Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just in from HDN's Career Ender - a Few Thoughts

Started by WilsonHog, September 11, 2005, 08:45:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

(1) It appeared to me that the pass interference call against Randy Kelly was bogus, but we put ourselves in position to have something like that happen. That kind of thing is exactly what happens more times than not when a better team lets an inferior team hang around and stay in the game. The underdog has a habit of finding a way to win as they get more confidence and the favorite gets more shaken.

(2) I figured we were in trouble when we had 200 yards of offense to their 10 in the first quarter and lead only 10-0.  See (1).  The Commodores' goal line stand killed our momentum for the rest of the first half.

(3) With all of the blitz packages we threw at Cutler, we got to him exactly twice - both times in the fourth quarter.

(4) HDN's offense, and I use that term loosely, has turned Marcus Monk into a possession receiver.

(5) Robert Johnson played pretty well given what he was asked to execute. The failure to get the first down on his 3rd-and-2 scamper all over the RRS field was poor judgement. Running out of bounds on our last possession was inexcusable.

(6) We are supposedly a running team, with great backs and a pretty good offensive line - yet we couldn't manage one first down on our last possession, let alone the two that would have given us the win, against VANDERBILT.

(7) The lasting impression that I will take from this game was the walk back to my car. I was in a sea of Razorback fans walking down Razorback Road toward Sixth Street, and it was QUIET. No ranting or raving, just the sound of the buses and people shuffling along. I heard two comments - "I'm used to this," and "This is gonna be a long season."  That silence was a silence of anger and resignation.   

Bomis Hawg

What's the old saying, "The calm before the storm."

Anti-OtisII

The only good thing about last night and losing to Vanderbilt was that they only had about 150 fans at the game.  I'm not sure I could have stood to walk in that mass of people down Razorback Road while being heckled by Vandy fans.

Oklahawg

Being heckled by Vandy fans--that would have to qualify as a sign of the apocalypse.

Wilson, if RJ doesn't go out of bounds on 2nd down, next to last possession (is that what is called a "waggle"?), we'll eat at least another 30 seconds off the clock. This would force Vandy to throw further downfield as they tried to score. I'm not saying that is enough to let us roll the clock to 00:00 without giving up that last score, but it sure would get us close. I LOVED the play-calling on that play, by the way. It was designed to get us 15 yards or eat time. That it did neither was one of two critical judgement errors by RJ. The other was the scramble on 3rd and 2 you've mentioned already.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Thehammer

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2005, 09:48:16 pm
Being heckled by Vandy fans--that would have to qualify as a sign of the apocalypse.

Wilson, if RJ doesn't go out of bounds on 2nd down, next to last possession (is that what is called a "waggle"?), we'll eat at least another 30 seconds off the clock. This would force Vandy to throw further downfield as they tried to score. I'm not saying that is enough to let us roll the clock to 00:00 without giving up that last score, but it sure would get us close. I LOVED the play-calling on that play, by the way. It was designed to get us 15 yards or eat time. That it did neither was one of two critical judgement errors by RJ. The other was the scramble on 3rd and 2 you've mentioned already.

Johnson's running out of bounds was dumb; plain and simple.  But it didn't get us beat.  When you're playing Vandy at home, there's no excuse for the score being close enough for one or two plays to make a difference.   I'm not even going to rag out the refs as bad as the officiating was, because it's a moot point.    We had 10-0 and 24-13 leads and didn't go for the jugular.

This one's on Nutt.    That was some of the most bizarre play calling I've ever witnessed. 

HogInMemphis

I'll put it in this context:  If Nutt is still here after this season, then we've become a Vandy. That is, we're not the least bit concerned about winning or having a winning record. And that would not surprise me at all with White leading the U of A. That is the direction he'd like to take the university - away from an institution known for sports and toward one recognized for academics and an intelligent student body.

Oklahawg

Hammer, has HDN ever gone for the jugular? I don't think that's in his makeup.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HawgAlude

well all I can say is anybody remember -- The Citadel... oh and if we were florida or georgia HN would have done been GONE just like when florida lost to mississippi state a few years ago....

Bomis Hawg

To be fair in this situation, I doubt he'd be fire on Monday after losing to Vandy at a Georgia.  Maybe at the end of the season, but not mid-week.  They easily could've knocked off Tenn last year.

All of that is apples to pineapples.  We deal with our situation.  And, at this point, cutting our losses at this point might be the best option.

Biggus Piggus

Wilson, I don't know whether you saw some of the other stats on posts long gone off the first page.  We had three minutes' possession time in the fourth quarter.  Hard to place 100% blame on the defense when that happens.  Two three and outs + a one and INT.  Our second three and out, after we held em to a missed FG, lasted all of 24 seconds.  Our last four possessions of the first half included failures on third downs, the last three including three incomplete passes.  Vandy was scared to death of our running game, and we descended into running only on obvious running downs.  Felix Jones got one carry because Nutt was afraid he'd fumble, but somehow he was good enough to replace fumble fingers Coe in punt returns.  Pass defense statistics were phenomenal prior to the fourth quarter.  Too much time on the field thereafter.
[CENSORED]!

dirty stanchez

I was livid earlier, but I think we need to just wait till after Thanksgiving to get rid of the bum.

This season is a wash, sad to say.  Let's just give it time (75 days) and start searching for a coach when the holiday season starts.

MarieHogFan

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 11, 2005, 10:22:59 pm
I'll put it in this context:  If Nutt is still here after this season, then we've become a Vandy. That is, we're not the least bit concerned about winning or having a winning record. And that would not surprise me at all with White leading the U of A. That is the direction he'd like to take the university - away from an institution known for sports and toward one recognized for academics and an intelligent student body.

Please list exactly what actions John White has taken that has hurt the football program.

Actually John White's goal is to have an institution like the one he came from, Georgia Tech, who's athletic program is light years ahead of Arkansas'.

Bringing John White's name into any discussion about the Hog football program is just another way of giving Houston an excuse.  The football program has been given everything they wanted through the good graces of big daddy Jim Lindsey and this is the result

MarieHogFan

Quote from: razorback4life on September 12, 2005, 12:16:04 am

YOu list why you think GT is light years ahead of our program and I wll list more than enough reasons why John White cares only about academics.

YOu don't think that Georgia Tech's athletic program is far superior to Arkansas?  Have you even watched any college sports the last 4 or 5 years?

Again, please list one thing that John White has done that has hurt the football program.

MarieHogFan

Quote from: ConwayHog on September 12, 2005, 12:27:03 am

Are you his daughter or just one of the girls on the gymnastics team?

You are more than welcome to point out anything that was incorrect in my post.

Hogz87

How many different threads can we start on the firing of Houston Nutt?  It's getting old to get on here and seeing 3 new threads on the firing of HDN every time!  With that said... can we please!! Get rid of HDN!!

MarieHogFan

September 12, 2005, 12:40:10 am #15 Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:42:38 am by MarieHogFan
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 12, 2005, 12:32:36 am

Not to turn this into a GT or Arkansas thread, but our athletics facilities are better and the football records are comparable.  Not light years ahead.  We SHOULD be light years ahead and are missing the mark.

Bacon out...

Georgia Tech, 2-0 with a win over Auburn and ranked #16.

Arkansas, 1-1 with a win over Div 1AA Missouri St. and a loss to Vanderbilt.

I don't call that comparable.

As you said Arkansas should be light years ahead but aren't.  That is directly the fault of HDN, Frank Broyles, and Jim Lindsey.

3kgthog

Once Mitch Mustain makes the call, HDN will be gone.   ::)

Bomis Hawg

Georgia Tech and Arkansas are fairly even since 1998.  Both teams weren't that good prior.  Ga. Tech has their easiest games early.  They will beat UConn, WF, and Duke.  Out of NC State, Miami, Clemson, UVA, Georgia, and Va Tech can they best to get #6?  Maybe NC State at home.

