Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(1) Overall Nova Just Lost to (8) Wisconsin

Started by Drewhog, March 18, 2017, 04:15:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewhog

Maybe this will give the Hogs a confidence boost tomorrow ???  It can be done.  :razorback:

ShadowHawg

The_Iceman

Ironhawg

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2017, 04:20:11 pm
Would we have beat Nova?

I think we could have. Moses would be the best player in the paint in that matchup.

Drewhog

Would we have beat Nova?
As far as match-ups, I haven't dug that deep.  I think we will have to play a near perfect game to win, but stranger things have happened.

Birminghog

Would we have beat Nova?

I'm very fond of Nova, especially on a bagel with a schmear of cream cheese, some onion, and a slice of tomato.

Hootiethehog

Villanova has been my kryptonite for years. I had a love/hate relationship with them and picked them to win most years in the last six. But each time they would be a 1 or 2 and lose in the second round to ruin my bracket.

Oddly enough I got sick of them last year and had them losing in the Final Four. Go figure.

This year I was smart. I had them getting knocked out in the Elite 8, but unfortunately,  the team I had beating them was SMU.

I have one team left in the East bracket (Florida) and I only have them winning their second round game.
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

sickboy

Quote from: Drewhog on March 18, 2017, 04:15:30 pm
Maybe this will give the Hogs a confidence boost tomorrow ???  It can be done.  :razorback:

I don't want to crush dreams, but I don't believe two 8/9 seeds have ever taken down two one seeds in the same tourney that I can recall. Maybe 1985 when 8 seed Won it all?

Hawgphish

4th year in a row that Wisconsin has made the sweet 16.

JONAS

Quote from: sickboy on March 18, 2017, 04:33:25 pm
I don't want to crush dreams, but I don't believe two 8/9 seeds have ever taken down two one seeds in the same tourney that I can recall. Maybe 1985 when 8 seed Won it all?

1985 and 2000

RaisinHog

ChitownHawg

Wisconsin is an experienced Dance team and very salty. Beating NC will take our best A game.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Drewhog

Quote from: sickboy on March 18, 2017, 04:33:25 pm

Dreams aren't crushed.  They have been crushed too many times since the mid-nineties by our basketball team, haha.  I just can't help but think of the swell of enthusiasm for our program if we managed to win.  Ticket sales would spike for next year, recruits would see us take down a legendary program in the Dance, and Hog fans would feel very good about the future of Razorback basketball in general.  One day something good will happen.  We are due for some really fun times in Razorbackland.

sickboy

Hootiethehog

*fingers crossed*

1985 and 2000 and 2017 (after tomorrow)
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

I have degrees from both Arkansas and Wisconsin.  I would be ecstatic if both my teams could topple #1.  I think the odds are stacked against us though.  We'll give it our best shot!  Go Hogs!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

WorfHog

I only had Nova picked to win in my immediate post selection show and chalk brackets.

Still hanging strong with my Last Shot bracket. In fact I'm winning the Hogville Challenge right now and have a Top 2300 bracket according to ESPN.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/group?groupID=1577960

Still pulling hogwood 2 though.

joeyself

As noted above, Wisconsin is an experienced tourney team, and I thought an 8 was too low for them.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

joeyself

Quote from: WorfHog on March 18, 2017, 05:03:50 pm
I only had Nova picked to win in my immediate post selection show and chalk brackets.

Still hanging strong with my Last Shot bracket. In fact I'm winning the Hogville Challenge right now and have a Top 2300 bracket according to ESPN.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/group?groupID=1577960

Still pulling hogwood 2 though.

First two days were kind to the chalk.  I went wild with Dunk City and a couple of other 12-14 seeds.  I did have Wisconsin today in one of my two.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

Atlhogfan1

Wisconsin seemed underseeded at an 8. Guess they showed it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hootiethehog

I thought we were under seeded too.

For some reason, I always saw Wisconsin as a spiritual brother to Arkansas.

Not an overly populous state (they do have Milwaukee and a couple of pro teams though). Even though there are other smaller schools in the state that get attention from time to time, Arkansas and Wisconsin are the bell cows.

We both have red as our primary color, with a mascot you just don't see much. Out of state people call us Arky and them Wisky  (a stretch, but similar).

Our football teams have always been known for strong running games and have been on the verge of greatness (last 30 years) without getting there in a conference that is just ridiculously tough.

In basketball (last 15 years) neither have got much respect, even in above average years.

I'm sure someone could poke holes in each and every one of these points, but I've always thought we have had more in common with Wisconsin than any other school in the nation.

Just my opinion, of course.

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2017, 04:16:39 pm
Bracket busted here.

You had them repeating, too?

I never do that. Thought they really had a chance to do it.

ChicoHog

I had Nova losing in the final game.  As a previous poster said they have under achieved more often than not but they won it all last year.  The tournament is so much different than football.  The best team usually wins in football but not necessarily in basketball. I love the way Wisconsin plays and should know better to bet against them.  they always play well in the tournament it seems.  Smart, efficient basketball.   

threeNout

Quote from: JONAS on March 18, 2017, 04:36:20 pm
1985 and 2000

at that pace, it's two years overdue from happening again, so our odds just increased.  :)

RaisinHog

I had nova losing to Duke in both of my brackets.. I have the hogs winning one and Duke winning one

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JONAS on March 18, 2017, 04:36:20 pm
1985 and 2000

Actually our odds just got better. Looks like it's 2 years past due.:)

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 18, 2017, 05:31:04 pm
You had them repeating, too?

I never do that. Thought they really had a chance to do it.

No but I didn't have them losing this early.

hog.goblin

March 18, 2017, 07:57:36 pm #29 Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:43:10 pm by hog.goblin
Quote from: Hootiethehog on March 18, 2017, 04:59:20 pm
*fingers crossed*

1985 and 2000 and 2017 (after tomorrow)

Completely unrelated, but it blows my mind that 2000 is closer to 1985 than it is to today

joeyself

Quote from: Hootiethehog on March 18, 2017, 05:22:37 pm
I thought we were under seeded too.

For some reason, I always saw Wisconsin as a spiritual brother to Arkansas.

Not an overly populous state (they do have Milwaukee and a couple of pro teams though). Even though there are other smaller schools in the state that get attention from time to time, Arkansas and Wisconsin are the bell cows.

We both have red as our primary color, with a mascot you just don't see much. Out of state people call us Arky and them Wisky  (a stretch, but similar).

Our football teams have always been known for strong running games and have been on the verge of greatness (last 30 years) without getting there in a conference that is just ridiculously tough.

In basketball (last 15 years) neither have got much respect, even in above average years.

I'm sure someone could poke holes in each and every one of these points, but I've always thought we have had more in common with Wisconsin than any other school in the nation.

Just my opinion, of course.

Interesting thoughts, and while I don't agree with all of them, I won't sit here and pick them apart.

Without doing the same type of analysis, I've thought we were similar to Iowa.  Last time I looked, they were one notch ahead of us in population.  I think Wisconsin is quite a bit larger.  Iowa does have two schools in BCS conferences (or whatever they are called these days).  We have the Hogs and the Red (headed stepchild) Wolves.  Neither have a major pro franchise in the big three.

JcS