Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want to start a thread too

Started by BaggerHog, November 06, 2017, 11:51:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BaggerHog

I saw my first Razorback game as a lad of 14 in 1954. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, as some like to say. I've seen teams coached by Bowen Wyatt, Jack Mitchell, Frank Broyles, and all the others. I have my own ideas of why the Razorback Nation have fallen on hard times but you don't want to hear that nor would you understand if I tried to explain it.

Sometimes a man in his youth builds an empire and given time destroys all he has built in his later years. It's just a way of life that unfortunately happens sometimes.

porkrindjimmy

moses_007

I saw my first Razorback game at age 14 also, in 1959 in Little Rock.  Arkansas beat TCU 3-0, but that is so long ago I couldn't tell you the name of one player from that team.  I was just so excited to see the Razorbacks!

BaggerHog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 06, 2017, 11:54:11 pm
I saw my first Razorback game at age 14 also, in 1959 in Little Rock.  Arkansas beat TCU 3-0, but that is so long ago I couldn't tell you the name of one player from that team.  I was just so excited to see the Razorbacks!

Yes, it was a rainy day but I thought it was in Fayetteville. That game was the start of greatness. Does the names Barry Switzer, Lance Alworth, James Monroe, Billy Kyser, Jim Moody, (and of course there were others) sound right to you?

And to answer your question PJ, it's something the modern-day Razorback fan does not want to hear and I understand that. It's really beating a dead horse, but 1990 when we voluntarily gave up our recruiting base.         

ZERO

Quote from: ChsTigerHog on November 07, 2017, 12:27:06 amIt's really beating a dead horse, but 1990 when we voluntarily gave up our recruiting base.         

Do you think making a move to the Big 12 would go a long way in reestablishing us as a national presence?
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Tusks

Quote from: ZERO on November 07, 2017, 12:29:00 am
Do you think making a move to the Big 12 would go a long way in reestablishing us as a national presence?

I would be for going if they could get some of the band back together and add some new members.

Maybe go with MO, A/M, NB & CO
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BaggerHog

Quote from: ZERO on November 07, 2017, 12:29:00 am

I'm not sure where it would or not. Teams such as TCU, OSU, Baylor, and a few other have now gained a toehold so to speak I'm not sure we could regain what we lost. Those teams we made relevant by leaving. Of course the SWC was in deep trouble with the cheating by SMU and a couple others plus Texas trying to rule the entire conference. I can understand why we left but I still think in was a mistake (just my opinion)         

ZERO

Quote from: ChsTigerHog on November 07, 2017, 12:42:27 am
I'm not sure where it would or not. Teams such as TCU, OSU, Baylor, and a few other have now gained a toehold so to speak I'm not sure we could regain what we lost. Those teams we made relevant by leaving. Of course the SWC was in deep trouble with the cheating by SMU and a couple others plus Texas trying to rule the entire conference. I can understand why we left but I still think in was a mistake (just my opinion)         

We all know what made Baylor relevant. It was a period of about five years and now they're currently 1-8. Oklahoma State will likely regress if Gundy leaves. Snyder is not far from retirement at KSU, and we know what they're like without him. The Big 12 is a tremendously weak conference, and with the possible exception of Texas returning to form, it has nowhere to go but down.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ZERO on November 07, 2017, 12:58:29 am
We all know what made Baylor relevant. It was a period of about five years and now they're currently 1-8. Oklahoma State will likely regress if Gundy leaves. Snyder is not far from retirement at KSU, and we know what they're like without him. The Big 12 is a tremendously weak conference, and with the possible exception of Texas returning to form, it has nowhere to go but down.

That may be true, but his point was that we voluntarily gave up our recruiting base when we left the SWC.  He lived through days when the Arkansas roster was anchored by players from Texas.  He makes a good point.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoggie17

I am of this age group. I remember Bowden Wyatt and everything since.  I have to say that starting with April 2012 until now this has been the saddest chapter of Arkansas Football.

BaggerHog

It's not going to change and I know that. We optioned to become a small fish in a big pond. I personally would rather be a big fish in a small pond. Several teams have been rewarded greatly for being in those small ponds.

Coach Broyles wanted and tried to get the Arkansas job for several years before he finally got it. Unknown to him John Barnhill was not going to hire a head coach who had no head coaching experience. He got that experience that one year at Missouri and took the Arkansas job immediately when Barnhill called. Coach Broyles said it was the best coaching job in America. (so what's changed?)

ABC announcer Chris Schenkle collected college caps. He didn't want one that had not been worn in an actual game by a coach. After the disappointing loss to Texas in 1969 coach Broyles ran Schenkle down in order to give him the cap he had worn that day (Folks that's class) 

The small town where I was raised was booming on Saturday afternoons. The parents did their shopping and visiting while the kids attended the double feature at the local movie house. When the game that week was in Fayetteville the town practically shut down as the merchants would tune in the game and people would set and listen. It's all we had sports wise except our local high school and many listened and were St. Louis Cardinal baseball fans. Even those became addicted to Razorback football.

When the games were played in Little Rock or Texas they were usually at night. Families would drive to the top of a nearby hill in order to get better radio reception on their car radio. The hill would be covered by dozens of vehicles.

The come that great night in Oct. of 1964. It reminded you of the Night Before Christmas. In that little town nothing was stirring not even a mouse. The people were huddled up in their homes and cars listing to the Arkansas/Texas game. And then all the sudden as if a light bulb had been switched on people were running out of their homes hugging their neighbors (some that they really didn't like that well). Suddenly the streets were lined with cars bumper to bumper honking their horns and cheering.

It was a night like I had never seen before and never seen since. Oh what a night and what a time that was.

Those days are gone and I know it, but thanks for the memories.

dfwalumdad

if it makes you guys feel any better, this team would be dead last in the big 12 this year.

literally thank god for mississippi.

BaggerHog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 07, 2017, 08:06:00 am
if it makes you guys feel any better, this team would be dead last in the big 12 this year.

literally thank god for mississippi.

I know that...Most everyone knows that...That's the whole point...Look what we have become.

Tyro3

Quote from: ChsTigerHog on November 07, 2017, 12:27:06 am
Yes, it was a rainy day but I thought it was in Fayetteville. That game was the start of greatness. Does the names Barry Switzer, Lance Alworth, James Monroe, Billy Kyser, Jim Moody, (and of course there were others) sound right to you?

And to answer your question PJ, it's something the modern-day Razorback fan does not want to hear and I understand that. It's really beating a dead horse, but 1990 when we voluntarily gave up our recruiting base.         

I saw my first game in 1961 (I was 21) it was the Texas  Tech red raiders, and I think one of Lance Alworths last game he ran around them and ran through them, I believe we won 28 to 0 and I was hooked for life.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChsTigerHog on November 07, 2017, 08:00:06 am
It's not going to change and I know that. We optioned to become a small fish in a big pond. I personally would rather be a big fish in a small pond. Several teams have been rewarded greatly for being in those small ponds.

Coach Broyles wanted and tried to get the Arkansas job for several years before he finally got it. Unknown to him John Barnhill was not going to hire a head coach who had no head coaching experience. He got that experience that one year at Missouri and took the Arkansas job immediately when Barnhill called. Coach Broyles said it was the best coaching job in America. (so what's changed?)

ABC announcer Chris Schenkle collected college caps. He didn't want one that had not been worn in an actual game by a coach. After the disappointing loss to Texas in 1969 coach Broyles ran Schenkle down in order to give him the cap he had worn that day (Folks that's class) 

The small town where I was raised was booming on Saturday afternoons. The parents did their shopping and visiting while the kids attended the double feature at the local movie house. When the game that week was in Fayetteville the town practically shut down as the merchants would tune in the game and people would set and listen. It's all we had sports wise except our local high school and many listened and were St. Louis Cardinal baseball fans. Even those became addicted to Razorback football.

When the games were played in Little Rock or Texas they were usually at night. Families would drive to the top of a nearby hill in order to get better radio reception on their car radio. The hill would be covered by dozens of vehicles.

The come that great night in Oct. of 1964. It reminded you of the Night Before Christmas. In that little town nothing was stirring not even a mouse. The people were huddled up in their homes and cars listing to the Arkansas/Texas game. And then all the sudden as if a light bulb had been switched on people were running out of their homes hugging their neighbors (some that they really didn't like that well). Suddenly the streets were lined with cars bumper to bumper honking their horns and cheering.

It was a night like I had never seen before and never seen since. Oh what a night and what a time that was.

Start more threads.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 06, 2017, 11:52:17 pm
Ummmm...

I am up for hearing it.

PRJ
Me too! Hell, I've wasted far more time on worse things than that.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ChsTigerHog on November 07, 2017, 08:00:06 am

Thank you for this post.

PRJ

The NewEra

I saw my first game at age 9.  We lived on campus at the time just a few doors down from Lance Alworth.  That's when the Razorback love started and those were a couple of great years of my life.

BaggerHog

Thanks guys,

There are thousand's just like me all over this great state. They lived and experienced the same excitement I did.

My hope is that the younger Hog fans of this generation will experience some day the same as we did

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ChsTigerHog on November 07, 2017, 08:16:53 am
I know that...Most everyone knows that...That's the whole point...Look what we have become.
We got here by ineptitude, not by conference affiliation. Pusillanimity is running rampant in the world today...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ZERO

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 07, 2017, 06:18:28 am
That may be true, but his point was that we voluntarily gave up our recruiting base when we left the SWC.  He lived through days when the Arkansas roster was anchored by players from Texas.  He makes a good point.

I was thinking out loud and agreeing with him, really.