prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Tsarcasm

D.J  Durkin
P.J Fleck
Brent Venables
Mike Leach
Jeremy Pruitt
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

pigtrino

Cotton

Hudspeth??? Are yall crazy?

Took over the strongest program in the Sunbelt in 2011

6 years in the sunbelt and SHARED (and vacated) the title one year. Finished 5th the last two years.

He's never been apart of a big program other than 1 year as an assistant at CowBell State.

This guy isn't even that successful in the Sunbelt and yall want him to come compete against SEC West?? Jesus.   
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: soooieman on October 10, 2017, 12:19:14 am
YES! Somebody else. Finally. Hudspeth is the most underrated coach out there. Also the most realistic that would take the job. Dude is a winner and has won on every level. Also, the high school coaches in Mississippi, Louisiana love him.
See my post above. 

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

go hogues

It will definitely be an up and comer this time around...and probably one that no one has heard of, once the pecking order makes its way down to us after the Notre Dame, A&M, Nebraska, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arizona State, UCLA and others have been filled. 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BILLYBOB

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

hogsanity

Quote from: widespreadsooie on October 09, 2017, 09:53:06 pm
Excellent point. The Norvell take is awful.

People are all over Norvell simply because they saw last Sat that Memphis scored 70. I think some of our fans just look for the team that scored the most points on a given weekend and that is the guy they think is the next great coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Johnson Ga TEch
Niumatalolo Navy
Elliot Ga St - wasc o oc and ol coach at South Car.

Mainly I just want one of these guys because of the epic meltdown that would happen here and on the call in shows.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Cotton on October 11, 2017, 08:20:42 am
Hudspeth??? Are yall crazy?

Took over the strongest program in the Sunbelt in 2011

6 years in the sunbelt and SHARED (and vacated) the title one year. Finished 5th the last two years.

He's never been apart of a big program other than 1 year as an assistant at CowBell State.

This guy isn't even that successful in the Sunbelt and yall want him to come compete against SEC West?? Jesus.   

You don't know what your posting about. ULL was not a strong program when he took them over. Hudspeth turned that program from a doormat to respectable program.  http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/ul_lafayette/article_9b28732c-6212-58de-884e-1bc67649ddab.html 

The man has built a program and recruited the areas that the UofA must recruit. Those connections are vital.

Wildhog

Jeff Long isn't hiring someone that had to vacate 22 wins for recruiting violations.  You might as well forget that.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

NaturalStateReb

1.  Mike Norvell--Memphis
2.  Bill Clark--UAB
3.  Neal Brown--Troy
4.  Scott Frost--UCF
5.  Frank Wilson--UTSA
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 08:33:18 am
People are all over Norvell simply because they saw last Sat that Memphis scored 70. I think some of our fans just look for the team that scored the most points on a given weekend and that is the guy they think is the next great coach.

Norvell is a good coach with Arkansas connections, so it's not at all illogical.  He's a young guy who's coached at Tulsa, Pittsburgh, and Arizona State and runs the kind of offense that can help make Arkansas successful.

If you don't hire him, there's a reasonable chance you'll be coaching against him soon.  He's not going to stay at Memphis very much longer.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:10:52 am
Norvell is a good coach with Arkansas connections, so it's not at all illogical.  He's a young guy who's coached at Tulsa, Pittsburgh, and Arizona State and runs the kind of offense that can help make Arkansas successful.

If you don't hire him, there's a reasonable chance you'll be coaching against him soon.  He's not going to stay at Memphis very much longer.

I am not saying not to hire him, but there is not much there as a HC to base that decision on. HE went 8-5 last year with a team Fuentes built. They are 4-1 this year, beat UCLA then got kicked like a rented mule by UCF. Using Hogville logic we really should be after Scott Frost from UCF, the team that beat Memphis. But neither of those guys has a head coaching history as both started their 1st HC jobs for the 2016 season.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 09:21:47 am
I am not saying not to hire him, but there is not much there as a HC to base that decision on. HE went 8-5 last year with a team Fuentes built. They are 4-1 this year, beat UCLA then got kicked like a rented mule by UCF. Using Hogville logic we really should be after Scott Frost from UCF, the team that beat Memphis. But neither of those guys has a head coaching history as both started their 1st HC jobs for the 2016 season.

Scott Frost will likely be a hot commodity at the end of the year.  UCF went 0-12 (OH AND TWELVE) in 2015.  Last year, Frost took them to a bowl.  This year, they're 4-0 so far.  There's a lot to like there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 09:25:53 am
Scott Frost will likely be a hot commodity at the end of the year.  UCF went 0-12 (OH AND TWELVE) in 2015.  Last year, Frost took them to a bowl.  This year, they're 4-0 so far.  There's a lot to like there.

Conventional wisdom says he is destined for Nebraska as he is a Cornhusker alum.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 09:29:59 am
Conventional wisdom says he is destined for Nebraska as he is a Cornhusker alum.

Probably, but I hope we at least make the call.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dan42AR

I think Les Miles will be on the short list. I don't know who else will be in there with him but I could also see Skip Holtz getting a shot at it too. Yeah I know that others have brought up what a lot of people on here see as better coaches but do we really have a shot at getting one of them? More than anything right now I would like to know that we will for sure be bringing in a new head coach.

dc10x5555

Cotton

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 09:00:26 am
You don't know what your posting about. ULL was not a strong program when he took them over. Hudspeth turned that program from a doormat to respectable program.  http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/ul_lafayette/article_9b28732c-6212-58de-884e-1bc67649ddab.html 

The man has built a program and recruited the areas that the UofA must recruit. Those connections are vital.
2008 and 2009 they were 6-6 had a bad year in 2010 and brought in Hudspeth. I should've said they were second most stable to Troy. The next 6 years even with cheating he was unable to win the oh so powerful sunbelt. 

Lafayette is one of the easiest places to recruit in the Sunbelt and you claim he's this great recruiter yet they can win the lowest league in FBS?

He got embarrassed by Malzahn on his home field.

Coming off back to back losing seasons and 5th place Sunbelt finishes and you think he's the hot commodity?

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ur

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 10, 2017, 06:07:09 pm
People need to realize how rare it is that a sitting P5 coach leaves for another P5 program.  Look at the recent SEC hires for proof, out of all the SEC hires in the last 5 or 6 years BB was the only one. So you can put Fleck, Brohm, or Fuente on your list but they aren't leaving their current jobs after 1 or 2 years for Arkansas.  Leach is the only one I would even give a small % chance of leaving WSU because it's an outpost, but that seems to be where he thrives since Lubbock was the outpost of the B12

Here are the only P5 to P5 I can think of in the last 5 years.

Bielema to Arkansas (about to get fired)
Mike Riley from OSU to Nebraska (about to get fired)
Gary Anderson from Wisconsin to OSU (just quit)
Paul Cryst from Pitt to Wisconsin (doing well)
James Franklin Vandy to Penn State (doing well).  Vandy is basically a G5 level program in terms of ceiling.

Now here are some of the non P5 hires from the past few years.

Texas: Tom Hermann, G5 HC
USCw: Clay Helton, Coordinator
Georgia:  Kirby Smart, Coordinator
Florida: Jim McElwain, G5 HC
Virginia Tech:  Fuente, G5 HC
Purdue:  Jeff Brohm G5 HC
Miami:  Mark Richt, fired P5 HC.
USCe:  Will Muschamp Coordinator
Washington: Chris Petersen G5 HC
NC State:  Dave Doeren G5 HC
Michigan:  Harbaugh NFL HC
Tennessee:  Butch Jones, G5 HC
ND:  Brian Kelly, G5 HC
Kentucky:  Mark Stoops Coordinator
Auburn:  Gus Malzahn, G5 HC
Vandy:  Derek Mason Coordinator
Totally agree with you except for Brohm and maybe Fleck. Purdue and Minn aren't destination jobs. Brohm is my #1, don't care much for Fleck. Purdue was described last year as the hardest job in div 1. They are spending some money but I don't think they expect to keep him. He is guaranteed $18 million though. His buyout drops from $5.9 mill to $4.9 mill after Dec 5. My biggest fear is that Louisville is his dream job and he would move from ark to Louisville when that job opens. He runs a Petrino system without all the baggage. He communicates well. He will not stay at Purdue long.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:10:52 am

Thank you.

