Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Jones

Started by Razorback53, September 29, 2005, 10:33:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback53

I have seen all 3 games so far that the jags have played this year and so far we really havent seen much of matt....Leftwitch needs to throw him the ball about 5 times a game there has been a couple of time were he has been WIDE open.....and plus I consider him a redzone threat and when I saw the colts game he wasnt even in.....I hope they start pickin up the tempo with him and make a run at rookie of the year

Lando Calrissian

The Jags have a lot of weapons on offense and they actually showed signs of using that talent creatively

Their play-calling on offense has become progessively "blah" over the past 2 games though.

I still wanna see MJ catch one in stride.  He had that guy beat by 5 yards and was wide-open for the game-winning TD, only to have Leftwich severly underthrow it.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

3kgthog

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Leftwich is a bad, streaky QB.  He doesn't see the field well and is extremly immobile.  He doesn't just miss wide open Matt Jones. He misses wide open Smith and Williams and whoever else is on the field.  If the guy isn't as wide open as that Bama guy in the endzone then Leftwich isn't going to get him the ball.   

the donger

Actually Byron is a big fan of Matt. The problem is MJ is too slow off the line of scrimmage  but he should be a target in the red zone in "jump ball" situations.

AFWarrior83

He just needs a few more years. He will be a star soon!
Hogville member since 2005.

Killean

I think it is a result of playcalling rather than Leftwich.  Their offense is terribly conservative at times, but Byron is one of the best QB's I've ever seen as far as throwing the ball and guts.  He's definitely light years ahead of anyone we've had at Arkansas.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

HogFather

Leftwich does not like MJ.  He is a rookie and he is getting most of the publicity for the team.  This makes other players jealous, very politicle.

Killean

Leftwich loves Jimmy Smith (as all quarterbacks would)  Jimmy loves Matt because Matt stretches the field for Jimmy.  Therefore Byron loves Matt.

Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: Killean on September 30, 2005, 05:56:02 pm
Leftwich loves Jimmy Smith (as all quarterbacks would) Jimmy loves Matt because Matt stretches the field for Jimmy. Therefore Byron loves Matt.

But Jimmy hates Kramer!  Jimmy's gunna get Kramer!  Don't mess with Jimmy!

Bomis Hawg

Jimmy Smith is still producing.  Somehow, Reggie Williams is doing well.  I think it was a tie for the #3 spot.  Ernest Wilford was the guy early on for Byron.  Sure he'll remain #3 for now.

Matt Jones has played well.  103 total yards in three games?  Not bad, really.

wildboarhog

I bought the Direct TV NFL package to be able to see all of Matts games and I've seen Taylor carrying the ball 37 times a game and Matt standing on the sidelines away to much for $250 bucks. I read where there  offensive cord. was going to open up the offense if thats open I'd sure hate to see conservitive.   

RazorRedneck

Quote from: wildboarhog on September 30, 2005, 11:04:35 pm
I bought the Direct TV NFL package to be able to see all of Matts games and I've seen Taylor carrying the ball 37 times a game and Matt standing on the sidelines away to much for $250 bucks. I read where there offensive cord. was going to open up the offense if thats open I'd sure hate to see conservitive.

You paid $250 bucks, I don't know where you live but TV 5 in NWA and in the River Valley area has shown everyone of his games.

mikeirwin

We've allowed our viewers to vote from among several games.
Jacksonville is running near 90% in the week to week voting.
I got a call from a Jaguars beat writer. He was astounded at those numbers.
I told him that overnight our portion of the state had become a Jags hot bed.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the voting the first time CBS offers us our choice of Jacksonville or Dallas.

Turnberry

Quote from: Razorback53 on September 29, 2005, 10:33:57 pm
I have seen all 3 games so far that the jags have played this year and so far we really havent seen much of matt....Leftwitch needs to throw him the ball about 5 times a game there has been a couple of time were he has been WIDE open.....and plus I consider him a redzone threat and when I saw the colts game he wasnt even in.....I hope they start pickin up the tempo with him and make a run at rookie of the year

He's a rookie still learning the position.   The transition for a WR from college to the NFL is not easy so for someone that's never played the position it's very difficult.  I don't see MJ contributing consistently until next year.
aka PlanoHog

Bad_Intentions

They do need to use Matt more. I went from being a fan of an ultra-conservative college team (Arkansas) to a fan of a very conservative NFL team. There is no excuse for them to not to stretch the field and go vertical a lot. The O-line is bad and that contributes a little bit, but it's not that bad. Leftwich, though he severely underthrew a wide open MJ streaking down the sidelines in OT last week, he's got a gun. Smith, nuff said. Proven. RW was a great college wr and he's a pretty big target. Wilford is a big target with good hands and Jones is a gigantic target with amazing hands. The Jags really need to grow some cajones and throw downfield more. Taylor can't keep taking this kind of a beating every game.
WPS!!

Lando Calrissian

October 01, 2005, 01:51:22 am #15 Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 01:54:35 am by Lando Calrissian
That's the thing though, in the Jags' first game their offense looked extremely "opened up".  I don't just mean with how Matt was used either.

There was a genuine creativity to the playcalling.  But you guys are right, their playcalling has gone from innovative to 'plain Jane' in a span of 3 games.  The problem might lie with their O-line, because they've got the receivers and RBs to have a decently high-powered offense.  I *think* Leftwich can pull off an aerial attack, but that doesn't mean a thing as their offense line has looked like total crap when it comes to pass blocking.

The teams that pick a style and stick to it (see the Patriots or Steelers) are the teams that consistently win.  All in all, there really isn't that much of a desparity between the good & bad talent of most NFL teams.  It's certainly not like college football anyway. 

The Jags just need to pick what they want to do and stick to it.  If that means running the ball 40 times a game, fine.  They just need to make up their minds already.

A guy doesn't have to be Lombardi to realize that they've got some weapons (just like it doesn't take Norm Chow to realize that F Jones and McFadden are really really really good), that's why it's so frustrating to watch them these last 2 games because you can SEE the talent they've got and you can SEE how they aren't utilizing it.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.