helped.

But, There is quite a few productive segments to show the girls from this one.  The last 12 minutes of the game were disappointing, but I dont think MSU will play that good and shoot that good again this year.  I think we will get stronger and stronger.  And I hope MN uses MW a bit more.  But I saw some tigresses on the court last night, even if it was just for a bit.  We ARE going to win quite a few more games this year.  You can count on it.

Speaking off some of the teams we played in the last three games, did you notice the Hill girl from LR went off for a quadruple double last night?  We held her down a lot under that did we not? 

nwahogfan1

Why does Zimmerman get so many minutes?   

LadybackBBFan

Flippinhogmana, I agree with most of what you have said, but it still does not change my mind about my questions being legitimate.  I intend to seek answers to these questions.  Our next four games, two at home and two on the road, are all winnable, but I do not expect us to win all of them.  However, it is important that we win at least two and be competitive in all four.  We will know a lot more after these four games. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 05, 2018, 02:30:55 pm
Flippinhogmana, I agree with most of what you have said, but it still does not change my mind about my questions being legitimate.  I intend to seek answers to these questions.  Our next four games, two at home and two on the road, are all winnable, but I do not expect us to win all of them.  However, it is important that we win at least two and be competitive in all four.  We will know a lot more after these four games.

Of course they are legitimate questions.  But I bet MN questions his own actions too after the fact.  I bet he is trying to protect Macy Weaver in particular, not exposing her too much too soon.  If that is the case it is laudable, but sometimes you just have to talk to the player and trust her.  I think she has it in her from what I have seen.  She has already come farther, faster than what I expected.  I think there is more in her. 

I EXPECT us to win most of those next five games if not all.  I know I am way out on a limb, but I have seen more and more what these young ladies are capable of in short stretches.  Last night for 12 minutes they totally bought in and believed.  They just have to do it for 40.  Mike knows that.  He has been getting them there more and more.  Mason and RnB have improved a lot this year (Monk and Cosper have been in it from the get).  Swinson is improving too (the delay was buy in and seeing how she fit).  Williams and Thomas are playing out manned every game but still they too are improving. 

I think we have all seen a lot and got excited by the possibilities (and tasting some of it this year).  We have to believe too and to be as patient as MN is with them.  I have told you guys before I think we are capable of winning eight games this year.  But I will tell you now that if we can play the way we played the first twelve, and extend that, we will win eight games or more this year.  I am not ashamed to say that even if some of you think it is overly optimistic.

LadybackBBFan

You are right, I think it is very overly optimistic.  Especially since we have only been .500 or better less than five times in our time in the SEC.  If you do not believe me, look it up.

flippinhogmana

I agree it appears overly optimistic and I dont have to look it up.  I have been a razorback fan all my life and a women's basketball fan since it was introduced.  I know what you say is true.  But I remember what Blair did and I remember what Collen did one year too.  MN is a better fit for us that what even they were.  Just hide and watch.  i am not chastening you LBBF.  I know you are just being logical.  I am out on the edge because I believe.  Its okay, I can take the criticism.  I can take the disappointment when we fall short too. 

But I will say this, I have looked extensively at each team in the conference.  Other than MS State, and SC - I dont think there are any teams that we cant beat.  This second round of games have also exposed other teams as well, such as Mizzou.  Tenneesee is a good team but I think they can be beat (maybe not by us on the road, but I think we could beat them at home).  Georgia is beatable (again maybe not by us on the road).  Kentucky, Bama, Ole Miss, Vandy and Florida are all teams that we can beat and probably should beat.  LSU is playing above what they are really capable of and will come back to earth.  A&M might be better than they are playing but they are not hitting on all cylinders right now.  Auburn is in the beatable category too.  Thats why I said I thought we were capable of winning eight games.  I think that even more so now.  I think we will get it more and more and (barring injury to anybody) improve more and more.  We will see.

LadybackBBFan

We will see. Yes, Flippin, we will all know in less than two months.  Yes, most teams are beatable.  Look at how close Kentucky came to Texas A&M at their place - a big surprise to me.  Missouri's best play, Cunningham, was out for their game when they lost.  I do not think that we can count on her not being available for us.  Tell me how many we would win with Cosper or Monk out this year.  I enjoy our challenges of each other.   

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 06, 2018, 08:59:31 am
We will see. Yes, Flippin, we will all know in less than two months.  Yes, most teams are beatable.  Look at how close Kentucky came to Texas A&M at their place - a big surprise to me.  Missouri's best play, Cunningham, was out for their game when they lost.  I do not think that we can count on her not being available for us.  Tell me how many we would win with Cosper or Monk out this year.  I enjoy our challenges of each other.

Iron sharpens iron coach.  As for Cosper, Monk or Mason being out, that is why I couched my predictions in parenthesis barring no injuries  Our rebuilding will happen over time (I can wait to see Dungee in action) but this season is fragile in one respect and it is contingent wholly on no injuries of any consequence. 

LadybackBBFan

We are in complete agreement about injuries this year.  We really started to fall apart last year when we had injuries -Monk, Cosper, and Freeman.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 06, 2018, 11:53:01 am
We are in complete agreement about injuries this year.  We really started to fall apart last year when we had injuries -Monk, Cosper, and Freeman.

In fairness to JD, the season unraveled almost before it began last year.  There was the adversity DC went through, the lingering injury to Aalayiah Wilson that kept her from getting untracked.  Being short at guards the offense never got rolling and then there was the anthem protest that alienated the fan base.  I think JD was done, but it likely hastened his demise.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 06, 2018, 09:56:08 pm
In fairness to JD, the season unraveled almost before it began last year.  There was the adversity DC went through, the lingering injury to Aalayiah Wilson that kept her from getting untracked.  Being short at guards the offense never got rolling and then there was the anthem protest that alienated the fan base.  I think JD was done, but it likely hastened his demise.
It started with the kneeling which forever damaged the fan base.  However, the team had success early in spite of injuries to Cosper and Wilson.  Then Danberry left, Monk got injured, Freeman got injured and then never came back.  It was just a disaster.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 07, 2018, 08:00:27 am
It started with the kneeling which forever damaged the fan base.  However, the team had success early in spite of injuries to Cosper and Wilson.  Then Danberry left, Monk got injured, Freeman got injured and then never came back.  It was just a disaster.
yes that is all true in painful detail, but the success was against less that stellar opposition too. The day of conference play revealed all the underlying deficiencies.  That along with the other things you detailed lead to the disaster you aptly called it.