Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happened in the locker room at halftime at LSU ?

Started by mike_the_geek, February 13, 2017, 08:54:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_the_geek

Whatever it was, the Hogs came out ON FIRE in the second half.  Anderson and staff had better remember whatever they said, bottle it up, and keep using that every game until it doesn't work anymore.  It's a shame we can't come out with that intensity and focus for every game at home and on the road, and not have to end up in a huge hole with backs against the wall before the players start giving a care.  Of course I know LSU wasn't very good so you have to temper your feelings about how well we played in the second half. 

BUT, what makes it so difficult is that we've seen glimpses of how we want the Hogs to play ALL THE TIME, but whatever the situation and reasons, the staff can't get them to do it consistently.  I think that's the strongest argument for a coaching change - to get a coach up there who through scheme, motivation, fear, practices, etc. can get the most out of the players game in and game out. 

I think part of Anderson's problem is that he's too nice and just not mean enough.  Kind of the same way I felt about Stan Heath - regardless of my thoughts about his X's and O's and style, he just didn't have the respect/fear of the players and couldn't consistently get the most effort from them.  Nolan put the fear of God in his players and literally abused them in practice, but he got more consistent effort from them in the games.

There was a thorough analysis of the amount of punkin LSU administered in the first half. After quick film study, it was determined that a) they were punkin us and b) we should make it stop. 

greasy_corner

Quote from: Karma on February 13, 2017, 09:07:02 am
There was a thorough analysis of the amount of punkin LSU administered in the first half. After quick film study, it was determined that a) they were punkin us and b) we should make it stop. 

Coach Cleveland fell asleep in the corner of the locker room, so the training staff decided to have a little fun with him by trying his shoelaces together. 

Coach Watkins reminded the team to "make sure you use the restroom" before going back on the court for the start of the second half. 

lutherheggs

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 13, 2017, 09:25:11 am
Coach Cleveland fell asleep in the corner of the locker room, so the training staff decided to have a little fun with him by trying his shoelaces together. 

Coach Watkins reminded the team to "make sure you use the restroom" before going back on the court for the start of the second half.
lol.

Kevin

lsu went into their on locker room, and their coach started talking
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Biggus Piggus

Barford, Hannahs, Kingsley, Macon and Thomas started the second half.

Beard, Bailey, Barford, Hannahs and Kingsley started the first half.

That's a lot of it. Arkansas also went to a zone defense in the second half.

LSU was 1-5 shooting to begin the second half, with a bunch of turnovers. The zone was effective and disruptive.
[CENSORED]!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 13, 2017, 10:42:27 am
Barford, Hannahs, Kingsley, Macon and Thomas started the second half.

Beard, Bailey, Barford, Hannahs and Kingsley started the first half.

That's a lot of it. Arkansas also went to a zone defense in the second half.

LSU was 1-5 shooting to begin the second half, with a bunch of turnovers. The zone was effective and disruptive.

I think we should stick with the guard line up of Hannah and Macon. Macon was left wide open for a 3 point shot on the out of bounce play simply because two guys where trying to guard Hannah. Thomas made some shots and Kingsley effort on defense was much better in the second half. We need a good start against South Carolina.

If we get some solid play from Kingsley in the post Arkansas has a chance.

cardsNhogs

We hit shots in the second half. It wasnt because we were getting better looks by design either.

razoredge178

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 13, 2017, 11:05:16 am
I think we should stick with the guard line up of Hannah and Macon. Macon was left wide open for a 3 point shot on the out of bounce play simply because two guys where trying to guard Hannah. Thomas made some shots and Kingsley effort on defense was much better in the second half. We need a good start against South Carolina.

If we get some solid play from Kingsley in the post Arkansas has a chance.

CMA got them boys to increase their "tensity."

hogsanity

A week after losing to the worst team in the sec they heard MIzzu had won again and now LSU was the worst team in the SEC. Being down 14 at half to a team WORSE THAN MIZZU made pure fear take over. That and lack of defense from LSU produced a good 2nd half for the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 13, 2017, 11:18:34 am
We hit shots in the second half. It wasnt because we were getting better looks by design either.

BS. We went to a zone and the open looks came as a result of pushing the ball hard after turnovers and rebounds. By doing that you get the defense out of position and they are scrambling to find their man.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 13, 2017, 11:27:46 am
BS. We went to a zone and the open looks came as a result of pushing the ball hard after turnovers and rebounds. By doing that you get the defense out of position and they are scrambling to find their man.
The shots we were making wasn't because we went zone

ShadowHawg

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 13, 2017, 11:33:57 am
The shots we were making wasn't because we went zone

The zone created turnovers and tough shots that led to the run outs. How could you not see that?

Another thing that makes me wonder if most of the people on here ever even played a sport is understanding the importance of confidence for players. Often the only difference between a lot players is simply confidence and ours took a big hit at Mizzou and with Vandy. When we started turning them over our guys gained a ton of confidence and blew them away in the second half.

That zone started turning them over and led to easy run outs like I said and got LSU out of position on defense. They were often CHASING guys because they weren't able to find their man early in the possession. That absolutely allowed Dusty to shake loose for at least 2 that he made and it opened up driving lanes where we went right down the gut of their defense because when the defense is playing catch up they are out of position to provide help.

In basketball, defense absolutely affects offense and vice versa.

LRHawg

cardsNhogs

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 13, 2017, 11:42:33 am
The zone created turnovers and tough shots that led to the run outs. How could you not see that?

Another thing that makes me wonder if most of the people on here ever even played a sport is understanding the importance of confidence for players. Often the only difference between a lot players is simply confidence and ours took a big hit at Mizzou and with Vandy. When we started turning them over our guys gained a ton of confidence and blew them away in the second half.

That zone started turning them over and led to easy run outs like I said and got LSU out of position on defense. They were often CHASING guys because they weren't able to find their man early in the possession. That absolutely allowed Dusty to shake loose for at least 2 that he made and it opened up driving lanes where we went right down the gut of their defense because when the defense is playing catch up they are out of position to provide help.

In basketball, defense absolutely affects offense and vice versa.
This equals lay-ups or dunks due to having numbers. 3on1, 4on2, etc.. Transition threes are not exactly "easy"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 13, 2017, 11:27:46 am

No crap. This team can be very good when it gets stops. When the opponent's always back in halfcourt D when we arrive, the Hogs are blah. When opponents score on sooooo many possessions, it's disheartening.

Pressure man, full or halfcourt, has been crap for this team. The zone enabled the Hogs to use their strengths. Asking this team to be quick is a mistake.
[CENSORED]!

EastexHawg

A terrible LSU team played to its capabilities.  There is a reason why they have the worst record in the SEC, which is saying something considering how awful the basketball in this conference is.

jm

I am always amazed to see how many people really believe that something special happens at halftime that creates a totally new offense. There are no adjustments made to the players individual games. Good shooters continue to shoot, good defensive players continue to defend,  and good rebounders continue to rebound. The coaches may see something in the stat sheets that they try to plan for in the second half, but for the most part they do not add anything that has not been practiced time and time again.

HogBreath

Coach Mike made every player eat a huge slice of Punkin pie.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Our pressure man to man D hasn't been decent in years, maybe 20 years.  The slap and grab, stand and watch, falter and fail is not a defensive strategy. 

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Karma on February 13, 2017, 09:07:02 am

Made me spit my lunch.  good job!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy