Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article provides insight into a coach hiring inside the SEC

Started by Hogwild, October 20, 2017, 01:31:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

LSU travels to Ole Miss this weekend so the paper in New Orleans had an article on how Coach O was hired at Ole Miss.  Aside from being really interesting it breaks down the process, how the search committee was formed, who makes the final decision, how the interviews are conducted, coaches trying to get fire to keep buyout money.....  I figured some would be really like to read it. Sorry if it is on an incorrect board, it just seems a lot of what we discuss here is the focus of the article. 

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2de0f896-b546-11e7-9852-3ff524967dce.html

QuoteDid you know that school administrators spoke with former Florida and Illinois coach Ron Zook, then-San Francisco 49ers coach Dennis Erickson, then-Miami defensive coordinator Randy Shannon and, of course, Neuheisel? And that none of them actually turned the job down?

QuoteMichael Wallace covered the search for The (Jackson) Clarion-Ledger, tracking airplanes around the country and popping in at the small airport in Oxford at odd times of the night.

"We were there when they got off the plane from L.A.," said Wallace, now a senior editor for Grind City Media, the Memphis Grizzlies' internal media wing. "Orgeron rolled down the window of the car and waved at us."

Quotehas moved into the No. 2 spot among most-hated men in this city, Yates claims. No. 1 is another former coach who sued Ole Miss and settled out of court, and No. 3 is the coach at in-state rival Mississippi State.

"He's between Houston Nutt and Dan Mullen as far as what kind of welcome he'll get in Oxford

Quote"The money and facilities are so much better that nobody treats it as, 'It's really hard to win there,'" Godfrey said. "I talk to agents and stuff throughout college football, and they say, 'Hey, it's a top 20-paying job, and you have nice facilities.'"

But what program has gone through so many highs and lows over the past two decades? The Rebels have had seven losing seasons in the past 14. They've won nine games or more in five of the seven winning years.