Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wonder what Nolan thinks of the current state of Hog basketball.

Started by rzrbkman, February 10, 2017, 08:41:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

Jackrabbit Hog

No, but he'd be blaming it on something or someone other than Mike.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

mjsphd

Couldn't blame Nolan for that.  He considers MA to be like a son.

Biggus Piggus

From what I gather, the Hogs' situation stems from the mix of players. The top three guards - Hannahs, Macon, Barford - are all ball hogs. Last season, Kingsley stepped into the Portis role, and he got just as many touches as Portis had the year before.

Not only do the Hogs have four ball hogs with no point guard, but they also have the three guards generally competing against each other for two starting jobs.

Top five players in minutes for Arkansas's games since SEC play began:

Florida - L
Macon, Kingsley, Hannahs, Beard, Watkins.

Tennessee - W
Kingsley, Hannahs, Thomas, Macon, Beard

Kentucky - L
Kingsley, Watkins, Macon, Hannahs-Beard (tie)

Miss St. - L
Kingsley, Hannahs, Beard, Thomas, Macon

Missouri (home) - W
Kingsley, Beard-Macon (tie), Hannahs, Watkins

Texas A&M - W
Kingsley, Hannahs, Macon, Barford-Watkins (tie)

LSU - W
Beard-Barford (tie), Macon, Kingsley, Cook

Vanderbilt (road) - W
Barford-Macon (tie), Kingsley, Hannahs, Beard

Oklahoma St. - L
Beard-Barford (tie), Kingsley, Macon, Hannahs

Alabama - W
Barford-Beard-Kingsley-Macon (tie), Watkins

Missouri (road) - L
Barford-Macon (tie), Beard, Hannahs, Kingsley

Vanderbilt (home) - L
Hannahs, Kingsley, Beard, Macon, Watkins

You've seen minutes yoyo up and down for Barford and Hannahs, especially. But also for Beard and Watkins. Kingsley and Macon are the only players who were in the top five for minutes every game.

That battle for minutes + control of possessions -- it has wreaked havoc on the morale of this basketball team.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 10, 2017, 09:13:27 am
From what I gather, the Hogs' situation stems from the mix of players. The top three guards - Hannahs, Macon, Barford - are all ball hogs. Last season, Kingsley stepped into the Portis role, and he got just as many touches as Portis had the year before.

Not only do the Hogs have four ball hogs with no point guard, but they also have the three guards generally competing against each other for two starting jobs.

That battle for minutes + control of possessions -- it has wreaked havoc on the morale of this basketball team.

Does that have anything to do with not having at least some set plays they could go to instead of just the "motion" offense. OR, would it matter?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2017, 09:22:19 am
Does that have anything to do with not having at least some set plays they could go to instead of just the "motion" offense. OR, would it matter?

The motion offense worsens the problem, sure. They are supposed to share the ball in this offense. Be selfless. When they decide not to do that, all we have is iso, when we aren't doing pick and roll with Moses.
[CENSORED]!

TushCrush

It ends up being more of a "no motion" offense on the perimeter these days. One guy dribbling and three guys standing around. Eventually somebody jacks up a 25 footer.

riccoar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 10, 2017, 09:27:19 am
The motion offense worsens the problem, sure. They are supposed to share the ball in this offense. Be selfless. When they decide not to do that, all we have is iso, when we aren't doing pick and roll with Moses.
To be fair, Kingsley's body positioning and language does not exactly scream "throw the ball down to me, this guy is not getting around me".

Atlhogfan1

To the OP, I feel bad for Nolan as we know how much he wants Mike to succeed.  He is also a HOF coach and understands how poorly the team is playing.  He also has been honest of Mike in his opinions in the past ie calling him stubborn.

To Biggus' point:

This is Mike's worst team at Arkansas statistically in assist per FGM.

Hogs .524 177th in college basketball.  His first Arkansas team was .536 which ranked 173rd.

Last season 44th .587
14-15:  49th .592
13-14: 72nd  .561
12-13: 117th .558
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cityhog

Quote from: TushCrush on February 10, 2017, 09:31:22 am
It ends up being more of a "no motion" offense on the perimeter these days. One guy dribbling and three guys standing around. Eventually somebody jacks up a 25 footer.

been that way the last 15 years or so

cityhog

In all seriousness, you know it pains him. Here is is, sitting in the building that he, along with Eddie, 'built'. It is 30% full and a ghost of the enthusiasm that once filled 'The Palace'. He's watching his 'son' get drilled with 7 3 pointers in the first 5 minutes. So yeah, he left early. I'm sure there are some fatherly phone calls taking place about how the 'family business' is being run. By all accounts, Mike has something the Nolan never had - a supportive AD.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cityhog on February 10, 2017, 11:23:30 am
In all seriousness, you know it pains him. Here is is, sitting in the building that he, along with Eddie, 'built'. It is 30% full and a ghost of the enthusiasm that once filled 'The Palace'. He's watching his 'son' get drilled with 7 3 pointers in the first 5 minutes. So yeah, he left early. I'm sure there are some fatherly phone calls taking place about how the 'family business' is being run. By all accounts, Mike has something the Nolan never had - a supportive AD.

