Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB places blame on Petrino, JLS

Started by twistitup, October 19, 2017, 08:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

smb

GeorgiaHOG

ricepig

Quote from: smb on October 19, 2017, 08:29:28 am
And after 5 years whose to blame?
whoiskid is to blame, doesn't surprise me.....

widespreadsooie

Atlhogfan1

Truth

Doesn't excuse some of what has happened like so few olinemen signed from HS ranks to develop, mismanagement of oline or the second half implosions.

He made a mistake taking the job as he didn't know what he was getting into.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

navyhog24

If anything, Petrino's defensive recruits actually performed better than any of Bert's.

jgphillips3

Yep.  It sucks when a coach shows you can be top ten at Arkansas and an incompetent buffoon has to try to match that.

rhames

Has the rebuild been tougher than you thought? "Great question. I walked into the environment in Wisconsin and I already knew things. To walk into this situation, you want to have success in Year 1, whether it's X&O's, recruiting, etc. You miss landmines that could come up down the road. There are many different factors that come into it. All the drama to Petrino and the JL era, turned it into a tougher job. There's no one that wants to be positive these days, everyone wants to be negative. I'm excited, we just need to win games."

Man what a weird time to use that excuse.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 08:26:26 am
....they made Arkansas a tougher job

Challenges turning around the Ark program

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-reveals-biggest-challenge-turning-around-arkansas-football/

I gotta believe Penn State might have been a tougher turn around than Arkansas.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

The Boar War

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 08:26:26 am
....they made Arkansas a tougher job

Challenges turning around the Ark program

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bret-bielema-reveals-biggest-challenge-turning-around-arkansas-football/

He was specifically asked about what made the rebuild tougher.  I'm sure following a scandal and a one year interim coach who did nothing for 6 months did make this a tougher job than it otherwise would be.  Of course he hasmade mistakes along the way but he's not going to admit to them at this point.  Every sound bite is an interview for his next job.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 19, 2017, 08:32:37 am

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9716482/ncaa-reduce-penalties-penn-state-regarding-jerry-sandusky-child-sexual-abuse-matter

No.  Sanctions were reduced significantly and their recruiting ability compared to most of the B1G allowed for a quick rebuild.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

gchamblee

You took that from the article? Really? I guess if you want to see something bad enough, you'll see it regardless.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 08:32:33 am
Has the rebuild been tougher than you thought? "Great question. I walked into the environment in Wisconsin and I already knew things. To walk into this situation, you want to have success in Year 1, whether it's X&O's, recruiting, etc. You miss landmines that could come up down the road. There are many different factors that come into it. All the drama to Petrino and the JL era, turned it into a tougher job. There's no one that wants to be positive these days, everyone wants to be negative. I'm excited, we just need to win games."

He answered a question. 

Tweeter

I think these statements he made tells me he's done at year end. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 08:36:17 am
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9716482/ncaa-reduce-penalties-penn-state-regarding-jerry-sandusky-child-sexual-abuse-matter

No.  Sanctions were reduced significantly and their recruiting ability compared to most of the B1G allowed for a quick rebuild.

Sanctions?  What about the scandal?  I'm pretty sure assaulting boys in the showers while the staff and admin covered it up is a bigger scandal regardless of sanctions.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jst01

I don't fault him for being honest. But he and his followers cant fault everyone else for being honest and realizing he just didn't have what it takes to turn the program around and win. He was on the verge, but didn't get it done.

DeltaBoy

He is realistic about his situation ,  The JLS issue and how Bobby left did make it harder for us to recruit.   He is coaching for his job the rest of the year.  A win Saturday would help him a ton.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 08:36:17 am

??

It was a child sex abuse scandal where former coaches went to prison and the Penn St fieldhouse and showers is where some of the crime occurred.....that is a bit more serious that a blonde, $$, and a motorcycle wreck

....but what do I know

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 08:40:46 am
He is realistic about his situation ,  The JLS issue and how Bobby left did make it harder for us to recruit.   He is coaching for his job the rest of the year.  A win Saturday would help him a ton.

It's his 5th year - kids don't even remember what happened with Petrino / JLS - they just see us failing NOW

Remember last Saturday? Recruits watch those games and they don't put a positive spin on it like fellow Hogville posters try to do.

If you were a recruit and were the CURRENT product on the field, would you want to come to Fayetteville?

AirWarren

We need faster kids. Period.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2017, 08:37:14 am
He answered a question. 

Very true. Bret is always open about some things, unless it's expectations at the beginning of the season.  Then it's full on coach speak.

He is in a hard place because he is being honest but when you're losing games it sounds like excuses.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Jim Harris

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 08:32:33 am

What does it even really mean? Sounds like a bunch of gobbledygook.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 08:43:47 am

He is in a hard place because he is being honest but when you're losing games it sounds like excuses.

This.

And, some "fans" refuse to see it.

rhames

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 19, 2017, 08:45:48 am
What does it even really mean? Sounds like a bunch of gobbledygook.

Oh I agree.

twistitup

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 08:43:47 am

Very true. Bret is always open about some times, unless it's expectations at the beginning of the season.  Then it's full on coach speak.

Or he could have used an honest approach coming in....."This is going to be a long term turnaround...we will get it done but there needs to be patience and time in allowing me to put a foundation in place"

Instead it was - I CAME TO WIN THE SEC....WE ARE NOT JUST GOING TO PLAY BAMA WERE GOING TO BEAT BAMA

He needs to read up on the Tom Herman approach at Texas

(notOM)Rebel123

Agree. I didn't take it as making excuses. What he stated was fact. But even with the "challenges", he has had time to right the ship.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

greenEGnHAWGS

HV once again lacks perspective of this interview. He was asked a bait question and he answered it. Let me shoe you how this works...

