Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Sanchez - Laettner-like?

Started by fu-man-soo, April 29, 2007, 09:30:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/56163.html

Laettner-like?

AAU coach Bill Ingram on Mike Sanchez, the 6-foot-8 forward from Springdale, Ark., on UK's recruiting radar: "Very aggressive, very good rebounder and scorer. Very high basketball IQ. Workout fanatic. He's got an NBA body. He's ripped to the core."

When asked to compare Sanchez to another player, Ingram said, "You all won't want to hear this, but he's kind of like a Christian Laettner kid. Except he's not as arrogant. He always comes through at crunch time.

Second guess

This week's second guess: Billy Gillispie has been UK coach for less than a month. That's long enough for a fan to second-guess the hire. UK fan John Raikes wrote in an e-mail:

"If John Pelphrey beats UK next year there'll be some grumbling in Lexington. I agree with whoever said that the UK job is not one to grow into. But I heard that a lot of people would've liked to see them hire either Pelphrey or Travis Ford.

"I do think, though, that Pelphrey will end up being an excellent coach (if he's not already) and I think it would be cool if he came back to UK someday."

Raikes, 49, lives in Fairmont, W.Va., and works as a computer operator at West Virginia University Hospital. He said he'd been a UK fan since the mid-1970s when he lived in London, Ky.

mbgrulz

i hope he is coming through for the razorbacks, and not UK

hawgfan80

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Sanchez as anything like Laettner.

slopinhogs

if he is i hope he don't have his sorry personality to stomp a player on his back just because he could.

it was against Kentucky and notheing was called.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

TennesseeRaz

I used to landscape w/ his pop when we were both in college at UA.  I'm guessing the kid is grounded and has work ethic.  Sure hope he's a hog.

PigKuneDo

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on April 30, 2007, 09:20:28 pm
I used to landscape w/ his pop when we were both in college at UA.  I'm guessing the kid is grounded and has work ethic.  Sure hope he's a hog.

I coached Mike a couple of years in football (back in 1st and 2nd grade) way back... His parents were very involved (his dad, Bert like me, was a coach on the team too), and really pushed Mike to do well, but kept him humble... Mike was big for his age even then... We were no dummies... We gave him the ball every chance we got :)

Bottom line is, I'll bet he's grown to be a great kid, and I sure hope to see him playin' for the Hogs...

- Bert

HawgG

Sanchez's game is very similar to Charles Thomas.

In both strengths and weaknesses.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: fu-man-soo on April 29, 2007, 09:30:52 am
Laettner-like?

Please tell me you've got something more, foo man soo. Please tell me there's an ace up your sleeve.  These people are taking minutes out of their lives to read your post. Please tell me this topic's author hasn't pinned their hopes to a ridiculous article with an absurd comparison.

fu-man-soo

May 01, 2007, 02:42:22 pm #8 Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:47:09 pm by fu-man-soo
Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 01, 2007, 02:17:53 pm
Quote from: fu-man-soo on April 29, 2007, 09:30:52 am
Laettner-like?

Please tell me you've got something more, foo man soo. Please tell me there's an ace up your sleeve.  These people are taking minutes out of their lives to read your post. Please tell me this topic's author hasn't pinned their hopes to a ridiculous article with an absurd comparison.

i did not ask you to read my post. 

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: fu-man-soo on May 01, 2007, 02:42:22 pm
i did not ask you to read my post. 

I was curious about your thoughts and opinions concerning Hog Basketball. Well, no...not really, I just like looking at Jennifer Anniston's legs.

jbcarol

Sanchez is scheduled to visit UK the weekend of May 12.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Porquer4life

Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.  Mike, you will get so much more exposure and free PR at Kentucky. You have seen how all that hype worked for you here.  Take advantage of it.   Go east, young man.

HawgG

Quote from: jbcarol on May 02, 2007, 08:43:54 am
Quote from: Porquer4life on May 02, 2007, 08:56:24 am
Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.  Mike, you will get so much more exposure and free PR at Kentucky. You have seen how all that hype worked for you here.  Take advantage of it.   Go east, young man.

In the recruiting forum Richard is reporting that Sanchez will be at Wake Forest this weekend.

jbcarol

Quote from: HawgG on May 02, 2007, 12:05:02 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on May 02, 2007, 08:43:54 am
Quote from: Porquer4life on May 02, 2007, 08:56:24 am
Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.  Mike, you will get so much more exposure and free PR at Kentucky. You have seen how all that hype worked for you here.  Take advantage of it.   Go east, young man.

In the recruiting forum Richard is reporting that Sanchez will be at Wake Forest this weekend.

How about that?  Trips two weekends in a row. 

Side note:  Kentucky had a forward choose to go to a prep rather than sign with them last year.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

catfanNar

Quote from: slopinhogs on April 30, 2007, 06:06:55 pm
if he is i hope he don't have his sorry personality to stomp a player on his back just because he could.

They called 1 technical foul on him, should have been 2 and an automatic ejection just like a punch

jbcarol

Quote from: catfanNar on May 02, 2007, 12:36:03 pm
Quote from: slopinhogs on April 30, 2007, 06:06:55 pm

They called 1 technical foul on him, should have been 2 and an automatic ejection just like a punch

I loved this Richie Farmer paraphrase:  "If he had stomped Pelphrey there would have been 2 players ejected, one on a stretcher."

catfanNar

oh what might have been if that had happened jb!

