Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

grasping for positives.....in 2005 north carolina......

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, December 23, 2007, 07:18:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

won the national championship after losing to Santa Clara.

in 1993 Arkansas lost to Northeast Louisiana at LITTLE ROCK then won the western division and went to the sweet 16 and almost took down north carolina.

i know it doesnt look good now but its not impossible to bounce back from this stuff.

i still have confidence in coach pel to get us back on the right track. We played well against a pretty good Mizzou team and won. We need to get back to playing like that again.

HoginIllinois

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 23, 2007, 07:18:53 am
in 1993 Arkansas lost to Northeast Louisiana at LITTLE ROCK then won the western division and went to the sweet 16 and almost took down north carolina.

i know it doesnt look good now but its not impossible to bounce back from this stuff.

That's the smae thing going through my mind. We all know what happened the next year.

40MINSOFHELL

bricklayer

North Carolina and the 93 Hogs huh????  Those two teams were STACKED with talent.  We're not.  It'll take some time, but we'll get some kids who have talent and want to compete in here next year and it'll get better.

Section B

From this team only PB would have had a chance for significant playing time with Nolan's Final Four teams.  These players just aren't that talented.  They're playing with more intensity than last year, and are improved defensively, but their lack of offensive skills and bball savvy/instincts makes it very difficult to win consistently against teams with equal or better talent.  Generally, you can't fault their effort this year but it seems they have too many deficiencies to overcome to be a championship caliber team. 

Too many athletes and not enough bball players.  IMO, when you can't consistently knock down a 5-footer, finish around the hoop, get to the open spot, anticipate passing lanes, etc, you don't really understand bball and are instead just an athlete that can run and jump with quickness.  When these players encounter a team of players that understands bball, then they will struggle, especially against equal or greater talent.  App State had bball players and equal talent. 

SH is a perfect example.  If you're 7ft and have developed no offensive skills around the basket (either on your own or with help) by college, you are not an instinctive bball player.  PB is the only player that is a bball player instead of an athlete playing bball and we'll struggle until Coach Pel can recruit bball players that are hopefully great athletes as well.  So I wouldn't look for any NC or Nolan type miracles this year or next.  Be at least 2-3 years before that is possible.
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

Hoggy1

Quote from: bricklayer on December 25, 2007, 11:11:25 pm
North Carolina and the 93 Hogs huh????  Those two teams were STACKED with talent.  We're not.  It'll take some time, but we'll get some kids who have talent and want to compete in here next year and it'll get better.

93 Arkansas wasn't exactly stacked with talent...a lot of good system and role players
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Modsquad24

in 1998 we lost to American in Peurto Rico and Murray St, went on to be 24-11 and advanced to second round of ncaa tournament