Pork Ranger

How about Dream Team:

HC: Leach
DC: Butch D
DL: Orgeron

Keep Smith and Lunney

With Leach im not too concerned with the offensive hires, just get guys who can 'cruit!

DLUXHOG

1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Barry Switzer
enough said.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Cotton on October 11, 2017, 09:55:29 am
2008 and 2009 they were 6-6 had a bad year in 2010 and brought in Hudspeth. I should've said they were second most stable to Troy. The next 6 years even with cheating he was unable to win the oh so powerful sunbelt. 

Lafayette is one of the easiest places to recruit in the Sunbelt and you claim he's this great recruiter yet they can win the lowest league in FBS?

He got embarrassed by Malzahn on his home field.

Coming off back to back losing seasons and 5th place Sunbelt finishes and you think he's the hot commodity?

Didn't say he was a hot commodity. Posted that he was the right guy for the job. I post this for several reasons:

1st, He has built a program and knows how to deal with adversity that comes along with it. That above all else is need for the UofA. CBB mouth and ego has done a lot of damage.

2nd, Recruiting. He is familiar and very well connected in the recruiting regions that Arkansas prizes most. Going forward for Arkansas must look at that.

3rd, Coaching style. He is very much a players coach and motivator.  He runs a modern spread option style. Which should give us a chance to compete and win every week.

4th, Standard. If it was acceptable for CBB to win 6-8 games each season. As long as the team looked competitive. Then why can't we apply those same standard to someone else. With Hudspeth's connections and play style. Maybe we can move the standard form 6-8 wins to 7-9. That may sound silly, But that is expecting to win against 3 SEC teams each season. Which seems to currently be a mountain of a task.

Cotton

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 11:20:31 am
Didn't say he was a hot commodity. Posted that he was the right guy for the job. I post this for several reasons:

1st, He has built a program and knows how to deal with adversity that comes along with it. That above all else is need for the UofA. CBB mouth and ego has done a lot of damage.

2nd, Recruiting. He is familiar and very well connected in the recruiting regions that Arkansas prizes most. Going forward for Arkansas must look at that.

3rd, Coaching style. He is very much a players coach and motivator.  He runs a modern spread option style. Which should give us a chance to compete and win every week.

4th, Standard. If it was acceptable for CBB to win 6-8 games each season. As long as the team looked competitive. Then why can't we apply those same standard to someone else. With Hudspeth's connections and play style. Maybe we can move the standard form 6-8 wins to 7-9. That may sound silly, But that is expecting to win against 3 SEC teams each season. Which seems to currently be a mountain of a task.
1. Program is worse shape now then when he took over. This is also the guy that brags about how many times he benches 225lbs to feed his own ego.

2. ULL and Troy are too easiest recruiting spots in his league, I'll take your word on the connections though.

3. "Player's coach" is overplayed. Also, he is struggling to compete against the likes of Troy, stAte, GSU, App St, USA.

4. Bert's resume was twice what Huds resume is and look where that has us?

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

swinemaster

1.  Leach
2.  Leach
3.  Leach
4.  Leach
5.  Leach

He would kill for a shot at the SEC.  Fayetteville, AR is the epicenter of the Universe compared to Pullman, WA.  I've been there.  And they can't compete with us financially.

texas tush hog

Quote from: The Pocahontas Porker on October 09, 2017, 09:42:59 pm
coaches that you would be supportive of to replace Coach B.