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

PorkRyan

threeNout

I've liked what I've seen out of Sanchez this year.

Give him some time to gain a little confidence, more importantly give him some help, he could be very good.

Many times when he has caught the ball 15 feet out and just turned and shot before he had much time to think about it, he has looked very natural, very good, nothing but net.

Just because a 1st year player doesn't look like the total package the second he steps on the floor doesn't mean he doesn't have "it".

I hope he stays four years, I think he will be pretty good.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: threeNout on March 11, 2009, 11:12:39 pm
I've liked what I've seen out of Sanchez this year.

Give him some time to gain a little confidence, more importantly give him some help, he could be very good.

Many times when he has caught the ball 15 feet out and just turned and shot before he had much time to think about it, he has looked very natural, very good, nothing but net.

Just because a 1st year player doesn't look like the total package the second he steps on the floor doesn't mean he doesn't have "it".

I like the optimism.  I agree that he seems to have some potential, especially with that mid-range game, but I'd still like to see more of Andre Clark and Brandon Moore.
Whatever happens in the offseason, I'd put my money on Michael Sanchez coming back next year.  I've heard nothing about him having problems off the court and haven't heard of him having altercations with the coaching staff.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

PoormansRobbyHampton

I'd say he's closer to Satchell-like than Laettner-like.

blunt_hawg

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 12, 2009, 12:13:53 am
I'd say he's closer to Satchell-like than Laettner-like.

Give the kid a break.  He works his arse off and will improve.  He's also probably being asked to do things right now that are outside his skill-set.  After we have a more complete team, he will be able to focus on rebounding, and hopefully improve on defense...

netteltonhog

Sanchez may not be the best player on the team, but he gives his all evertime he is on the court.  You don't ever hear about him being in trouble for something stupid or skipping class.  He is becoming my favorite player on this team. 

BigSexyHog

Quote from: blunt_hawg on March 12, 2009, 03:29:58 am
Give the kid a break.  He works his arse off and will improve.  He's also probably being asked to do things right now that are outside his skill-set.  After we have a more complete team, he will be able to focus on rebounding, and hopefully improve on defense...

I agree, he is one of my favorites and he will only continue to improve.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

I always feel sorry for Sanchez. He often looks like a fish out of water, reminds me of myself. Love the work ethic though. 

I wish he'd cut his hair! It always makes me uncomfortable to see the sweaty hair touching his forehead! I KNOW I'm not alone in that sentiment......am I?

pitbull1

I'm not sure that Washington is going to leave.  Depending on what he does tonight, I think his stock has fallen.  I think he really needs to stay his senior year and hope he can do a lot more.

Road_Hog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 12, 2009, 07:20:07 am
He may work his tail off, but we are doomed in the front court game if Washington leaves and Powell doesn't make it.

We're doomed anyway.  You'd have to be a Rick Schaeffer to think Pelphrey is going to turn this thing around next year.

want2be

Every team needs good role players, we just have too many

Hawgndaaz

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: blunt_hawg on March 12, 2009, 03:29:58 am

Hey, I was one of Satchell's supporters. I apologize if I'm not ready to compare Sanchez to one of the greatest players in college basketball history. He does more of what Satchell did than what Laettner did, nothing wrong with that.

athunt

Quote from: threeNout on March 11, 2009, 11:12:39 pm

HAHAHA...+ 1...o wait...ur serious....

If by staying you mean you hope he doesn't get his scholarschip pulled, then ya I hope he gets free education too.  Hes never going to be a double double guy that everybody hopes.  The fact that he is still starting over Clark and Moore is a joke. His defense looks like Pels on Laettner...Look up and hope he misses.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

CallMeAl

Quote from: athunt on March 12, 2009, 04:59:23 pm
HAHAHA...+ 1...o wait...ur serious....

If by staying you mean you hope he doesn't get his scholarschip pulled, then ya I hope he gets free education too.  Hes never going to be a double double guy that everybody hopes.  The fact that he is still starting over Clark and Moore is a joke. His defense looks like Pels on Laettner...Look up and hope he misses.
How bad are Clark and Moore if they can't beat out Sanchez?
Hog since birth.

athunt

Unlike Carmello Anthony, Clark and Moore cant put themselves or refuse to come out of games at their discretion. If Pel thinks Sanchez helps the team more, thats his decision. But we have all seen how we played in the first half of games when Sanchez gets his 3 fouls and has to sit and Moore and Clark go in and help the team build a double digit lead. We have also watched them never see the 2nd half in these games.  And we have watched these leads evaporate.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

WMHawgfan

[Just because a 1st year player doesn't look like the total package the second he steps on the floor doesn't mean he doesn't have "it".

what does looking like Lex Luger have to do with playing basketball.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

is this thread a joke???  Sanchez is actually being compared to Laettner???  Laettner is a legend.

hogtheball

Quote from: AmaurosisHogax on March 12, 2009, 10:28:16 am
I always feel sorry for Sanchez. He often looks like a fish out of water, reminds me of myself. Love the work ethic though. 

I wish he'd cut his hair! It always makes me uncomfortable to see the sweaty hair touching his forehead! I KNOW I'm not alone in that sentiment......am I?

maybe the most disturbing post of the week with the "sweaty hair touching his forehead" line.  You should probably getting some help.  Out of curiosity, does Fortson's hair bother you as well.....   How did you ever tolerate Steven Hill?
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.