Eddie "built" Barnhill, from a sawdust floored high school gym to a marvelous arena.

Nolan built BWA, with the incredibly upward trajectory of the program that peaked in '94-'95.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LRHawg

I think Nolan will understand if Mike is let go. I'm sure it's killing him, though. Nobody wants him to succeed more.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mjsphd on February 10, 2017, 08:47:34 am
Couldn't blame Nolan for that.  He considers MA to be like a son.

I love my son but I'll admit when he screws up.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 08:43:54 am

he's not; he's too smart for that. but he does love mike like a son, so outwardly you're probably dead on.

nolan knows better. you just KNOW he's cringing worse than anyone else....
The rest of the frog.

Drop the Mike

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LRHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:52:35 am
I think Nolan will understand if Mike is let go. I'm sure it's killing him, though. Nobody wants him to succeed more.

I think deep down that would be the case. But I don't think that is what he will express verbally

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 10, 2017, 09:27:19 am
I was watching Oregon and UCLA last night and Oregon ran the motion offense. But the main difference was they didn't have a big man in the paint clogging up the lane when they ran it leaving plenty of room for cutters and the dribble drive. Barford would kill for that. They had their big man in the corner freeing up the lane. And if the man covering him came to help on the drive they would dish it to their man for an easy layup or dunk. We should definitely use some of that. Plus Moses is a decent shooter.

cityhog

BRHogfan

I wonder what a phone call between Mike and Nolan is about. 

I wonder if Mike asked Nolan for advice what Nolan would say. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 10, 2017, 12:41:47 pm
I wonder what a phone call between Mike and Nolan is about. 

I wonder if Mike asked Nolan for advice what Nolan would say.
You would think he would. I would pick his brain everyday if I could.

Sivad

jusgtohogs

Quote from: LRHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:52:35 am
could hardly disagree with you more.  my bet is that his perspective would be that MA needs more time

LRHawg

I didn't listen to the podcast, did anyone that did notice if they asked Nolan about the state of the hogs, and if so what he said?

LRHawg

Quote from: jusgtohogs on February 10, 2017, 12:51:29 pm
could hardly disagree with you more.  my bet is that his perspective would be that MA needs more time

I could see this as well, especially if asked publicly about it. I think deep down Nolan knows Mike isn't getting it done, though.

Justifiable Hogicide

Nolan's past history suggests he will blame Mike's fail on redneck fans, the unattractive city of Fayetteville and a racist administration, just before advising Mike to file a lawsuit against the University. So who cares what Nolan Richardson thinks.

hogman99

Quote from: TushCrush on February 10, 2017, 09:31:22 am

That is exactly what I see at the McGee Center in Conway when I am walking the track.

cityhog

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on February 10, 2017, 01:01:42 pm
Nolan's past history suggests he will blame Mike's fail on redneck fans, the unattractive city of Fayetteville and a racist administration, just before advising Mike to file a lawsuit against the University. So who cares what Nolan Richardson thinks.

apart from the filing a lawsuit, what about Nolan's statement is false?

GuvHog

Quote from: riccoar on February 10, 2017, 09:35:42 am
To be fair, Kingsley's body positioning and language does not exactly scream "throw the ball down to me, this guy is not getting around me".

IMO Moses is a 4 spot player being asked to play the 5 spot. He prefers to play facing the basket and is not the type of big man that is dominant with his back to the basket. He's just not comfortable playing that way. Arkansas doesn't have a big man on the team who is dominant with his back to the basket and that is the BIG problem with this team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cityhog on February 10, 2017, 01:30:42 pm
apart from the filing a lawsuit, what about Nolan's statement is false?

I'd argue that most of the fans aren't rednecks.  The majority of those in BWA appear to be white-haired octogenarian holdovers from the Sutton and Richardson years.  And Fayetteville is unattractive compared to what?  Lake Village?  Hoxie?  Jonesboro?  Sorry, those statements don't hold water.

cityhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 01:34:23 pm
I'd argue that most of the fans aren't rednecks.  The majority of those in BWA appear to be white-haired octogenarian holdovers from the Sutton and Richardson years.  And Fayetteville is unattractive compared to what?  Lake Village?  Hoxie?  Jonesboro?  Sorry, those statements don't hold water.

white-haired octogenarian holdovers can still be rednecks. Fayetteville is attractive for Arkansas.

Jackrabbit Hog

Sivad

Quote from: cityhog on February 10, 2017, 01:38:25 pm
white-haired octogenarian holdovers can still be rednecks. Fayetteville is attractive for Arkansas.
Fayetteville was just named one of the top five places to live in the entire United States and "rednecks" did not have anything to do with Anderson's poor record.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 10, 2017, 12:46:20 pm
You would think he would. I would pick his brain everyday if I could.

and MIke is probably too stubborn to listen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2017, 02:09:24 pm
and MIke is probably too stubborn to listen.

To be honest, I think Mike's problem is he is intent on coaching the style that Nolan taught him but unfortunately due to rule changes and added TV timeouts, that style of play doesn't work any more.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Kevin

Quote from: Sivad on February 10, 2017, 01:41:58 pm
Fayetteville was just named one of the top five places to live in the entire United States and "rednecks" did not have anything to do with Anderson's poor record.

for the 2nd year in a row
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: rzrbkman on February 10, 2017, 08:41:55 am
Would he be accepting of CMA's coaching results?

Who cares what Nolan thinks. He is the reason we are in the mess where in now. Good coaches wouldn't even answer phone, or left after seeing the dumpster fire that was here. Thanks for some good times Nolan, but I've moved on from Nolan. I'm ready to Build a championship caliber team that is expected to win 25+ games per year and fight for a national championship each year.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on February 10, 2017, 03:28:18 pm
To be honest, I think Mike's problem is he is intent on coaching the style that Nolan taught him but unfortunately due to rule changes and added TV timeouts, that style of play doesn't work any more.

Oh I have said for years he only knows one way, and is either incapable or unwilling to learn anything else.

DLUXHOG

Betcha he's thinking "dayummm... I was good wasn't I"
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

southeasthog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 10, 2017, 11:53:41 am
I love my son but I'll admit when he screws up.
You must be "Old School." Today's parents go out of their way to argue that their kid does no wrong. Working in a school district lets me see this every day.

phadedhawg

Yep, this exactly.  I will forever hold Nolan in high regard for the excitement he brought us but I think he probably feels Anderson's potential success would validate that he was right and the PTB were wrong.  Of course all of that is beside the point but we know Nolan is good at holding a grudge.  That fire in the first 3/4 of his career at Arkansas kept the engine running red hot.  The final days of Richardson resembled the best Anderson has to offer. 

Folks just going thru the motions.

During the Alabama game recently, Dusty Hannahs committed a stupid foul (threw an elbow while driving to the basket and was out of control).  When he went to the bench the cameras followed.  We got to see Beard clowning at Dusty about it.  I was thinking, back in the day if a player had done that, Nolan might have murdered them.  Not for committing a foul but for not taking the situation seriously.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: southeasthog on February 10, 2017, 04:46:53 pm
You must be "Old School." Today's parents go out of their way to argue that their kid does no wrong. Working in a school district lets me see this every day.

I gotta admit that is true! Our daughter worked in the schools as a psychologist and she'll vouch for that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogwood

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 10, 2017, 10:12:32 am
Obviously not very good seeing as he left in the first half of the Vandy game

Wow he did? Like intentionally walking out? Or just had to go? Pretty serious if so.

hogwood

Quote from: Sivad on February 10, 2017, 01:41:58 pm

This is important, as Fayetteville is a really superb town. But that kind of rating is for families or Walmartians. 18 year old black kids from Memphis or Dallas or St. Louis come here and to them this is the end of the world as they know it. It's a culture shock and that can be hard to overcome in recruiting. I think that is why Mike sells the family thing so much because he really has to try and make these kids comfortable.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on February 10, 2017, 06:38:21 pm
This is important, as Fayetteville is a really superb town. But that kind of rating is for families or Walmartians. 18 year old black kids from Memphis or Dallas or St. Louis come here and to them this is the end of the world as they know it. It's a culture shock and that can be hard to overcome in recruiting. I think that is why Mike sells the family thing so much because he really has to try and make these kids comfortable.

Kind of like Oregon recruiting to Eugene which has an African American population % of just over 1%. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 06:56:24 pm
Kind of like Oregon recruiting to Eugene which has an African American population % of just over 1%.

Probably. But Dana Altman is a better recruiter and coach, plus they have Nike - so that's like way more than we have. I've lived in Oregon before and know lots of folks from Eugene many who went to U of O. Not many people of color there but the athletes live in their own Nike alternate reality anyways.

cityhog

Quote from: Kevin on February 10, 2017, 03:29:06 pm
for the 2nd year in a row
I'm just more of a city guy I guess. Fun place to go to school though.

cityhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 10, 2017, 06:56:24 pm

Oregon = Nike. That cannot be underestimated in the equation. Arkansas = Walmart.