Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Badger in South Arkansas

Started by CPO Hog, September 18, 2017, 11:28:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CPO Hog

Think I saw a badger between Nashville and DeQueen yesterday. At least I'm pretty sure it was a badger. I pulled up a picture on the www and it looks like what I saw. There was a road kill dillow with a couple buzzards watching a varmint munch on it. As I got closer the buzzards flew (I slowed down because I've had a buzzard puke on my truck before) and the short stocky, greyish hairy critter raised it's head to look toward me, then darted off the road into high grass. It was about the size of a smallish beagle but with shorter legs. Wasn't a possum. It was much lower profile, had a short hairy tail, and moved much quicker. My brother said he saw a badger near Prescott a couple years ago. I though he had lost his mind, but maybe not.

hawgon

Where exactly between Nashville and DeQueen?

There was a documented sighting of a road killed badger on Hwy 41 between Foreman and Haworth, OK ten years or so ago, so it isn't all that farfetched.

But anyway, again, where between Nashville and DeQueen?

CPO Hog

I grew up in the Prescott area and now live in central Ok. I'm not familiar enough with the area to give you the exact location. I looked at google map, and It was in the area of Boatright road west of Nashville on 371. There was a hay meadow that needed cut on the left, tall grass in the ditch.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

Quote from: CPO Hog on September 18, 2017, 12:14:16 pm
I grew up in the Prescott area and now live in central Ok. I'm not familiar enough with the area to give you the exact location. I looked at google map, and It was in the area of Boatright road west of Nashville on 371. There was a hay meadow that needed cut on the left, tall grass in the ditch.

The Menonites probably brought him back as a pet from one of their trips to visit family in the north.

johnny cash

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hawgon

Quote from: sowmonella on September 19, 2017, 08:47:44 pm
Menonites?

There are a ton of them right where he says he saw the badger.

Three and Snout

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/furbearers/

Look under "2017-18 Furbearer Hunting Season Dates".  "Badger, Spotted Skunk (Civet Cat) and Weasel Hunting: Closed"

I assume there must be badgers if there is a season specified (even if to just say it's closed).

kodiakisland

Not a groundhog? Lots of them along the roadways. Did it have a striped head?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PorkRinds

October 16, 2017, 01:12:03 pm #10 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:27:34 pm by PorkRinds
I had what I think was a badger come after me when I came down from a deer stand to pee when I was a kid. A state trooper had been hunting in the same spot a week earlier and swore that he saw it too.

Hogberry Snortcake

Per Wiki, we're right on the edge of their range.  No reason is couldn't be.  Pretty cool.