Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you see Arkansas winning an SEC title under Morris?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elviscat

Guys, we have the best chance since BP to really make an impact in the SEC. We, now will be able to recruit Texas, with coaches who are from that state and have been successful high school coaches. It's all about connections and we now have that, in Texas. BB, killed that link and it will now be open up to us again.Jerry Jones, handpicked CM for this position, he knows what is needed and we now have it.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 13, 2018, 09:57:19 pm
Dang...Eastex, Oldboonie, Starcs, I don't think I'll be tailgating with you guys the next 3 years.  :P

Lol. Don't get me wrong, I think ccm is already working harder than Bert ever did. But I just don't see him being the guy to turn the corner for us. Hope I'm wrong.

LZH

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2018, 09:32:18 pm
I think by the end of year three people on this board are going to be ready to jump out of windows.

I sure hope not.

Wait, what floor are we talking about?

Hogwild

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 12, 2018, 07:24:06 pm
Only 6 teams have won SEC titles since Arkansas joined in 1991 - Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU and Auburn. The same six won every title except 1 between 1963 and 1990. Kentucky won in 1976. So in 55 years, six teams have divided 54 titles.

Given that history, I'm not "confident" Arkansas will win an SEC title in my lifetime - but - we've won four division titles in 26 years and came very close in 2006, so it can be done.

I am confident of one thing - Arkansas is going to be a good football team under Chad Morris.

You make a good point, since 1963, only six teams have won the SEC.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Kentucky retroactively claims the SEC title in 1976, when then shouldn't.  UGA won the conference with a 5-1 conference record and had win over Kentucky (4-2).  Mississippi State a few years later was caught cheating and had to vacate their wins in the '76.   Kentucky lost to Mississippi State that year, so they claimed a title. Bama, Flordia, Mississippi State, all had 2 conference losses that season.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I had a dream just last night that we went into the SEC championship game and lost to UGA by 1 because we scored in the last second and went for two to win it rather than going for OT. OUR 12-1 record was good enough to start a meltdown on Hogville with about 6 dumbasses claiming we should fire Morris on the spot. If that were to really happen (the 12-1 record) Do y'all think that dude that bet me $1000 in the other thread would pay up?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 15, 2018, 11:13:39 am
I had a dream just last night that we went into the SEC championship game and lost to UGA by 1 because we scored in the last second and went for two to win it rather than going for OT. OUR 12-1 record was good enough to start a meltdown on Hogville with about 6 dumbasses claiming we should fire Morris on the spot. If that were to really happen (the 12-1 record) Do y'all think that dude that bet me $1000 in the other thread would pay up?

What did y'all bet on?

HiggiePiggy

We haven't won one yet in the SEC so sure I think he will win 5!!!!
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 13, 2018, 09:32:51 am
Auburn won it all the year we had Bama on the ropes - 2010.  Carry on...  ;)
It's my lie... Let me tell it how I want to. ;)
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: LZH on February 15, 2018, 11:54:56 am
What did y'all bet on?
That Morris would have Arkansas achieve a top 5 ranking ANYTIME within the next 5 years...

root_hawg

Well no one has done it yet so not a high probability

LRhawg926

Don't know if he will win one, but I think we will be in the hunt to get there. We'll get back to competing again like we were when Petrino was here.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

LJHOG

Perhaps, but he'll need to coach here a long time. 

GoHogs1091

Probably not as long as Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M are recruiting at the level they are recruiting.

Hawgphat

My crystal ball remains shrouded in obscuring clouds, and has been beset with that exasperating condition for quite some time now.  I have no basis upon which to boldly predict such a gratifying development as this thread invokes, - - but "hope springs eternal".

I am currently more expectantly upbeat about the potentially-impending upswing in Razorback football fortunes than I have been for quite some time.

I fervently hope that we have a legitimate shot at the brass ring on this upcoming new go-round; we certainly don't need another one of the fool's gold variety.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm
Are you confident that Morris will at least take Arkansas to an SEC Title game?

We will never win an SEC championship.  And I don't really see us making it to a title game either.

I am happy with the Morris hire, but all I am asking is for him to simply improve the program.  I'm not asking for "championships".

But if Morris can't kick it in gear in recruiting then he isn't going to do any better than Bielema.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 18, 2018, 06:39:18 pm
We will never win an SEC championship.  And I don't really see us making it to a title game either.

I am happy with the Morris hire, but all I am asking is for him to simply improve the program.  I'm not asking for "championships".

But if Morris can't kick it in gear in recruiting then he isn't going to do any better than Bielema.

Well.... aim for the stars, and maybe you'll hit the moon if you miss.... 
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Falco

Hogs are 2020 SEC Champs

This is the perfect storm.
An under the radar coach with a great work ethic, good recruiting ties, and blinders on.
But the most overlooked variable for success in our immediate future... the team spaces in the new facility. They're nothing short of spectacular. Keep this in mind when you see a couple head-turners in the 2019 class.

Rise Up.

liljo

Quote from: Falco on February 18, 2018, 09:47:23 pm
Hogs are 2020 SEC Champs

An under the radar coach with a great work ethic, good recruiting ties, and blinders on.
But the most overlooked variable for success in our immediate future... the team spaces in the new facility. They're nothing short of spectacular. Keep this in mind when you see a couple head-turners in the 2019 class.

Rise Up.

+1 from one newcomer to another.  Stay positive fellow Hogs fan.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 18, 2018, 08:50:36 pm
Well.... aim for the stars, and maybe you'll hit the moon if you miss....

And then you'll be perpetually p*$$ed because you didn't hit the stars.

As for me, I'm aiming for the moon and if/when we hit the moon, I'll be perfectly pleased by it.

DukeOfPork

Hogs are 2020 SEC Champs

Rise Up.

Until I see a dramatic improvement in our recruiting, I don't see any way that we will dramatically improve on the field. 

wildhogman

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 18, 2018, 10:51:22 pm
Until I see a dramatic improvement in our recruiting, I don't see any way that we will dramatically improve on the field. 

The only question I have is, who do you go by to judge level of recruiting talent?  Stars? committable offers?  offer list?
Stars are just a bunch of idiots trying to guess the talent level of 15 to 18 year olds.  The only thing they have invested is selling subscribtions. But hey, its easy, if sabin offers the kid must be a 5 star.
Offer list?  How do you know and/or prove which schools actually offered?
Commitable offers? again, how do you prove it?  I doubt Sabin or Meyers or any coach is going to admit publically that the offer is good IF plan A says no. 
So you basically take the opinions of a bunch of strangers who have nothing invested in the hogs. But have a lot invested in what ever service they work for.  Just curious because I have seen several make this claim about waiting to see if recruiting improves.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 12, 2018, 03:17:48 pm
Are you confident that Morris will at least take Arkansas to an SEC Title game?
I am going to see at least one season before I can get my hopes up that high
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

nchogg

Quote from: wildhogman on February 18, 2018, 11:08:28 pm
The only question I have is, who do you go by to judge level of recruiting talent?  Stars? committable offers?  offer list?
Stars are just a bunch of idiots trying to guess the talent level of 15 to 18 year olds.  The only thing they have invested is selling subscribtions. But hey, its easy, if sabin offers the kid must be a 5 star.
Commitable offers? again, how do you prove it?  I doubt Sabin or Meyers or any coach is going to admit publically that the offer is good IF plan A says no. 
So you basically take the opinions of a bunch of strangers who have nothing invested in the hogs. But have a lot invested in what ever service they work for.  Just curious because I have seen several make this claim about waiting to see if recruiting improves.

Very good analogy. Our team also need a desire to win again.

Deep Shoat

The way to see if recruiting improves is to look at wins and losses.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Ex-Trumpet

I just hope that the folks who hired him sees CM winning an SEC championship.  If not, he should never have been hired.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bphi11ips

A few things about recruiting:

You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows.  Alabama has recruited better than Arkansas for a century.  Yet Arkansas's record against Alabama was 7-8 between 1992 and 2006 (Alabama later forfeited its 1993 win).  Auburn and LSU recruit better.  We were 10-10-1 against Auburn our first 21 years in the SEC.  We are 10-16 against LSU since joining the SEC.  A&M is on its longest winning streak against Arkansas since the 30s, and we still hold a decisive edge in the series, but they've always been located in the middle of prime recruiting territory.  And three of the games in their current winning streak required OT.  A&M has finished high in the recruiting rankings since internet recruiting services generated an off-season sport, but we beat the Aggies three times straight since then.  If the game stopped at recruiting rankings, we wouldn't have beaten any of those teams, ever, much less as often as we have.

Arkansas's average recruiting ranking has been remarkably constant since 2002 at around 26, yet we somehow managed two SEC championship games and one top 5 finish in spite of our SOS.  Too many posters here are overcome by the doom and gloom of the past six years to understand that they are an anomoly for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Falco is right.  Recruits are impressed and swayed by facilities and crowds.  At the very highest elite level, they are looking for a path to the NFL, but the vast majority want to play in front of loud, large, enthusiastic crowds and train, practice, dress, live, study, and play in state of the art facilities.  Arkansas offers all of those, and it is about to get much better.  The Hogs should be no worse than 6-3 and on a three game winning streak when they host LSU for Senior Day 2018.  If so, that crowd will impress visiting recruits.  Putting aside the lackluster coaching of 2017, the schedule set up a perfect storm for disaster and fan apathy.  The 2018 schedule is the polar opposite.

I'm not wearing Razorback Red colored glasses or drinking Koolaid here.  Arkansas is about to be a program to be reckoned with.  Again. Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain ranking recruits.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Hogs are 2020 SEC Champs

Rise Up.

Nice Handle...

orvillesghost

No

Nothing personal against Morris, I don't believe it can be done under any coach here.

That's probably a bit too harsh, I think it extremely unlikely Arkansas can win the SEC.

DukeOfPork

Well, if a guy wanted to be thorough about it, he could go average the rankings from all of the different recruiting services and then examine offer lists (if your best offer is Arkansas State, the odds are that you simply do not have the talent of someone who has a scholarship to Alabama or UGA).

Or I could just log onto Hogville and have you blow smoke up my a-- about how this year's class is so loaded with overlooked diamonds in the rough that we're going to be in the SECCG within two years.

You're being pretty freaking obtuse about this discussion.  We were ranked DEAD LAST in recruiting in the SEC this year.  14th out of 14 teams.

Does that mean that there isn't a chance that this eventually turns out to be the 13th best team?  Or possibly 12th, 11th, or 10th?  Absolutely, we might end up being 10th.  But we sure as hell aren't in the Top 4 or 5 in the SEC with this class.  That is a fact and if you want to argue it, that's fine: but don't act all crestfallen when we're going 2-6 or 3-5 in the SEC the next few years.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: orvillesghost on February 19, 2018, 06:57:58 pm
No

Nothing personal against Morris, I don't believe it can be done under any coach here.

That's probably a bit too harsh, I think it extremely unlikely Arkansas can win the SEC.

Yeah, like I said, I like the Morris hire.  Let's give him some time to see what he can do.  But hell no, he is not going to win the SEC.  And I agree that almost no one could win the SEC here now. 

I think that if you put Saban here, he would probably make a run at Atlanta once within 5 years.  He might be able to do it.  But very few coaches could pull it off here.  This is a tough job.

wildhogman

February 19, 2018, 10:35:54 pm #131 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:02:41 pm by wildhogman
Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 19, 2018, 10:19:28 pm
Well, if a guy wanted to be thorough about it, he could go average the rankings from all of the different recruiting services and then examine offer lists (if your best offer is Arkansas State, the odds are that you simply do not have the talent of someone who has a scholarship to Alabama or UGA).

Or I could just log onto Hogville and have you blow smoke up my a-- about how this year's class is so loaded with overlooked diamonds in the rough that we're going to be in the SECCG within two years.

You're being pretty freaking obtuse about this discussion.  We were ranked DEAD LAST in recruiting in the SEC this year.  14th out of 14 teams.

Does that mean that there isn't a chance that this eventually turns out to be the 13th best team?  Or possibly 12th, 11th, or 10th?  Absolutely, we might end up being 10th.  But we sure as hell aren't in the Top 4 or 5 in the SEC with this class.  That is a fact and if you want to argue it, that's fine: but don't act all crestfallen when we're going 2-6 or 3-5 in the SEC the next few years.
Oh I wont be. If he wins TWO sec games his first year I will be thilled. Hell that's 200% better then bert.  But if he wins 5 or 6 or 7 in year four, expect some of us to start serving up crow.

Edit: As I usually do when I am curious, I went back and looked at your post history.  It was very interesting and telling that in 2006 you made such proclimations as, "we will never go 10-2".  "we wil lose one of ole piss, south Carolina".  How did those predictions work out?  I read enough to see your pretty much a defeatist. You think the war is over before it starts.  And because your so adamant once again I have even more hope for CCM. Thank you

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: orvillesghost on February 19, 2018, 06:57:58 pm
No

If Orville was alive he'd kick your arse...

How many Alabama coaches have never won an SEC championship..? Why didn't they? How about LSU? or Auburn? or UGA? there have been many teams and coaches go down in flames. We've had a bad run, but this school isn't handicapped. We will win and win big again because MOST of us expect to do so, and won't settle for less...

carolinahogger

Leave it to Hogville to take any thread, derail it, and then run 90 miles per hour with it.

The question was "Do you see Arkansas winning an SEC title under Morris?"  A poster doesn't think so.  So of course half of you need to pile on because he is not optimistic enough to suit you.

oldhawg

Quote from: carolinahogger on February 21, 2018, 10:45:25 am
Leave it to Hogville to take any thread, derail it, and then run 90 miles per hour with it.

The question was "Do you see Arkansas winning an SEC title under Morris?"  A poster doesn't think so.  So of course half of you need to pile on because he is not optimistic enough to suit you.

Well, the thing is, on Hogville "piling on" seems to go both ways. 

Right now it appears that the majority want to be optimistic about Morris, while those on the pessimistic side of the fence may be feeling like, well, like they are in a minority (which they are IMO).

A few weeks ago the majority of fans on HG were ready to lynch Bret Bielema, while those few who were in favor of giving him one more year caught holy hell for their opinions.

I guess the lesson is: Don't come to Hogville to express an opinion unless you have a thick skin and can take it as well as dish it out.

Enjoy the proceedings.

HF#1

If he can win 8 games this season, I could see him getting us a SEC title. Tall order though.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

311Hog

hard to do what has never been done, in the hardest place to do said thing.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: wildhogman on February 19, 2018, 10:35:54 pm

...I went back and looked at your post history.  It was very interesting and telling that in 2006 you made such proclimations as...

Is that a typo?  You actually looked through my posts from 11 years ago?  I'm flattered!   :D

AHiD

Quote from: thebigshot on February 21, 2018, 12:16:57 pm
How is Malzahn a awful head coach? IS it because he didn't come to Arkansas? Look what he has done at Auburn. You're an idiot to think that.

8-5 every year at AU where he's able to recruit much better. And NO, I was radically anti-Gus Bus from the start.
My name...is Jerruh

DukeOfPork

Quote from: carolinahogger on February 21, 2018, 10:45:25 am

Yeah, the original post should have been posed as a multiple choice question:

Do you think Morris will win the SEC championship?
a.) Yes
b.) Hell, yes
c.) Yes, every single year
d.) Yes, while eating a frito pie with a Red Bull chaser

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 21, 2018, 10:01:19 pm
Is that a typo?  You actually looked through my posts from 11 years ago?  I'm flattered!   :D

Your answer is yet why you struggle. You failed with your predictions in 06, yet you still spout defeatist drivel. You fail quite often except for generating posts. Maybe you're a hired troll. If so then you're doing fabulously..

DukeOfPork

Quote from: HF#1 on February 21, 2018, 12:17:36 pm
If he can win 8 games this season, I could see him getting us a SEC title. Tall order though.

If Morris wins 8 games in his first year here then I will absolutely be chugging the Kool Aid.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 21, 2018, 10:09:28 pm
Your answer is yet why you struggle. You failed with your predictions in 06, yet you still spout defeatist drivel. You fail quite often except for generating posts. Maybe you're a hired troll. If so then you're doing fabulously..

Well, I honestly don't remember my predictions from 2006, but if he had to go back 11-12 years to find where I missed on some predictions, then I'm doing pretty good.

I'm not a defeatist.  I used to drink the Kool Aid for years.  I would love to be proven wrong.

But I just have realistic expectations and that's not well received on Hogville. 

How have you been doing on your predictions in recent years?

TNRazorbacker

Not likely, and thats not a dig. I think Morris is absolutely the right kind of coach to be competitive here. I just think winning at that level given our disadvantages and the current environment is quite the hill to climb. Its harder than its ever been. The stars would really need to align just right for us. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on February 21, 2018, 10:20:23 pm
Not likely, and thats not a dig. I think Morris is absolutely the right kind of coach to be competitive here. I just think winning at that level given our disadvantages and the current environment is quite the hill to climb. Its harder than its ever been. The stars would really need to align just right for us. 

I agree 100%.

I like the Morris hire; not because I think he is the right coach, but because there is a chance that he "might" be the right coach.

But the Arkansas job just gets tougher as the years pass.  Bielema won three B10 titles at UW, yet this job gave him the Ned Beatty "Deliverance" treatment.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

February 21, 2018, 10:29:17 pm #145 Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:43:10 pm by OneTuskOverTheLine™
Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 21, 2018, 10:18:50 pm
Well, I honestly don't remember my predictions from 2006, but if he had to go back 11-12 years to find where I missed on some predictions, then I'm doing pretty good.

I'm not a defeatist.  I used to drink the Kool Aid for years.  I would love to be proven wrong.

But I just have realistic expectations and that's not well received on Hogville. 

How have you been doing on your predictions in recent years?
You better be serving the kool aid while wearing a shirt that says "Imma Dink, and I was wrong" because you sure are fighting everyone who has spent a little time investigating this coach before pouring the "Kool Aid".... Most of us had that "What the Hell?" feeling when CCM was hired. We just calmly looked at what he has done so far and chose to trust.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 21, 2018, 10:29:17 pm
You better be serving the kool aid while wearing a shirt that says "Imma Dink, and I was wrong" because you sure are fighting everyone who has spent a little time investigating this coach before pouring the "Kool Aid".... Most of us had that "What the Hell?" feeling when CCM was hired. We just calmly looked at what he has done so far and chose to trust.

Go check my post history.  I was one of the first Hogvillians on board with Morris.  From the moment I dug into his history, he was the guy I wanted to hire and I said so numerous times on this board while many others were flipping out over his record at SMU.

The following two statements can simultaneously be true:

1. Chad Morris is a great hire for Arkansas.
2. Chad Morris will never win the SEC.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 21, 2018, 10:53:20 pm
Go check my post history.  I was one of the first Hogvillians on board with Morris.  From the moment I dug into his history, he was the guy I wanted to hire and I said so numerous times on this board while many others were flipping out over his record at SMU.

The following two statements can simultaneously be true:

1. Chad Morris is a great hire for Arkansas.
2. Chad Morris will never win the SEC.

Those same two statements can also be simultaneously false.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DLUXHOG

When looking at Morris's SMU record, y'all do realize that the SMU program has been a perpetual dumpster fire since they were handed the death penalty in 1987?   Not even Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry could have put together a winning team there.   Simply put it was a stepping stone for Morris to enter the collegiate Head Coaching arena....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hawgphat

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 19, 2018, 08:54:38 am
I just hope that the folks who hired him sees CM winning an SEC championship.  If not, he should never have been hired.

Well, as the fly said when he landed on the mirror; - - "That's ONE way to look at it".  However, in terms of reality and practicality, if any employer in any industry has a job opening which MUST be filled, - - and NONE of the applicants are deemed to be wholly desirable in every sense of the word, - - then the employer will be forced to to choose the most appealing candidate from among a poor field and make the best of the situation at present.  One cannot always have just exactly what one wants when it comes to hired help.