Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL 2011-12 Hunting contest

Started by SultanofSwine, September 29, 2011, 09:54:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SultanofSwine

September 29, 2011, 09:54:50 am Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:14:31 am by SultanofSwine
DO NOT SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD. THIS THREAD IS FOR POSTING KILLS ONLY!!!

The Rules

Pen raised deer and mounts do not count !!!

Picture of deer with tackle must be presented to this thread with tag (you can blot out personal info)

Limit six, per hunter,no more than two legal bucks, no culling

Deer from any state will be allowed, as long as it is a non-guided hunt.

The Points

deer = 5 points each

points = 1 point per each (no stickers, gotta be a legit point)

spread = .5 points per inch of spread round to the nearest inch

Traditional Bow Kill  = 5 bonus points

Compound Bow Kill  = 4 bonus points

Crossbow Kill          = 3 bonus points

Muzzloader Kill        = 2 bonus points

Handgun kill            = 1 bonus point

No extra points for Modern Gun.

POTLUCK Rules

All non-whitetail big game will count as 5 points. Wild hogs weighing more than 30 pounds will be considered big game. Hogs under 30 will be small game. There is no limit on the number of hogs, all will count.

Each species of small game will count as 1 point including waterfowl. Each team member will be able to count each species, ie: 4 team memebers each kill a mallard, the team will receive 4 points. Only animals legally harvested will count...DONT BE SHOOTING STUFF YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOOT!

TEAMS:

Got dat Wood - 33 Points
Albert Einswine/Sultan of Swine/Hogcoots/Hawgon
Deer
Sultan - doe - 9 pts
Sultan - doe - 10pts
hogcoots - doe - 5 pts
Potluck
Sultan - hog - 5 pts
Sultan - mallard, woody, teal, gadwall - 4 pts

Deer Ninjas - 22 Points
Coondog Hog/PorkerOinker/Geoff Hog/adave
Deer
Coondog Hog - buck - 22
Potluck

Hoggycat/TurboL/BlakeHOGfanatic/purplehog44 - 70 Points
Deer
BlakeHOGfanatic - buck - 32 points
TurboL - 2 doe - 10 pts
TurboL - buck - 17pts
Potluck
TurboL - coyote - 1 point
TurboL - elk - 5 pts
TurboL - Black Buck - 5 pts

ArchitectHog/RedRiver Hog/ Deshahawg/VBRazorback - 7 Points
Deer
Desha - doe - 7 pts
Potluck

FlyingRzrbkAF/Rockhawg/twistitup/Huntnhog - 29 Points
Deer
Hutnhog - doe - 9pts
Rockhawg - doe - 8pts
Huntnhog - doe - 7pts

Potluck
Huntnhog - coyote - 5 pt

Huntinhog/KristiandBilly/V.V. Hawg/Tusk21 - 14 Points
Deer
Tusk21 - doe - 9pts
Potluck
Huntinhog - hog - 5 pts

Boar/Kodiak/JABhawg/clutch - 18 Points
Deer
Boar - buck - 8pts
Potluck
Kodiak - pronghorn - 5pts
Kodiak - coyote - 5 pts

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

SultanofSwine

Rockhawg

That's getting the season started the right way! Good work Boar, congratulations on a nice buck.

HuntnHog

Doe I shot Saturday evening.  ;D

5 pts for deer
4 pts for compound bow kill.

SultanofSwine

Boar, we can put you on a team but my call would be that deer wouldnt count. It wouldnt be fair to the others who signed up ahead of time to let someone in after they killed a nice buck. I wouldnt be opposed to counting it as an antlerless deer though. Let me know if you still want in.

Rockhawg

Nice Doe HuntnHog ! With the one i got this morning tha should get the Team up to 17 pts.

deshahawg

October 05, 2011, 07:27:18 pm #7 Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:34:50 pm by deshahawg
I may be a bad teammate. I don't shoot does because we have so few deer and only wall hangers. I will do some squirrel and coyote hunting soon.

Do crows count as small game? I also hunt pheasants do these count? I'll be headed to Kansas pheasant hunting in November most likely.

deshahawg

Did you see my buck from last year? I'll post a pic.

deshahawg

This is last years buck. I should post it for this year!

SultanofSwine

Quote from: deshahawg on October 05, 2011, 07:27:18 pm
I may be a bad teammate. I don't shoot does because we have so few deer and only wall hangers. I will do some squirrel and coyote hunting soon.

Do crows count as small game? I also hunt pheasants do these count? I'll be headed to Kansas pheasant hunting in November most likely.

crows, pheasant, quail and late season dove will all count too. Remember, it is points for the species, not how many of them you kill.

SultanofSwine

I added Boar and Kodiak as the next team. I gave Boar credit for his buck but treated it as a doe since his lazy arse didnt sign up on time. Kodiak was supposed to be on the list but my lazy arse failed to get him on there.

If anyone has a problem with counting Boars deer, get off your lazy arse and go kill something.

Tusk21

October 06, 2011, 01:31:15 pm #12 Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:41:17 pm by Tusk21
Doe killed on October 5th, 2011 at 5:30ish pm in Zone 1. Deer was shot with a PSE Bow Madness (63lb draw), Carbon Express Speed Freak, and NAP HELLRAZOR (100gr). Shot the deer at about 8 yards, she ran maybe thirty yards and dropped. I thought about stabbing her with my SOG, but didn't know if we would get points for a knife kill  :)

5 Points - Doe
4 Points - Compound Bow

I forgot to take a picture of the deer with my bow...

SultanofSwine

SultanofSwine

Quote from: JABhawg on October 11, 2011, 01:58:31 pm
Iif Boar and Kodiak don't mind, I'd like to be added on a team. I haven't killed anything but time.

You're added.

deshahawg

My team is getting smoked. I'm gonna at least go out and shoot a squirrel or something to get us on the board.

clutch

If it's not too late, add me to a team. I haven't killed anything yet. Haven't had time to get in the woods at all. Going out tomorrow morning for the first hunt.

HuntnHog

Quote from: JABhawg on October 15, 2011, 02:16:31 pm
Is that a Mathews FX your hunting with?

Yes it is.  I believe it's about 12 years old now.  Still gets the job done.

HuntnHog

Quote from: Rockhawg on October 05, 2011, 01:18:15 pm
Nice Doe HuntnHog ! With the one i got this morning tha should get the Team up to 17 pts.
Congrats and nice job Rockhawg!

HoggyCat

Quote from: deshahawg on October 05, 2011, 08:51:25 pm

This is last years buck. I should post it for this year!

You always hunt in "town" clothes? I usually try to blend in with my surroundings......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

SultanofSwine

clutch, you are added.

Pics and story on my doe to follow. Gotta download pics.

SultanofSwine

So far this season, I have had the frustrating good fortune of having a lot of small bucks in close and wide open. The does have not wanted to cooperate as well. The ones I have had close never presented a shot until this weekend. Oh I cheated too. The guys I hunt with have been after me to carry my compound so I did for one sit and as luck would have it, that's when my shot came.

Anywho, here's some shots from my season so far all taken with my phone.

A little 6 pt

A little 4 pt

And my doe, she was real close as you can tell by the entry hole

hogcoots

Got Dat Wood on the board.  Nice doe.  Pile 'em up out there Sultan.  Someone has to take up my slack.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogcoots on October 17, 2011, 05:42:55 pm
Got Dat Wood on the board.  Nice doe.  Pile 'em up out there Sultan.  Someone has to take up my slack.

I heard that!  Actually, this evening I could've loosed an arrow on a slick at the edge of my comfort zone but the location I was hunting it would've been absolute murder to get it out to the road and I was resolved to only take a shot if I had an exceptional specimen present itself.  As it was I saw 6 does and year and half old 6 pointer who was harassing them.  My best day on the stand this season.  When they finally bring all this corn down it'll make my life a lot easier.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

deshahawg

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 16, 2011, 10:12:28 pm
You always hunt in "town" clothes? I usually try to blend in with my surroundings......

I normally put camp on over my "town" clothes!

adave

Why don't some of you gut your deer immediatly? Not trying to be a prick, just always like to get them guts out asap, especially when its warm.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: adave on October 18, 2011, 07:33:52 pm
Why don't some of you gut your deer immediatly? Not trying to be a prick, just always like to get them guts out asap, especially when its warm.

For me it just isn't that big of a deal.  It's not like the meat is gonna spoil because the innards are still in the body cavity.  I'd rather get the animal back to the house where I can hang it, drop the innards in a bucket and give it a good hosing out rather than in the woods where it'll get leaves and trash in the cavity.

adave

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 18, 2011, 07:58:05 pm

For me it just isn't that big of a deal.  It's not like the meat is gonna spoil because the innards are still in the body cavity.  I'd rather get the animal back to the house where I can hang it, drop the innards in a bucket and give it a good hosing out rather than in the woods where it'll get leaves and trash in the cavity.

Yeah, that is a good way to do it.

Its just one of those things I was taught and do. Guess it really doesn't matter much. I've kept deer that set overnight and they were fine, although its always been cold.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten one so far, Nice job!

hogcoots

I feel a public apology to team Got Dat Wood is in order.  Yesterday was opening day of modern firearms season in Georgia.  Friday night as my son and I were loading the jeep, I opted to carry my new AR15 instead of my recurve.  I have not shot anything with the AR and was really curious as to its effects.  I equipped the AR with an EOTech holograph sight (no magnification) so I needed the deer in close.  Here is where the apology comes into play.  Beginning at 8 a.m. through 10:45 a.m., I had 14 does in easy gun range (50 yards or less).  I had three within 5 steps of my stand.  The entire time I really wished that I had my recurve with me instead of the AR and didn't pull the trigger on anything.  I could have put some points on the board for the team and help us get to the "grand prize" of the hunting contest this year.  I may have lost my killer instinct.  I apologize.

SultanofSwine

An apology is silly. Sounds like you had a really fun hunt. Get back out there and whack something.

kodiakisland

October 23, 2011, 09:08:44 pm #30 Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:21:40 pm by kodiakisland
Quote from: adave on October 18, 2011, 07:33:52 pm

Unless I'm taking the rib bones, I don't gut anything.  You can completely quarter an animal and remove all meat except ribs in less than an hour.  I guess I've done so many backpack hunts where the animal has to be packed out on your back that I don't even consider bringing the whole animal home.  Takes less than an hour to completely have all meat in the backpack or cooler, so the meat actually cools quicker than it would if I took the time to gut and take the carcass somewhere to hang.  Plus, I don't get guts on me or the meat.

This method is pretty common out west and in Canada/Alaska but rarely seen in southern states that required the animal to be taken to a check station.  Some animals in some states do require taking the rib cage, so in those cases I do gut.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Coondog Hog

Got an 8 pt for the Deer Ninja's this evening with my smoke pole.  Not a biggun, but my 7 yr old son and I have been going for 3 years and this is the first legal buck we have had walk in front of us while he was out there. He said choot it so I obliged.  We had a great evening.  Deer is at the processor when he gets done I'll tally up the spread and the score.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

deshahawg

This is my kill with a muzzleloader. I shot this only to get our team on the board.

SultanofSwine

I killed a little doe with my recurve over the weekend. Forgot to take a pic but the check number is 1802.

ArchitectHog

Quote from: deshahawg on October 24, 2011, 06:34:00 pm

This is my kill with a muzzleloader. I shot this only to get our team on the board.

Nice work.  I'll get us some more points on the board this weekend hopefully.  It'll be my first chance to get in the woods.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

Albert Einswine

Shot a slick yesterday evening.  It was about a 25 to 30 yard shot measuring from the stand but it was compounded by me being 21 feet up my stand on top of a shelf ridge and her being in the bottom of the draw.  While the shot was perfectly on target, she bolted forward just before impact and I hit her back in the liver area. Just my luck, the skies opened up in a downpour 2 mins after the shot.  Good blood for 150 yards and then nothing. Looked for hours, but had to break off. Be looking after work.

HuntinHog

Hope you find her.  Two guys at work have had to do break off for the night, the coyotes had their does stripped to the bone before they were able to find them the next day.  The yotes seem particularly hungry this year.

Albert Einswine

Yeah, I won't be surprised if that's the case.  There's 3 different packs at a minimum within a mile of the house.  Can hear them all going off at night on a regular basis.

SultanofSwine

HuntnHog

7 more points.  Slickhead I shot this past Sunday with muzzleloader.

Can post pics of tag later if needed.

hogcoots

5 points for team Got Dat Wood.  Put a big doe down this morning with my AR15.  Pictures will follow as soon as I figure out how to get them from cell phone to the forum.

hogcoots

I hope this works.  The picture of the tag is worthless as in GA you really don't tag anything.  It is a small line on the license that you simply put the month and day of the harvest.  You don't turn it in or anything.  If you look closely at the mag well of the AR15 you will notice that my avatar has been etched on the gun.  Hopefully, that is acceptable proof.

BlakeHOGfanatic

I got one to put in here.  Got him yesterday evening about 4:45, Came out at 50 yrds in some thick stuff and I had to shoot quick.  Glad he was that close cause I got pretty shook up, I knew he was a pretty good one and I guess that fever got me.  Mainframe 9 pt with 17 scorable pts cause of kickers all over the front and back of his bases and is 20.5 outside.  My best deer to date.

turboL

Does a coyote count for something?  Cause I sure did hammer one this morning from 150

HuntinHog

Quote from: turboL on November 16, 2011, 08:51:13 am
Does a coyote count for something?  Cause I sure did hammer one this morning from 150

I also need a ruling on a hog.  I suggest one point per pound.  GAME OVER.

Albert Einswine

Well, my season has taken a turn for the worst.  Lost all my local land access due to good ol' boy politics.  It's tough being an outsider 600 miles from home.  I have one tenuous connection on a nice piece of property an hour drive from where I live, but it isn't optimal.  Guess I should have lunged one of the many smaller bucks I let walk earlier at slam dunk range...

tophawg19

blake i'm not sure you can count that moose. nice one dude. that one would rattle anyone who has a heart and pulse
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

SultanofSwine

Hog and coyote both count for potluck. Pics would be good.

SultanofSwine

Blake - can we get some closer shots to verify the 17 scoreable? also need inside spread not outside.

Awesome deer congrats!!

BlakeHOGfanatic

Sultan wish I could, the deer is already at the taxidermist.  My buddy said he has got one done in a month before so if it is done by the time the contest is over I will.  He is 18 1/2 inside, I had him scored to put in a contest and he did have 17 over an inch, but you can count him as whatever you feel.