GT is a decent little program.  They are running even par with Arkansas lately.  I think it is a push.  Arkansas has the facilities.  I wish Arkansas could play Tulsa and Syracuse in bowls to bump up their average.

dirty stanchez

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on September 12, 2005, 12:43:54 am
Georgia Tech and Arkansas are fairly even since 1998. Both teams weren't that good prior. Ga. Tech has their easiest games early. They will beat UConn, WF, and Duke. Out of NC State, Miami, Clemson, UVA, Georgia, and Va Tech can they best to get #6? Maybe NC State at home.

GT is a decent little program. They are running even par with Arkansas lately. I think it is a push. Arkansas has the facilities. I wish Arkansas could play Tulsa and Syracuse in bowls to bump up their average.

Or UNLV...

Bomis Hawg

Bacon, record (overall) is nearly identical.  They have ween to 8 straight bowls, Arkansas has been to 6 in 7.

Bomis Hawg

MarieHogFan

Quote from: dirty stanchez on September 12, 2005, 12:47:25 am
Quote from: Bomis Hawg on September 12, 2005, 12:43:54 am
Georgia Tech and Arkansas are fairly even since 1998. Both teams weren't that good prior. Ga. Tech has their easiest games early. They will beat UConn, WF, and Duke. Out of NC State, Miami, Clemson, UVA, Georgia, and Va Tech can they best to get #6? Maybe NC State at home.

GT is a decent little program. They are running even par with Arkansas lately. I think it is a push. Arkansas has the facilities. I wish Arkansas could play Tulsa and Syracuse in bowls to bump up their average.

Or UNLV...

Or Minnesota....

If you want to talk history Arkansas may have the edge.  I do not pretend to be an expert on Georgia Tech but haven't they had a pretty stellar football history as well?

And I was not comparing facilities.  A nice stadium and a nice arena are great but wins are better.

dirty stanchez

We stole Frank from Ga. Tech.

That means we have the edge.

Bomis Hawg

From start to finish, I think Ga Tech might have a little edge.  I was strictly refering to 98-present.  Its even.   GT has 3 undefeated season in their belts.

Biggus Piggus

Vandy may go on to start 5-0 now.  Schedule lays out that way.  Then they could be 5-4 entering their game against Kentucky.  I bet they will play for bowl eligibility against Kentucky in November.

Losing to them is no worse, no better than losing to Kentucky at home in 2002, or having to fight like crazy to beat a weak Kentucky team in OTs in 2003.

This is the same thing over again, and I guess it is strange that fans hadn't noticed till now.
[CENSORED]!

Hogger

I wonder where we rank minus track/cross-country championships?  ???

Biggus Piggus

Worst losses in Arkansas football history since 1990:

1990--lost to Texas Tech (4-7), TCU (5-6) and Rice (5-6)
1991--lost to Ole Miss (5-6)
1992--lost to The Citadel (finished with a great record including another D-IA win) and SMU (5-6)
1993--lost to Ole Miss (5-6)
1994--lost to LSU (4-7)
1995--lost to SMU (1-10)
1996--lost to SMU (5-6)
1997--lost to South Carolina (5-6)
1998--no bad losses
1999--lost to LSU (3-8)
2000--no bad losses unless you want to count UNLV (at least it was a bowl)
2001--no bad losses
2002--no bad losses (Kentucky at least finished 7-5)
2003--no bad losses
2004--no bad losses (South Carolina was worst at 6-5)

If Vanderbilt finishes with a winning record, then Nutt's record would be intact of having just one loss to a team with a losing record.
[CENSORED]!

MarieHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 12, 2005, 01:07:54 am
Vandy may go on to start 5-0 now.  Schedule lays out that way.  Then they could be 5-4 entering their game against Kentucky.  I bet they will play for bowl eligibility against Kentucky in November.

Losing to them is no worse, no better than losing to Kentucky at home in 2002, or having to fight like crazy to beat a weak Kentucky team in OTs in 2003.

This is the same thing over again, and I guess it is strange that fans hadn't noticed till now.

