Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sell out to stop the run

Started by Bacon_Bitz, October 19, 2017, 02:31:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

the team is going to have to come up with something new and creative that auburn isn't expecting to stop their run game.  going to have to leave a lot of corners and a safety in one-on-one matchups with WRs. but you got try to do whatever you can to stop the run. run blitz towards some auburn tendencies early. stack the box. something's going to have to change or it's going to be a long, long night.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

The way to stop Auburn's run game is and always has been to play assignment football.  Get out of position and they will roast you, which means the Hogs are doomed because some of our defenders have a proclivity for getting out of position on the simplest of run plays, which is bad because all of Auburn's run plays are simple. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodrow hog call

I want to blitz someone from one side or the other every snap, I would have them trying to blow up the mesh point between the QB and RB. I haven't watched them much this year but, I would guess about 80% of their snaps will have that look, I want the QB hit every time he sticks in the RB's gut.

Get a turnover or two and shake things up a little.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 19, 2017, 02:46:47 pm
They are very capable passing as well, sure Gus is prepared.
LOL. Not if you hit Stidham even once.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2017, 02:41:34 pm
The way to stop Auburn's run game is and always has been to play assignment football.  Get out of position and they will roast you, which means the Hogs are doomed because some of our defenders have a proclivity for getting out of position on the simplest of run plays, which is bad because all of Auburn's run plays are simple. 

You don't understand Auburn's offense.

But you're right.  Defending the read option requires discipline.  Arkansas had little of that last year defensively.  They have improved in that respect this year, but not enough. 

Playing assignment football and blitzing are not mutually exclusive.  The Hogs are going to have to bring the secondary up for run support no matter what to have a chance to beat Auburn.  If they play with discipline that's certainly possible.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

onebadrubi

Set the edges!  Stay home!  Don't over pursue! 

Our issue last year is our DE's over pursued the fake and allowed a RB (who is faster and more illusive than the DE and OLB) to run around them. 

We do have a blessing in I believe Auburn is down a starting OT and starting center, so hopefully we can blow some things up in the backfield.  If our LB'ers over pursue and get swallowed up in the trenchers, it will be a long day!  Ramsey, Greenlaw, and Harris should have massive days if they stay home. 

lakecityhog

This would be the game to mix in some 4-3 type bodies at the OLB spots! I agree with Bitz, look to play 1on1 in the passing game and DO NOT LET THOSE RUNNING BACKS GET UP A HEAD OF STEAM!!!

We need to meet them as close to the LOS as possible and whoever is taking the QB has to hit him in the mouth EVERY single play!!! Tackle him to the ground on every fake and every hand-off, BB should tell the refs before the game that we plan to tackle the QB every time he runs or fakes to run with the football.

Sed76

They don't run anything overly complicated.

David†

Quote from: Sed76 on October 19, 2017, 09:44:42 pm
They don't run anything overly complicated.

I agree. I can't figure out why D coordinators can't figure it out. They all look like a slow developing triple option. Blows my mind.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2017, 02:41:34 pm
Quote from: onebadrubi on October 19, 2017, 05:41:30 pm
Set the edges!  Stay home!  Don't over pursue! 

Our issue last year is our DE's over pursued the fake and allowed a RB (who is faster and more illusive than the DE and OLB) to run around them. 

We do have a blessing in I believe Auburn is down a starting OT and starting center, so hopefully we can blow some things up in the backfield.  If our LB'ers over pursue and get swallowed up in the trenchers, it will be a long day!  Ramsey, Greenlaw, and Harris should have massive days if they stay home. 

Totally agree with both of these points.  But the issues can be corrected.  Stay home and do your job.  The DEs have to stay on the line and not allow tackles to run them up field opening the B&C gaps and the LBs have to play their assignments and allow the line to funnel he RBs to them.  Over pursuit (ie play #1 vs Bama) leads to big plays on the backside.  That is Auburn's way.   Dre and Scoota have to stay in position on the inside and the OLBs have to play lateral to the line, not vertical.  TJ and Sosa have to hold the tackles in place.  Don't penetrate, contain and stay home.  If they go upfield the holes open and they can't afford that.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

elksnort

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 19, 2017, 02:47:00 pm
I want to blitz someone from one side or the other every snap, I would have them trying to blow up the mesh point between the QB and RB. I haven't watched them much this year but, I would guess about 80% of their snaps will have that look, I want the QB hit every time he sticks in the RB's gut.

Get a turnover or two and shake things up a little.
Might as well take these risks every once in awhile, but I do agree about the assignment defense as the main stay.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: David† on October 19, 2017, 09:47:14 pm
I agree. I can't figure out why D coordinators can't figure it out. They all look like a slow developing triple option. Blows my mind.
D Coordinators don't play the game.  Kids with undisciplined eyes and bodies pumping adrenaline do. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:55:35 pm
You don't understand Auburn's offense.

But you're right.  Defending the read option requires discipline.  Arkansas had little of that last year defensively.  They have improved in that respect this year, but not enough. 

Playing assignment football and blitzing are not mutually exclusive.  The Hogs are going to have to bring the secondary up for run support no matter what to have a chance to beat Auburn.  If they play with discipline that's certainly possible.

Their plays are simple at the point of attack. They look complicated due to all the motion.

I never said assignment football removed blitzing, everyone on a blitz has an assignment just like any other play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RT1941

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 19, 2017, 02:46:47 pm
They are very capable passing as well, sure Gus is prepared. 
Put any pressure on Stidham and he caves.  Their WRs are talented but not consistent and Gus will run it up the middle 80% of the time on 1st downs.  They are a very predictable offense when Gus chooses to pull the reigns away from his OC, which he does with regularity.

Gus is terrified of interceptions, that's why he will throw the long bomb.  If it's intercepted, it's far enough down the field that he doesn't risk a pick-six and it's no worse than the punt that would have followed an incomplete pass, he feels like he's breaking even.  He doesn't like to throw across the middle for fear of a pick-six.  So they have no short routes, or intermediate passing game and rarely ever utilize the TE position.  They will establish the running game and go for the long ball passes.
RazorTusk!!!!

Hog Fan...DOH!

The one guy that really did a nice job against that offense was Willie freakin' Robinson. 

Except against Cam... but, that was Cam.

Sed76

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on October 20, 2017, 09:14:19 am
The one guy that really did a nice job against that offense was Willie freakin' Robinson. 

Except against Cam... but, that was Cam.

As much as we all groaned about Willie's defense it was miles better than what we have seen the last 2 years.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2017, 09:06:14 am
Their plays are simple at the point of attack. They look complicated due to all the motion.

I never said assignment football removed blitzing, everyone on a blitz has an assignment just like any other play.

You think running the ball up the middle is simple.  That's where all read option based offenses start. It doesn't matter what you call it - Wing T, belly series, wishbone, flexbone, spread, RPO - all that changes are the formations and pre-snap motion.

You love to ridicule Arkansas fans for panting for a passing game. It takes you back to Hatfield. Guess what?  Passing schemes are not necessarily any more complicated than read based offenses. Every offense requires the QB to make post snap decisions under pressure.

Have you ever, even once, in game conditions under pressure, taken a snap and ridden it in a RB's belly while you read defensive keys to determine whether to leave the ball with the RB or pull it and then go to your next read?  Have you then made the next read to either run yourself, give the ball to another running back or throw it downfield?  Standing around in stripes and watching someone else do it doesn't count. If you've ever tried it let us know how simple an offense that requires the QB to do all those things is, not to mention all the other players who have to execute their assignment and be ready for whatever the QB does.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Sed76 on October 20, 2017, 10:19:53 am
As much as we all groaned about Willie's defense it was miles better than what we have seen the last 2 years.

Willie could not field a first half defense.  He was possibly one of the biggest half time adjustment D.C.'s ive ever seen, but man first halfs for him were bad usually