Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who do you think CMA has unconditionally offered

Started by nwahogfan1, April 23, 2015, 08:06:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

April 23, 2015, 08:06:58 pm Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:17:22 pm by nwahogfan1
a scholarship to for 2015 that is unsigned and we are currently recruiting?  I have read a lot of different recruiting articles where the Hogs are recruiting these kids but no offers I have seen.  Surely there are a few offers on the table or are we just waiting for these kids to visit before we offer.

TexArkHogFan

I don't know but I'm reading every day about other teams that are getting commitments and absolutely nothing coming from the Hogs.  Either MA is playing it close to the vest or we really don't have anybody other than the two already signed.  I trust  MA to come up with something, but we don't need roster fillers for these three open slots and we sure don't need to go into next season with them unfulfilled.  I know we can get by with an 8 to 10 man rotation but injuries can put you in deep trouble in a hurry.  Other middle of the pack SEC teams are landing elite recruits.  Why can't we?  I know we have two good ones signed, but Kapita may have health issues and Whitt is a stud but he can't replace four starters.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 26, 2015, 09:48:24 pm
I don't know but I'm reading every day about other teams that are getting commitments and absolutely nothing coming from the Hogs.  Either MA is playing it close to the vest or we really don't have anybody other than the two already signed.  I trust  MA to come up with something, but we don't need roster fillers for these three open slots and we sure don't need to go into next season with them unfulfilled.  I know we can get by with an 8 to 10 man rotation but injuries can put you in deep trouble in a hurry.  Other middle of the pack SEC teams are landing elite recruits.  Why can't we?  I know we have two good ones signed, but Kapita may have health issues and Whitt is a stud but he can't replace four starters.
[/quote

Portis and Qualls left Anderson in a big bind, one he should have seen coming and did his recruiting back in the Fall. Look for a Dee Wagner or two this late.

HawgAdvocate

Offers don't mean much. We can offer anyone who listens. At this point unless a recruit agrees to visit, or has visited previously, he's probably not worth too much of our time as fans.

Dixson, and maybe Frazier if the ACT gods are especially kind to us, are the only two right now that are known to have mutual interest.   
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 26, 2015, 10:01:46 pm
Offers don't mean much. We can offer anyone who listens. At this point unless a recruit agrees to visit, or has visited previously, he's probably not worth too much of our time as fans.

Dixson, and maybe Frazier if the ACT gods are especially kind to us, are the only two right now that are known to have mutual interest.

My thoughts exactly.  I think it's more of an embarrassment to offer someone who we don't have a chance of getting than to not make an offer because when they go elsewhere you read headlines like "King chooses Alabama over Arkansas".  It's OK to recruit them and let them know we'd like to have them, but unless the feeling is mutual, go on to the next one.  I'd be happy if we landed Frazier and Dixson and leave one spot open for next year, but not three.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 26, 2015, 10:10:09 pm
My thoughts exactly.  I think it's more of an embarrassment to offer someone who we don't have a chance of getting than to not make an offer because when they go elsewhere you read headlines like "King chooses Alabama over Arkansas".  It's OK to recruit them and let them know we'd like to have them, but unless the feeling is mutual, go on to the next one.  I'd be happy if we landed Frazier and Dixson and leave one spot open for next year, but not three.

Well, to be fair, King did agree to schedule a visit with Arkansas. But yeah, its likely true that if he were genuinely interested in the Hogs he would have still visited Arkansas before deciding.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

For 2015 the current offers that I know of...

Dikembe Dixson
Ebuka Izundu
Melvin Frazier
Ty Outlaw (Dudley confirmed)

Dixon has a visit May 8-10th.  Staff visited Izundu last Monday, and visited Outlaw last Tuesday.  Melvin Frazier reportedly took his ACT last Saturday, so they'll await word on if he qualifies.  Also, I haven't seen anyone else report  if Outlaw has a scholarship or not, but Dudley said he does have one, so I guess we'll await to see what comes of that.

Also, with this staff you never really know who they are keying in on, they may have a couple more guys with offers but just hasn't been brought to the light yet.  I suspect we'll at least sign 2 more for the 2015 class.

NLRHog92

Been reported that we offered PF Kyle Anderson out of Canada as well. Would be a good fit.

HawgAdvocate

April 27, 2015, 07:10:44 am #8 Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:15:54 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: NLRHog92 on April 27, 2015, 01:00:06 am
Been reported that we offered PF Kyle Anderson out of Canada as well. Would be a good fit.

Small correction - Kyle Alexander.

Alexander & Ray Kasango both took official visits to Tennessee this past weekend for the Vols spring football game. Ebuka Izundu was supposed to be there as well, though I saw no confirmation that he made it.

We need to get recruits on campus. Even with the EYBL and Adidas Uprising events going on, hosting recruits for the spring football game would/could have been beneficial.

NLRHog92

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 07:10:44 am
Small correction - Kyle Alexander.

Alexander & Ray Kasango both took official visits to Tennessee this past weekend for the Vols spring football game. Ebola Izundu was supposed to be there as well, though I saw no confirmation that he made it.

We need to get recruits on campus. Even with the EYBL and Adidas Uprising events going on, hosting recruits for the spring football game would/could have been beneficial.

Wow, seems Tenner is out working us, at least publicly! I would love to have any of those guys to add to our front court, I think we're in desperate need there.

mbgrulz

I'm not sure I understand the mentality of those who say CMA should have prepared better for losing BP and MQ.

What exactly was he supposed to do?

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 27, 2015, 09:45:18 am
I'm not sure I understand the mentality of those who say CMA should have prepared better for losing BP and MQ.

What would you have done if you were him? Are you even attempting to put yourself in their possible frame of mind?

What would you have done if you knew there was a better than fair chance that you lose Portis to the NBA (he's been projected around the lottery and, at worst, solidly in the first round since he decided to come back for his sophomore year)? What would you have done if you know there was at least a 50/50 chance Michael Qualls goes pro? What would you have done to combat the inevitable transferring of at least one player after the season?

HawgAdvocate

Pretty simple. Recruiting never, ever stops. What he and his staff are supposed to do is continue to recruit and generate interest so that should Qualls and/or Portis decide to go pro early (they knew it was very possible a year+ ago), they will have worked to find available 2015 recruits that are interested in playing for the Razorbacks and hopefully ready to visit and eventually sign on.

It's called being proactive, instead of reactive.

nwahogfan1

April 27, 2015, 10:30:24 am #13 Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:15:48 pm by nwahogfan1

CMA knew he had few scorers in his 2nd group and little depth at the 3 spot or scoring forward position.   I think he should of signed the best 6'5+ scoring athlete he could sign and then allow the numbers to work out.  This was the way Nolan recruited and it can be done that way today.

psooie

If he wants to stay coach of the Razorbacks, he better start bringing in some recruits.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 26, 2015, 10:37:15 pm
For 2015 the current offers that I know of...

Dikembe Dixson
Ebuka Izundu
Melvin Frazier
Ty Outlaw (Dudley confirmed)

Dixon has a visit May 8-10th.  Staff visited Izundu last Monday, and visited Outlaw last Tuesday.  Melvin Frazier reportedly took his ACT last Saturday, so they'll await word on if he qualifies.  Also, I haven't seen anyone else report  if Outlaw has a scholarship or not, but Dudley said he does have one, so I guess we'll await to see what comes of that.

Also, with this staff you never really know who they are keying in on, they may have a couple more guys with offers but just hasn't been brought to the light yet.  I suspect we'll at least sign 2 more for the 2015 class.

That is a good list.  Will we get them all on campus for a visit?   What is our chances with Outlaw?  I have not seen his game but we need an older SF in this class.   Are we recruiting Kyle Alexander at all?  He would be a nice player to have and develop his offense.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 27, 2015, 10:57:31 am
That is a good list.  Will we get them all on campus for a visit?   What is our chances with Outlaw?  I have not seen his game but we need an older SF in this class.   Are we recruiting Kyle Alexander at all?  He would be a nice player to have and develop his offense.

Dixson is the only player with a visit scheduled.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2015, 10:04:17 am
What would you have done if you were him? Are you even attempting to put yourself in their possible frame of mind?

