Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you get on board with this?

Started by Al Boarland, June 16, 2017, 09:25:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

I'm having a hard time agreeing with Nabors.

I don't think it matters how we go 7-5. If CBB doesn't have the personnel now to do what he wants to do he never will.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-razorbacks-predictions-football?utm_campaign=SF_Carvell_AJC&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Wildhog

Can't listen right now.  Cliff notes?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

WilsonHog

My first thought is that Nabors calls a 6-6 year "disappointing," 7-5 "mediocre," and a 8-4 season "great." So, the season comes down to a one or two-game margin for error, but it also defines what kind of program we have at present.

I do think Nabors is dead-on with his position that Arkansas fans really don't know what to expect. Last season, we were humiliated at Auburn but we crushed Florida at home. We looked very good in the first half against Missouri and Virginia Tech, and horrible in the second half of both games. The only consistency we had was our inconsistency.

So, a 7-5 prediction is "safe." Maybe one game better, maybe one game worse.

In terms of what it would take to really get Razorback fans in an uproar that Bielema needs to go (not that it would matter, given his buyout), I think that would take a losing season. Maybe even a season with no bowl.

Hogs-n-Roses

I ran the theory of the idea that 7-5 was just as acceptable as 10-3, 11-2 or no different(came from another active thread), cause there were no championships won, by everyone I saw for a couple of days and the answer was unanimous. A stupider thing has never been spoken. There were 3 Broyles-Mathews donors, 7 donors of much lower but equally important amounts and bout 15 or so who just go to an occasional game but watch all games on TV and plan their "fall solstice" around being ready to watch all games. My past level was a 2500 dollar donation,5 tickets to all home games and all that entails and 5 to away games. Usually bought 2 to WMS and 3-5 for bowl games. There were some bowl games where me n Porkerpower only went.

I have no Idea where they're getting this 7-5 number but makes me puke to think our fans ,any percent of them would be OK with this.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 09:49:40 am
I ran the theory of the idea that 7-5 was just as acceptable as 10-3, 11-2 or no different(came from another active thread), cause there were no championships won, by everyone I saw for a couple of days and the answer was unanimous. A stupider thing has never been spoken.

It's an incredibly stupid notion, and one that serves no other purpose than to further an agenda.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

If we go 7-5 but beat bama, he gets a pass
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

WilsonHog

I read a quote from Bielema this morning that I'm still trying to make sense of.

"If we had ended up 9-4, (the players) would be walking around like King Kong. Now, the guys are listening to us."

What is the proper translation there? That the perception within the program is that 9-4 is a "King Kong" season for us? That the players weren't listening before? That because they are now listening, we might be able to achieve that "King Kong" season of 9-4?   

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 16, 2017, 09:42:15 am
My first thought is that Nabors calls a 6-6 year "disappointing," 7-5 "mediocre," and a 8-4 season "great." So, the season comes down to a one or two-game margin for error, but it also defines what kind of program we have at present.

It defines the program as it has always existed. Even in the best years, except 1964, THE BEST YEARS have never been good enough to be at the top of the heap.
Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 09:56:25 am
It's an incredibly stupid notion, and one that serves no other purpose than to further an agenda.

What does 10 wins get you that 8 wins don't. And please do not say recruits. All I heard for a decade was " win games and they will come " then they went 21-5 and recruiting was no better, and possibly worse than average in the signing classes following 2010 and 2011.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 16, 2017, 10:02:09 am
What if Auburn or LSU or A$M beats us by 7 touchdowns and the others by 3 touchdowns and Bama has 4 losses.

Wildhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 16, 2017, 10:05:22 am
I read a quote from Bielema this morning that I'm still trying to make sense of.

"If we had ended up 9-4, (the players) would be walking around like King Kong. Now, the guys are listening to us."

What is the proper translation there? That the perception within the program is that 9-4 is a "King Kong" season for us? That the players weren't listening before? That because they are now listening, we might be able to achieve that "King Kong" season of 9-4?   

No joke.  He thinks the team wouldn't listen to them if they had gone 8-4 with a bowl win? 

I'm way past sick of his BS. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

Mizzou and VA Tech  got their attention?  They're now focused and determined to finish games?

hogsanity

What I read into that is that some of the players had stopped doing the things they were beig taught, thinking they were able to win games their way, and the collapse in the Mizzu game and the VT game brought them back to reality.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:06:30 am
It defines the program as it has always existed. Even in the best years, except 1964, THE BEST YEARS have never been good enough to be at the top of the heap.
What does 10 wins get you that 8 wins don't. And please do not say recruits. All I heard for a decade was " win games and they will come " then they went 21-5 and recruiting was no better, and possibly worse than average in the signing classes following 2010 and 2011.

Just stop.  No one agrees with you.  It was a stupid thing to say.  Just move on.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

June 16, 2017, 10:12:20 am #13 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:31:02 am by Al Boarland
Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 09:29:01 am
Can't listen right now.  Cliff notes?

Basically, 6-6 is meh and 8-5 is great.  7-5 and you have to look at how the games were won and lost. 

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:07:42 am
No joke.  He thinks the team wouldn't listen to them if they had gone 8-4 with a bowl win? 

I'm way past sick of his BS. 

It's coach speak, nothing more, nothing less.

rhames

They are just words he says. Just like after the first time we lose we will hear how people showed up late to meetings. Blah blah blah

Over it.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:08:19 am
Just stop.  No one agrees with you.  It was a stupid thing to say.  Just move on.

Just as your answer was nothing, winning 10 gets a program nothing more than winning 8. Now it may let the fans beat their chest a little more, but it gets the program nothing.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:16:12 am
Just as your answer was nothing, winning 10 gets a program nothing more than winning 8. Now it may let the fans beat their chest a little more, but it gets the program nothing.

Hey man, no one is stopping you from believing that.  Just quit trying to convince us of that nonsense.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

There is a simple way to get what some of you seem to so desperately want, a new coach, quit donating, quit buying tickets, and quit supporting the program. But you won't because then you could not brag about your donation level or how long you've had the same seats. These same discussions were had a decade ago.

Hogs-n-Roses

In the famous words of Ned Pepper."Mighty thin Rooster,Mighty thin!"

Grag T

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 16, 2017, 10:02:09 am

Hell if he went 4-8 but beat Bama he would get a pass.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:18:04 am
There is a simple way to get what some of you seem to so desperately want, a new coach, quit donating, quit buying tickets, and quit supporting the program. But you won't because then you could not brag about your donation level or how long you've had the same seats. These same discussions were had a decade ago.

I won't because I'm a hog fan.  My only agenda is that I want us to win more games.  I don't care what coach does it.  CBB, a new coach, whatever.  Just win more.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:20:07 am
I won't because I'm a hog fan.  My only agenda is that I want us to win more games.  I don't care what coach does it.  CBB, a new coach, whatever.  Just win more.

Agreed.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hogsanity

Fine, win more, and still put nothing new in the trophy case. But then the fans can say " yea, we won 9 last year, and with a couple breaks we could have won 10 or even 11 " if that does it for you, great.

hogsanity

Does it not stand to reason, if you are a Hog fan, and you feel the current coach is not best for the program, that you would do whatever you could to facilitate getting a new coach, even if that meant stopping your support?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Grag T on June 16, 2017, 10:18:58 am
He's got a built in pass no matter what and someone will be along shortly to remind you so. And to address that regurgitation, we all know that. Its not even argued. And the statement "He's goin nowhere is not even an answer, cuz once again we know that.

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:22:18 am
Fine, win more, and still put nothing new in the trophy case. But then the fans can say " yea, we won 9 last year, and with a couple breaks we could have won 10 or even 11 " if that does it for you, great.

Better than the last few seasons.

Wildhog

Yeah, that does it for me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:23:47 am
Does it not stand to reason, if you are a Hog fan, and you feel the current coach is not best for the program, that you would do whatever you could to facilitate getting a new coach, even if that meant stopping your support?

I never stop supporting them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

go hogues

It's going to be tough to get to 7-5 this year with road games at Texas A&M, Alabama, South Carolina, Oxford and Baton Rouge. Couple that with major questions at receiver and RB and a defense that will likely be improved but just how far can the worst defense in the SEC rise in just one offseason?

My money is on 6-6.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RME

What was the context or question around that quote? I really wish I hadn't seen that because that's annoying.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Grag T on June 16, 2017, 10:18:58 am
I started to say this, but I wanted to see if anyone else would lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hogs-n-Roses

Average 7-5 over 10 years and your 70-50. Average 11-2 over 10 years and your 110-20. With or without a championship one of any kind I have 40 more happy Saturdays and 30 less miserable ones and yes I get miserable for a while when we lose.

gchamblee

If you read what FOTH has been saying, in the last 2 games of the season last year the coaches were watching the players implode and yelling at them, imploring them to just do what they have been coached to do. Obviously, they didn't. I think he is saying that trying to talent their way through a game isn't going to cut it, and those fundamentals that they have been getting drilled into their heads are pretty important. The players are understanding now that they have to take practice into the game. That is how I interpreted it anyway.

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 10:32:49 am
If you read what FOTH has been saying, in the last 2 games of the season last year the coaches were watching the players implode and yelling at them, imploring them to just do what they have been coached to do. Obviously, they didn't. I think he is saying that trying to talent their way through a game isn't going to cut it, and those fundamentals that they have been getting drilled into their heads are pretty important. The players are understanding now that they have to take practice into the game. That is how I interpreted it anyway.

What were the coaches doing during the first 10 games?

What did they do the week of the Florida game? That should be every week.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 10:31:18 am
yes I get miserable for a while when we lose.

Why? Why does the outcome of what a group of 18-22 yr olds do on a football field have the ability to make you personally miserable?

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2017, 10:34:31 am
Wildhog is Al Davis? ???

I am Al Davis' brain connected to the internet.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:35:08 am
Why? Why does the outcome of what a group of 18-22 yr olds do on a football field have the ability to make you personally miserable?

Why do you post on a message board about said group?

Why do you care how others feel?

Wildhog

Knew it was coming.  Dude has more posts on a Razorback message board than I do and he's going to lecture someone on getting emotional about the outcome of Hog games.

Hilarious, really.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:23:47 am

Consider this post me trying to pull you back onto the fairway. You have gone far into the weeds and just keep swinging your club trying to make a brilliant shot, but it ain't happening. You usually play a pretty good game, just get back onto the fairway :)

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 10:37:45 am
Consider this post me trying to pull you back onto the fairway. You have gone far into the weeds and just keep swinging your club trying to make a brilliant shot, but it ain't happening. You usually play a pretty good game, just get back onto the fairway :)

PUNCH OUT, HS!

JUST PUNCH OUT.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on June 16, 2017, 10:24:04 am

Better than the last few seasons.

CBB has had some pretty enjoyable games for me, and some really depressing games. It hasn't been all bad regardless of how loud you scream it.

Grag T

It is possible that a lot of people's misery isn't so much about the team losing, but maybe more about having to hear loads of crap getting dumped on them by coworkers, friends, etc when the hogs suck.  Maybe, maybe not.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

WilsonHog

Most posters on here would identify me as a pretty vocal supporter of Bielema's over the past four years. Yes, to a point. I believe in fully supporting any coach who is not an outlaw for his first three seasons. After that, support flows from production.

Is there a distinction between 7-5 and 10-2? Hell, yes, and anyone who attempts to state a case otherwise is either (1) not knowledgeable about sports or (2) just trying to be a contrarian.

For me, the raw won/loss totals do not tell the whole story. Context matters. What I want to see this fall is:

(1) a Razorback team that is fundamentally sound - i.e., few penalties, few mental errors, tackle well, play techniques.

(2) a Razorback team that is all-in; 1st quarter or fourth, Florida A&M or Alabama, the effort is there. We look like we're excited about playing football. We're aggressive. On defense, we run to the football with multiple players involved in making tackles.

(3) a Razorback team that is consistent. No 56-3 losses where we look like a Division II team, followed two weeks later by dismantling the eventual SEC East champion. No games where we race to halftime leads, only to be outscored 21-0 and 35-0 in the second halves.   

If our football team is characterized by those three things, I can live with whatever our won-loss record is. I suspect, however, that it would be a pretty good one.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:26:23 am
I never stop supporting them.
There is a fine line here for me. I stopped supporting them financially and all the opinions can come in here. I feel it is the thing to do to help get rid of the current big ten regime running our school. I have earned that right to make that statement with many years of financial support, traveling to 8-10 games a year for what seems like forever and in different conferences. I followed through losing seasons, winning seasons n coaches I didn't like n coaches I liked and went to games many many times way off on the road knowing good n well it was gonna be a long sad drive home on Sunday. Felt like I had to draw the line somewhere. Others still pay n feel its the way to handle it. But they are in no way any more of  Hog fan than me.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 10:39:13 am
CBB has had some pretty enjoyable games for me, and some really depressing games. It hasn't been all bad regardless of how loud you scream it.

No doubt.  There have certainly been some enjoyable times.  Being at RRS for that '14 LSU game remains one of my favorite moments as a Hog fan.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 10:39:13 am

Did I say it has been all bad? What am I screaming?

Winning 10+ would be better than the last few seasons. Is that a true statement?

Wildhog

Quote from: Grag T on June 16, 2017, 10:39:42 am
It is possible that a lot of people's misery isn't so much about the team losing, but maybe more about having to hear loads of crap getting dumped on them by coworkers, friends, etc when the hogs suck.  Maybe, maybe not.

I would imagine it differs from person to person.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 10:39:58 am
There is a fine line here for me. I stopped supporting them financially and all the opinions can come in here. I feel it is the thing to do to help get rid of the current big ten regime running our school. I have earned that right to make that statement with many years of financial support, traveling to 8-10 games a year for what seems like forever and in different conferences. I followed through losing seasons, winning seasons n coaches I didn't like n coaches I liked and went to games many many times way off on the road knowing good n well it was gonna be a long sad drive home on Sunday. Felt like I had to draw the line somewhere. Others still pay n feel its the way to handle it. But they are in no way any more of  Hog fan than me.

You do you, man.  I'm not judging.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Wilson hog just summed up my feelings well