Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colin Sexton

Started by WillsWorld, February 23, 2018, 11:11:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WillsWorld

I heard he might be ruled ineligible which could be good news for us tomorrow. Are the reports true?

sickboy

He should be. Who knows if it'll actually happen.

Amityvillehogger

They have nothing to lose at this point since he's played all these games. What's ruling him ineligible from here on out going to do for them.

It would have to come from someone else and not self imposed.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

BoarEd

I'm just glad that our coach seems to have kept our program clean. Because by the time the dust settles here, there's gonna be lots of shuffling in the NCAA power index.

I have a feeling they will be releasing more stuff, and even making arrests, between now and tournament time.

Why isn't Arkansas better than they are? Because they're competing with pros.

BoarEd

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 23, 2018, 11:31:56 am
They have nothing to lose at this point since he's played all these games. What's ruling him ineligible from here on out going to do for them.

These guys will likely sit the rest of the season. That way the university can hope they don't have proof of coaches/administrators tied directly to the scheme and they can say they suspended players in violation as soon as they found out.

I don't remember what was alledged of Sexton, but if it was money, he won't play.

sickboy

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 23, 2018, 11:31:56 am

Perhaps. If I'm running a program who has one of these players listed, I'd consider sitting the players to try and show that we're taking this seriously and to engender some leniency when the NCAA decides to really punish all these programs. A program like Kentucky or Duke will be fine, but a program like Alabama, who isn't a traditional basketball power, could really be hurt by big sanctions.

hoghappy

My favorite thing about Mike Anderson is his character. The man that MLKJ was talking about in his dream speech has got to be CMA.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hoghappy on February 23, 2018, 11:38:29 am
My favorite thing about Mike Anderson is his character. The man that MLKJ was talking about in his dream speech has got to be CMA.

There is no debating or questioning the character of Mike Anderson. The man is as honorable as they come.

BoarEd

The thing that confounds me most about all of this are the people out there saying the FBI has no business investigating this stuff. Lol. Wire fraud, tax evasion, racketeering, etc all occuring across state lines. LMAO. It's exactly what the FBI is meant to investigate. Exactly. Especially considering that the NCAA has turned a blind eye to this stuff, at best, whole at worst being down right complicit in it. Millions of dollars have been exchanging hands off the books through all of this.

And now the narrative is being floated out there that this is happening because racism. Lol. Steven A. Smith said as much about a half hour ago on the radio. This is all happening because people don't like black folks. WTH.

Atlhogfan1

Sexton was suspended for a game in November and it was believed to be related to this FBI investigation.  He may have already served his punishment for having a meal or meeting with the agent's rep and the rep having paid for it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: BoarEd on February 23, 2018, 11:44:31 am
And now the narrative is being floated out there that this is happening because racism. Lol. Steven A. Smith said as much about a half hour ago on the radio. This is all happening because people don't like black folks. WTH.

If white men could jump it wouldn't just be a black thing Steven A. Smith.  Take your athletic superiority having privilege and stuff it in a sock!!!

(note: this is sarcasm for those who can't understand sarcasm.  Also note, yes I realize white people can jump and have made great strides in football and basketball since almost becoming extinct in the 90's which gives me great hope for the polar bear.)

HogFaninMemphis

The thing that confounds me most about all of this are the people out there saying the FBI has no business investigating this stuff. Lol. Wire fraud, tax evasion, racketeering, etc all occuring across state lines. LMAO. It's exactly what the FBI is meant to investigate. Exactly. Especially considering that the NCAA has turned a blind eye to this stuff, at best, whole at worst being down right complicit in it. Millions of dollars have been exchanging hands off the books through all of this.

You knew someone would play the race card. might as well be Stephen A.
I think this definitely is something the FBI should be investigating. This isn't really the NCAA's fault though. They have very limited resources to conduct real thorough investigations. They also have very little authority and rights to do much when they do find things. Agents can't really be punished by the NCAA, nor can AAU, but the FBI can bridge those gaps between AAU, college players, coaches, agents, and the NBA. Inevitably it was going to come down to a full investigation. Let's hope the sport isn't as dirty as it appears to be, or things could get real sad and bad real fast.
That being said, I doubt many players get in a whole lot of trouble, just ruled ineligible. It also will be hard to punish schools if the FBI doesn't find links between agents and coaches. That list that Yahoo showed is just a list of players being paid by an agency, which is legal though against NCAA rules.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Tusks

The thing is there maybe more evidence that Sexton took more than a meal.

He could have signed for shoe money and they just haven't released the evidence.

The stuff released is just a snippet of what's been going on not the whole case.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 23, 2018, 12:06:31 pm
You knew someone would play the race card. might as well be Stephen A.
I think this definitely is something the FBI should be investigating. This isn't really the NCAA's fault though. They have very limited resources to conduct real thorough investigations. They also have very little authority and rights to do much when they do find things. Agents can't really be punished by the NCAA, nor can AAU, but the FBI can bridge those gaps between AAU, college players, coaches, agents, and the NBA. Inevitably it was going to come down to a full investigation. Let's hope the sport isn't as dirty as it appears to be, or things could get real sad and bad real fast.
That being said, I doubt many players get in a whole lot of trouble, just ruled ineligible. It also will be hard to punish schools if the FBI doesn't find links between agents and coaches. That list that Yahoo showed is just a list of players being paid by an agency, which is legal though against NCAA rules.

