Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Omahogs #3 Preseason

Started by soooieman, December 19, 2017, 12:29:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soooieman

Kevin

only problem is, we usually don't do as well when we are ranked high in the preseason.

I hope this year is different
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

flippinhogmana

I too bear that in mind from past year's experiences.  We have talked about that several times here.  But I think (and hope) that this year might be different.  There are several seasoned players returning who had down years last year who might have more to prove than normal.  There are also very good young players that will be on their heels for playing time.  I think the dynamic is different this year.  I don't believe we have ever had this good of a team either.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

BroyledNutts

I feel confident we now have the coaching staff that will embrace a high ranking and not be intimidated by it. There's a different air about this team, from the head coach on down.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 03:32:47 pm
I feel confident we now have the coaching staff that will embrace a high ranking and not be intimidated by it. There's a different air about this team, from the head coach on down.

Vitello and Jorn didn't embrace a high ranking ?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

popcornhog

Quote from: soooieman on December 19, 2017, 12:29:25 pm
This season can't get here soon enough!!!

http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-baseball-div-poll-12-19-17/

I'm excited, too, but I'm enjoying basketball season too much to want to skip to Spring just yet.
WPS

SPAL

Best team on paper that I've seen here.

And we make Omaha every 3 years and this is the year.

pigture perfect

I know our basketball is good, but the diamond hogs are elite. I'm ready!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JHicks3636

The pressure is on and I love it. LET"S PLAY BALL!!!

GrizzlyRider07

So we have any big bats this year like spanberger last year?
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

ucahogfan

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on December 20, 2017, 03:26:10 pm
So we have any big bats this year like spanberger last year?
Fletcher, Koch, Bonfield, Shaddy, Gates

Half of Spanberger's HRs came in like a 10 day period otherwise he would have finished with something like what Koch and Fletcher had.  While I don't think anyone hits 20 HRs this year, each of those 5 players could be 10+ HR guys.  Guys like Lee, Cole, and Biggers show some pop as well.  This lineup should hit 75+ HRs again this year with what we are returning.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Great to see the Hogs getting some recognition and deservingly so.  Hogs are pretty loaded this year and brought in some serious elite high school talent.  We also landed the #3 recruiting class this season also.

I went to the fall WS games at Baum a few months ago, the freshman looked great.

I think we have players that can make a difference all over the field!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 19, 2017, 10:43:42 pm

I"ve been thinking this in the back of my mind.   

Hogs run wild

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 19, 2017, 10:43:42 pm

how good is our pitching? is the bullpen deep? thanks.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

TNhawgfan

Where we are ranked doesn't matter much to me, but i would LOVE to finish higher than LSU in the SEC standings. Hate them so much
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hogs run wild on December 22, 2017, 06:51:59 pm
how good is our pitching? is the bullpen deep? thanks.
Not SPAL but IMO the starting pitching will be B+ while the bullpen is probably a B-. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 23, 2017, 08:32:32 am
Not SPAL but IMO the starting pitching will be B+ while the bullpen is probably a B-.
Think I would go a little higher on the starting pitching.  Our 1-2 punch of Knight / Campbell will probably be as good as any in the country and then Murphy was really solid down the stretch last year.  We also have options like Keaton McKinney (more mid-season) who has been an ace for us before and Evan Lee for the mound.

The pen is a bigger question mark especially with Kopps going down, but the talent is definitely there.  Reindl is obviously our most proven option returning and has added some velo this fall.  Cronin has elite stuff although his command was shaky at times last year.  Loseke's raw stuff is really good, but his command is definitely iffy.  Loseke could be every bit as good as Knight and Campbell if he had their command.  The freshmen all have big time potential in Rutledge, Bonnin, Ramage, Milligan, Bolden, and Vermillion.

razCzar

FWIW... here's the SEC in this rundown:
In the SECW all but AL in top 50

PRESEASON
Rk    Team ('17 Final Record)  Points
1.    Florida (52-19)               497
3.    Arkansas (45-19)            493
6.    Vanderbilt (36-25-1)       482
10.    Louisiana St. (52-20)     471
13.    Mississippi St. (40-27)   465
19.    South Carolina (35-25)  450
33.    Texas A&M (41-23)       412
35.    Auburn (37-26)            407
38.    Mississippi (32-25)       398

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

I wished I lived close enough to get season tickets & attend all the home games. Nothing quite like baseball in person; eating peanuts & hot dogs, & cheering on the Razorbacks!

Tony Perkis

Quote from: razCzar on December 24, 2017, 03:38:35 pm

PRESEASON
Quite stout, per usual.

SPAL

Quote from: 1dayinthelifeofporkiepig on December 25, 2017, 10:45:53 am
I wished I lived close enough to get season tickets & attend all the home games. Nothing quite like baseball in person; eating peanuts & hot dogs, & cheering on the Razorbacks!

Truth

bulldog04

Quote from: razCzar on December 24, 2017, 03:38:35 pm

PRESEASON

I just don't see LSU having a great year.  I know they recruit well but they lost a ton including their leaders.

dotnet

Quote from: bulldog04 on December 25, 2017, 07:54:58 pm
I just don't see LSU having a great year.  I know they recruit well but they lost a ton including their leaders.

Arkansas in 2019 could lose its entire starting rotation, its three or four best hitters, and you would still expect it to compete to host right? 

Out:  Knight, Campbell, Bonfield,  Shaddy,  Gates,  Koch, Cole,  Murphy,  Biggers, Bullpen guys, McKinney

Still In: P: Lee, Cronin, Bonnin, other true freshmen this year and last  H: Lee, Fletcher, McFarland, Turney, Kjerstad, Bonnin, Martin, Opitz

And this isn't counting the 2-3 true freshman for 2019 that we would expect to be able to contribute right away (ie. Turney, Martin, Kjerstad, etc.)

I would not pick LSU to finish higher than Arkansas, but it isn't crazy that LSU should be a really good team just because they lost some key people

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on December 31, 2017, 02:14:13 pm
Arkansas in 2019 could lose its entire starting rotation, its three or four best hitters, and you would still expect it to compete to host right? 

Out:  Knight, Campbell, Bonfield,  Shaddy,  Gates,  Koch, Cole,  Murphy,  Biggers, Bullpen guys, McKinney

Still In: P: Lee, Cronin, Bonnin, other true freshmen this year and last  H: Lee, Fletcher, McFarland, Turney, Kjerstad, Bonnin, Martin, Opitz

And this isn't counting the 2-3 true freshman for 2019 that we would expect to be able to contribute right away (ie. Turney, Martin, Kjerstad, etc.)

I would not pick LSU to finish higher than Arkansas, but it isn't crazy that LSU should be a really good team just because they lost some key people
LSU is always going to be solid.  That is just the nature of the beast down there.  They return a couple of solid hitters in Duplantis and Watson.  They did lose a lot on that offense which was pretty solid; however, LSU always has a good offense.  The biggest loss for them was losing Eric Walker to injury as he would have been the ace this year as the only returning weekend starter.

While I think Campbell won't be back for the Hogs in 2019, I wouldn't say it is a certainty.  He will be a RS Sophomore so he has some leverage.  I am glad he is back healthy and ready to dominate some SEC teams.

While I am thinking about it, I feel like we should really praise the job that Wes Johnson did with the staff last year.  Not only did he decrease the team ERA from 5.00 in 2016 to 3.61 in 2017, he did it after losing 3 of his top 5 pitchers either before the season or really early in the season in McKinney, Campbell, and Scroggins.  It will be interesting to see how he does if everyone is healthy.

Dr. Starcs

And no matter what kind of team the corn dogs Field this year, they're in our head. Here's hoping this years Hogs can turn the tide so to speak.

thebignasty

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 31, 2017, 06:08:46 pm
LSU is always going to be solid.  That is just the nature of the beast down there.  They return a couple of solid hitters in Duplantis and Watson.  They did lose a lot on that offense which was pretty solid; however, LSU always has a good offense.  The biggest loss for them was losing Eric Walker to injury as he would have been the ace this year as the only returning weekend starter.

While I think Campbell won't be back for the Hogs in 2019, I wouldn't say it is a certainty.  He will be a RS Sophomore so he has some leverage.  I am glad he is back healthy and ready to dominate some SEC teams.

While I am thinking about it, I feel like we should really praise the job that Wes Johnson did with the staff last year.  Not only did he decrease the team ERA from 5.00 in 2016 to 3.61 in 2017, he did it after losing 3 of his top 5 pitchers either before the season or really early in the season in McKinney, Campbell, and Scroggins.  It will be interesting to see how he does if everyone is healthy.

Is Hess back for LSU?  He was great toward the end of the year. 

SPAL

Quote from: thebignasty on January 01, 2018, 01:56:14 pm
Is Hess back for LSU?  He was great toward the end of the year. 

That dude was a freshman last year.

thebignasty

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 01, 2018, 04:14:15 pm

That's what I was thinking.   

At least Baylor Cub Jr will be gone.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 01, 2018, 04:14:15 pm
Seems like he is the favorite to be the Friday night guy for LSU this year; however, he has not shown the ability to maintain mid 90s velocity for more than a couple of innings so he might be more of a 90-92 guy as a starter which makes him more hittable.

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 01, 2018, 07:24:41 pm
Seems like he is the favorite to be the Friday night guy for LSU this year; however, he has not shown the ability to maintain mid 90s velocity for more than a couple of innings so he might be more of a 90-92 guy as a starter which makes him more hittable.

I read an article talking about him being the Friday starter. I didn't think it would be a serious move considering the things you just mentioned.

They lost heir entire weekend staff so maybe that forced the issue.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 31, 2017, 06:08:46 pm

I think it is very unlikely Campbell is back without calling this 2018 season disappointing.  He has none of the issues guys like Knight have that make coming back make sense.  If he is healthy and has 90% of the year we want him to, then it would take something really unusual for him to stay.

I guess he could dominate in college but not really show a third pitch that makes scouts believe he could be a MLB starter and he could return to prove it and jump his draft stock.  But short of that...

dirtdobber

What type of impact will the new hitting coach have on the team?

Kevin

Quote from: dirtdobber on January 02, 2018, 10:24:53 pm
What type of impact will the new hitting coach have on the team?

I think it will be a big positive. Missouri state cold really hit
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jvanhorn

Quote from: popcornhog on December 19, 2017, 09:33:35 pm
I’m excited, too, but I’m enjoying basketball season too much to want to skip to Spring just yet.

Yeah well before you get all gun ho on basketball, maybe you should wait until the conference games begin.  Always a different kind of deal.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Kevin on December 19, 2017, 01:10:13 pm
only problem is, we usually don't do as well when we are ranked high in the preseason.

I hope this year is different

Have they ever been ranked this high pre season?

jvanhorn

Quote from: 1dayinthelifeofporkiepig on December 25, 2017, 10:45:53 am

How do you go about buying tickets to a single game or to a weekend series?  Are they usually sold out or can you just walk up and get a ticket?  When do single game tickets go on sale?   I also see they play the Univeristy of Memphis at Auto Zone in downtown Memphis.  Sure would like to get a ticket to that.

Kevin

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 05, 2018, 01:36:46 am
Have they ever been ranked this high pre season?

Yep preseason number 1 a few years back. And fell apart

SPAL

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 05, 2018, 01:39:38 am
How do you go about buying tickets to a single game or to a weekend series?  Are they usually sold out or can you just walk up and get a ticket?  When do single game tickets go on sale?   I also see they play the Univeristy of Memphis at Auto Zone in downtown Memphis.  Sure would like to get a ticket to that.

I guarantee you can get excellent tickets just walking up. Unless you have several , this is the way I would go. In fact, if you give me notice....I can probably find you good seats.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on January 02, 2018, 05:12:12 pm
I think it is very unlikely Campbell is back without calling this 2018 season disappointing.  He has none of the issues guys like Knight have that make coming back make sense.  If he is healthy and has 90% of the year we want him to, then it would take something really unusual for him to stay.

I guess he could dominate in college but not really show a third pitch that makes scouts believe he could be a MLB starter and he could return to prove it and jump his draft stock.  But short of that...
Yeah, I don't think Campbell will be after 2018 either.  Just saying that he does have some leverage.  While some scouts might doubt Knight's ability to be a starter because he is thin, Campbell is built where you don't have any doubt that he could be a starter at the next level.  I think he will have an excellent year building off the end of 2016 and the summer of 2016.

Wisco Pig

Arkansas is #6 in Perfect Game's preseason Top 25.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14784

The Top 25 includes seven teams from the SEC: Florida, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana State, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State.

The Top 25 also has 7 teams from the ACC (Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, NC State, Louisville, Duke, and Clemson).

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 12, 2018, 05:01:44 pm
Arkansas is #6 in Perfect Game's preseason Top 25.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=14784

The Top 25 includes seven teams from the SEC: Florida, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana State, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State.

The Top 25 also has 7 teams from the ACC (Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, NC State, Louisville, Duke, and Clemson).
Love it!