What would you have done if you knew there was a better than fair chance that you lose Portis to the NBA (he's been projected around the lottery and, at worst, solidly in the first round since he decided to come back for his sophomore year)? What would you have done if you know there was at least a 50/50 chance Michael Qualls goes pro? What would you have done to combat the inevitable transferring of at least one player after the season?
A couple of things on that...

#1 - Its easy now that they are gone to think we needed to get other players, but I truly believe that the coaches had enough positive information for them staying that it held them back from giving the hard sell to other recruits. You can disagree and say "Oh, they were obviously leaving" but that just doesn't add up.

#2 - I sort of alluded to it already, but you can only go so far down the road of recruiting if you don't actually have a spot for them right? Eventually these guys that you are recruiting, but unable to offer are going to need to sign somewhere (Mostly in the November ESP). 

mbgrulz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 10:26:28 am
Pretty simple. Recruiting never, ever stops. What he and his staff are supposed to do is continue to recruit and generate interest so that should Qualls and/or Portis decide to go pro early (they knew it was very possible a year+ ago), they will have worked to find available 2015 recruits that are interested in playing for the Razorbacks and hopefully ready to visit and eventually sign on.

It's called being proactive, instead of reactive.
You're sure they haven't done those things? You're sure they didn't continue to recruit?

I think that a major issue with CMA's close to the vest recruiting style is that the booger eaters like HA can sit back and say things like "he should have kept on recruiting", when in reality they have no idea if they actually have been or not.

I hope we have continued to recruit, but I also don't want to sign someone just to sign someone. We need difference makers, and if they aren't out there, then lets just go to work with what we have and load up for 2016.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 27, 2015, 12:11:03 pm
You can disagree and say "Oh, they were obviously leaving" but just doesn't add up

It certainly would if you weren't in denial.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: psooie on April 27, 2015, 10:31:43 am
If he wants to stay coach of the Razorbacks, he better start bringing in some recruits.
When are you bringing him in for his yearly performance review?

Hawg Red

#1 - Its easy now that they are gone to think we needed to get other players, but I truly believe that the coaches had enough positive information for them staying that it held them back from giving the hard sell to other recruits. You can disagree and say "Oh, they were obviously leaving" but that just doesn't add up.

What does it hurt to still aggressively recruit unsigned/uncommitted kids and then, when if one or both decide to stay, pull away? I'd say if there's any real chance, you have to proceed as if you need to replace them.

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 27, 2015, 12:11:03 pm#2 - I sort of alluded to it already, but you can only go so far down the road of recruiting if you don't actually have a spot for them right? Eventually these guys that you are recruiting, but unable to offer are going to need to sign somewhere (Mostly in the November ESP).

No, not really. 6 of the top 20 players in the 2015 class were unsigned or uncommitted (some still have yet to commit) at the beginning of April. And they're all probably looking at schools that did not have a spot for them after the early period. Did I mention that 5 of the 6 are either big men or SFs? Cast a wider net, especially when they're a real chance you could lose players to the pros.

And even outside of the top 20, there were players in the top 100 or maybe even the top 150 that were out there after the early period. Bunch of those have dried up since, but you still have to recruit. Most schools lose kids to transfer, and we certainly have each of Anderson's 4 seasons, and we had two guys that had a real chance to leave.

Hawg Red

I'm also seeing a lot of "How do you know they stopped recruiting?" while also saying "They didn't have the spots."

Pick a lane.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2015, 12:29:01 pm
I'm also seeing a lot of "How do you know they stopped recruiting?" while also saying "They didn't have the spots."

Pick a lane.
I'll choose the "How did you know....." lane. I'm not asking in a confrontational way, but what makes it apparent that MA stopped recruiting? Didn't we offer someone while P/Q were supposedly still deciding? I remember because naturally the board became frantic with suspicion of the offer meaning that Portis was gone.

I agree that we should stay aggressive when faced with that situation. However, I'm not sure I see evidence that we were/weren't aggressive.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 27, 2015, 12:17:01 pm
You're sure they haven't done those things? You're sure they didn't continue to recruit?

I think that a major issue with CMA's close to the vest recruiting style is that the booger eaters like HA can sit back and say things like "he should have kept on recruiting", when in reality they have no idea if they actually have been or not.

I hope we have continued to recruit, but I also don't want to sign someone just to sign someone. We need difference makers, and if they aren't out there, then lets just go to work with what we have and load up for 2016.

Are you suggesting we start the season with ten scholarship players?  Under MA's system that relies on frequent substitutions lots of luck with that. 

latrops

CMA doesn't have a strong history of signing multiple immediate impact types per class.  Saving scholarships for next year doesn't guarantee that we get better players.  We have three scholarships available now, and it would be very disappointing to not bring in at least two guys.  We already have depth issues in certain spots and look to have some potentially serious matchup deficiencies as our roster stands now.  Our backcourt is a bit small presently, and that 3rd guard/sf spot looks to be small as well unless Keaton Miles surprises.  There is no reason any SEC program coming off a 25+ win NCAAT season shouldn't be able to bring in a couple of useful players, even in May.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 27, 2015, 12:57:55 pm
I'll choose the "How did you know....." lane. I'm not asking in a confrontational way, but what makes it apparent that MA stopped recruiting? Didn't we offer someone while P/Q were supposedly still deciding? I remember because naturally the board became frantic with suspicion of the offer meaning that Portis was gone.

I agree that we should stay aggressive when faced with that situation. However, I'm not sure I see evidence that we were/weren't aggressive.

There wass absolutely noting from the time we got the Kapita verbal to right around the time the NCAA tournament started. That's when we started seeing offers for guys like Dikembe Dixson and Kyle Alexander. If they were recruiting other players, or better players than those two, there's no evidence of it. And I'm of the opinion that it's 2015 -- there are no secret recruiting efforts.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2015, 01:01:05 pm
There wass absolutely noting from the time we got the Kapita verbal to right around the time the NCAA tournament started. That's when we started seeing offers for guys like Dikembe Dixson and Kyle Alexander. If they were recruiting other players, or better players than those two, there's no evidence of it. And I'm of the opinion that it's 2015 -- there are no secret recruiting efforts.
Good answer +1

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2015, 01:01:05 pm

The other possibility we should acknowledge/consider, aside from the idea that the staff 'stopped recruiting,' is that whatever recruiting efforts the staff did manage simply weren't/haven't been very effective.

Dominicanhog

Mike said in a recent press conference, after they announced, that the staff had continued to recruit, and that you always have to keep recruiting... not sure what part of those statements by Mike are so hard to understand..... I guess some posters know better and Mike is not telling the truth...

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 01:11:59 pm
The other possibility we should acknowledge/consider, aside from the idea that the staff 'stopped recruiting,' is that whatever recruiting efforts the staff did manage simply weren't/haven't been very effective.
Very good point and a strong possibility.

HawgAdvocate

So you would expect this staff to go out and sign seven 'difference makers' next season? Four seniors next season + the current three unclaimed.

Good luck with that.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 01:39:22 pm
So you would expect this staff to go out and sign seven 'difference makers' next season? Four seniors next season + the current three unclaimed.

Good luck with that.
I hear ya and I think we need to add at least one more.

Hypothetically though, in terms of the 3 unclaimed, wouldn't it be better to get 3 solid/average players with more time to look and more available players instead of 3 possible Dee Wagners this year?

I don't want to be saddled with them for 4 years if they're a dud. I guess we could theoretically nudge them out after this season, if need be.

HawgAdvocate

April 27, 2015, 02:30:34 pm #33 Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:57:43 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 27, 2015, 01:47:17 pm
Hypothetically though, in terms of the 3 unclaimed, wouldn't it be better to get 3 solid/average players with more time to look and more available players instead of 3 possible Dee Wagners this year?

I don't want to be saddled with them for 4 years if they're a dud. I guess we could theoretically nudge them out after this season, if need be.

Recruiting is a multi-year process. The questions you have to ask are 'how much more time do they need?' when they should already be scouting and effectively recruiting juniors and sophomores for future classes just like they should have been doing for this 2015 group two years ago,  and 'do they continue to spend time/resources filling the 2015 holes we currently have?'