The only difference is that Matt Jones isn't here anymore to save the day.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 12, 2005, 01:24:22 am
Worst losses in Arkansas football history since 1990:

1990--lost to Texas Tech (4-7), TCU (5-6) and Rice (5-6)
1991--lost to Ole Miss (5-6)
1992--lost to The Citadel (finished with a great record including another D-IA win) and SMU (5-6)
1993--lost to Ole Miss (5-6)
1994--lost to LSU (4-7)
1995--lost to SMU (1-10)
1996--lost to SMU (5-6)
1997--lost to South Carolina (5-6)
1998--no bad losses
1999--lost to LSU (3-8)
2000--no bad losses unless you want to count UNLV (at least it was a bowl)
2001--no bad losses
2002--no bad losses (Kentucky at least finished 7-5)
2003--no bad losses
2004--no bad losses (South Carolina was worst at 6-5)

If Vanderbilt finishes with a winning record, then Nutt's record would be intact of having just one loss to a team with a losing record.

How is that Tennessee loss (something like 62-20) not on this list?  That was bad.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

Biggus Piggus

Max, we lost on the road to a good team.  I don't care about the score.  My unwritten definition of a bad loss in this post was losing to a team with a losing record, or in the case of The Citadel a 1AA team.
[CENSORED]!

MarieHogFan

Quote from: ConwayHog on September 12, 2005, 04:10:00 pm

John White sticks his nose in athletics for one thing.  That needs to be left to the AD who is actually in athletics.  We have a foundation that raises funds, why does John White care?  Secondly, he made it harder to recruit using the D rule.  Then he softened it up some but only after a battle.  Thirdly, he tried to fire JFB who has produced some wonderful facilites around the campus.  Let's be real, the university has benefitted tremendously from the work of the athletic program over the years.  John White should stay out of it.  If you want to use a 4 or 5 year period, go ahead.  I mean the basketball team made a run.  I'm not sure about baseball but I'd be confident in saying we were better.  Our track team is incredible.  Football is currently very low, but we have had some good seasons and a few big wins.  Tech hasn't done anything exciting that I remember.  Georgia Tech is in Atlanta and we're in Fayetteville. 

I would like one reason why John White is qualified to stick in nose in athletics.  You can answer that one for me.

The only thing of substance in this whole post is about the D Rule.  Now that's something you might be able to point to and say "hey, that thing hurt our recruiting which hurt our football program".

Unfortunately for you the D Rule was here before John White arrived on campus.  Nice try though.

The rest of this post is just a mish-mash of crap.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: MarieHogFan on September 30, 2005, 10:13:17 pm

John White sticks his nose in athletics for one thing.  That needs to be left to the AD who is actually in athletics.  We have a foundation that raises funds, why does John White care?  Secondly, he made it harder to recruit using the D rule.  Then he softened it up some but only after a battle.  Thirdly, he tried to fire JFB who has produced some wonderful facilites around the campus.  Let's be real, the university has benefitted tremendously from the work of the athletic program over the years.  John White should stay out of it.  If you want to use a 4 or 5 year period, go ahead.  I mean the basketball team made a run.  I'm not sure about baseball but I'd be confident in saying we were better.  Our track team is incredible.  Football is currently very low, but we have had some good seasons and a few big wins.  Tech hasn't done anything exciting that I remember.  Georgia Tech is in Atlanta and we're in Fayetteville. 

I would like one reason why John White is qualified to stick in nose in athletics.  You can answer that one for me.

The only thing of substance in this whole post is about the D Rule.  Now that's something you might be able to point to and say "hey, that thing hurt our recruiting which hurt our football program".

Unfortunately for you the D Rule was here before John White arrived on campus.  Nice try though.

Let the thread go, Marie - 18 days ago and you are just now rebutting?

Wow...

Bacon out...

MarieHogFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 30, 2005, 10:15:11 pm
Quote from: MarieHogFan on September 30, 2005, 10:13:17 pm

Let the thread go, Marie - 18 days ago and you are just now rebutting?

Wow...

Bacon out...

I don't check in every day like some do. 

And since I'm the one that threw the challenge out there it would've been pretty chicken-darn of me to ignore a response.