Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's Don't Blow Up the Team Just Yet

Started by WilsonHog, December 27, 2007, 12:09:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

It isn't even January 1st yet. We're 9-3 and should be 11-3 when we start SEC play, even though Baylor will be a tough test down in Dallas. Truth be told, if we had beaten Appalachian State everyone would be pretty pleased with where we are. The outcome of one game, regardless of the opponent or the score, shouldn't be enough to send fans searching for the Prozac.

I'm not saying that Pel shouldn't find some more minutes for Washington or Britt. Perhaps he should. I just don't think we ought to be writing the season off before the first conference game.

One thing to keep in mind is that having six seniors tends to be more of a positive when they're playing in the same system all four years. This group isn't. I suspect that John Pelphrey's style and Stan Heath's style are as different as night and day in most every respect, and seniors aren't going to adjust to that over night. They may not adjust to it all season, at least not all of them.

We are a work in progress because of the coaching change. I trust Pel and Rob Evans to get us where we all want to go, even if that doesn't happen this season.       

Bama Hog™

Quote from: Tom Bennett on December 27, 2007, 12:09:28 pm
It isn't even January 1st yet. We're 9-3 and should be 11-3 when we start SEC play, even though Baylor will be a tough test down in Dallas. Truth be told, if we had beaten Appalachian State everyone would be pretty pleased with where we are. The outcome of one game, regardless of the opponent or the score, shouldn't be enough to send fans searching for the Prozac.

I'm not saying that Pel shouldn't find some more minutes for Washington or Britt. Perhaps he should. I just don't think we ought to be writing the season off before the first conference game.

One thing to keep in mind is that having six seniors tends to be more of a positive when they're playing in the same system all four years. This group isn't. I suspect that John Pelphrey's style and Stan Heath's style are as different as night and day in most every respect, and seniors aren't going to adjust to that over night. They may not adjust to it all season, at least not all of them.

We are a work in progress because of the coaching change. I trust Pel and Rob Evans to get us where we all want to go, even if that doesn't happen this season.       

I agree. Well said. He is good caoch, but it is gonna take some time. I think we will see a different team by the end of the season. Everyone needs to stay calm.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

spudhog

another thing is, and this goes for any first year coach at a new school. these players aren't made for his system. sure most have attributes that can fit in but they also lack key components that is needed to carry out this style of play.

no doubt in my mind this team is better than last years already. give pel another year or two to bring in his type of player.

Grag T

Things will definitely get much better with a little time.  I'm not discouraged at all.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

chiefsfan

Baylor isnt a certainty.  Not with this team

WE have the potential to beat them by 30  or lose by 15
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.