Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When good is not good enough

Started by Razorod, October 01, 2005, 11:01:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorod

The problem, as I see it, for the Hogs in the SEC is that we can't afford to have an average to good coach. And contrary to the Nutt bashers, I think Nutt is a good coach. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate him a 6, maybe 7. But given Arkansas demographics and traditions, good isn't good enough.  What a good coach can get you at Arkansas is exactly what Nutt has given us--6-5's, 7-4, an occasional 8-3 type season and also some 5-6's.

In order to get to the level of basic compentence in the SEC (Biggus' dream) we have to have to a very good to great coach, and contrary to the Nutthuggers, I don't think Nutt qualifies as a very good or great coach. On a scale of 1-10 I think we have to have a coach at least at the 8 level--preferably a 9 or 10. The problem for the UA is that a very good to great coach is going to cost money--something Broyles and company have been unwilling to spend--in order to get them to agree to come here or they're going to have to spot that great coach before everyone else does in order to get him here at a cheaper price (then they can raise his salary according to the success he has at the UA). The reality is that it is going to cost us a lot of money to have a truly competitive program at the UA--probably in the area 2 million a year in head coach's salary in football and 1.5 million in basketball. If we're not willing to pony up, then we will continue to see .500 ball in conference and bottom tier bowls.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

kratter

HDN is making $1.2 - $1.4 (depending on your source) & is winning 5 & 6 games.  I firmly believe that kind of money can get a very good coach. Plus, if we are paying that for 5-6, I know Tyson, Lindsey, etc. would gladly fork up the extra 1/2 million to win 9-10 game a year.  Also, I have a seriously hard time buying the argument that "this is Arkansas & b/c of that, we will never be national competitive year in, year out."  I think that is hogwash.  First of all, if that is the case, then there are a ton of us that a wasting a ton of time & a ton of money.  Secondly, I present to you: Nebraska, Tennessee, Iowa, Oklahoma, Auburn.  The latter 4 may have slightly bigger population bases, but not by much & they all have nationally competitive programs.  In the early to mid 90's when you could walk up and set on the 50 yard line, this argument may have had more merit.  But we are filling a 72,000 seat stadium to watch a Division 1AA team, the facilities are top-notch, and there is a bunch of support and money backing this program now, it is time for results or all the afore mentioned support will go away.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again,
"Shoot for Mediocrity, You'll Reach Mediocrity At Best, Failure At Worst. Shoot For Greatness, You'll Reach Greatness At Best, Mediocrity At Worst."
I coined this phrase at the beginning of last year, after I heard HDN state that our goal was to get to a bowl game.  OUR GOAL WAS TO WIN 6 GAMES & we had, in my opinion, the single greatest weapon in college football as our QB. 
I think it is time for a completely different mindset on the hill.  The goal should be simple and always stated as such, our goal should be to win every game that we play, not just 6 of them.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

Razorod

I'm not arguing for mediocrity. I'm saying we have a good coach and we've seen what a good coach can get us. I've seen enough of Nutt to be convinced he will not get us above the 4-4 in conference and 8-4 overall records. If we want more, then we need to go out and hire a very good coach. But, the UA brass will need to be prepared to pay a lot of money to get it. I agree, Nutt is overpaid for the level of coach he is.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

kratter

Razorod,
I wasn't necessarily arguing with you, just venting.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Razorod on October 01, 2005, 11:01:24 am
The problem, as I see it, for the Hogs in the SEC is that we can't afford to have an average to good coach. And contrary to the Nutt bashers, I think Nutt is a good coach. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate him a 6, maybe 7. But given Arkansas demographics and traditions, good isn't good enough. What a good coach can get you at Arkansas is exactly what Nutt has given us--6-5's, 7-4, an occasional 8-3 type season and also some 5-6's.

In order to get to the level of basic compentence in the SEC (Biggus' dream) we have to have to a very good to great coach, and contrary to the Nutthuggers, I don't think Nutt qualifies as a very good or great coach. On a scale of 1-10 I think we have to have a coach at least at the 8 level--preferably a 9 or 10. The problem for the UA is that a very good to great coach is going to cost money--something Broyles and company have been unwilling to spend--in order to get them to agree to come here or they're going to have to spot that great coach before everyone else does in order to get him here at a cheaper price (then they can raise his salary according to the success he has at the UA). The reality is that it is going to cost us a lot of money to have a truly competitive program at the UA--probably in the area 2 million a year in head coach's salary in football and 1.5 million in basketball. If we're not willing to pony up, then we will continue to see .500 ball in conference and bottom tier bowls.

Nutt is a 4 at best.....that's average at best.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Tusks

Pay a new coach $1.65M and if he wins the SECC then put him close to $2.0....right now we've got a coach around $1.35 and if he wins (will never happen) the SECC then he'll move up to $1.65M.  We need to get a coach good enough to start at $1.65!
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit