Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite fish to fish for

Started by hogfan064, May 05, 2006, 09:10:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

For me it has to be the crappie.  They put up a fight and if you can get on a bed of them its lots of fun.  Plus, they taste great. 

hawgsinspace

Large and Small mouth bass.

Although, nothing beats panfishing with a fly rod...
"What more is necessary to make us a wise and happy people? Still one thing more, fellow citizens--a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities."

Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address (1801)

holman24

I love to Catfish because all you have to do is throw out your bait and sit back and drink until one come along.

Buff

i like largemouth fishing, crappie are a close second.  flyfishing for trout is fun, but i just don't get to do it much.  catfishing is only fun to me when im with some friends.

pioneerhog

My fav is wade fishing for Brownies, although crappie comes in second in my book.

chillinhoggie

I prefer the ones that actually take my bait and hook. I don't care what kind. ;)

pioneerhog

Quote from: chillinhoggie on May 05, 2006, 03:57:39 pm
I prefer the ones that actually take my bait and hook. I don't care what kind. ;)
So in otherwords, whatever is biteing. That is kinda the way I am. I don't care what I am fishing for as long as they are biting.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Mountainboar on May 05, 2006, 01:38:46 pm
Nothing better than floating a Trout river in my kayak.  Lot's of fun with small mouths and stripers, too.
I am considering getting a kayak for smallmouth fishing, but alot of people say to just get a canoe. I am think since I go by myself alot that a kayak will be easier to handle with it being just me. What are your views.

holman24

A canoe can be a little bit much to handle by youself at times I own both because I have friend that go with me but my kyayk is more fun and easier to handle. the only draw back to a kyayk is if you take a lot of tackle or if you catch alot of fish you intend to keep.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 05, 2006, 09:10:07 am
For me it has to be the crappie.  They put up a fight and if you can get on a bed of them its lots of fun.  Plus, they taste great. 

I completely agree.....

Porquemada

A Zebco 33, nightcrawlers, a bobber, and brim.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Porquemada on May 05, 2006, 04:54:12 pm

Screw the nightcrawlers....although a nice bait....For bream, a tube of crickets....

Your stringer will be full.

Porquemada

Quote from: WindyCityHog on May 05, 2006, 04:58:50 pm

Screw the nightcrawlers....although a nice bait....For bream, a tube of crickets....

You are correct, but the nightcrawlers are free.

hogfan064

Quote from: Porquemada on May 05, 2006, 05:02:36 pm
Quote from: WindyCityHog on May 05, 2006, 04:58:50 pm

You are correct, but the nightcrawlers are free.

I've never used nightcrawlers for Brim.  I've always used wigglers. They are more active and small enough for a brims mouth.   

Cresthog

Trout, beautiful rainbows and browns.

I love to fly fish, its the only way to go once you learn the art.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Cresthog on May 07, 2006, 12:05:03 pm

One thing I have never done is fly fish. It is something that I do want to learn someday.

stronguard

Hybrids in early spring when the schools start to form......nothing better than catching 100 fish a day and the SMALLEST one is 5 lbs.

My avatar comes in a close second though.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

ConwayHog

Largemouth, Smallmouth, Spotted Bass.  If they can't be weighed in during a bass tournament, I don't want to catch them.

Saltwater is a another ballgame....

WindyCityHog

Conway....

You're missing out on SO much.

Bass fishing is wonderful...

Catfishing on the river at night....
Wading a stream to chase the Rainbow, German Brown, and Brookies.
A tube of crickets, a cane pole, and some cypress trees for Bream....
White Bass fishing in the spring...
Trolling on the Great Lakes for salmon and Lakers...
Walleye fishing with those nasty leeches....

Bass fishing is great....but it ain't the end all.

thahawg

Juboar

Salt water fishing is the  greatest.
Whether I'm bottom fishing for Snapper, Trigger fish and Grouper or trolling for for Billfish, Kings, Dorado and Tuna.

Nothing beats fresh Tuna sushi right out of the ocean.

I need to hit a lottery so I can go more than once a year...... otherwise my grandmas pond for cats and large mouths.   

ConwayHog

Quote from: WindyCityHog on May 08, 2006, 12:11:10 am
Bass fishing is great....but it ain't the end all.

It is for me. ;D

Saltwater is a close rival.  I've fly-fished and even caught a 25.5" Rainbow my first time.  It was fun because it was a new challenge but its still not bass-fishing.  We've caught 75 white bass in one day at Lake Eufaula when they were hitting in the spring.  It still wasn't bass fishing to me.  The only thing I really like other than bass fishing is saltwater.  If I'm lucky I make it down to the gulf two times a year.  Sometimes, I can't get down there at all.  Saltwater fishing is just absolutely awesome though. 

I'm not trying to put down other types of fishing, but nothing does it for me like bass fishing.

hogfan064

I enjoy fishing the channels around Cherry Grove, SC also(near Myrtle Beach).  There are many houses you can rent for a week with docks on the channel.  Very relaxing to just sit on the dock and catch some flounder and spots

pigture perfect

I'll go with the unusual. I love catching anything that bites, but what do you do when they don't have an appetite. SNAGGING SPOONBILLS. If you've never done it, you need to try. It's the next best thing to saltwater.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Golfer

I love crappie fishing in the spring during the spawn. I wade and fish the buck brush on Blue Mountain Lake in Logan County. I had the best spring that I will ever have.  Caught a limit (20) everyday but two out of about 20 trips. Great fun.

Snort and Squeal

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 08, 2006, 09:40:18 pm
I'll go with the unusual. I love catching anything that bites, but what do you do when they don't have an appetite. SNAGGING SPOONBILLS. If you've never done it, you need to try. It's the next best thing to saltwater.

isn't that illegal now?  great fun however
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

Mr. Hogback075

i like fishing for carp and drum below the dam.  not because i like them, but it's fun to watch the foreigners take em off the hook for you if you let them keep it. LOL

Snort and Squeal

Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

LA HAWG

RaZoRtUsK

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Snort and Squeal on May 08, 2006, 11:18:49 pm
Quote from: pigture perfect on May 08, 2006, 09:40:18 pm

isn't that illegal now?  great fun however
Nope! Limit is two, but when they weight about 40lbs apiece it's worth the time going. It takes a while to get them in. You also alternate with the net man and the motor man that is six and quite big enough for a fish fry.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Burnt Orange Sucks

TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

tophawg19

sun fish, bream , red ear etc. with ultra- light equipment . if they came as big as a bass they would climb in the boat and throw you out.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 09, 2006, 04:54:48 pm
sun fish, bream , red ear etc. with ultra- light equipment . if they came as big as a bass they would climb in the boat and throw you out.
Quote from: tophawg19 on May 09, 2006, 04:54:48 pm
Speaking my language!!!!!
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Trout, any species, on the smallest ultra-light rod and reel I can find.

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

pokeydaman

smallmouth from any of the streams in Arkansas!! whether is be wading or from my canoe, i absolutely love it!! if u havent caught a smallie, u have no idea!! best fighting fish out there...

pioneerhog

Quote from: pokeydaman on May 12, 2006, 11:17:41 am
smallmouth from any of the streams in Arkansas!! whether is be wading or from my canoe, i absolutely love it!! if u havent caught a smallie, u have no idea!! best fighting fish out there...
Seems to me that they fight a little better when the come out of a stream than what they do when they come out of some of these lakes. Several years ago I caught somewhere around a 3-4 pounder out of Greers and I think that the small ones that come out of the streams fight harder than that one did. Other than a little night fishing for Cats most of my fishing will probably be wading for brownies.

Landonhog

Quote from: pioneerhog on May 07, 2006, 06:53:02 pm
Quote from: Cresthog on May 07, 2006, 12:05:03 pm

One thing I have never done is fly fish. It is something that I do want to learn someday.

Pioneer,
Once you hook one of those brownies in the bottom of a rapid you'll be hooked!!!  Smallies on the fly is a great experience!

Landonhog

May 13, 2006, 02:07:28 pm #38 Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 02:14:33 pm by Landonhog
Smallmouth on the fly! 

This one was on a deer hair plug* in Canada, but man those stream raised smallmouth fight harder!

*This one...