Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 Reason Why I Think Houston Nutt Should Be Fired!

Started by JoeFredTheRedHead, September 29, 2005, 04:29:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeFredTheRedHead

September 29, 2005

Please forgive me if this post is a little long.  This is the first time I have ever posted anything. 

First a little back ground information about myself.  I am a graduate of the University of Arkansas and a season ticket holder in football, basketball and baseball.  I am also a contributor to the Razorback Foundation.  I do not remember much from my first Razorback game.  But I remember watching it from a grassy hill in the north end zone, which now has Frank Broyles Athletic Complex built on it.  Some of the more memorable games that I have witnessed in person include 1981 Texas game. I was in Little Rock in 1983 when the tornado went by during the SMU game.  I saw Jack Crowe lose to The Citadel and Joe Kines beat Tennessee.   I was in Atlanta when Madre Hill injured himself early in the Conference Championship game.  I saw Clint Stoerner fumble in Knoxville and get revenge in Fayetteville.  I saw us beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl and froze watching us lose to Oklahoma.  And, I had a great time after the miracle on Markham Street.   

That being said, JFB I have paid my freight.  Now hear me out.   

I think Houston Nut is a great person.  But not the right coach for the University of Arkansas.  I have 10 reasons why I think Houston Nut should be fired.  They are as follows:

1)   Houston Nutt is currently 29 and 29, or .500, in conference play.

2)      Houston Nutt is 2 and 7, or .222, in post season play.

3)   In the Houston Nutt era, we have played on television 56 times.  Our overall record while playing on television is 30 and 26, or .536.   We have appeared on national television a total of 40 times and have a record of 17 and 23, or .425.   

4)   In the Houston Nutt era, we have played a nationally ranked team 29 times.  Our record against nationally ranked teams is 12 and 17, or .414.   

5)   Houston Nutt has lost 8 of last 11 games. If these 11 games consisted of a regular season, we would be 3 and 8.  This record includes 7 games in which Houston Nutt had the benefit of arguably one of the most gifted athletes to play at the University of Arkansas (Matt Jones). 

I am not afraid to admit it I expect to win more than half our games. 

6)   Houston Nutt's overall record currently stands at 54-36-0, or .600.  The record for Arkansas for during the modern era (1958 forward) is 350-183-10, or .645.  Houston Nutt's record is not even average for an Arkansas head coach.  Granted, this includes Danny Ford and Jack Crowe's records.  I will happily compare Houston's record against those of Ken Hatfeild, Lou Holtz and Frank Broyles.  Their combined record was 258-96-8, or .713.  No disrespect to Joe Kines. I am grateful for his leadership at the University of Arkansas during difficult times.   

7)   Houston Nutt has not finished the season nationally ranked since 1999.  That's 5 seasons without finishing in the top 25.  We went 8 seasons without finishing in the top 25 during the Jack Crowe and Danny Ford era.  I know none of us want to return to those glory days.  BTW, you will have to look all the way back to 1947 to 1953 (7 seasons) to find a similar time span of not finishing in the top 25.

8)   The last time we beat a nationally ranked opponent was on 9/13/2003, when we beat No. 5 Texas 38 to 28.  Since that time, we have played (and lost to) 8 nationally ranked teams.

9)   The average score for an Arkansas game against all opponents is 30 to 23, with Arkansas wining.  In conference play, the average score is 26 to 25, again with Arkansas wining.  With Arkansas last three or four offenses, these numbers suggest that we are more likely to run up the score on lesser opponents and struggle/lose to the better opponents.  In my opinion, we can not consistently beat quality teams.       

10)   And finally, Houston Nutt has not won any "Big Game" since the 2003 Texas game.

That being said, on Saturday, October 1st, I will be in Little Rock watch the game.  I will continue to support for the team through all of its ups and downs.  I will do so because I truly love the Razorbacks.   

Please excuse the rant, that's just the way I see things.

Go Hogs,

JoeFredTheRedHead

treyschaap

What game will you be watching in Little Rock on October 1st?

HogFather

JamesWParks

Great first post, all facts, not the same ol "fire hdn he sucks nutt haha" stuff.
Go Colts, Go Hogs

Since 1894

Ditto - I disagree with your desire to see Houston go but your opinion is backed up be facts and figures.  Nice job, refreshing.  I hope you keep posting.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

hawkeyefan17

Good first post, JoeFredtheRedHead, good take, nice use of statistics

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

MajorHog

You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net

Gman

Welcome to the checkmark club, at least thats what Bo and Mike call us.

Ben Steiger

At least a poster with REASON and SENSE why Nutt should go...
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

HornetHog

Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

PerryHog

Reaganite

Here's one reason:

Vanderbuilt!

Nutt huggers: You don't understand the POWER of the Kool-aid you're drinking!

Join the darksiders and together we can shape the Razorback universe into a WINNING image![/color]
:razorback:
Old geezer says:

70-17??...
On top of VANDERBUILT??
[/color]

Hey!  I found our game plan:

the donger

GLC

Best Stat post I've seen in a long time!  Looking for more after next weeks game!