Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spill the beans!

Started by Mr. Hogback075, May 08, 2006, 11:07:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hogback075

Missed shots/goof-ups/etc...

anybody got any bad/funny/unusual hunting experiences they wanna share?

Arkapigdiesel

I made sweet love to my wife once in the deer stand.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I made sweet love to a deer in my wife's stand.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Mr. Hogback075

i got engaged in june of 2000.  we set the date for sept. 2......dummy me didn't think about opening morning of dove season being that day....

so you say "man, too bad you had to miss that"......nope, hunted that morning, got my limit by 8 am, got em cleaned and in the freezer, and was at the church early.

kinda sucks that every year i have to plan my anniversary around it tho......i mean, i have to plan dove hunting around the anniversary (sorry hunny) (she reads these) LOL.

hey...at least i won't ever forget our anniversary date!

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 08, 2006, 11:13:38 pm
LOL!   notshavin, i didn't know you were a hunter.

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on May 08, 2006, 11:17:21 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 08, 2006, 11:13:38 pm
LOL!   notshavin, i didn't know you were a hunter.
j/k

Actually, I have only hunted squirrel and rabbit.  A lot of fun.
Oh, and I hunted iguana, too.  That is good, eatin' believe it or not.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

pioneerhog

Well 2 years ago I was hunting my favorite stand one evening. It was during the first Muzzeloading season in Oct.I had seen the sign and new there was a big one in that area.

Well I hadn't been sitting there long and I started hearing a deer coming down of this hill. He was going through a buch of thick brush but I was able to get enough looks at him to know he was a BIG buck.

I didn't get excited in the least. I calmly looked down from where he was going and found a place about 10-15 yards wide where I would have an open shot.

Well when he gets to this opening I already have my gun up and the saftey off. I get him in the crosshairs and pull the trigger and NOTHING, just a little thud.

I am sitting there wonder WTH happened. I hurry up and put another cap on it, by this time I am getting excited because this is the biggest damn deer I have ever seen, so I am fumbling with the caps. Well I get another cap on and throw the gun up just in time to see the deers ass go into the woods. He never did some back out into open woods and I never saw him again that year.

I was madder than an old wet hen, I just wanted to throw that gun. The more I sat there the more I worried that it was something wrong with my load. So I get down, still with quite a bit of day light left and go to a gravel quary on this property and fire off that load to make sure nothing was wrong with it and there wasn't

I hunted this deer HARD for the rest of the season. I think there was times he was in the brush and just never would come out where I could see him, there was several times I would have a deer go around me in the brush, I could get him to grunt at me but he still would never come out. I know how these deer in this area travel and I am pretty much the only person that hunts these deer that come by this stand. This deer has yet to be killed IMO. This past season I had trees that I couldn't put both hands around that where rubbed and rubbed hard. There where scraps that I could have laid down in and not touched leaves on any side. I could follow a good scrap line all through the brush but it would stop before he got into the more open woods. I am still yet to see him come out in an opening, I do still have a deer that will stay in the brush and grunt at me. I do think that this is the same deer and I plan on hunting for him again this year. This deer is one of those that with how big he was if it would have been killed it would have been heard about around here and no one in that area has killed a real big one. This guy is definatly a wall hanger.

Mr. Hogback075

i had one like that a few years ago.

we nicknamed him twister, cuz his rack was so big, when he would leave a scrape, we wouldn't just lick and rub the branches above it......he would roll them abound his head. which left everything in a twisted tangled up mess.  this deer was so elusive to me and my brother that we concentrated on him for the rest of the year.  it was a 1 hr. walk into the hollar where he was and a 1hr. walk out.

looking back on it i really didn't enjoy that deer season.  it was more like work.  1 deer all season with no end result.  i could have had a lot more fun hunting all my other spots and for sure killing one or two. 

pioneerhog

Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on May 09, 2006, 08:32:52 am

we nicknamed him twister, cuz his rack was so big, when he would leave a scrape, we wouldn't just lick and rub the branches above it......he would roll them abound his head. which left everything in a twisted tangled up mess.  this deer was so elusive to me and my brother that we concentrated on him for the rest of the year.  it was a 1 hr. walk into the hollar where he was and a 1hr. walk out.

looking back on it i really didn't enjoy that deer season.  it was more like work.  1 deer all season with no end result.  i could have had a lot more fun hunting all my other spots and for sure killing one or two. 

That is pretty much how he does the limbs above him. This place isn't to bad. It is about a 5-8 minute drive to where I get out and about a 3-5 minute walk into my stand. It is hard to believe that there is a deer of this size so close to town. I have seen some others about a mile from here, closer to town, that where big but just not quite like this guy. Since my wife doesn't like deer meat I mainly horn hunt so it doesn't bother me if I just kill one. I usually don't have to much of a problem killing one, it might not be big but it will eat. I have enjoyed hunting him. I know he is there and I think he knows I am there and just likes to screw with me. This year though if the sign is still there I am gonna leave my stand and get into the thick brush where the scraps are. It is pretty thick around my stand but where the scraps and rubs are is a sure enough thicket. I love to hunt the brush though, I do believe that some of the big ones are like this one and never get out it.

Burnt Orange Sucks

I got so excited last year in my stand after seeing a MONSTER buck that I farted so loud he skipped the country! GOOD freakin' job
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

Mr. Hogback075

Quote from: pioneerhog on May 09, 2006, 12:01:57 pm
Quote from: Mr. Hogback075 on May 09, 2006, 08:32:52 am

That is pretty much how he does the limbs above him. This place isn't to bad. It is about a 5-8 minute drive to where I get out and about a 3-5 minute walk into my stand. It is hard to believe that there is a deer of this size so close to town. I have seen some others about a mile from here, closer to town, that where big but just not quite like this guy. Since my wife doesn't like deer meat I mainly horn hunt so it doesn't bother me if I just kill one. I usually don't have to much of a problem killing one, it might not be big but it will eat. I have enjoyed hunting him. I know he is there and I think he knows I am there and just likes to screw with me. This year though if the sign is still there I am gonna leave my stand and get into the thick brush where the scraps are. It is pretty thick around my stand but where the scraps and rubs are is a sure enough thicket. I love to hunt the brush though, I do believe that some of the big ones are like this one and never get out it.
btw, we didn't kill that one...didn't know if i cleared it up or not.  my whole family devours deer meat, so i got "your spending all that time hunting w/ nothing to show for it" from the wife.  plus in that area i couldn't take my son.  so i made a vow from now on to go where i could take him and where i could be productive to at least get the first one bagged....then hunt the monster.

May 09, 2006, 05:25:57 pm #11 Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:28:15 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
 :P

Quote from: Mountainboar on May 09, 2006, 05:30:07 pm
Thanks notshavin...I was trying to figure out how to move it to RTT.
I'm losing my mind for real..I swear it said I was in the RTT.

I don't have many funny hunting stories...

Ugly has a good one.  Everyone on here PM him so he'll put it on here.

pigture perfect

I hope Ugly's story isn't about me. He has a few of those.

One I'll tell you about though, is when I was 16, Many moons ago, I bought a Bluetick coonhound and took up the manly art of coonhunting. I found a couple of older guys to take me. One night, we loaded up the dogs, we had 6 of them. My dog was about 6-7 months old and was pretty clueless on what to do. We drove through some of the thickest woods southern Arkansas has. It took us 45 minutes to get to where we were going after we left the paved road. I'll leave out most of the details except to say, I was really excited when my dog left from our ankles and got on a trail of her own and treed before the pack did. Only problem, she treed a skunk. It was a long way home with 3 big fellows and 5 full grown coondogs in the cab of a truck and 1 stinking gyp in the box.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WestMemphisHogFan

About 20 years ago I decided to take up bow hunting.  I bought a compound bow and started practicing.  I never seemed to get the hang of it, but decided to go out with some of my friends on a deer hunt anyway.  They put me on a stand and guaranteed that I would see some deer.  I hadn't been there very long, when sure enough, two young deer (I do mean YOUNG) came walking up on me. I wasn't aware at the time that one of my friends had just killed their mother, and they were a little disoriented.  I thought this was my moment, so I brought the bow back and let go...arrow #1 went way high.  Arrow #2 went very low.  After arrow number two, the deer were just standing still looking around.  I brought back Arrow #3, and it went low again, Arrow #4 went high, #5 went high again.  Now I was out of arrows.   In the mean time, the two deer started just walking off, so I climbed down from the stand and retrieved one of the arrows that I hand already discharged and made it arrow #6, again high.  Retrieved another arrow, arrow #7 went low.  The deer just turned and looked at me one more time, then walked off into the woods. 

I have never bow hunted again since that day.  I walked to my car, and gave my $700 bow to a young man in our church! 

pioneerhog

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on May 09, 2006, 09:06:11 pm
About 20 years ago I decided to take up bow hunting.  I bought a compound bow and started practicing.  I never seemed to get the hang of it, but decided to go out with some of my friends on a deer hunt anyway.  They put me on a stand and guaranteed that I would see some deer.  I hadn't been there very long, when sure enough, two young deer (I do mean YOUNG) came walking up on me. I wasn't aware at the time that one of my friends had just killed their mother, and they were a little disoriented.  I thought this was my moment, so I brought the bow back and let go...arrow #1 went way high.  Arrow #2 went very low.  After arrow number two, the deer were just standing still looking around.  I brought back Arrow #3, and it went low again, Arrow #4 went high, #5 went high again.  Now I was out of arrows.   In the mean time, the two deer started just walking off, so I climbed down from the stand and retrieved one of the arrows that I hand already discharged and made it arrow #6, again high.  Retrieved another arrow, arrow #7 went low.  The deer just turned and looked at me one more time, then walked off into the woods. 

I have never bow hunted again since that day.  I walked to my car, and gave my $700 bow to a young man in our church! 
Now that is a funny story. I just wish I would have been there so I could have got a good deal on a bow.

Buff

The biggest buck I've ever seen came out of a clear-cut field, walked down a row of trees, and came within 2 steps of being far enough in the open and in my crosshairs.  For some reason, he decided to turn back and make his way back to where he came from.  I followed him in my scope until he came to a spot where I had a window through the branches that was about the size of my head.  I let the shot go, and apparently the bullet nicked a branch and went just a tick high.  I cussed for awhile before I went to look for blood...........none.  Never saw that deer again.  Bad thing is a 6 and an 8 point had walked by earlier in the day and I let them go because I'd seen some big-ass rubs all around the area.

B-Sticks

A few years ago I decided the night before season opener to buy a new muzzle loader...little did I know the gun was cursed !

1) I didn't have time to shoot it since I bought it the night before so I took it straight to the woods (dumb...I know) I figured the open sights couldn't be that far off.....I was wrong. I missed two that morning and went to the range and found that I was shooting about 2 feet in front of the deer.

2) Next trip out I was very hung over and was using the ball starter to load and it slipped off and broke the front sights right off the gun.

3) After a very long walk up the steep hill, I climb up into my tree lounge, got a settled it, pulled up my gun to see my range and realize the rear sights were gone !!

Needless to say, I went out and bought a new gun !

B-Sticks

The first deer I killed could have made for a classic video. About 15 yrs ago I shot a little doe. I must have broke her back cause she was crawling away on her front legs. My dad always told me to wait for an hour....so I waited like 20 seconds ( first deer and my heart was pounding )!!

Being the genius I am, I left my gun in the stand and went after her. I soon realized she was crawling away too fast and I would have to take matters into my own hands...I didn't have time to go back for my gun.

I SWEAR THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE

I run as fast as I can and tackle the doe. I then pull out my pocket knife and try to cut her throat.....my knife was not long enough ! I then try to break her neck....I cannot begin to explain the noises she was making !! I give up and start punching her in the head as hard as can. I hear my buddy in the background laughing his head off. He calmly walks up and finished the job with his hunting knife.

I was not letting my first one get away......I am sure PETA would have loved that !!

pioneerhog

Quote from: B-Sticks on May 10, 2006, 04:41:41 pm
The first deer I killed could have made for a classic video. About 15 yrs ago I shot a little doe. I must have broke her back cause she was crawling away on her front legs. My dad always told me to wait for an hour....so I waited like 20 seconds ( first deer and my heart was pounding )!!

Being the genius I am, I left my gun in the stand and went after her. I soon realized she was crawling away too fast and I would have to take matters into my own hands...I didn't have time to go back for my gun.

I SWEAR THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE

I run as fast as I can and tackle the doe. I then pull out my pocket knife and try to cut her throat.....my knife was not long enough ! I then try to break her neck....I cannot begin to explain the noises she was making !! I give up and start punching her in the head as hard as can. I hear my buddy in the background laughing his head off. He calmly walks up and finished the job with his hunting knife.

I was not letting my first one get away......I am sure PETA would have loved that !!
That one has got to be the funniest so far.

I will tell you a story similar to this one that happened to a woman I know. She was out hunting and has a nice buck walk up. Well like anyone would do she shots it, gets a good shot even. She waits a while before getting down and tracking it. When she finally gets to it it is laying the motionless, she assumes it is dead. She is there looking at it's rack, you know moving it's head around, and this deer comes alive. She said she didn't know what to do so she grabs it's horns and jumps on it's back. This deer is going crazy, trying everything it can to get her off. She is finally able to get her knife out and cuts its throat, all while this deer is bucking like the best bull the PBR has.

WestMemphisHogFan

LOL B-sticks!  That is HILARIOUS!

B-Sticks

I wouldn't tell that story unless I had a witness to back me up ! It is even funnier to hear his side of the story. Knowing that I had never killed a deer, he was just walking over to see if I needed help !! He got more than he bargained for !!

Take care-

B-Sticks

Just thought of another.....

