Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are looking at the wrong guy

Started by zuko, February 09, 2017, 11:05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zuko

If you look at the whole sports picture in Arkansas you have to come up with the same thing that I do. Arkansas is a Track school as much as Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, NC, etc. are basketball schools. High school stars from all over, including foreign schools, want to come to be in Arkansas track program. Take a look at the rest of the programs and I mean the ones that are included as majors; basketball, football, baseball. It seems they all have the same problem and that is they don't have that one or two players that can make the difference between being a perennial contender and not. It's not the coaches, it's the players and I believe that all of these coaches have their hands tied by the AD on how far they can go to bring talent in. When Bielema came here, all of his assistants came with him and within a year or so, they are all gone.l Why? probably because they were limited on what they can offer a kid, too hard to recruit. Mike Anderson came here wanting to re-employ that 40 minutes of hell. and probably couldn't bring in the hell racers he wanted. When major sports programs at a school like Arkansas are lacking as they are now, there can only be one reason, the AD is holding them back. I keep saying it that Jeff Long is an educator first and then an AD and he is afraid of losing that academic rating. You can't have it both ways. I believe the was too severe in firing Bobby Petrino setting the program back years but maybe there was more to it than just that one departure from morality for Petrino. Look at Bobby now.

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

SultanofSwine

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: zuko on February 09, 2017, 11:05:14 pm
If you look at the whole sports picture in Arkansas you have to come up with the same thing that I do. Arkansas is a Track school as much as Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, NC, etc. are basketball schools. High school stars from all over, including foreign schools, want to come to be in Arkansas track program. Take a look at the rest of the programs and I mean the ones that are included as majors; basketball, football, baseball. It seems they all have the same problem and that is they don't have that one or two players that can make the difference between being a perennial contender and not. It's not the coaches, it's the players and I believe that all of these coaches have their hands tied by the AD on how far they can go to bring talent in. When Bielema came here, all of his assistants came with him and within a year or so, they are all gone.l Why? probably because they were limited on what they can offer a kid, too hard to recruit. Mike Anderson came here wanting to re-employ that 40 minutes of hell. and probably couldn't bring in the hell racers he wanted. When major sports programs at a school like Arkansas are lacking as they are now, there can only be one reason, the AD is holding them back. I keep saying it that Jeff Long is an educator first and then an AD and he is afraid of losing that academic rating. You can't have it both ways. I believe the was too severe in firing Bobby Petrino setting the program back years but maybe there was more to it than just that one departure from morality for Petrino. Look at Bobby now.

Cool story bro. You write nice fiction.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Yeehaw!!! Another I hate Jeff Long thread.  I miss the good ole I hate JFB and the GOB threads or the sweet I hate White threads.

If you look at the whole sports picture in Arkansas you have to come up with the same thing that I do. Arkansas is a Track school as much as Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, NC, etc. are basketball schools. High school stars from all over, including foreign schools, want to come to be in Arkansas track program. Take a look at the rest of the programs and I mean the ones that are included as majors; basketball, football, baseball.

It seems they all have the same problem and that is they don't have that one or two players that can make the difference between being a perennial contender and not. It's not the coaches, it's the players and I believe that all of these coaches have their hands tied by the AD on how far they can go to bring talent in.

When Bielema came here, all of his assistants came with him and within a year or so, they are all gone.l Why? probably because they were limited on what they can offer a kid, too hard to recruit. Mike Anderson came here wanting to re-employ that 40 minutes of hell. and probably couldn't bring in the hell racers he wanted.

When major sports programs at a school like Arkansas are lacking as they are now, there can only be one reason, the AD is holding them back. I keep saying it that Jeff Long is an educator first and then an AD and he is afraid of losing that academic rating. You can't have it both ways. I believe the was too severe in firing Bobby Petrino setting the program back years but maybe there was more to it than just that one departure from morality for Petrino. Look at Bobby now.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BRHogfan

"You can't have it both ways"

Yeah... you have to have it both ways.  You can't have an athletic program if you can't take care of the academics.

hogsanity

I guess we could go the Baylor route, bring in some undesirable human types, let them do whatever they want to whoever they want, cover it up when they do, maybe drive a victim or 2 to harm themselves by portraying them as responsible for what happened to them, all in the pursuit of a few more wins.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Boar War

So either you want the AD to lower the academic standards to bring previously ineligible athletes in or you want him to "grease the skids" so we can bring in the "top" recruits.

He can't do the first (he doesn't have the power) and I hope he doesn't do the second.

Hoggish1

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 10, 2017, 07:14:59 am
"You can't have it both ways"

Yeah... you have to have it both ways.  You can't have an athletic program if you can't take care of the academics.

Why does Stanford have it both ways, then?

Hogginintheville

RagingHawgOn

1highhog

Yep, look at Bobby now.  What do you want us to look at with Bobby?  This past season his team started with a bang and ended with a fizzle, losing their last 3 games, and once again Bobby was caught up throwing a tantrum during the Houston game and also a little white lie pertaining the Wake Forest Leaks, http://www.businessinsider.com/louisville-wakeyleaks-info-bobby-petrino-wake-forest-2016-12

Yeah, good ole Bobby, he's such a nice boy, says his Maw.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

JayBell

Quote from: zuko on February 12, 2017, 03:49:43 pmIs this an English class or a sports forum?

Sports forums can adhere to basic English tenements too.  But, we might have had terrible people in our lives who cared about education as much as our athletic success.

zuko

Quote from: JayBell on February 13, 2017, 09:36:25 am
Sports forums can adhere to basic English tenements too.  But, we might have had terrible people in our lives who cared about education as much as our athletic success.
OK, I agree but all you will get is what you have now.