Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outside of LSU/Mizz, who would you like to play every thanksgiving?

Started by Ben, August 06, 2017, 06:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

If you could pick any team outside of LSU and Mizzou to play on thanksgiving, conf or non-conf, who would you want?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

MuskogeeHogFan

Seriously, given our history? Texas? Which of course isn't going to happen.
Go Hogs Go!

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: Ben on August 06, 2017, 06:08:13 pm
If you could pick any team outside of LSU and Mizzou to play on thanksgiving, conf or non-conf, who would you want?

A&M

It should be them or LSU. 

ricepig

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Does it have to be an SEC school?  I'd say OU or Ok st.  They are close, bordering school, and many fans overlap which helps with rivalries.  Tulsa has close to as many hog fans as any other schools fans.  My first choice of the two mention would be Ok st. 

ricepig

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 08:15:22 pm
Quigley Stadium, let's go old school.

We can do a home and home between there and Crump..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2017, 06:09:49 pm
Seriously, given our history? Texas? Which of course isn't going to happen.

Old school. I like it.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jimmiewkersh

If not A&M then it has to be "Spit," texas "Spit."  Kicking their butts all over Thanksgiving weekend would make Christmas special every year. 

duck slayer

geauxhawgs

1) LSU
2) Texas
3) T&M
4) OU
5) OSU
6) Notre Dame
7) Arkansas State

geauxhawgs

Torqued pork

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hobhog

Moot point. SEC made our bed, and its in the back room by the water heater...........

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

August 07, 2017, 02:36:22 pm #21 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:08:46 pm by OS2 (SW) Razor Back
FAMU again and maybe the Cleveland Browns.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Murr

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 06:17:21 pm
Arkansas State

/thread

Reporting to mods for temporary banning.

1. LSU
2. Texas
3. Mizzou
4. Texas A&M
5. Oklahoma State
6. Ole Miss

Hugo Bezdek

1. Mizzou - Yes I can read, but this is who we're playing for the foreseeable future. This is a border rival. Give it time and it will develop. Plus I have family in Columbia.
2. LSU - Assuming there's another league shakeup and/or A&M adds Texas back to their schedule on Thanksgiving Day.
3. Texas - Not going to happen, but for old times sake. If Texas schedules an SEC member on turkey day it will be A&M.
4. OU - Assuming they jump to the SEC at some point without OSU.
5. Hawaii

Bacons Rebellion

Well, let's play Notre Dame every Thanksgiving for the next 50 years.

Arkansas Fan

I'm still pissed we're stuck with Missouri in some made up rivalry that will never happen. Nothing but an artificial "rivalry" the SEC threw us away with.

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

Hollywood870

Letsroll1200

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 07, 2017, 05:22:24 pm
I'm still pissed we're stuck with Missouri in some made up rivalry that will never happen. Nothing but an artificial "rivalry" the SEC threw us away with.

What rivalry do we have?  What rivalry do you want it to be?   We have no SEC rival right now.  Missouri doesn't either so why not be Mo.  Is it because they are kicking our butt right now. 

Come on guys we will only get a big game when we start beating teams in the SEC more than they beat us. Then teams will hate us, respect us and make us a rival. 

I am sure Mo. has about the same yawn with our game also.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Murr on August 07, 2017, 03:02:08 pm
Reporting to mods for temporary banning.

1. LSU
2. Texas
3. Mizzou
4. Texas A&M
5. Oklahoma State
6. Ole Miss

I heard they respond faster if you report to mods down in the poltics forum. 

Hogs-n-Roses

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 07, 2017, 07:50:47 pm
What rivalry do we have?  What rivalry do you want it to be?   We have no SEC rival right now.  Missouri doesn't either so why not be Mo.  Is it because they are kicking our butt right now. 

Come on guys we will only get a big game when we start beating teams in the SEC more than they beat us. Then teams will hate us, respect us and make us a rival. 

I am sure Mo. has about the same yawn with our game also.

I don't care for a rivalry with Missouri because Missouri simply doesn't interest me. Honestly, I don't really care if we have an official rival or not. I can also assure you that fans of other teams already do hate us and want to beat us, without being rivals, which is fine with me.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 07, 2017, 05:22:24 pm

Any "rivalry" in the sec with Arkansas was involved was going to be made up. All the rivalries in the sec were made long before the hogs joined.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Texas, Texas a&m need to play on TG weekend and we need LSU back.  It's that simple.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 07, 2017, 04:59:14 pm
1. Mizzou - Yes I can read, but this is who we're playing for the foreseeable future. This is a border rival. Give it time and it will develop. Plus I have family in Columbia.
2. LSU - Assuming there's another league shakeup and/or A&M adds Texas back to their schedule on Thanksgiving Day.
3. Texas - Not going to happen, but for old times sake. If Texas schedules an SEC member on turkey day it will be A&M.
4. OU - Assuming they jump to the SEC at some point without OSU.
5. Hawaii

Sorry just shootin ya strait....Missouri does absolutely nothing for 90% (or better) of our fan base. They should be playing KU period. 2.5 million+ of the 3 million people in Arkansas could give a damn about them. Never go there and rarely cross paths.

rzrbkman

I would rather the Hogs play on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, against Missouri.  That way more families can  get together for the Holiday, still attend the Hogs home game every other year and continue to develop a true rivalry game with a border opponent.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: geauxhawgs on August 13, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
Sorry just shootin ya strait....Missouri does absolutely nothing for 90% (or better) of our fan base. They should be playing KU period. 2.5 million+ of the 3 million people in Arkansas could give a damn about them. Never go there and rarely cross paths.

I don't buy that. I don't know how many Mizzou grads live in Arkansas, but I personally know a few in LR. Not as many as Ole Miss or A&M, but probably about the same as LSU (I think I know one Auburn grad). I do know we have three alumni chapters in Missouri (KC, St Louis and Springfield). I know when I was growing up most of the kids I knew rooted for Cardinal baseball. And how many people from Arkansas haven't been to Branson? I'd say plenty of people cross paths with Missouri. My sister went to UA and lives in Columbia. I have In-Laws that went to Mizzou and live in Fayetteville. What Mizzou doesn't have is a history with the SEC, same as us 25 years ago. You can't expect us to have a 100-year history with our rivals when we made the choice to leave that behind in the SWC. Now Mizzou has made the same choice. Same boat, same story. Personally, I think we benefit from having more step-children in the family besides us, so I'm willing to welcome Mizzou to the SEC and let this new rivalry marinate.

VBCHog

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 08, 2017, 10:02:52 am
Texas, Texas a&m need to play on TG weekend and we need LSU back.  It's that simple.

This. The Thanksgiving LSU game had become a rivalry. Then the SEC decided for us that it wasn't. That's how much the SEC commish thinks of us.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 14, 2017, 09:45:00 am
This. The Thanksgiving LSU game had become a rivalry. Then the SEC decided for us that it wasn't. That's how much the SEC commish thinks of us.

So rivalries are only played at Thanksgiving? We still play LSU. Every year.

AirWarren

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 14, 2017, 09:50:01 am
So rivalries are only played at Thanksgiving? We still play LSU. Every year.

No they aren't just played on Thanksgiving. But it is commonly known as rivalry weekend and had become a tradition of sorts to most hog fans. This acknowledgement by the media and the conference was important. Now its been viewed by the conference as just another divisional game.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 14, 2017, 11:07:48 am
No they aren't just played on Thanksgiving. But it is commonly known as rivalry weekend and had become a tradition of sorts to most hog fans. This acknowledgement by the media and the conference was important. Now its been viewed by the conference as just another divisional game.

So it never was really a rivalry game, it was only viewed by some as such because it was played on a certain weekend. The media said the LSu game was a rivalry game so that makes it so, but them saying Mizzu is a rivalry game means nothing?

I still fail to see the fascination of trying to force something to be a rivalry by Hog fans.

HamSammich

Hawaii and Bazzio has to make another creative 3000 lb trophy maybe out of a meteorite or something.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HamSammich on August 14, 2017, 11:14:42 am
Hawaii and Bazzio has to make another creative 3000 lb trophy maybe out of a meteorite or something.

Duh. Diamonds and Volcanic Rock in the shape of Arkansas and Hawaii. You've got to get your Bazz on if you're going to make it in the Rivalry Trophy business.

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 14, 2017, 09:24:23 am
I don't buy that. I don't know how many Mizzou grads live in Arkansas, but I personally know a few in LR. Not as many as Ole Miss or A&M, but probably about the same as LSU (I think I know one Auburn grad). I do know we have three alumni chapters in Missouri (KC, St Louis and Springfield). I know when I was growing up most of the kids I knew rooted for Cardinal baseball. And how many people from Arkansas haven't been to Branson? I'd say plenty of people cross paths with Missouri. My sister went to UA and lives in Columbia. I have In-Laws that went to Mizzou and live in Fayetteville. What Mizzou doesn't have is a history with the SEC, same as us 25 years ago. You can't expect us to have a 100-year history with our rivals when we made the choice to leave that behind in the SWC. Now Mizzou has made the same choice. Same boat, same story. Personally, I think we benefit from having more step-children in the family besides us, so I'm willing to welcome Mizzou to the SEC and let this new rivalry marinate.

Forget a history with the SEC, they have nearly ZERO history with us....Like EVER! Not saying I'm not willing to welcome Missouri into the SEC, I agree with you on that point. I just don't see the MAJORITY of our fan base rallying behind this game as a rivalry. I guarantee you we will travel better to BR than we will Columbia, Missouri any day, any time. It amazes me how many people comment on a forced rivalry with LSU when we're coming up on our 63rd (SIXTY THIRD) meeting and the amount of cajuns that have moved to Little Rock from North Louisiana FAR out number any other fan base I can PROMISE you that & from what I hear there is a good population that moved up to NWA after Katrina as well. Also just FYI, nearly everyone in the South & Midwest has been to Branson, on top of that the Cardinals are a national brand and literally have kids rooting for them around the country...just sayin that don't mean a damn thing. Hell, half of Missouri's two biggest cities (KC & STL) aren't even Mizzou fans just turn on the local nightly news next time your up that way.

I think this is gonna be a yawner MOST years around the house Thanksgiving weekend  no matter how many dollars they spend trying to hype it up like a rivalry. Bottom line is you cant argue what LSU, Texas or TAM would bring to the table that weekend we all know this STATE would literally be glued to the television.

Woo Pig Y'all