Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HILLIS RETURNING PUNTS

Started by LilRockCentral#21, September 29, 2005, 04:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LilRockCentral#21

Is that not the dumbest looking thing or is it just me? ???

Jim Harris

Quote from: LilRockCentral#21 on September 29, 2005, 04:37:34 pm

I'd just add it to the list of dumb things Nutt has done as coach.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

CarolinaHog1176

well, I suppose it's better than having someone back there that can't field a punt....  I guess we could just try and block each punt and not put anybody deep, but when the ball hits and rolls another 30 yards, that's valuable field position.  I doubt that Hillis is going to pop any returns this year (or ever), but at least he's catching it and making the net punt only 35-40 yards instead of 50-60
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

LilRockCentral#21

May be true. However, it just looks kinda silly to me. Im pretty sure Hillis isn't the only player on the roster that can field a punt. If so, something is extremely wrong. But your right I guess. As long as he doesn't muff it.

MCPeePants

Well, I suppose asking Hillis to do it is a better idea than the disasterous decision to let Michael Coe do it during the first couple games, but I still think they ought to be using either McFadden or Jones or both.

Even if he doesn't want to use one of those two, we still have some other speedy offensive players who don't play all that much who you would think might make decent options as return guys. Why not try Dedrick Poole in that role? Or better yet, Cedric Logan? 

Ben Steiger

I don't understand it... He has sure hands, but no speed!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

ThisTeetsTaken

Seems to me that after 8 freaking years, Houston Dale would not have to jerry-rig his team. You'd think he'd have a fast guy with good hands and some moves but....
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

idochog

Quote from: drakehog on September 29, 2005, 04:41:06 pm

I'd just add it to the list of dumb things Nutt has done as coach.

I couldnt agree more.  Obviously a move to placate someone named Hillis who thinks he has to be on the field and be the center of attention.
I love Jesus!

futurehogdad

Are you Robert Cortenez and played at Central 80-82?

Lando Calrissian

All things being equal, I guess I'd rather have Hillis back there than Rossi Rosseali (or whatever that guy's name was).
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Reaganite

This is the first I've heard of this... I missed the call in shows today.  I had to take my wife to the proctologist (I'm not sure which is worse, but the doctor did manage to find Nutt's gameplan...  :puke:).

If so, then it makes sense... someone gently suggests they be put on defense to be more productive, and they stick you on punt returns.  Hell if Nutt is really generous, maybe he can carry the balls out to the field as well.

Isn't Hillis used to having the ball shoved in his gut?  How much practice has he had catching a high speed, spinning, end over end ball with the sun in his eyes?

:razorback: :razorback:

Nutt huggers: You don't understand the POWER of the Kool-aid you're drinking!

Join the darksiders and together we can shape the Razorback universe into a WINNING image![/color]
:razorback:
Old geezer says:

70-17??...
On top of VANDERBUILT??
[/color]

Hey!  I found our game plan:

the donger

Hell, put him at QB! It doesn't matter.
P.S.- lets quick kick more often.

toshortrock

Hillis is good,,but he shouldn't be fielding punts,no speed,either jones or mcfadden,i don't know what seems to be nutts problem
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

GrizzledHogFan

Guys, it doesn't really matter who's fielding punts because our defense can't stop our opponents from scoring, so there's no need to punt.   :P
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

AFWarrior83

What about Reggie Fish? I knew he was a wasted schole! Too small and is scared to catch and get hit! I don't know why soo many people were high on him before the season started...
Hogville member since 2005.

CorningHog

I'll admit that probably the main reason the coaches like seeing Hillis back there is that he is strong enough to run thru a couple of tackles.  This would be my only reasoning for it.  Hillis is a decent straight ahead runner, and maybe the thinking is just run straight upfield and get it to the 20.  If he gets more, they think it is a "homerun".

The problem is that McFadden or Jones, and I think Felix since he has a knack for the cutting and movement needed to be effective in the return games.

It may all stem from the fact that the coaches aren't living up to any of the promises they made to Peyton concerning the "H-back" or TE plays to go along with FB and RB.  I don't blame Peyton for feeling bad, heck, I would be mad over D Howard getting plays that should be going to the freshman and if I were Peyton, it would irritate me that the coaches aren't utilizing the "H-back" package nor getting him in at TE.  The passing game could be helped there and it should also help open up the middle of the field throws as well as the medium to deep passes to our WR's.

All in all, it is another reason to be disappointed in the offensive coaches and Nutt.  They have not had much production in these areas simply because they have failed to call plays that attack these areas of the field.

The "easy fix" that Nutt has talked about since last weekend is simply another ploy to buy more "time" with his offense.

Expect the same type things and you should not be let down because it is not going to change much between now and the South Carolina game.

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

V B Porkers

Fish was an All american in shorts for summer workouts and maybe we need to bring back the  "pooch kick"

Razorback Jedi

What role does Hillis' dad play in how much playing time Hillis sees?

stevo98

Did Hillis tell Nutt he wants to play LB?  I can see that, or maybe DE.

MCPeePants

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on September 29, 2005, 11:58:13 pm
All things being equal, I guess I'd rather have Hillis back there than Rossi Rosseali (or whatever that guy's name was).

How many other punt returners in the Nutt era went on to star in Temptation Island II and host Junkyard MegaWars? How could you forget his name?

MCPeePants

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 30, 2005, 09:58:22 am
What role does Hillis' dad play in how much playing time Hillis sees?

Speaking of infamous Hog fathers, Gary Brashears' dad can often be found playing 1/2 no limit in the poker room over in Roland. He's an interesting guy to talk to. Very willing to talk about Gary (and his other 2 college athlete sons) and very candid about his whole situation here.

hawgfan_18

uh heres a suggestion on who should field punts....Felix Jones, how 'bout ya c'mon

Feralhog

McFadden has great speed, great friken hands, that must be why we aren't giving him a serious look at returing punts. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

bosshawg38

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on September 29, 2005, 11:58:13 pm

Rossi Morreale...or somethin along those lines. Just figured id throw it out there  ;)

HornetHog

Its simple and Im suprised no one has caught it....no pun there.......he a tuff tuff kid and when you are tuff you don't get nervous and fumble at the last second.  Why do most returners fumble....?   They know that more than one headhunter in runniing full speed at his body and intends on hurting them if all possible.   This Hillis kid don't give a rats ass about whos coming casue he intends on hurting whoever's bad enough to make it to him.......and thats his mantality, thus the reason he' back there.
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

Hardwork321

Hills and PR that sound about right with this coach staff.  You might as well have Keith Jackson Jr. back there.

Quote from: HornetHog on September 30, 2005, 12:33:12 pm
Its simple and Im suprised no one has caught it....no pun there.......he a tuff tuff kid and when you are tuff you don't get nervous and fumble at the last second. Why do most returners fumble....? They know that more than one headhunter in runniing full speed at his body and intends on hurting them if all possible. This Hillis kid don't give a rats ass about whos coming casue he intends on hurting whoever's bad enough to make it to him.......and thats his mantality, thus the reason he' back there.