Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indulge me for a couple of minutes regarding the USC game

Started by HogInMemphis, August 23, 2005, 12:38:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

USC could have a significant step down on defense, but their offense is scary.  If we don't get to the QB we're toast.  They don't need sophisticated play calling, just spread it out and give it to the playmakers.  Reggie Bush is better than any back we've seen in years.  They recruit a ridiculous number of big-fast receivers, it's not fair.

USC may not have gone undefeated the season before, but they were good enough to be co-champs.  Who cares if they lost a game?  They had all the weight on them last year and still went 13-0.
[CENSORED]!

HighOnHogs

August 23, 2005, 06:52:16 pm #51 Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:54:36 pm by HighOnHogs
Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 04:17:41 pmI hope I don't have to tell you what I am "really saying". If you can read, you should know what I said. I don't need to say it twice. You're offer is stupid, thus I will not be taking it.

Sorry Mark. I have to do this. Don't you mean "Your"?   :P

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HoopHog on August 23, 2005, 05:23:40 pm
Everyone talks about how Vandy plays tough early in the season.  What a bunch of crap!  They play tough AND still lose AT HOME!  Look at how tough they play on the road -- even early in the season.  The Commodores went 0-5 on the road last season.  Season before that, the Commodores went 0-4 on the road (to finish 2-9).  2002, Vandy racked up a 0-8 conference record, 0-5 on the road.  In 2001, the Commodores enjoyed their last road win -- against a non-conference foe.

I think The Citadel had never beaten an SEC school before they won AT Fayetteville.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 23, 2005, 06:30:07 pm

Will we beat USC?  No one knows.  If anything the USC game helps the Hogs out the rest of the season.  They will be the toughest team on our schedule and it will teach the players a lot.  If it doesn't then we have bigger problems.

I know - we won't.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 02:18:02 pm
Quote from: HighOnHogs on August 23, 2005, 01:52:25 pm
Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

Yes, I certainly did predict that vs. Texas in Austin. I also predicted a shitstomping by Ga in the SECCG a few years ago as well as a shitstomping by LSU in LR last year - nailed both of those.  Easy come, easy go.

You predict blowouts against just about every good team we play. You make enough predictions like that, and you're bound to get a couple right.

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2005, 06:51:04 pm
USC could have a significant step down on defense, but their offense is scary. If we don't get to the QB we're toast. They don't need sophisticated play calling, just spread it out and give it to the playmakers. Reggie Bush is better than any back we've seen in years. They recruit a ridiculous number of big-fast receivers, it's not fair.

USC may not have gone undefeated the season before, but they were good enough to be co-champs. Who cares if they lost a game? They had all the weight on them last year and still went 13-0.

I think OU had more of the weight on them last year than USC did.  All I saw on tv was Adrian and OU and how they were going to win it all.  They didn't.  Bob didn't handle it well.  That's why I believe the media will turn on Stoops if he loses some games this season simply because he was arrogant and publicly said ESPN has an SEC bias. That made many in the media extremely mad.

USC may look loaded but Carroll had to replace some key coaches, and Leinart wasn't healthy enough to go to the NFL.  This isn't a post to proclaim Arkansas' victory over USC, it's more about why I feel they won't be the same team they were the last two years.  Simply because everyone expects them to and lately teams haven't lived up to the pre-season hype.

Oh, and Arkansas beats USC in LA. ;)  :razorback:

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 07:10:40 pm

Will we beat USC?  No one knows.  If anything the USC game helps the Hogs out the rest of the season.  They will be the toughest team on our schedule and it will teach the players a lot.  If it doesn't then we have bigger problems.

I know - we won't.

No you don't. You will on Sept 17th or 18th. This is college football and weird stuff happens. Do i think we'll beat USC? Heck no. But you still dont know until they kick it off. That's why they play the games.

WilsonHog

I see one of two scenarios playing out.

(1) Oklahoma (or, if you prefer a Razorback game as an example, the SECCG against Georgia). USC comes out fast, and by the time we get our bearings the Trojans are up by something like 24-3 and the train is rolling downhill fast.

(2) We play lights out defensively for a quarter or so, maybe even a half, and trail by 14-3 or so. By the middle of the third quarter, our defense is worn out from being on the field for so long, and we wind up on the wrong end of a 31-3 game.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 23, 2005, 07:39:08 pm

(1) Oklahoma (or, if you prefer a Razorback game as an example, the SECCG against Georgia). USC comes out fast, and by the time we get our bearings the Trojans are up by something like 24-3 and the train is rolling downhill fast.

(2) We play lights out defensively for a quarter or so, maybe even a half, and trail by 14-3 or so. By the middle of the third quarter, our defense is worn out from being on the field for so long, and we wind up on the wrong end of a 31-3 game.

That sounds about right.  Either way, a severe butt-whipping will take place.  I prefer scenario #1 and will bet accordingly. 

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on August 23, 2005, 07:21:51 pm
Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

Yes, I certainly did predict that vs. Texas in Austin. I also predicted a shitstomping by Ga in the SECCG a few years ago as well as a shitstomping by LSU in LR last year - nailed both of those.  Easy come, easy go.

You predict blowouts against just about every good team we play. You make enough predictions like that, and you're bound to get a couple right.

Do you have a clue as to how many people say what you said? It's crazy. I predict a blow out against a GA or a USC. And then it's easy to later say what you said. But go look at this thread right now! How many are saying, literally, that the score will be close or even that the Hogs will pull the upset? Go count it. Then tell me how easy it is to pick a blow out.

You know what's easy? To say what you said well after the fact. Moron.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on August 23, 2005, 07:35:52 pm
Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 07:10:40 pm

I know - we won't.

No you don't. You will on Sept 17th or 18th. This is college football and weird stuff happens. Do i think we'll beat USC? Heck no. But you still dont know until they kick it off. That's why they play the games.

Yes I do. I guarantee a Hog loss by at least 21 pts. If you disagree, bet me.

And see post above by MacGyver Hog predicting a Hog victory as evidence supporting my previous post.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: NuttsSacked on August 23, 2005, 08:12:24 pm

That sounds about right.  Either way, a severe butt-whipping will take place.  I prefer scenario #1 and will bet accordingly. 

Yeah, it does sound about right. It's an exact replica of my post that started this thread. Geez.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 09:01:25 pm

Yeah, it does sound about right. It's an exact replica of my post that started this thread. Geez.

My fault.

I didn't read your post.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 09:01:25 pm

I, NuttsSacked (defendant), do hereby denounce my reply to WilsonHog.  HogInMemphis (plaintiff), is furthermore entitled to all replies in agreement with replica's of his original post.  Any reproduction or rebroadcast of this thread is subject to approval by HIM, Inc.   

HighOnHogs

Quote from: NuttsSacked on August 23, 2005, 09:23:13 pmI, NuttsSacked (defendant), do hereby denounce my reply to WilsonHog. HogInMemphis (plaintiff), is furthermore entitled to all replies in agreement with replica's of his original post. Any reproduction or rebroadcast of this thread is subject to approval by HIM, Inc.

:D ;D :D ;D   Mother Goose protects her thread.

bknight33

Arkansas -10 1/2 Vanderbilt   Score:  Arkansas 17 Vandy 12
USC -28 1/2 Arkansas           Score:  USC 42  Arkansas 21
Book it DANNO!

HogsRule

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 08:58:27 pm
Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

Do you have a clue as to how many people say what you said? It's crazy. I predict a blow out against a GA or a USC. And then it's easy to later say what you said. But go look at this thread right now! How many are saying, literally, that the score will be close or even that the Hogs will pull the upset? Go count it. Then tell me how easy it is to pick a blow out.

Hey this post was exactly like mine up above. I would like all tirades by HIM re-directed towards me.

and the point is valid, It is not difficult to go out and say the Hogs are going to get blown out every game then claim that the times it happened you predicted it. Just like if you say the Hogs are going to blow everyone out, they do it against Vandy, and you claim that you predicted it.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

DevilHog

The best scenario I can think of is this: we get the ball and score on the opening drive. We make a stop and score again. If we are up 10-0 or 14-0 that erases most of what I think the spread will be. I guessing 18-20 1/2. If we can get up early it will be an interesting game. Reverse that scenario and I we will be in big trouble. I think that everyone on this board thinks that a win would be cool. They have a long streak of wins, not sure of the number, but it is a bunch. If we break that streak, coming on the heels of MM commit, then the post a few days ago about "beginning of the dynasty" will be closer to a reality. Right now it is just a dream, but it would be cool. Hey we all can dream.

Biggus Piggus

I betcha HDN does everything he can to score points in the first two games.  Runs the fricker up.  He's proud of his scoring average and ought to know the SEC is loaded with good defenses this year.  Score 110 points in the first two games, only have to average 24 the rest of the way to do 30 ppg for the season.
[CENSORED]!

HogsRule

The fact is most of the Nation is predicting a blowout ( or will be once that game rolls around) so you are just following the herd. The difficult thing would be to predict a Hog victory, which I am going to do now... The Hogs are going to beat USC. There I said it.

No Hate Zone

HogsRule

oh you want to know how? Leinart's going to have pressure in his face the whole game. couple of sacks, couple of interceptions, then we're going to run the football down their Lee Corso lovin ... rear ends.

No Hate Zone

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HogsRule on August 24, 2005, 09:55:51 am
Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

Hey this post was exactly like mine up above. I would like all tirades by HIM re-directed towards me.

and the point is valid, It is not difficult to go out and say the Hogs are going to get blown out every game then claim that the times it happened you predicted it. Just like if you say the Hogs are going to blow everyone out, they do it against Vandy, and you claim that you predicted it.

One small thing wrong with the info in your post - I don't do that. I don't predict the outcome of every game and when I do make a game prediction, I don't always predict a blowout obviously. You're dealing in generalities and not sounding too smart. Stop while you're behind.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HogsRule on August 24, 2005, 10:19:13 am
The fact is most of the Nation is predicting a blowout ( or will be once that game rolls around) so you are just following the herd. The difficult thing would be to predict a Hog victory, which I am going to do now... The Hogs are going to beat USC. There I said it.

More in this thread and others before it that asked for predictions have said that either Hogs will win or it will be close. I said USC will blow us out. I am not talking about what the "Nation" is predicting, whoever the hell that is. I am a Hog fan posting on a Hog sports board and I am in the extreme minority in predicting a USC blowout here.

Why did God put so many morons on the Earth?

HogsRule

Nation in this instance is being used to mean the U.S. you're not part of the U.S.? They would be the ones ranking USC #1 and Arkansas 40 something. They would be the ones picking a spread of at least 3 touchdowns. BTW, the spread reflects the beliefs of the "Nation" (in this instance of Nation I am referring to people all over America who will bet on this game) The bookies have to make the spread bigger to get more people to bet on the underdog. So go ahead and continue to toot your own horn that you agree with most of the people outside Arkansas and probably a lot inside. If you're right then goody for you.

Now, can you name me one game against a quality opponent that you have predicted a Hog victory or a close game or do you just predict doom and gloom?

No Hate Zone

CorningHog

Exactly!  I agree that from what I have seen, the most hilarious thing is Hog In Memphis predicting a blowout!  Well, "HELLO", the whole dad gum college football world expects this.  Sure, I have said some "optimistic" things and I also have a lot of "HOPE" for a great victory, which it would be, probably one of the best since we will be going against the "BEST" offense Arkansas has faced in quite a long time, if "EVER".

My reasoning is that we will have an explosive offense too!  PLUS, USC may in fact come in a little overconfident, "No matter how hard the USC coaches preach about SEC football and all that other stuff".  Maybe, just maybe, we will catch some breaks in the kicking game as well as some "HUGE" turnovers and our offense causes them tremendous problems.

Remember, I had a "dream" about 4 weeks ago that was "Vivid" and it had Arkansas up 14-0 in like the first 8 minutes of the game.  We scored first with our offense and then turned around and got a quick turnover and scored again.  The National Media was going crazy as was all of us Hog Fans!

Now, back to "REALITY".  Yes, we are still extremely young and untested in a lot of areas.  Plus a brand new QB against Leinart.  Reggie Bush, LenDale White, their big receivers and all the other talent.  Plus it is in Southern Cal.  A lot of stuff going against us.  Our defense was bad last year but there were some bright spots.  DE's were learning and we have 2 that are playing well and adding much more to them.  DT's will be much better, but are very young except for Harrison's year he has under his belt.  Others are Redshirts or freshmen, except for Harrison.  LB's will be mature and experienced, but we hope with more "reaction quickness" in finding the ball and tackling better.  Secondary should be solid.  All this though against the 2 time defending NC's.

Anyhow, HinMemphis, the whole attitude you portray about your "You against the Hog Dreamers" and all that stuff, is kind of disappointing.  I guess you take yourself a little "too" seriously.  I hope you understand that you like all of us realize that the potential for a blowout is very likely but we as fans should hold out some hope.

Here is your chance.  Be bold and give me 31 pts, since you pretty much say you are sure of a Hog defeat by at "least" 21 pts and give me another 10 for me being "bold" and saying we won't lose by that much.  OR, if you really want some guts, just give me 27 pts.  I will say we won't be beaten by more than 27.  That way if they win 35 to 7 you will cover.  IF not, then I will!

We can go for the sake of just who is RIGHT!  No money or wager!  Just who is right!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

razorback44

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 24, 2005, 10:06:59 am
I betcha HDN does everything he can to score points in the first two games. Runs the fricker up. He's proud of his scoring average and ought to know the SEC is loaded with good defenses this year. Score 110 points in the first two games, only have to average 24 the rest of the way to do 30 ppg for the season.

I was thinking about this earlier...do you think Nutt leaves the starters in, even if we are blowing out MSU and Vandy?  This could possibly help build a continuity between the team, of course it would also risk injury.  I would hope that he would leave them in, for the sake of learning the system, but knowing how conservative we have become,  I am sure we will be seeing Mortenson at some point.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Feralhog

Refresh my memory, your prediction of the 03 Tejas game was??????

Predicting USC will blow out Arkansas is about as ballsy as posting you hate Wally Hall on woopig. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

SultanofSwine

HiM, That's about enough of the calling everyone that replies to one of your post stupid or moron.

CorningHog

HiM, when you see my offer, just go ahead and post the "most" points you will give up to me.  We can only wager the "friendly" (I TOLD YOU SO) thing since I do not wish to gamble.

You should stick with your 31 pts thing, I think you predicted the score to be 38-6 or 7, or 62-21.  One score reflects 31 pts or 32, and the other is 41 pts.  I will accept anything over 27 but if you feel generous, go with your gut instinct of between 31 and 41 pts. 

IF USC dominates us like the "whole country" expects, then you will look fairly decent by going ahead and offering the "31 to 41 pts".

My guess is you want to have your cake and eat it too.  You want to say "31 to 41 pts" but will only offer 21.  If you wish to be known as a good "handicapper" you have to "Draw your line in the sand" a little more distinctly!

Come on bro, lets see where your "line" is.

GO HOGS!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: CorningHog on August 24, 2005, 11:20:01 pm
Exactly!  I agree that from what I have seen, the most hilarious thing is Hog In Memphis predicting a blowout!  Well, "HELLO", the whole dad gum college football world expects this.  Sure, I have said some "optimistic" things and I also have a lot of "HOPE" for a great victory, which it would be, probably one of the best since we will be going against the "BEST" offense Arkansas has faced in quite a long time, if "EVER".

My reasoning is that we will have an explosive offense too!  PLUS, USC may in fact come in a little overconfident, "No matter how hard the USC coaches preach about SEC football and all that other stuff".  Maybe, just maybe, we will catch some breaks in the kicking game as well as some "HUGE" turnovers and our offense causes them tremendous problems.

Remember, I had a "dream" about 4 weeks ago that was "Vivid" and it had Arkansas up 14-0 in like the first 8 minutes of the game.  We scored first with our offense and then turned around and got a quick turnover and scored again.  The National Media was going crazy as was all of us Hog Fans!

Now, back to "REALITY".  Yes, we are still extremely young and untested in a lot of areas.  Plus a brand new QB against Leinart.  Reggie Bush, LenDale White, their big receivers and all the other talent.  Plus it is in Southern Cal.  A lot of stuff going against us.  Our defense was bad last year but there were some bright spots.  DE's were learning and we have 2 that are playing well and adding much more to them.  DT's will be much better, but are very young except for Harrison's year he has under his belt.  Others are Redshirts or freshmen, except for Harrison.  LB's will be mature and experienced, but we hope with more "reaction quickness" in finding the ball and tackling better.  Secondary should be solid.  All this though against the 2 time defending NC's.

Anyhow, HinMemphis, the whole attitude you portray about your "You against the Hog Dreamers" and all that stuff, is kind of disappointing.  I guess you take yourself a little "too" seriously.  I hope you understand that you like all of us realize that the potential for a blowout is very likely but we as fans should hold out some hope.

Here is your chance.  Be bold and give me 31 pts, since you pretty much say you are sure of a Hog defeat by at "least" 21 pts and give me another 10 for me being "bold" and saying we won't lose by that much.  OR, if you really want some guts, just give me 27 pts.  I will say we won't be beaten by more than 27.  That way if they win 35 to 7 you will cover.  IF not, then I will!

We can go for the sake of just who is RIGHT!  No money or wager!  Just who is right!

GO HOGS!
The Hogs may have an "explosive offense" against Missouri St. and Vandy, but they won't against USC, or Ga, or LSU. Good luck with your dreams.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 25, 2005, 09:03:36 am
HiM, That's about enough of the calling everyone that replies to one of your post stupid or moron.

Ok, Sorry.

Bite me.

CorningHog

Hey, it is just a lot of hope and a little bit of football knowledge.  These guys have a great chance to surprise even the most ardent Hog fans as well as the most "pessimistic".

You still haven't "drawn your conclusive line".  Are you sticking with 21pts? or the more "bold" prediction?

Just remember that I am going to pull this thread up in 3 weeks or the start of the game week for USC and see who had a more accurate picture of both the Hogs and the Las Vegas line.

Have a good one!  Not picking on you, just the most interesting thing to talk about on here this week for me!

GO HOGS!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: CorningHog on August 25, 2005, 10:11:22 am
Hey, it is just a lot of hope and a little bit of football knowledge.  These guys have a great chance to surprise even the most ardent Hog fans as well as the most "pessimistic".

You still haven't "drawn your conclusive line".  Are you sticking with 21pts? or the more "bold" prediction?

Just remember that I am going to pull this thread up in 3 weeks or the start of the game week for USC and see who had a more accurate picture of both the Hogs and the Las Vegas line.

Have a good one!  Not picking on you, just the most interesting thing to talk about on here this week for me!

GO HOGS!

I'm waiting to see the official Vegas line on this game. Some are saying it's going to be 28 or 29 and others are saying what I said - 20 to 22. Regardless, I think it's a lock that Hogs lose by 3 TD's.

I think it would be insane to give up 30+ points though. Hogs don't lose by 30+ very often - 2 or 3 times in last 25 years maybe. But they've lost by 20+ points quite a few times against nationally competitive, ranked teams. Given that the game is in LA, I think the young Hogs will fold on offense. Nutt will probably panic. I will bet you $10 that Nutt plays all 3 Hog QB's in the USC game.

At this point, without any games played by either team, I'd take anyone's bet if they want the Hogs +21.

SultanofSwine

I would expect someone such as yourself with your superior intellect to do better than that. I guess you have been spreading a bunch of false advertising.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 25, 2005, 10:24:56 am
I would expect someone such as yourself with your superior intellect to do better than that. I guess you have been spreading a bunch of false advertising.

I don't create expectations...you do. Funny how nut jobs like you talk about my superior intellect and the like. You don't know me so how/why do you assume I have a superior intellect? If I'm posting here, I would think one would assume almost exactly the opposite. Doesn't speak well for you to assume what you obviously have.

sooie dog

August 25, 2005, 10:32:13 am #85 Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:41:57 am by sooie dog
The Oasis line had it USC -14.  This is a futures bet so it will probably will depend on what the teams do in the first games.  Maybe you guys should go ahead and load up before it jumps to USC -31.

SultanofSwine

My comments were based purely from your penchant for claiming your intellect by referring to many other posters as stupid or idiots or morons thereby placing yourself in higher esteem in your mind. I don't assume you are very intelligent. I do know without any doubt what so ever that you are a smartass that has a whole lot higher opinion of himself than should be warranted.

DevilHog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 25, 2005, 10:42:04 am
My comments were based purely from your penchant for claiming your intellect by referring to many other posters as stupid or idiots or morons thereby placing yourself in higher esteem in your mind. I don't assume you are very intelligent. I do know without any doubt what so ever that you are a smartass that has a whole lot higher opinion of himself than should be warranted.
That is pretty funny.

Inigo Montoya

oh SNAP!!!  Im ready to see some momma jokes fellaz!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: sooie dog on August 25, 2005, 10:32:13 am
The Oasis line had it USC -14.  This is a futures bet so it will probably will depend on what the teams do in the first games.  Maybe you guys should go ahead and load up before it jumps to USC -31.

Are you joking? Please PM me and tell me how I can wager on that line at the Oasis.

HogInMemphis

You sure do assume a lot. I bet that has caused some difficulty in your life. And in 15 minutes, you've done a 180 on your assumptions. I bet you're fun to be around.

sooie dog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 25, 2005, 11:05:19 am
Quote from: sooie dog on August 25, 2005, 10:32:13 am

Are you joking? Please PM me and tell me how I can wager on that line at the Oasis.

I'll send you a link tonight.  I can't get it here at work. 

SultanofSwine

It has caused me surprisingly little difficulties. Your inability to extract the sarcasm from my earlier post in no way changes the direction of any assumption I might make about you. I don't try to be "fun to be around", I am who I am.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: SultanofSwine on August 25, 2005, 11:22:38 am
It has caused me surprisingly little difficulties. Your inability to extract the sarcasm from my earlier post in no way changes the direction of any assumption I might make about you. I don't try to be "fun to be around", I am who I am.

That's good. You should not have to try to be enjoyable company. One would hope it happens naturally. I bet you're a barrel of fun.

Inigo Montoya

O.K. guys I'll start...

Yo momma so fat even Bill Gates couldn't pay for her liposuction!

Yo momma so fat she's got more Chins than a Hong Kong phone book!

bknight33

Inigo Montoya

Your mama is so fat...  she has to put on her lipstick with a paint-roller

bknight33

Your mamma is so fat...I told her to haul ass... and it took two trips.

Hog6

Your moma's so stupid she thinks a 17 inch Admiral is a well hung sailor