Considering the lack of spring visits lined up, on top of the staff's efforts at the EYBL and the Adidas events watching 2016/17 kids instead of hosting 2015 recruits at the spring game, it certainly appears as if they staff is in no hurry to fill these remaining three.

They can certainly take the route you're suggesting, and go into 2015-16 with a short roster and a TON of recruiting responsibility to undertake if they're looking at filling six/seven spots. Even then though, let's not kid ourselves, out of that large group we'll still certainly end up with some reaches/projects.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 02:30:34 pm
They can certainly take the route you're suggesting, and go into 2015-16 with a short roster and a TON of recruiting responsibility to undertake if they're looking at filling six/seven spots. Even then though, let's not kid ourselves, out of that large group we'll still certainly end up with some reaches/projects.

Could see the 2016 class being....

Daryl Macon (SG)
Mitchell Smith (PF/SF)
Eric Curry (PF/SF)
Tyler Cook (PF)
Andre Jones (SG)
Payton Willis (PG)
Adrian Moore (SF)

I wonder what the general Hogville reaction would be to that class. I personally don't see a 7-player class, but that's what we'd be looking at if we did not sign anyone to finish out the 2015 class. Williams and Miles are seniors in the frontcourt, Bell and Durham in the backcourt...plus the 3 spots open right now. Would like to get Malik Monk, Jalyen Fisher, Micah Thomas, Terrance Ferguson...guys like that. But, if I'm being honest with myself, I could see it looking more like the list above. And I think there's some good players in that class. Just not sure that's what most fans are expecting based off all of this "2016 class is key" talk. Is that a "key" class? I wonder...

hawginbigd1

HA, I am 100% agreement on this, recruiting is a multi-year process, and we are building initial relationships and possible initial offers right now for current year signees. This is a problem.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2015, 03:21:57 pm
Could see the 2016 class being....
Daryl Macon (SG)
Mitchell Smith (PF/SF)
Eric Curry (PF/SF)
Tyler Cook (PF)
Andre Jones (SG)
Payton Willis (PG)
Adrian Moore (SF)

Only way that class would really be acceptable in most hog fans minds if say Beard, Whitt, Kapita, and maybe another guy turn out to be complete studs and we're starting the 2016-2017 ranked.  I think even then if you miss on some big guys there will be a lot of criticism.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 01:11:59 pm
Then CMA will have a choice to make in the next few years.....keep the staff in tact and hope we have a good NCAA run every few years or try and update the staff with better recruiters. If CMA learned anything from his mentor he should understand that this fan base will not unconditionally support a coach who has a good season every 3-4 years. I hope that doesn't happen but we are going to take a step back next year. The question is how far back a step it will be.

Pork Twain

I, like everyone else on here, do not know who CMA and staff continued to recruit or how hard he recruited them.  What I do know is that several other lesser schools are signing players that would have looked really good in a Hog uniform next year.  I am not sure how that continues to happen but it is frustrating.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 28, 2015, 06:34:29 am
I, like everyone else on here, do not know who CMA and staff continued to recruit or how hard he recruited them.  What I do know is that several other lesser schools are signing players that would have looked really good in a Hog uniform next year.  I am not sure how that continues to happen but it is frustrating.

Exactly, and we are getting out recruited by coaches who have only been on the job for a short period of time.

mhuff

Personally think the secret to the 2016 class will be getting early commits from some big hitters..... It could make a huge difference to some big time recruits that would not consider us unless we have elite talent early. This could be the recruiting class of the century.

Hog_Swanson

A couple of things on that...

#2 - I sort of alluded to it already, but you can only go so far down the road of recruiting if you don't actually have a spot for them right? Eventually these guys that you are recruiting, but unable to offer are going to need to sign somewhere (Mostly in the November ESP).
Not to mention, you will destroy the in roads you have with high school coaches if you recruit hard and not offer.  It's never good to dangle the carrot.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on May 01, 2015, 04:04:18 pm
Not to mention, you will destroy the in roads you have with high school coaches if you recruit hard and not offer.  It's never good to dangle the carrot.

"Destroy?" That's pretty harsh. When our staff is recruiting and talking up future pros like Portis and Qualls being on our current roster, it's pretty dang easy to simply say we may have additional openings in the spring.

Any coach/recruit can understand that.