One morning in the duck blind, a buddy had to run back into town to eat lunch with some family. While he was gone, we took the liberty of "opening up" one of his shells and dumped out all the powder and pellets and replaced them with ash from the charcoal bucket. Once he returned we started working a group of ducks. He was the only one to pull up his gun as the ducks were sailing in because we were all laughing so hard.

I am sure you can guess how the story ended...he was pretty hot for a while and we still kid him about it to this day !!

toshortrock

yes,me and my buddy were fishing in a bass tournament on the white river,after drinking all day and catching quite a few bass we headed back to the landing,as for me,drinking all day and its around 95 degrees i guess u can say i was drunk,as we were going up river,the ice chest i was sitting on started sliding in the boat,when it slid into the side,i flipped out of the boat and into the river,well,my buddy picked me up,he was laughing so hard  as we were going up the river again,he ran into a sand bar,the motor flipped up off the boat,skidded across the top of the water and then sanked,,i have lots of ol stories back in the good ol days,,,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

pigture perfect

May 11, 2006, 12:44:51 am #24 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:48:00 am by pigture perfect
I just posted on another thread about my wife and it reminded me of our first real hunt together.

I married a city girl (Kansas City). Her dad used to goose and Pheasant hunt but that was when she was really young. She had never learned to shoot. When we married (15 years this month) I wanted her to know how to defend herself when I wasn't home. I taught her about every gun I owned and what shells went with what gun. When deer season rolled around, she wanted to try them out.

I didn't have nearly as many guns back then. Just the standards .22 rifle and pistol, 20 Gg , 12 Gg, 44 mag. pistol and a deer rifle. The deer rifle was an old sporterized 7.7 jap. Short stocked and short barreled. Kicked like a horse.

I took her to the range and shot the 22's and she like it. When we went hunting she took the 12 Gg with slugs and I had the 7.7. After huntn the morning sitting back to back, I suggested that she try the shotgun to see what it was like. The recoil and noise startled her and almost brought tears to her eyes. I handed her my 7.7. He asked if it was going to be as loud. I told her about the same. I didn't tell her it was going to kick harder.

After the shot, she threw the gun at me (I mean it zinged by my head and landed in the trail behind me) and stormed out of the woods and went to the car. I could not get her to go with me for another 10 years. She only went after my little nephew killed a deer with an SKS, and she used his gun.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WestMemphisHogFan

pigture, a great story.  You deserved the gun to hit you in the head as in zinged by you.   ;D

mountainhog

My buddy has a "tree house" for a stand that has windows 2 chairs and a small couch ,  every year we hunt together there.  It sits on a fence row that is clearcut about 30 yrds wide for 500 yds either direction.  After we moved the stand to that location , we failed to sight in our guns for really long range shooting.  So wouldnt you know it the big one walks out about 300 yds. and stops right in the middle of the clearcut and its on my buddy's side .  he shoots and misses,  panic starts to set in thinking he is gonna jump the fence and be gone , he fires another shot quickly and misses again.  I said let me give it a try , so i shoot and miss.  then he shoots and misses again, well he is out of bullets and the panic is really setting in , so i shoot my last two shots and of course miss. the whole time the deer is just standing there broadside, not moving . He starts to reload his gun and drops the bullets all over the floor.  By the time he gets his gun loaded the deer finally spooks and runs down the hill and jumps the fence.  He looks like to me from 300 yds that he was a main frame perfect 12 pt. with lots of mass.   I finally busted out laughing, and couldnt quit . My buddy , who is older (63) im 45, looks at me and says  what the hell is so funny ***.  I said the well the 2 of us shooting 8 shots in about 8 sec's and you dropping all those shells in the floor, we looked like a cluster u know what.  He didnt see the humor in it like i did but its a day i will never forget!   this deer was bigger in mass and height and width than the one i have posted in picture section , A true once in a lifetime buck. We didnt see him anymore needless to say!

mountainhog

I have one more story, actually i have a bunch of them.  While bowhunting one morning before work about 3 yrs ago,  Gasshogg ( a fellow poster) had a six pt. with a average rack walk up on him, he shot and missed at 25 yds.  After he arrives at work , i ask him if he had any luck? He said he shot a whitetail, and its in the back of the truck.  So i go out and look and there is no deer ,  but there is half of a white  tail  laying there and apparently the deer wheeled and turned just when he released the arrow and it sure enough cut off his tail. Now that was just the beginning. 
When rifle season opened we decided to try to film a hunt with gasshogg doing the camera duties .  We had a buck walk right up on us and i got a shot with rifle at about 20 steps and gasshogg got all of it on film .  when we walked up to the dead deer , you guessed it , only half of a tail. So we named that deer ole bob tail.  We do have proof of this on video , or i wouldnt even tell the story!