Reporter: "Bret, what made things harder than usual on you when you started?"

Bret: "—�— insert any answer —�—"

Reporter writes article entitled "Beileme BLAMES 'said reason' on Poor Record"
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Razorbackers

Anyone who says they didn't make it harder for him is kidding themselves.

If he thinks that excuse is going to carry water in year 5 when all his recruits are on the field, he's kidding himself.

twistitup

It looks petty at this point to bring up Petrino and JLS .....in year 5, even if answering a question.

Similar to T still bringing up O - just a bad look

Ham Ham Pigelow

Give the guy credit for being honest.  He wasn't necessarily making an excuse about the current state of the program.  He simply answered a question about the rebuild and the dealing with the perception challenges.  Which, let's be honest, our program had been a comedy of errors since about 2008.

rhames

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 08:47:15 am
Or he could have used an honest approach coming in....."This is going to be a long term turnaround...we will get it done but there needs to be patience and time in allowing me to put a foundation in place"

Instead it was - I CAME TO WIN THE SEC....WE ARE NOT JUST GOING TO PLAY BAMA WERE GOING TO BEAT BAMA

I'm not disagreeing with you but they just have 2 different personalities.

It's easy for all of us to look back on what was said after the fact and pick it apart.

Truth is Bielema and the Arkansas job just seem like they weren't meant to be married.

Razorbackers

I remember him being pretty candid about the expectations for that 2013 season.

Hogwild

O'Brien's teams didn't fall off the cliff, I believe he won 15 games the two years he was there.   Franklin took over, a team that had a winning % of 62.5, under the previous coach. Whoever replaces CBB will take over a team that has lost more games than they have won under the previous coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 08:40:47 am
??

It was a child sex abuse scandal where former coaches went to prison and the Penn St fieldhouse and showers is where some of the crime occurred.....that is a bit more serious that a blonde, $$, and a motorcycle wreck

....but what do I know

Obviously recruits haven't cared. The brand wasn't damaged to the point they couldn't recruit on a good level. When the NCAA gave back their scholarships so soon they weren't going to be down long. 

The players who stayed wanted to play for PS and were committed to the program.  We had a leaderless season which takes a culture change and a little time to get past.  Combine with our recruiting and it wasn't going to be a quick turnaround. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2017, 08:42:17 am
It's his 5th year - kids don't even remember what happened with Petrino / JLS - they just see us failing NOW

Remember last Saturday? Recruits watch those games and they don't put a positive spin on it like fellow Hogville posters try to do.

If you were a recruit and were the CURRENT product on the field, would you want to come to Fayetteville?

Quote from: AP85 on October 19, 2017, 08:42:23 am
We need faster kids. Period.

Surely they could see the opportunity for immediate playing time.

hoghearted

Instead of blaming the past, why doesn't he just take ownership of his mistakes?

I can see talking about the motorcycle fiasco in year 2 or 3, but year 5? Sounds like a lot of deflection.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

RagingHawgOn

So, if he had said it would take 6-7 years you would've been happy?  Hell no.  You would've lambasted the hire from day one.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 19, 2017, 08:39:47 am
Sanctions?  What about the scandal?  I'm pretty sure assaulting boys in the showers while the staff and admin covered it up is a bigger scandal regardless of sanctions.

What about it?  It is appalling they didn't suffer harsher consequences. But this is a flaw in the NCAA system. 

Recruits and the players who stayed weren't affected by it to the point it crippled the program.  A shame PS didn't get death penalty to put sports in the right perspective.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoghearted on October 19, 2017, 08:54:07 am
Instead of blaming the past, why doesn't he just take ownership of his mistakes?

I can see talking about the motorcycle fiasco in year 2 or 3, but year 5? Sounds like a lot of deflection.

He answered a question.

gchamblee

Quote from: hoghearted on October 19, 2017, 08:54:07 am

You didn't read the article I take it.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WilsonHog

I read somewhere this week that reasons for lack of success in year two sound like excuses in year 5.

Bottom line? Our job is not an easy one. It was made more difficulty by what Bret alluded to with Petrino and John L. Smith. Throw in the mix Bielema's football philosophy, which wasn't a great fit to begin with and is now being altered mid-stream, and you get his record at Arkansas and our present position.

MissippHog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 19, 2017, 08:37:00 am
You took that from the article? Really? I guess if you want to see something bad enough, you'll see it regardless.
I was thinking the same thing.  It's not like he isn't telling the truth.  The Petrino/JLS debacle did make it a tougher gig. 

HognotinMemphis

Sounds like Bret is excited. He used that word 5 or 6 times.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

smb

Coach BB Quote"Allen continues to make strides. He (did not practice) but he could (play) Saturday". He is really unreal as a coach.
GeorgiaHOG

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Why do you guys still take twistitup's threads seriously? Dude is a world champion level troll
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jkstock04

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on October 19, 2017, 08:50:06 am
Give the guy credit for being honest.  He wasn't necessarily making an excuse about the current state of the program.  He simply answered a question about the rebuild and the dealing with the perception challenges.  Which, let's be honest, our program had been a comedy of errors since about 2008.
Absolutely it was an excuse. Because of Bobby Petrino is why we suck this year. That's pretty much what he is saying.

What's interesting is one could make the argument that the more the Petrino recruits got recycled with his recruits the program continued its downward slide.

Razorback football is pretty neat these days. Gonna be a fun Saturday to watch Auburn smoke us into oblivion. Too bad Bielema doesn't have a 2007 version of Indiana to coach against and run the ball 100 times and pretend he's a football mastermind.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hoggish1

Why do you have to believe that?

98hogs

Placing his O -Line on the cover of the media guide a couple of years back and bragging about the O-Line recruits he was getting.  He owns this.  Suck it up buttercup!