Are you kidding me.  The NCAA has more money than they can spend.  Fricking dumbarse Emmert makes $1M a year.

If they NCAA wanted to police their sports, then they'd get subpoena power and the members would agree to give it to them.

The NCAA doesn't do anything because they want to ride the money train as long, as hard and has far as they can.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tusked on February 23, 2018, 12:10:13 pm
The thing is there maybe more evidence that Sexton took more than a meal.

He could have signed for shoe money and they just haven't released the evidence.

The stuff released is just a snippet of what's been going on not the whole case.

There may be.  And if Bama knows that and keeps playing him its a risk. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2018, 12:15:21 pm
There may be.  And if Bama knows that and keeps playing him its a risk. 

Whats the risk really? I mean Forced to vacate wins, and maybe a 1 yr post season ban? Unless there is proof they knew about it, they would not get much more than that, and they are a bubble team most years anyway.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 12:28:57 pm
Whats the risk really? I mean Forced to vacate wins, and maybe a 1 yr post season ban? Unless there is proof they knew about it, they would not get much more than that, and they are a bubble team most years anyway.

The risk of playing the player after they know it and the public knows it is the loss of plausible denyability. Xavier and Kentucky have already released statements....we have no relationship with this agent, he has no association in recruiting athletes to said school, I have no knowledge of any relationship or financial arrangements he had with any of our players.

NC State actually looks pretty good. In 2012 they sent the guy a disassociation letter I guess similar to a cease and desist order to stay away from their athletes.

I'm betting the Sexton suspension has already covered him. They probably self reported the meal, Sexton paid the money back and did a game suspension. Right around the same time Bama had a staffer fired or resigned due to a relationship, I believe with the agents runner.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

parallaxpig

Didn't realize Coach K and Cal were black........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 12:28:57 pm

That's why the punishment should be forfeit games, not vacate wins. That will impact the program and coaches much harsher.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2018, 11:42:21 am
There is no debating or questioning the character of Mike Anderson. The man is as honorable as they come.

This. Probably one of the finest men in college sports.

jm

Quote from: parallaxpig on February 23, 2018, 12:48:29 pm
Didn't realize Coach K and Cal were black........

This is what has always amused/amazed me. There is always talk, especially from black commentators, of how there aren't enough black coaches, but how many of the top 10 black players in the U.S. go to a college that has a black head coach? Very few, which really doesn't make sense! Why? Probably because Coach K and Cal etc. are closer to the agents.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2018, 12:51:35 pm
That's why the punishment should be forfeit games, not vacate wins. That will impact the program and coaches much harsher.

1. Forfeit wins

2. Receive no conference money associated with said sport

3. 2 yr post season ban

4. Lose a scholarship for every ineligible player

5. Entire coaching staff immediately terminated, regardless of whether they are still at school where violations occurred or not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 02:12:59 pm
1. Forfeit wins

2. Receive no conference money associated with said sport

3. 2 yr post season ban

4. Lose a scholarship for every ineligible player

5. Entire coaching staff immediately terminated, regardless of whether they are still at school where violations occurred or not.

Meanwhile players skips merrily to the NBA....

Ironhawg

I wish the investigation would lead the FBI into the NCAA offices.  That entire organization has become worthless.  As examples I offer the Miami (Fl.) and N. Carolina investigations.  Néed to burn it down and start all over.

redhogchilipepper

Stephen A Smith has a stick and all his does is stir shite up.

RazorPiggie

If its just for having a meal paid for by an agent, which apparently has been paid back and was suspended one game, then who cares and let him play. Thats the only thing we have to go off of right now.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on February 23, 2018, 03:18:14 pm
Meanwhile players skips merrily to the NBA....

Well what is supposed to be done about that? Accepting money from an agent is not a crime ( now trying to hide it, not reporting the income, etc is a different thing altogether ).

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
3h3 hours ago

Collin Sexton expected to play Arkansas 'at this time' after FBI report  https://trib.al/oKyAeAZ

QuoteThere's more smoke in the wide-ranging FBI investigation into college basketball recruiting. Again, it mentioned Alabama star freshman Collin Sexton.

It, however, isn't impacting his availability for the 5 p.m. CT Saturday game with Arkansas in Coleman Coliseum. Coach Avery Johnson said he saw the report and didn't have any updates on his status. The coach was asked specifically if he'd play against the Razorbacks,

"Yes," Johnson said. "At this time, we anticipate that."

Sexton was named in a Yahoo Sports report published Friday morning on a list of players who allegedly had family members take meals from an agent.

Johnson said Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne is "leading the charge" looking into the matter along with compliance.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

lynbug

Do you guys really think there will be serious sanctions against these big-time programs and coaches?  Think about possible lost revenue.  And isn't that what it's all about...money ::)?

golfinpig

College's and the NCAA brought this on themselves with the one and done fiasco. ESPN does their part by pushing the blue bloods like KU, Duke etc. The agents then steer the players to those schools for max exposure and the agents and players want some of that ESPN money.

hogsanity

Quote from: golfinpig on February 23, 2018, 10:06:12 pm
College's and the NCAA brought this on themselves with the one and done fiasco. ESPN does their part by pushing the blue bloods like KU, Duke etc. The agents then steer the players to those schools for max exposure and the agents and players want some of that ESPN money.

one and done rule is a nba rule, they could stop that anytime they want to change the cba.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 10:26:15 pm
one and done rule is a nba rule, they could stop that anytime they want to change the cba.

Why would the 36 year old vet want a teenager taking his job?

AirWarren

He will be in the NBA before any punishment happens.

Beaverfever

Quote from: AP85 on February 23, 2018, 10:34:22 pm
He will be in the NBA before any punishment happens.
It wouldn't be Sexton's decision.  He'll be fine.  If Alabma's position is that they had no idea that he was involved with an agent then they'd probably be wise to hold him out for the rest of the season.  They become a part of the story if they let a kid play knowing that he was ineligible.  Tomorrow will be interesting.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2018, 11:42:21 am

So it is out of respect you call him mediocre mike?

razorback1829

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 23, 2018, 11:57:24 pm
So it is out of respect you call him mediocre mike?

Totally backwards, and he probably doesn't understand how disrespectful it is to someone who works as hard as MA.

parallaxpig

Quote from: lynbug on February 23, 2018, 06:17:14 pm
Do you guys really think there will be serious sanctions against these big-time programs and coaches?  Think about possible lost revenue.  And isn't that what it's all about...money ::)?

Personally I'm with you on this, don't think they will do a thing. I do think NCAA is at a crossroads. If they don't hammer some schools then they verify what a joke most of us think they are. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The Hogfather

What in the F?  Seriously?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WillsWorld on February 23, 2018, 11:11:15 am
I heard he might be ruled ineligible which could be good news for us tomorrow. Are the reports true?

Let these kids play basketball. This whole model creates corruption. The NCAA makes billions of dollars. Don't punish the players but let the hammer fall on agents abd coaches. Don't punish other players that would be coming into the programs. Admit your system is jacked up and make changes.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2018, 12:51:35 pm

A punishment to be a punishment has to be a punishment. If you tell little Calipari that he can't have any candy ,or you'll spank his hands. If you don't, little Calipari will gain fifty pounds...... probably 500 lbs.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 24, 2018, 07:08:36 am
Let these kids play basketball. This whole model creates corruption. The NCAA makes billions of dollars. Don't punish the players but let the hammer fall on agents abd coaches. Don't punish other players that would be coming into the programs. Admit your system is jacked up and make changes.
By letting the kids who accepted money play, you are in essence punishing the coaches and players who didn't cheat.

LumberBacks

There needs to be a better outlet for the blue chippers than college ball.  They don't care about an education or their legacy at an institution. They are simply using an institution for exposure, buy one year til they go pro, and meet chicks.  Let them go on to the NBA or pay them better to enter the G League for a year.  Will the quality of college basketball suffer for the fan?  Not really.  In fact, it would create more parity and for the non-blue bloods, make it even more appealing.  But the blue bloods ... they don't like it so they'll pay to prevent momentum behind other models.

AirWarren

If backed into a corner.....pull the race card.

Dominicanhog

Dominicanhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 24, 2018, 12:25:10 am
Totally backwards, and he probably doesn't understand how disrespectful it is to someone who works as hard as MA.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: tusked on February 23, 2018, 12:13:11 pm
Are you kidding me.  The NCAA has more money than they can spend.  Fricking dumbarse Emmert makes $1M a year.

If they NCAA wanted to police their sports, then they'd get subpoena power and the members would agree to give it to them.

The NCAA doesn't do anything because they want to ride the money train as long, as hard and has far as they can.

Truth
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

FreeParkingonDickson

Yeah Avery Johnson is refusing to discuss it so far, and looks like Sexton will play. He has no reason to bench him, it's not like it will reduce their penalty in the future. If they vacate the win, who cares. They can still make the tourney this year.

I honestly hope Sexton does play. Because if we lose to Bama with that 18 points taken out of their lineup, it would look even worse for our tournament resume. And on the flip side, if we win against a team with Sexton (on the road, no less), it would be a much better win.

The line has dropped from Bama by 5.5 to Bama by 4. Is it possible somebody knows something about Sexton not playing?

Tusks

Bama is all in with their chips on the table.  They don't care, they are so arrogant they will play him and then fight their way out of any sanctions later.

They think they are invisible.

Quote from: tusked on February 24, 2018, 12:58:24 pm
Bama is all in with their chips on the table.  They don't care, they are so arrogant they will play him and then fight their way out of any sanctions later.

They think they are invisible.
Invincible or invisible?