Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some new info....

Started by porkrindjimmy, November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 06:07:17 pm
I personally believe that Gus did reach out to us when his job was in jeopardy (after LSU).  That makes a lot of sense.  He does have lots of friends in NWA and probably on the BOT also.  Then, he turned his season around and grew less and less in need of a place to land, but still in need of leverage.  My hope is that the Gus flirtation is over or almost over and we go get Norvell, Campbell, Frost or Morris.

I tend to agree. I think Gus reached out, via his agent or back channels of course, back when he had a couple "win or be fired" games this season. Then he beats Georgia, some of the heat dials down, and Gus backs away from his exit strategy a bit. Sexton though, as any good agent should, seizes the chance to play the raise game.

I'm sure plenty of folks here have had a moment in a current or previous job where something caused you to go look at/apply for other jobs. Then you most likely get a call back on a better day a few days or weeks later after the adversity had passed. By then, you might be in less need of an exit strategy. See it a lot in the vendor community, lol.

Gus has a different pressure cooker to deal with of course. He's gonna have heat at Auburn til Bama hits the skids in a post Saban, Crimson Tide apocalypse down cycle. Personally, I don't believe Gus will ever come here. That ship sailed in part during the Nutt drama and in part when we looked beyond him after the roadside ditch incident.  If getting closer to family is his goal, I could see him going to Okie St if T Boone gets tired of the mullet.  Just my opinion though...seems like Gus and the UofA are a bad timing kind of relationship.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 20, 2017, 10:53:52 am
This makes more sense than 99% of the posts on this board right now. I don't know why it's so hard for people to believe that Gus and his wife would rather live in NWA, than where they currently do.

This is why it's so foolish (imo) to think it hinges on the outcome of one game, or two games, if he wants to come home the powers that be can work around ANY possible scenario that could play out, as far as bowl games, playoffs, or whatever happens.

The early signing period is OPTIONAL, that means nobody has to sign then, they can still wait an sign in Feb just like every other year.

READ THIS ONE ABOVE!  This is a BINGO!
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

fieldturf

Hatfield didn't go to Clemson until Jan 22!  So if Gus wins out we can wait.

East Clintwood

Quote from: fieldturf on November 21, 2017, 10:35:53 pm

And, at that time of year, there aren't any good coaches left to hire so we had to go with Jack Crowe.  That turned out well, didn't it?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

King Kong

We can't and won't wait past the week of Dec 5th

King Kong

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 21, 2017, 08:25:04 pm
Some new info:  It won't be Gus, and if it is, I'm finished with the Hogs.

Seems stupid. What if he wins?

I mean in year 5 with his players. He is either going to be 10-2 with 2 top 10 wins and most likely a playoff spot or 9-3 with a top 10 win and losses to 2 teams in the top four.

I'm not blind to Gus's flaws as a coach. But come on

Hawg Life

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 10:43:43 pm
Seems stupid. What if he wins?

I mean in year 5 with his players. He is either going to be 10-2 with 2 top 10 wins and most likely a playoff spot or 9-3 with a top 10 win and losses to 2 teams in the top four.

I'm not blind to Gus's flaws as a coach. But come on

How much are we going to have to spend on a QB? The only time he's won more than 8 was with a transfer QB. You do realize he won't have top 10 recruiting classes. He'll consistently win 7-8 games a season while make $6.5 million. Norvell will do the job and average 8 wins and have a higher ceiling.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 21, 2017, 11:17:07 pm
How much are we going to have to spend on a QB? The only time he's won more than 8 was with a transfer QB. You do realize he won't have top 10 recruiting classes. He'll consistently win 7-8 games a season while make $6.5 million. Norvell will do the job and average 8 wins and have a higher ceiling.

Well, good news hundreds of QB's Transfer every year. Gus will win more than 7 games a year here because he won't play UGA and Clemson every freaking year.

Much easier to play Mizz (Lock going pro) and Colorado State. Heck next year we get Vandy and after that Kentucky. Good times ahead.

I'll support Norvell but there is nothing to suggest he absolutely win 8 games a year here. Last year he only won 8 and I watched that Ole Piss game. That sorry Ole Piss Defense ate them alive.

hawgball40

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 21, 2017, 08:26:05 pm
I tend to agree. I think Gus reached out, via his agent or back channels of course, back when he had a couple "win or be fired" games this season. Then he beats Georgia, some of the heat dials down, and Gus backs away from his exit strategy a bit. Sexton though, as any good agent should, seizes the chance to play the raise game.

I'm sure plenty of folks here have had a moment in a current or previous job where something caused you to go look at/apply for other jobs. Then you most likely get a call back on a better day a few days or weeks later after the adversity had passed. By then, you might be in less need of an exit strategy. See it a lot in the vendor community, lol.

Gus has a different pressure cooker to deal with of course. He's gonna have heat at Auburn til Bama hits the skids in a post Saban, Crimson Tide apocalypse down cycle. Personally, I don't believe Gus will ever come here. That ship sailed in part during the Nutt drama and in part when we looked beyond him after the roadside ditch incident.  If getting closer to family is his goal, I could see him going to Okie St if T Boone gets tired of the mullet.  Just my opinion though...seems like Gus and the UofA are a bad timing kind of relationship.
or maybe, just maybe, someone inside of the BOT knows football enough to have a disdain for Gus' offense.

East Clintwood

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 11:23:52 pm
Well, good news hundreds of QB's Transfer every year. Gus will win more than 7 games a year here because he won't play UGA and Clemson every freaking year.

Much easier to play Mizz (Lock going pro) and Colorado State. Heck next year we get Vandy and after that Kentucky. Good times ahead.

I'll support Norvell but there is nothing to suggest he absolutely win 8 games a year here. Last year he only won 8 and I watched that Ole Piss game. That sorry Ole Piss Defense ate them alive.

Over the last 5 years, Arkansas's schedule was ranked more difficult every year.  They weren't that far apart but ours was always more difficult.

King Kong

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 22, 2017, 12:47:14 am
Over the last 5 years, Arkansas's schedule was ranked more difficult every year.  They weren't that far apart but ours was always more difficult.

Well, in part that is because we don't play ourselves. Auburn getting Arkansas makes there schedule easier it's currently and expected win and 4/5 that's been correct.  In addition they haven't played the Florida in the East.

But make no mistake Auburn has played Washington State, at Kansas State(ranked 20) Louisville neutral site, and Clemson a year they won the NC and this year were they are currently in the playoff and UGA every freaking year.

That is much more difficult than Rutgers, TT and TCU.

grayhawg

When Hatfield went to Clemson there wasn't an early signing period ad not the limited days to recruit as now.

BR

And lose this years Recruiting class
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hugo Bezdek

Jack Crowe is the answer to whether we should wait. You hire coaches when coaches are on the market.

GuvHog

Sheer Ignorance. There are recruits expected to sign during the early signing period. To wait til January to hire a Head coach is risking losing those players to other schools. That is NOT a risk the U of A can afford to take. A new coach must be hired and introduced within a couple of days after the conference championship games are played.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dropkick

Haha, your gonna trust Gus to leave after the playoff?

GuvHog

Quote from: Dropkick on November 22, 2017, 03:44:30 pm
Haha, your gonna trust Gus to leave after the playoff?

It doesn't matter. Arkansas won't wait that long.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Life

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2017, 11:23:52 pm

That was with Fuente's players.

fieldturf

Well I highly doubt Auburn wins the IB, but even if he did I would almost guarantee they wouldn't beat Georgia twice in the same year.  So then Gus would be free the 1st Monday of Dec.

davril98

ipigsooie

Quote from: davril98 on November 22, 2017, 06:28:25 pm
chip Kelley to UCLA
SN deleted the story. What a mess! Chip Kelly is more drama than Gus

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 04:08:50 pm
That was with Fuente's players.

Not all of them. Especially the QB who was SEC Caliber of HS.

Hawg Life

Quote from: King Kong on November 22, 2017, 07:48:00 pm

I hope we hire Norvell. Most of the Gus stories are smokescreen. We'll know soon.

lumphog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:11:32 pm
I hope we hire Norvell. Most of the Gus stories are smokescreen. We'll know soon.
I hope you're RIGHT buddy... or Leach   ;D

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:11:32 pm

Im not anti Norvell. But I'm not sure he is a slam dunk. I see a lot of positives but there are questions that can't/won't be answered unless he is hired.

Also despite Gus's flaws in QB development. He puts together some teams that can really run the ball down teams throat and wear them out. I think he would be successful here.

hawgon

All three of those would be much better than Bert.  Malzahn is proven if unspectacular.  Norvell is extremely exciting.  And Leach, though older, because of the way his career has gone, still has something to prove.  He would be hungry to win.

Hawg Life

Quote from: King Kong on November 22, 2017, 08:46:44 pm
Im not anti Norvell. But I'm not sure he is a slam dunk. I see a lot of positives but there are questions that can't/won't be answered unless he is hired.

Also despite Gus's flaws in QB development. He puts together some teams that can really run the ball down teams throat and wear them out. I think he would be successful here.

Bielema tried that too. The difference is top 10 classes that he won't get here. Pinnacle Preps, paying Cam, and pictures of  Dakota Mosley with a lot of cash on his recruiting trip are all very concerning. There are about to be sanctions put on Auburn, and I think Gus may be trying to get out of town. This whole homecoming is nonsense. Gus is for Gus. Norvell has the offense with out the baggage. Hire a top notch DC with the savings. I've done plenty of reading up on Norvell, and I believe he's the lightning in a bottle type hire we need.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:53:40 pm
Bielema tried that too. The difference is top 10 classes that he won't get here. Pinnacle Preps, paying Cam, and pictures of  Dakota Mosley with a lot of cash on his recruiting trip are all very concerning. There are about to be sanctions put on Auburn, and I think Gus may be trying to get out of town. This whole homecoming is nonsense. Gus is for Gus. Norvell has the offense with out the baggage. Hire a top notch DC with the savings. I've done plenty of reading up on Norvell, and I believe he's the lightning in a bottle type hire we need.

Then you had better do two things:

(1) hope that Auburn wins Saturday, and

(2) hope that Auburn beats Georgia the following Saturday.

Dark Helmet Hog

hobhog

ricepig

texas tush hog

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 21, 2017, 08:25:04 pm
Some new info:  It won't be Gus, and if it is, I'm finished with the Hogs.

Bye.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 08:56:12 pm
Then you had better do two things:

(1) hope that Auburn wins Saturday, and

(2) hope that Auburn beats Georgia the following Saturday.

But, do we want to be that school?  Are the PTB gonna make us be a sniveling begging program.  Tell Gus he has until 6 hours after the Iron Bowl to decide.  If he can't make the choice then, move on.  It looks really, really bad for us if we wait until after a SEC Championship game.  I don't mind letting him finish the regular season.  I don't even care if he coaches them in a championship and or bowl game/playoff, but pull a Kirby Smart and start working our job while coaching there.  Make Auburn chose between a title and their pride.

SlickWilly

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:53:40 pm

Agreed.

Norvell is a risk, sure. But I'm much more willing to take that risk than take all the baggage that comes with Gus.

farmhawg

Mike or mike, to Hell with the rest.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 22, 2017, 12:47:14 am

Our schedule will always be more difficult because we aren't playing ourselves. Take a 9 or 10 win Auburn off our schedule and replace with Vandy and our SOS would go down.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 10:53:26 pm
Our schedule will always be more difficult because we aren't playing ourselves. Take a 9 or 10 win Auburn off our schedule and replace with Vandy and our SOS would go down.

But if Gus comes here, he'll inherit our tougher schedule because he'll have to play Auburn.

So, tougher schedule and lower ranked recruits equals less wins.  Instead of his 8wpy he drops to 6.5wpy and all of the drama that'll follow him here.  Let's pass.  There are better options out there.

The Kig

Quote from: King Kong on November 22, 2017, 07:48:00 pm

Lolz... SEC caliber but playing in a JV conference... Riiiiggghhhttt.
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 23, 2017, 01:28:35 am
But if Gus comes here, he'll inherit our tougher schedule because he'll have to play Auburn.

So, tougher schedule and lower ranked recruits equals less wins.  Instead of his 8wpy he drops to 6.5wpy and all of the drama that'll follow him here.  Let's pass.  There are better options out there.

So will Super-Mike and he won't be coaching against the vaunted Sunbelt/AAC talent.   Why do people think that a greenhorn with a terrible Defense in a nothing league is an upgrade over coaches who have actually...you know, coached against SEC teams?
Poker Porker

twistitup

Quote from: GuvHog on November 18, 2017, 10:22:31 am
Agreed. Also Gus coming right from coaching High School football to being named OC at Arkansas was an insult to other members of the coaching staff who had worked their butts off for years as college assistants trying to attain that status. To one who isn't wearing Gus blinders, it's easy to understand why they were highly upset about it.

The'old guard' always dislikes and /or is sceptical of new personalities and ideas...still alive and well today in our world.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The Kig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 10:01:51 pm
But, do we want to be that school?  Are the PTB gonna make us be a sniveling begging program.

Probably not.. They are gonna raise the white flag of victory and steal a coach who has done nothing from a school that nobody cares about.  #winning.
Poker Porker

King Kong

Quote from: The Kig on November 23, 2017, 07:09:02 am
Lolz... SEC caliber but playing in a JV conference... Riiiiggghhhttt.

Riley Ferguson signed with UT out of HS moron. Some places had him as a 4 Star was in the Elite 11

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2013/riley-ferguson-15218

Please don't post without knowing what you are talking about

The Kig

Quote from: King Kong on November 23, 2017, 07:21:25 am
Riley Ferguson signed with UT out of HS moron. Some places had him as a 4 Star was in the Elite 11

And yet he is playing at Memphis State because he chose to be there instead of UT?  Mmm-Kay.

Even according to your awesome Intel, he was the 19th rated player in his state...Definitely SEC caliber.
Poker Porker

King Kong

Quote from: The Kig on November 23, 2017, 07:24:17 am
And yet he is playing at Memphis State because he chose to be there instead of UT?  Mmm-Kay.

Even according to your awesome Intel, he was the 19th rated player in his state...Definitely SEC caliber.

He transferred. Committed to Dooley. Transferred because he didn't fit Butch Jones Running QB style

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/112891/riley-ferguson

The Kig

Quote from: King Kong on November 23, 2017, 07:27:34 am
He transferred.

So? Lots of players who can't cut it transfer...and he didn't cut it at Tenner, who is awful and fired their coach.  So high-five! The kid can play at a JV school in a JV conference.
Poker Porker

King Kong

Quote from: The Kig on November 23, 2017, 07:30:40 am
So? Lots of players who can't cut it transfer...and he didn't cut it at Tenner, who is awful and fired their coach.  So high-five! The kid can play at a JV school in a JV conference.

All I ever said was he was SEC Caliber out of HS. You made several ignorant comments about that statement which was fact.

I proved it was fact. Now you are changing your argument. One I never agreed or disagreed with.

The Kig

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 23, 2017, 07:41:06 am
If you're a Gus Man Crusher, and it appears that you are. He's never won more that 8 games without a transfer QB, and he don't mind paying them to play. There are 4 AAC teams ranked and 2 of the hottest coaches in the nation. The SEC is down this year that's why 6-7 coaches could be on the move. Norvell is on everyone's short list, and has the offense we need, it's easier to recruit offense than defense. Your football IQ is not very high.

Actually,  you're dead wrong.  Just because I don't think a guy with no real coaching experience isn't the right pick doesn't make me a Gus guy.  Gus would be my 3rd option.  Norvell would only be an option if the first 4 said no...and we would become the 2018 LSU.  Norvell isn't at the top of anyone's short list.   He is on the list at several schools, but only if their first few say no, including Arkansas. 

My football IQ is just fine...thanks.  Completely irrelevant, so I won't call you a moron for wanting a JV coach over actual coaches.

Edit:  We haven't been recruiting defense, which is a big part of the why Bert will be looking for work soon. So you're suggesting that hiring a coach whose defensive philosophy is score more points on offense?  And you deem it wise to question my football IQ, lol.
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 23, 2017, 07:41:06 am
If you're a Gus Man Crusher, and it appears that you are. He's never won more that 8 games without a transfer QB, and he don't mind paying them to play. There are 4 AAC teams ranked and 2 of the hottest coaches in the nation. The SEC is down this year that's why 6-7 coaches could be on the move. Norvell is on everyone's short list, and has the offense we need, it's easier to recruit offense than defense. Your football IQ is not very high.

Quote from: The Kig on November 23, 2017, 07:51:52 am
Actually,  you're dead wrong.  Just because I don't think a guy with no real coaching experience isn't the right pick doesn't make me a Gus guy.  Gus would be my 3rd option.  Norvell would only be an option if the first 4 said no...and we would become the 2018 LSU.  Norvell isn't at the top of anyone's short list.   He is on the list at several schools, but only if their first few say no, including Arkansas. 

My football IQ is just fine...thanks.  Completely irrelevant, so I won't call you a moron for wanting a JV coach over actual coaches.

The return of Malzahn brings with it several problems and as far as Norvell goes, I'm not certain that he is the answer either.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 07:59:57 am
The return of Malzahn brings with it several problems and as far as Norvell goes, I'm not certain that he is the answer either.

Finally... A voice of reason joins me in defense against the mass of lunacy.
Poker Porker

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 22, 2017, 10:53:26 pm

What about the past few years when it's still been ranked high and it was a 7/8 win Auburn team, and that was our record, too?