Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the word on Mincey?

Started by Sho Nuff, December 25, 2017, 02:24:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 02:22:31 pm
A lot of the reasoning behind the Chavis hire was that he would be able to attract top assistants. 

Go get a successful up-and-comer from a smaller school.  Why retain someone that got fired from Texas Tech, and produced an atrocious DL last year at Arkansas- as well as bringing in zero players (unless Gooden somehow makes it to campus.)

I just don't understand it.

So, you wanted Buddy Wyatt from SMU? I doubt he would have opened any doors in Texas that wasn't already opened, and I figure their DL was on the same garbage level as ours.

imtad16

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 11, 2018, 02:37:55 pm
Maybe Scott is better than given credit.  Assistants don't operate in a vacuum.  It's not like he was surrounded with measurable SEC talent.  And he sure wasn't surrounded with SEC caliber assistants...or HC for that matter.

https://wreckemred.com/2014/12/06/texas-tech-defensive-line-coach-john-scott-jr-resigns/

This is what a Tech website had to say about his abrupt exit from Lubbock:

"Though no reason was given for the move and none likely is coming, it’s fair to assume production was the main issue here. As we outlined yesterday in our review of the 2014 defensive line, Texas Tech’s rushing defense was historically bad and the Red Raiders ranked no higher than 108th in any given statistical category.

Sack numbers and tackles for loss would’ve also been down were it not for Pete Robertson, who recorded 12 on his own.

However, it seems grossly premature to dismiss Scott so soon after giving him nothing but a handful of JUCOs to work with these last two years. New faces combined with injuries seemed to be the real issue this year, not to mention a young secondary that struggled to cover one-on-one and an inept group of linebackers.

What Texas Tech desperately need this year that they haven’t had in over half a decade was continuity in the coaching staff. No no faces, new styles or new jargon, but consistency from the leadership. Unfortunately that won’t be happening this year"

There was a lot of volatility that season for their defense that season they lost their DC after a few games.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 02:45:35 pm
So, you wanted Buddy Wyatt from SMU? I doubt he would have opened any doors in Texas that wasn't already opened, and I figure their DL was on the same garbage level as ours.

???

Did I black out and say I wanted Buddy Wyatt from SMU? 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SDZ_Hog

Gooden just needs an Art class. He was waiting on whether we had the numbers  I'm guessing Gooden will get the call now and we will see him committing. Just a guess. 

colbs

Quote from: imtad16 on January 11, 2018, 02:46:27 pm
https://wreckemred.com/2014/12/06/texas-tech-defensive-line-coach-john-scott-jr-resigns/

This is what a Tech website had to say about his abrupt exit from Lubbock:

"Though no reason was given for the move and none likely is coming, it's fair to assume production was the main issue here. As we outlined yesterday in our review of the 2014 defensive line, Texas Tech's rushing defense was historically bad and the Red Raiders ranked no higher than 108th in any given statistical category.

Sack numbers and tackles for loss would've also been down were it not for Pete Robertson, who recorded 12 on his own.

However, it seems grossly premature to dismiss Scott so soon after giving him nothing but a handful of JUCOs to work with these last two years. New faces combined with injuries seemed to be the real issue this year, not to mention a young secondary that struggled to cover one-on-one and an inept group of linebackers.

What Texas Tech desperately need this year that they haven't had in over half a decade was continuity in the coaching staff. No no faces, new styles or new jargon, but consistency from the leadership. Unfortunately that won't be happening this year"

There was a lot of volatility that season for their defense that season they lost their DC after a few games.

I am interested to see what he does with this staff.  I think a lot has to do with the HC & coordinator.  I'm not sure he put in a good position here last year.  The team just switched to a 3-4, defense philosophy was more of a react defense not a attacking defense, and the HC was on the hot seat coming in.

Wildhog

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on January 11, 2018, 02:54:46 pm
Gooden just needs an Art class. He was waiting on whether we had the numbers  I'm guessing Gooden will get the call now and we will see him committing. Just a guess. 

Gooden's been a weird deal from the beginning and nothing would surprise me on that front.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 02:52:10 pm
???

Did I black out and say I wanted Buddy Wyatt from SMU? 

Well, supposedly those were the two that interviewed......

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:26:24 pm
So Mincey's gone and Gooden may not make it to campus.  As of now, looks like there's a decent chance Scott brings us zero signees this year.

As I have mentioned in the past, I am not impressed with Scott.  He ruffles feathers within his position group as well.  I am guessing with this next thought, but my guess is our first option and maybe even second options declined.  I personally also liked the idea that no one from last years defensive staff to be retained. 

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 03:00:45 pm

Then we should have interviewed more.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 03:02:11 pm
Then we should have interviewed more.

Only two names I heard, but I will pass it on to Chad if he asks for any advice. They wouldn't have been my choices, but I don't have any idea on what it takes to put a football staff together.

SooieGeneris

The early signing period has changed everything. It is much more difficult due to time constraints to get a quick turnaround by then. Fortunately, the players don't have to sign in Dec.

I think a lot of them have figured out they don't get as much attention and hoopla signing then when school is out etc. I'm not as pessimistic as Wildhog, but he is right in that we need to have a great Jan. getting visits and get signatures from a bunch of these kids on LOIs on Feb 7.

Eddie Smith CB
Tyree Wilson WDE
Courtre Alexander WDE
Myles Mason S
Mario Goodrich CB
Aaron Brule S
Rakeem Boyd RB (JC)
James Foster II QB
Charles Strong RB
Emmit Gooden DT

These 10 kids are some of the top targets from what I can tell. We won't get all of them I don't think, but 6 would be good.

Gooden seems to REALLY want to come here. He is expecting or hoping for a grade in that online art class Jan. 15. He did graduate from JC in Dec. so that's all he needs. The kid has done his part to get here, he could have signed elsewhere and qualified in another conference  in Dec.

I don't think you can turn the kid away if he gets that grade, DTs with his ability are just too rare.

Wilson was recently offered by Texas, but the Texas guys on 24/7 projected him to us early in the week.

The most recent crystal balls for Alexander have him coming here including one from UT where he has an offer.

If we get those 3 plus Mason and Eddie Smith, I would call that a good defensive nucleus. Smith just picked up an offer from 'Bama, but their DB coach is going to the Raiders. He has visited Mizzou and TCU with visits scheduled this month to TN, MSU and us. He would have to cancel a visit to visit 'Bama. If he does so, it would be safe to rule that school out. He de-committed from TCU, so rule them out.

CM said at some point he expected to sign 8-10 more to add to the 8 who signed in Dec. about evenly between offense and defense. If we could get the above 5, I don't care if we only get 3 of offense as long as one is a OT.

The main offensive targets seem to be QB Foster, probably a long shot, and RBs Strong and Boyd, take one or Deneric Prince, no more likely.

That leaves the line since we have so many TEs and WRs. We have a bunch of young WRs, but you don't pass on a Tommy Bush or the like, especially with the desire to get taller there according to Craddock. The Moore twin who was uncommitted recently pledged to Oregon BTW. I don't know if we get another WR or not.

In the line, we put out an offer to Ryan Winkel, a T out of Memphis. He has offers to Nebraska and MS St. in addition to NW and a bunch of C-USA type schools Memphis and Tulsa etc. He was thought to be an MSU lean, I haven't heard if he will visit the Hill or not.

If Winkel goes elsewhere, Jax Gassaway of Star City is a possibility. He wants to come here according to 24/7. Big, tall, rangy kid with long arms. 6'7 280 or so with good footwork. He carries his weight well with room for a lot more.

Other than that, the only other names I've heard are Tyrus Wheat, a LB/S committed to Mizzou and Jaylen Moody, an uncommitted LB out of SC who just picked up an offer from OM and us.

There are other offers of course, Dorian Gerald and a few others. Gerald seems to be a longshot as he is gathering offers from all over the country.

Most of the other offers I've seen on Twitter are for 2019 and 2020, but I will go back and check.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 03:10:19 pm
Only two names I heard, but I will pass it on to Chad if he asks for any advice. They wouldn't have been my choices, but I don't have any idea on what it takes to put a football staff together.

I mean... it's football.

We're not talking nuclear physics here.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 03:14:07 pm
I mean... it's football.

We're not talking nuclear physics here.

So, so you know how much money we had slotted for assistants, who had any interest working for Morris, had any desire to coach at Arkansas? I think it's a little more involved than calling up someone and saying, "I've got $350,000/yr, want to coach in a league you'll get your brains beat out?"

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 03:23:13 pm
So, so you know how much money we had slotted for assistants, who had any interest working for Morris, had any desire to coach at Arkansas? I think it's a little more involved than calling up someone and saying, "I've got $350,000/yr, want to coach in a league you'll get your brains beat out?"

I think we could call up almost literally any G5 DL coach and get him to crawl to Fayetteville, yes.  Most people like money.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgjr

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 11, 2018, 12:46:08 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

I know it was said yesterday that Scott was being retained, but i find it odd he is the only name not listed on the coaching staff. Maybe this is all related
Is Scott still on staff?

Tusks

What about the DL coach over at ASU.  He coached at Fay. high and everyone was raving about him, he didn't even seem to get a look.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 03:25:13 pm
I think we could call up almost literally any G5 DL coach and get him to crawl to Fayetteville, yes.  Most people like money.

And any G5 is better?

Wildhog

Quote from: tusked on January 11, 2018, 03:27:39 pm
What about the DL coach over at ASU.  He coached at Fay. high and everyone was raving about him, he didn't even seem to get a look.

Would have loved to get Early.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 03:28:04 pm
Would have loved to get Early.

I think Early would have been a gamble, but worth the look. Do you think Chavis had any input on the hires?

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:49:13 pm
LaDarius Bishop was a nice get.  Mullen leaving MSU worked out well there.
Oops...don't know why that slipped my mind. Ferrell, too. Still, it's been a discouraging process thus far.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 03:00:45 pm

why isn't caldwell just taking over the Dline

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 03:30:24 pm
I think Early would have been a gamble, but worth the look. Do you think Chavis had any input on the hires?

Early produced a DL that was 32nd in the country in rush D, 25th in sacks, and 14th in TFL.  Now, I understand that other defensive components play a role in that, but ASU had a good DL.

Also, look at what Bam Hardmon was able to do at Troy.  It's even more impressive.

And yes, I would imagine Chavis had input.  Although I obviously can't say how much.
1909/1964/1965/1977

dbankster

WholeHog reporting that decommitted today.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: dbankster on January 11, 2018, 03:36:44 pm
WholeHog reporting that decommitted today.

Georgia Class A is the next to the lowest classification in Georgia.  Equivalent to Class 2A in Arkansas.
He likely would not see the field for a few years.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

colbs

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 11, 2018, 06:05:20 pm
Georgia Class A is the next to the lowest classification in Georgia.  Equivalent to Class 2A in Arkansas.
He likely would not see the field for a few years.
Georgia HS in on a whole another level compared to Arkansas HS.

JIHawg

With Tyree Wilson visiting and scholarships being scarce, I'm thinking he may have been invited to decommit.

Wildhog

Quote from: JIHawg on January 11, 2018, 07:21:42 pm
With Tyree Wilson visiting and scholarships being scarce, I'm thinking he may have been invited to decommit.

I'm thinking he's a Georgia kid that got a UGA offer.
1909/1964/1965/1977

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: JIHawg on January 11, 2018, 07:21:42 pm
I was kind of thinking the same, there is talk that he is flipping to us. And with Fulwider, Ferrell, Nichols and possibly Gooden, there may not be anymore scholarships they want to use on d-line

RaisinHog

Only thing is really think gooden is the only one of those who will come in and play right away

Pig in the Pokey

tYREE wILSON IS BETTER ANYWAY. WPS
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 07:42:14 pm
I'm thinking he's a Georgia kid that got a UGA offer.

Rivals has him with a Georgia offer while 247 and ESPN don't. He does have several closer to home offers for sure.

cram224

Quote from: colbs on January 11, 2018, 06:35:27 pm
Georgia HS in on a whole another level compared to Arkansas HS.
You got that right.

Oklahawg

Wildhog, I don't get the non-stop cynicism and grousing.

You actually know the names of the coaches prior to them being hired. That's a step up, right?

We have limited scholarship so we are not going to take your top 40 wish list. Mine either.

Lighten up, or visit another forum for a while.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 11, 2018, 08:44:31 pm
Wildhog, I don't get the non-stop cynicism and grousing.

You actually know the names of the coaches prior to them being hired. That's a step up, right?

We have limited scholarship so we are not going to take your top 40 wish list. Mine either.

Lighten up, or visit another forum for a while.

Let this be as much (more?) for some of you who are new around here. If anyone has earned the right to be a bit cynical it is a veteran poster like Wildhog.

Shall we play nice, me included?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JIHawg

Okla is right.  Some of you guys need to rethink why you come on these boards.  The premise is we do this for fun.  How can it be any fun to get on here and just be gripey and grouchy  all the time?

hogfan58

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 12:47:14 pm
This could be possible but I figure it has more too do with the fact it's 2 hours too Gainesville and a long dang way too Fayetteville

I love when people make this argument about why we lose commits.....almost like saying how far it is from  Hawaii to Alabama when the starter is a soph, who has played for a NC. While I know the situation is a bit different, distance doesn't seem to be an issue, or playing time.   
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

code red

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 12:40:53 pm
Yes, we dropped a DE from Georgia with offers to Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, MSU and others because Chavis wanted a DE from Texas.

Makes perfect sense.
Agreed.  We are ranked 14th in the SEC. How do you spin this in s positive light.  Chad is gonna need to win first.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: hogfan58 on January 12, 2018, 06:02:28 am
I love when people make this argument about why we lose commits.....almost like saying how far it is from  Hawaii to Alabama when the starter is a soph, who has played for a NC. While I know the situation is a bit different, distance doesn't seem to be an issue, or playing time.
WIN.  Let's win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

RaisinHog

Quote from: hogfan58 on January 12, 2018, 06:02:28 am

Alabama has won 5 of the last 9 Natty's .. they get who they want when they want ... It's apples to oranges..

jackflash

Don't expect a top 40 class the first year. If we can improve Texas recruiting and a lot more speed on defense will call it a  good year

Tusks

If the hogs drop Mincey to get Wilson then don't ever say you can't recruit enough DL to Fay.

Always have and always will be able to get DL to the hill.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

Quote from: tusked on January 12, 2018, 11:03:36 am
If the hogs drop Mincey to get Wilson then don't ever say you can't recruit enough DL to Fay.

Not being negative, but we didn't drop Mincey. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Oklahawg

Quote from: tusked on January 12, 2018, 11:03:36 am

Didn't drop Mincey as much as we are encountering a crowded living room trying to win the signature.

Piggfoot

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 11, 2018, 03:01:04 pm
As I have mentioned in the past, I am not impressed with Scott.  He ruffles feathers within his position group as well.  I am guessing with this next thought, but my guess is our first option and maybe even second options declined.  I personally also liked the idea that no one from last years defensive staff to be retained.
whose feathers were ruffled and how do you know this?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.