1.  Mike Leach...................Washington State
2.  Mike Norvell.................Memphis
3.  Gary Patterson.............TCU
4.  Mike Gundy..................Oklahoma State
5.  Justin Fuente................Virginia Tech

Patterson and Fuentes will not come and Gundy is playing us.

texas tush hog

hogsanity

IF the time comes I want either someone who has done what they are doing at their current job on their own, not with some other coaches players or I want someone that has never been a HC before. I do not want to get taken in by what coach so and so is doing with players he did not recruit. Sure, he may be coaching them up, or he may just be reaping the befits of a guy who was recruiting well, and just did not get to see it through.

ipigsooie

I dont understand this thinking?  How many coaches leave really good programs they have built up to come to a school like Arkansas?  Good thing that Georgia, USC, Florida State, and many other schools would not have hired the really good and successful coaches that they currently have (all coordinators).  You want to eliminate Norvell because he has only been at Memphis for two years and these arent "his players?"  How long was Malzahn at Arkansas State?  How long did Urban Meyer coach at Bowling Green, and then Utah?  Coaches like this arent going to stay at a school for more than 2 years.  This isnt 1974 and I like that someone said he will be coaching against us in the future if we dont hire him.  I agree!  Keep thinking we will get someone who has built a program from the ground up and been there for years.  You will be dissappointed.  Also, by the same logic that Norvell is winning with Fuente's players, couldnt you say that Fuente is only winning with Frank Beamer's players?  Also didnt Fuente actually keep part of the coaching staff from VT?

HotlantaHog

Quote from: dc10x5555 on October 11, 2017, 09:41:07 am
1.  gus  2.  gus   3.  gus
Compared to most of the other names listed a big YES

1. Best offensive coordinator in Arkansas history and one of the best in the SEC ever.
2. Led Auburn to national championship (yeah I know Cheesehead was officially the coach).
3. Wide open offense has a better chance of winning at a school that has trouble recruiting like Alabama.
4. Arkansas background, great respect among high school coaches everywhere.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Cotton on October 11, 2017, 11:33:06 am
1. Program is worse shape now then when he took over. This is also the guy that brags about how many times he benches 225lbs to feed his own ego.

2. ULL and Troy are too easiest recruiting spots in his league, I'll take your word on the connections though.

3. "Player's coach" is overplayed. Also, he is struggling to compete against the likes of Troy, stAte, GSU, App St, USA.

4. Bert's resume was twice what Huds resume is and look where that has us?

Addressing your points.

1a, I disagree that its in worse shape. Its only in that condition because of the NCAA investigation.  Coming out of that investigation he still was able to take ULL to a bowl game last season

1b, I agree that he can come off as a meat head football coach. But him and his wife are body builders. So that kinda goes with the territory.

2, I don't consider Lafayette a easy place to recruit to. There are 5 FBS programs in the state of Louisiana, and everyone that can recruits that state.  Also, ULL facilities weren't and still aren't as good as most other programs in the state.

3, I agree with that. Players coach is overplayed. But I wouldn't call it struggling. In 2014 they went 9-4, 2015 4-8, 2016 6-7. That's coming out of a NCAA investigation. I would consider that a solid performance under the circumstance.

Wildhog

Hawghiggs - you have a greater chance of being hired by Jeff Long than Mark Hudspeth.  Long would never even consider someone that's had to vacate 22 wins due to NCAA violations.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 01:07:02 pm
Hawghiggs - you have a greater chance of being hired by Jeff Long than Mark Hudspeth.  Long would never even consider someone that's had to vacate 22 wins due to NCAA violations.

You may be correct. But it was proven by the NCAA. That he had nothing to do with it. It was a former Ole Miss assistant David Saunders.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 01:10:49 pm
You may be correct. But it was proven by the NCAA. That he had nothing to do with it. It was a former Ole Miss assistant David Saunders.

0% chance.
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Who knows. Is Long gone in this situation? If so that changes things

I like Norvell, Brohm, Chip, Kiffin, Venables and Schiano

I could also get behind re-treads Les Miles and Butch Davis. Heck maybe even Mack Brown at this point.

Someone who understands recruiting is the name of he game and knows how to do it at a high level.

CBB thought he could out develop the SEC. He was wrong.

ur

The pickings will be interesting. From betonline
Tennessee Head Coach - Start of 2018 Season
Chip Kelly    +325 
Jeff Brohm    +450 
Bobby Petrino    +450 
Mike Norvell    +750 
PJ Fleck    +800 
Bob Stoops    +900 
Tee Martin    +900 
Les Miles    +1000 
Jim Bob Cooter    +1800 
Dan Mullen    +1800 
Brian Kelly    +2500 
Peyton Manning    +10000 
Lane Kiffin    +10000 
Jon Gruden    +2000

gustofwind

Chris Klieman-NDS

You never see this guys pop up on coaching searching.  The guy can recruit, develop, and win.  And before the "it's FCS" crowd comes storming in, it's all relative.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 01:12:43 pm
0% chance.

Again. You may be correct. And that will be a shame. Because IMO. He is the type of coach that we need at Arkansas.

bkjbearcat

1. Scott Frost.
2. Willie Fritz
3. T. Martin
4. Adam Dorrel
5. Mike Leach
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

DLUXHOG

ChicoHog

October 11, 2017, 04:21:40 pm #143 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:29:29 pm by ChicoHog
Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 11, 2017, 12:56:21 pm
Compared to most of the other names listed a big YES

1. Best offensive coordinator in Arkansas history and one of the best in the SEC ever
2. Led Auburn to national championship (yeah I know Cheesehead was officially the coach).
3. Wide open offense has a better chance of winning at a school that has trouble recruiting like Alabama.
4. Arkansas background, great respect among high school coaches everywhere.
He was OC here for one year so that qualifies him to be "best Arkansas OC ever"?  Auburn does not runa a wide open offense.  they run a power running game out of the shotgun with mixed in RPOs and downfield "jump balls".  they recruit very well and usually in top ten of the country.  they have good lineman year after year mainly due to their recruiting ability.  I'm not saying he would not do a good job here but this is a much tougher job and would be as step down in most people's eyes.  No reason to come here unless he is on the hot seat and wants to leave. 

mutt

skip holtz done pretty good at la tech knows Arkansas  la. tex.

Roaringboar

Here's the thing......everyone says let's hire an up & comer.....well let's stop looking at other head coaches then and look for a very talented coordinator with maybe coaching experience at a lower level.....those coaches tend to work out the best, coaches who were head coaches first, struggled and went back to being a coordinator either because it meant getting paid more at a larger school or just to try and better learn the system.....my big example is Joe Moorhead from Penn State......now he was a coach at a smaller FCS school, Fordham, where he led the school to one of the biggest turnarounds in FCS history (He took a team that went 1-10 the year before to a 6-5 record) and then finished in the FCS top 20 every single year after that for three years when he then became Penn State's OC.......before he showed up to Penn State, Franklin had finished with 7 wins both seasons, but the season he showed up they won 11, including a Big 10 title and a Rose Bowl appearance, and this season they are undefeated so far, mainly due to a surge by their offense.......he has skill, talent, and ability to develop talent into an elite level......Penn State had classes outside of the top 10 during both of Franklin's first seasons, but Moorhead was still able to help lead that offense to upset Ohio State, who would go onto the playoff last year........This is the type of coach we need rather than people like Holtz, Scott Frost, and Jeff Brohm.......yes they may be showing they are winning in places people didn't expect, but then again, they are still green at what they're doing....maybe it's time to give someone else a chance......whether we sign him or not, Moorhead is a guy to watch.......He'll be a head coach in the next three years for sure.......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

axharbor

Why all the mentions of Strong?  Wasn't him being lousy at TX enough?  I would be thrilled to never see that option at the UofA. Would I take him over BB, of course, but he would be far down my list.  At this point I'm about ready for anyone though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: axharbor on October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 pm
Why all the mentions of Strong?  Wasn't him being lousy at TX enough?  I would be thrilled to never see that option at the UofA. Would I take him over BB, of course, but he would be far down my list.  At this point I'm about ready for anyone though.

That's the ONLY place he hasn't succeeded at. Sometimes there just isn't the right fit. That was one for him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 11, 2017, 11:16:40 am
1. Jimmy Johnson
2. Barry Switzer
enough said.......

Don't laugh, but "bump" as either of these men have at least a few more years left in their tank.... and one of them could very well get Arkansas back to being notorious, vicious, competitors.....

Cotton

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 09:00:26 am

Your boy and his respectable program got throttled on national TV last night by Arkansas State.

47-3. Ouch.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX