Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our style of play is insanely stupid

Started by Biggus Piggus, February 09, 2017, 03:38:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

In SEC games only:

Arkansas leads the league in 3-point shooting accuracy, at 39%. That is an outstanding number.

Problem is: Arkansas is 11th in the league in 3-point scoring. Why? Our offense forces the ball inside ALL THE darned TIME.

The defensive numbers are sheer nonsense.

* 11th in effective field goal % defense.
* 14th in opponents' free throw attempts / field goal attempts (frequency of fouling).
* 10th in defensive rebounding %.
* 9th in forced turnovers, despite being 3rd in steals = not playing disruptive defense.

But the offense is equally dumb, because we favor our weakness and ignore our strength. BECAUSE: damn motion offense.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

It doesn't matter what style of offense a team plays............they also have to play defense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WilsonHog

The most disappointing thing to me is that when Mike was hired I believed we would play great defense. That was supposedly his calling card, the impetus behind his own comment that we would "pick them up off the bus."

For 25 years, under first Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson, we were known for defense. Totally different styles, but still a point of emphasis.

Mike either can't coach it or the players he recruited cannot play it.

SPAL

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 09, 2017, 03:40:07 pm
It doesn't matter what style of offense a team plays............they also have to play defense.

That's just the problem. Our offense hinges on our defense. We are best when we can play transition basketball. If we allow teams to hit 60% of their shots and can't force turnovers, we have no offense. Mike has no ability to play half court basketball.

Tortfeasor

Defense is horrible. A sports show in Nashville commented a few weeks ago that MA's press was horrible and that Bob Huggins press would run circles around ours. Not sure why we press, but it is not effective.

When you can't wear down a team of 8 players and you allow them to shoot lights out in your own gym, you have major problems.

cableguy

I've been lamenting the same thing without the stats. It's the main reason we start slow because CMA insist on throwing the ball to Kingsley who acts surprised every time he gets double team. Kingsley is below average passer. The few times our guards cut to the basket and he tries to pass it gets deflected or stolen. A lot of teams make the NCAA tournament relying on the three.

klp1

Quote from: Tortfeasor on February 09, 2017, 05:34:16 pm
Defense is horrible. A sports show in Nashville commented a few weeks ago that MA's press was horrible and that Bob Huggins press would run circles around ours. Not sure why we press, but it is not effective.

When you can't wear down a team of 8 players and you allow them to shoot lights out in your own gym, you have major problems.

I watched WV vs Okla last specifically to see their press.  WV has so much more speed & quickness.  On ball defense is much better. They help, recover and rotate much quicker & play with more intensity.  Barford is the only guy we have that is close to being as athletic as WV guards.

Rbill

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2017, 03:38:33 pm
In SEC games only:

Arkansas leads the league in 3-point shooting accuracy, at 39%. That is an outstanding number.

Problem is: Arkansas is 11th in the league in 3-point scoring. Why? Our offense forces the ball inside ALL THE darned time.

Honestly I'm not convinced we force the ball inside too much. In games where we look particularly inept, it seems like we are incapable of penetrating and getting off easy shots from the inside. We then throw the ball around the perimeter a lot including to Moses for some reason and end up settling for a 3 because we don't know what else to do. In these terrible games where we look really clueless I am not shouting at my screen to shoot more 3s.

sickboy

Quote from: Rbill on February 09, 2017, 06:42:06 pm
Honestly I'm not convinced we force the ball inside too much. In games where we look particularly inept, it seems like we are incapable of penetrating and getting off easy shots from the inside. We then throw the ball around the perimeter a lot including to Moses for some reason and end up settling for a 3 because we don't know what else to do. In these terrible games where we look really clueless I am not shouting at my screen to shoot more 3s.

We throw the ball to Moses on the perimeter because we're constantly using him to set screens at the top of the key and instead of playing the pick and roll with a guy like Barford, who's built for the pick and roll, Moses comes off the pick looking for the ball.

I don't get it. Because then you've got your big man at the top of the key and you've given the defense a decided advantage. This usually happens when there's about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. 30% of the time Moses ends up shooting the ball because his guards are all sitting covered at the top of the key and the only person he's got to pass to that's an offensive threat is whoever's playing the 4 spot, who's probably one on one with his back to the defender. When Moses doesn't shoot it, he usually dumps it to the PG, which then resets the motion in the offense and you're back to square one with with under 10 on the shot clock.

WilsonHog

Moses' rebounds are down, and his three-point attempts are up.

cypress rock

Our type of game depends tempo and flow. With all of the tv timeouts
And normal time outs we can't force the pace for extended times

Slater

I'll guarantee you, if we went to the bombs away approach, the same crew would be bitching about the unconventional approach to basketball.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

hogman99

Quote from: cypress rock on February 09, 2017, 07:16:13 pm
Our type of game depends tempo and flow. With all of the tv timeouts
And normal time outs we can't force the pace for extended times

The style does not work. The timeouts have nothing to do with the bad play. Coaching causes everything you see.

sickboy

Quote from: hogman99 on February 09, 2017, 07:32:29 pm
The style does not work. The timeouts have nothing to do with the bad play. Coaching causes everything you see.

Coaching doesn't have a direct cause on everything you see on the court. There's only so much a basketball coach can do. But if a coach's team isn't meeting expectations, it's ultimately him who's going to take the blame.

I think Coach Anderson is a better coach than some people realize. But, then again, I don't think most people really know the x's and o's of basketball. Nor does that really matter in the end. Arkansas has to do better.

HogBreath

Quote from: Slater on February 09, 2017, 07:29:01 pm
I'll guarantee you, if we went to the bombs away approach, the same crew would be bitching about the unconventional approach to basketball.
Winning games over some one other than the Austin Peays & North Dakota States of the world would damn sure be a good way to shut 'em up.

Oh wait I forget about the win over Ft. Wayne, who has also beat Indiana.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

phadedhawg

Our token press is all hat and no cattle...

The_Iceman

More facts against Mediocre Mike that the huggers can't defend.

FIRE MIKE ANDERSON!!!

hogman99

Quote from: sickboy on February 09, 2017, 07:41:46 pm
Coaching doesn't have a direct cause on everything you see on the court. There's only so much a basketball coach can do. But if a coach's team isn't meeting expectations, it's ultimately him who's going to take the blame.

I think Coach Anderson is a better coach than some people realize. But, then again, I don't think most people really know the x's and o's of basketball. Nor does that really matter in the end. Arkansas has to do better.

Yes it does, he picked the players to be on his team to play the style he coaches. He just can't admit his style doesn't work.

CMA is not a good coach because he makes no adjustments or has the respect of his players. I know quite a bit about X's and O's and what we see tells me they are not being taught and practiced. If you call in game communication to the players things like "pressure, tap it out, more energy" good coaching than he's your guy.

Hoggish1

In SEC games only:

Problem is: Arkansas is 11th in the league in 3-point scoring. Why? Our offense forces the ball inside ALL THE darned TIME.

* 14th in opponents' free throw attempts / field goal attempts (frequency of fouling).
* 9th in forced turnovers, despite being 3rd in steals = not playing disruptive defense.

But the offense is equally dumb, because we favor our weakness and ignore our strength. BECAUSE: damn motion offense.

Are you blaming Mike?

Hoggish1

In SEC games only:

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 09, 2017, 08:22:46 pm

Hoggish1

If Mike does not finish at least 22-9, he MUST be fired!

sickboy

Quote from: hogman99 on February 09, 2017, 07:58:45 pm
Yes it does, he picked the players to be on his team to play the style he coaches. He just can't admit his style doesn't work.

CMA is not a good coach because he makes no adjustments or has the respect of his players. I know quite a bit about X's and O's and what we see tells me they are not being taught and practiced. If you call in game communication to the players things like "pressure, tap it out, more energy" good coaching than he's your guy.

You can place blame upstream as far as the stream goes... at the end of the day, the players are the ones who have to execute on the court. It's a really rudimentary and myopic argument to point all the blame at the Head Coach. There's plenty of weight across the shoulders of many, many folks when it comes to a basketball program.

Either way, my ultimate point was that, at the end of the day, it's the coach who has to bear the brunt of that burden. And Mike will. One way or another.

And Mike Anderson does make adjustments. You're just regurgitating someone else's dissatisfaction, the floating sentiment, with our program. Which is fine, but should be given the proper context. If Mike didn't make adjustments then Arkansas would run a full court press/man to man with a hybrid dribble-drive offense. That's not the case.

I'm not saying he's the best coach on the planet, but he's not a bad coach. Honestly, I think he's a better X's and O's guy than he is a communicator and that's his biggest problem. He can get his guys to run and gun and win games in stints, but he can't seem to get any consistency and that, to me, says that he doesn't know how to reach a player beyond talking X's and O's and regurgitating "practice" lingo. Which is what you're getting at. But there are a lot of coaches like that out there. The types of guys who can master both are few and far between.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Tortfeasor on February 09, 2017, 05:34:16 pm

our press is awful; just plain terrible and ineffective. we shouldn't bother with it.

watching the vandy game was surreal. it was almost as though we were playing flag basketball, if there were such a thing.
The rest of the frog.

zuko

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 09, 2017, 03:45:35 pm
The most disappointing thing to me is that when Mike was hired I believed we would play great defense. That was supposedly his calling card, the impetus behind his own comment that we would "pick them up off the bus."

For 25 years, under first Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson, we were known for defense. Totally different styles, but still a point of emphasis.

Mike either can't coach it or the players he recruited cannot play it.
No question about it. When MIke started, all we heard about was the "40 minutes of Hell". I don't think MIke has the power or the players and his hands might be tied on what he can bring in. Maybe we are looking in the wrong place. The big basketball powers; Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, NC, etc all seem to have a steady flow of players who want to go to those schools to play, why? Got to find that out. I mean, are the all good students? or is there some help there the Jeff Long isn't willing to give. Like I said in another post, Jeff Long is an educator first and then an AD.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: sickboy on February 09, 2017, 09:47:14 pm
You can place blame upstream as far as the stream goes... at the end of the day, the players are the ones who have to execute on the court. It's a really rudimentary and myopic argument to point all the blame at the Head Coach. There's plenty of weight across the shoulders of many, many folks when it comes to a basketball program.

Either way, my ultimate point was that, at the end of the day, it's the coach who has to bear the brunt of that burden. And Mike will. One way or another.

And Mike Anderson does make adjustments. You're just regurgitating someone else's dissatisfaction, the floating sentiment, with our program. Which is fine, but should be given the proper context. If Mike didn't make adjustments then Arkansas would run a full court press/man to man with a hybrid dribble-drive offense. That's not the case.

I'm not saying he's the best coach on the planet, but he's not a bad coach. Honestly, I think he's a better X's and O's guy than he is a communicator and that's his biggest problem. He can get his guys to run and gun and win games in stints, but he can't seem to get any consistency and that, to me, says that he doesn't know how to reach a player beyond talking X's and O's and regurgitating "practice" lingo. Which is what you're getting at. But there are a lot of coaches like that out there. The types of guys who can master both are few and far between.

Mike Anderson doesn't do X's and O's fella, he does X and O.  If that doesn't work, well it is gonna be a long night for his basketball team.  15 years as a head coach, all the evidence you need is out there if you just go look for it.  Honestly, Missouri fans are the best source for what he can do at a P5 school.  We lived Mike as a head coach, but we don't have the sentimental ties to the guy you all do so it is easier for us to see and admit that there are some pretty big shortcomings he has as a head basketball coach.  I honestly get it for some folks because of the history, but how many years is enough?  You do know the definition of insanity right? 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: sickboy on February 09, 2017, 09:47:14 pm

i'm going to sound rude, but this is just nonsense. it is, however,  a great closing argument in defense of the guilty. at the end of the day, though, marginalizing the coaching aspect by deflecting elsewhere is transparent and confessional.

we all know that players can foul up a game. but what about when players are consistently fouling up games as opposed to A game? what about a 6 year pattern of such activity?

it's not just the vandy game or the missouri game. we have no swagger, no identity; no salt on the pretzel. none. hogville is down primarily on our defense right now; rightly so.

but how about what we do on our supposed offense? i GET the notion of opportunistic basketball as far as offense goes. but when faced with opposition that removes those opportunities, the consequences require planning and inventiveness. we have proven to have none of that.

The rest of the frog.

Cmheinley

Quote from: sickboy on February 09, 2017, 07:05:51 pm
We throw the ball to Moses on the perimeter because we're constantly using him to set screens at the top of the key and instead of playing the pick and roll with a guy like Barford, who's built for the pick and roll, Moses comes off the pick looking for the ball.

I don't get it. Because then you've got your big man at the top of the key and you've given the defense a decided advantage. This usually happens when there's about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. 30% of the time Moses ends up shooting the ball because his guards are all sitting covered at the top of the key and the only person he's got to pass to that's an offensive threat is whoever's playing the 4 spot, who's probably one on one with his back to the defender. When Moses doesn't shoot it, he usually dumps it to the PG, which then resets the motion in the offense and you're back to square one with with under 10 on the shot clock.

Absolutely yes. You verbalize my frustrations precisely. It is almost offensive how ridiculous it looks. Also appreciate the "Trainspotting" me reference

sickboy

Quote from: ballz2thewall on February 09, 2017, 10:45:07 pm
i'm going to sound rude, but this is just nonsense. it is, however,  a great closing argument in defense of the guilty. at the end of the day, though, marginalizing the coaching aspect by deflecting elsewhere is transparent and confessional.

we all know that players can foul up a game. but what about when players are consistently fouling up games as opposed to A game? what about a 6 year pattern of such activity?

it's not just the vandy game or the missouri game. we have no swagger, no identity; no salt on the pretzel. none. hogville is down primarily on our defense right now; rightly so.

but how about what we do on our supposed offense? i GET the notion of opportunistic basketball as far as offense goes. but when faced with opposition that removes those opportunities, the consequences require planning and inventiveness. we have proven to have none of that.

I didn't take this rudely. I hope you didn't take my comment rudely. It wasn't meant to be at all.

Look, I definitely agree that Mike Anderson's teams are what they are. And if he's not living up to expectations... we should make a change. I'm just saying that he's not as bad as everyone's anger right now would make it seem.

Biggus Piggus

Following up on this:

Arkansas shot a season-high 26 3-pointers against LSU, making 10 (39%).

For some reason, the 16 long bounces did not help our offensive rebounding at all. The Razorbacks had a season-low three offensive boards. Arkansas had come away with 10+ offensive rebounds in all but three games, before that. Had nine in two of the other three.

Also, playing mostly zone defense, the Hogs came away with 10 steals. That was only the sixth time all season that Arkansas had managed to reach double digits in steals.

Florida, Kentucky and Mississippi State exposed us. They shredded our presses and trapping man. Defensive adjustments should have been made then. The offense should have gone then to more of a perimeter emphasis, less pumping the ball inside.

Right after MSU, the Hogs had home games against Missouri and LSU, with a road game against guard-poor Texas A&M. Didn't force us to do anything.

We steamed into Stillwater, overconfident in our crappy defense and "lead with weakness" offense. Oklahoma State totally exposed us again.

Sure enough, right after that we got to play guard-poor Alabama, reinforcing the notion that all we had to do was practice what we had been doing.

Then we went to Columbia, Mo. If the Hogs had been doing anything right, this game would have been a gimme. Missouri had played an awful game at Florida two nights before. The height-challenged Tigers, in 21 games, had gotten more shots blocked than any other high-major basketball team. Missouri lacked shooting ability from any distance, at least against the slightest semblance of defense. And the Tigers had allowed high shooting percentages without compensating with any other aspect, including rebounding and forced turnovers.

Somehow, Arkansas allowed Mizzou to make 21 2-point shots, 66% shooting. Moreover, the Razorbacks inexplicably coughed up the basketball 17 times, offsetting their rebounding advantages. Jaylen Barford and Daryl Macon combined for nine turnovers. They still got a team-high 29 minutes in the game.

In the final 10 minutes, Arkansas only matched Missouri on the scoreboard, 17-17. Too many wasted possessions. In a game where the Hogs had a tremendous outside shooting skill advantage, they took only 16 3-point shots. Moreover, where Moses Kingsley and Trey Thompson had height advantages, they took only five inside shots in a combined 41 minutes. Kevin Puryear alone outscored them 15-6.

That was a complete botch. Horrendous preparation and game coaching. Malpractice.

Then Vanderbilt at BWA. The Commodores came in without leading scorer Matthew Fisher-Davis, their shooting guard and go-to on offense. Without him, Vandy's scoring efficiency and ballhandling should have been severely diminished. They already were relying on two point guards with awful turnover ratios.

Many strange things ensued.

* Vanderbilt spaced away Arkansas's ability to trap and got the chance to shoot many open shots. They made their first nine 3-pointers. Rest of game, 3-14, but that hot start was everything.

* The Commodores played amazingly effective halfcourt defense without fouling, relying heavily on five players. At Nashville, Arkansas's Daryl Macon and Dusty Hannahs had attacked and forced Vanderbilt to foul. The home team had 20 fouls in that game. At Fayetteville, the Porkers got few calls. Hannahs got to the line for two shots, Macon (in a lifeless effort off the bench) zero. Barford, who always plays around the basket, got zero free throws in 23 minutes. Anton Beard, a point guard who should have overmatched the Vandy defenders, shot 0-8 from the floor and got no free throw attempts in 28 minutes. The road team had eight fouls in the entire game.

* Arkansas's paltry rebounding (31% offensive, 56% defensive) offset a +10 turnover margin.

* The Hogs trailed the entire game but still took fewer 3-pt shots than the visitors did.

* Vanderbilt's five starters played 33-37 minutes. They visibly tired down the stretch, but with 10 minutes to go Arkansas trailed 58-39. The Hogs were only able to close that deficit by 6 points in the last quarter of the game.

With Razorback basketball on the deck, we go to Baton Rouge.

As always, with Arkansas, offense and defense go hand in hand. When the defense works, the offense is great. Everything begins with defense - which includes rebounding.

The Hogs' shotblocking confuses their defensive stats, because Arkansas rarely rebounds a blocked shot. Turns into an offensive rebound for the opponent. If we could strip out all that noise, we'd see a different picture.

In the first 16-17 minutes of Saturday's game:

* LSU ran out to a 33-19 lead.
* Arkansas scored 19 points in its first 30 possessions, 0.6 point per possession, which is HORRIFYING.
* LSU scored 33 points in its first 29 possessions, 1.14 points per possession, poor defense but not as bad as the scoring side for Arkansas.
* The Hogs had five turnovers and one offensive rebound in 15 chances. One.
* Arkansas shot 7-22 (32%) from the floor.
* LSU had four turnovers but offset missed shots with eight offensive rebounds in 15 chances.
* While the Tigers shot 12-27 (44%) from the floor, the offensive boards made their floor percentage 63%.
* LSU outscored Arkansas at the FT line 9-3.
* Arkansas tried a combination of trapping fullcourt and halfcourt man-to-man, pressure defenses.

In the latter part of the first half, Mike Anderson switched the Razorbacks into a matchup zone defense. The game magically changed:

* Arkansas scored 59 points in its last 45 possessions, 1.3 points per possession - outstanding.
* LSU scored 37 points in its last 46 possessions, 0.8 point per possession - terrific.
* Arkansas shot 17-31 (55%) while allowing LSU to make 14-40 (35%).
* The Hogs improved their defensive rebounding % to 67%, after doing 47% in the first 16 minutes of the game.
[CENSORED]!

BRHogfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 14, 2017, 10:45:11 am
Following up on this:

In the latter part of the first half, Mike Anderson switched the Razorbacks into a matchup zone defense. The game magically changed:

* Arkansas scored 59 points in its last 45 possessions, 1.3 points per possession - outstanding.
* LSU scored 37 points in its last 46 possessions, 0.8 point per possession - terrific.
* Arkansas shot 17-31 (55%) while allowing LSU to make 14-40 (35%).
* The Hogs improved their defensive rebounding % to 67%, after doing 47% in the first 16 minutes of the game.

So what defense do you expect Mike to put the Hogs in first on Wednesday night?

hogsanity

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 14, 2017, 12:42:15 pm

That is my question, how long will Mike's ego allow him to not play man, trap, press some etc?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Smokehouse

How hard is it in the modern state of basketball to get a team to not shoot enough 3-pointers? Problem is almost always the opposite.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

TomasPistola

He tried to tell the bear to go away, but it wouldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Biggus Piggus

I expect MA to be more concerned about Thornwell and Dozier than the big men. Both are matchup problems for Arkansas. Should tempt him to open with the switching man. Right?
[CENSORED]!

niels_boar

Criticizing our D is low-hanging fruit.  I think it's harsh to say that our O is dumb considering that we are top-35 in the nation in offensive efficiency and arguably the second best offense in the SEC in conference play, no worse than third.  Even though I too would like to see more trey attempts in the halfcourt, improvements are most likely on the margin.  I don't see the requisite talent on the floor to believe that we should be much better than any other team in the SEC on offense, which would be the result of any significant improvement from our current standing. It's worth considering that the staff has done a good job at that end in terms of strategy with some significant handicaps like no true point guard, light scoring at the four, O/D tradeoffs, etc.  Are there really a lot of teams in the nation ahead of us in offense that have significantly less talent than we do?  We've got some quality scorers, but it's not like we have a lottery pick (or two) to anchor the O.

The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: niels_boar on February 14, 2017, 03:58:07 pm
Criticizing our D is low-hanging fruit.  I think it's harsh to say that our O is dumb considering that we are top-35 in the nation in offensive efficiency and arguably the second best offense in the SEC in conference play, no worse than third.  Even though I too would like to see more trey attempts in the halfcourt, improvements are most likely on the margin.  I don't see the requisite talent on the floor to believe that we should be much better than any other team in the SEC on offense, which would be the result of any significant improvement from our current standing. It's worth considering that the staff has done a good job at that end in terms of strategy with some significant handicaps like no true point guard, light scoring at the four, O/D tradeoffs, etc.  Are there really a lot of teams in the nation ahead of us in offense that have significantly less talent than we do?  We've got some quality scorers, but it's not like we have a lottery pick (or two) to anchor the O.

From a linear-math perspective, averages out well. In most games, the Hogs have focused on working the ball inside + neglected perimeter shooting, where Arkansas continues to lead the league in 3-pt % but lags in 3-pt attempts as a % of total shots.

Low average turnover frequency (which has been bad in some losses) and high free throw scoring (also volatile game to game) help salvage the offensive efficiency statistics. That's a separate question from actually watching what happens in games + being rightly critical of the approach in many games.
[CENSORED]!

NotSoFastMyFriend

It's hard to watch Hannahs and Macon not shoot the ball.

lutherheggs

I was at the announcement when Mike was hired. It was at BWA and was a big show. JFB was there. Mike specifically said, "we will pick them up when they get off the bus." Yet the defense has been horrific since he has been coach. He was Nolan's assistant for 17 years. He knows what Nolan did. Why cannot he reproduce it? Too stupid?

ChicoHog

What I notice is we have trouble getting open 3 looks against man defense, especially Hannahs, in the half court offense.  Our opponent get open looks all the time thanks to our poor switching and stupid trapping defense.  When Dusty gets open looks it's usually in transition, against a zone or the opponent makes a mistake in man defense which doesn't happen often.  That's why opponents try more 3's and we attempt less 3's.  We hope they miss and good teams or even mediocre teams like Vandy take advantage of that. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 15, 2017, 12:18:11 am
What I notice is we have trouble getting open 3 looks against man defense, especially Hannahs, in the half court offense.  Our opponent get open looks all the time thanks to our poor switching and stupid trapping defense.  When Dusty gets open looks it's usually in transition, against a zone or the opponent makes a mistake in man defense which doesn't happen often.  That's why opponents try more 3's and we attempt less 3's.  We hope they miss and good teams or even mediocre teams like Vandy take advantage of that. 

Ever notice when Hannahs is in the game his defender hardly ever leaves him to go help? Lsu left him, and he killed them. Most of the time though his man stays with him regardless.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 08:32:22 am
Ever notice when Hannahs is in the game his defender hardly ever leaves him to go help? Lsu left him, and he killed them. Most of the time though his man stays with him regardless.
Exactly what they should do.  That is smart defense. 

hobhog

Have to admit this is true.....

The full court press is more mystifying to me than shot selection.

BRHogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2017, 08:32:22 am

Well, usually another defender comes over to help, because if they don't he's shooting or driving.  Hannahs hasn't had a lot of success at getting a quick pass or lob to a big man when the big man stays in on the pick and roll.

HF#1

If you watched the SEC Network special, Inside Arkansas Basketball, you got a first hand glimpse why we do what we do. Practice is a pick up game and 3 man weave drills.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Biggus Piggus

What is unconventional about optimizing 3-point shooting? Warriors.
[CENSORED]!

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hawganatic

Right, because we all know it's either bombs away or nothing.  Let's forget about running a sensible offense and take the shots that the defense gives us.  It has to be one extreme or another.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawganatic on February 15, 2017, 10:57:54 am
Right, because we all know it's either bombs away or nothing.  Let's forget about running a sensible offense and take the shots that the defense gives us.  It has to be one extreme or another.

They took 26 3's against LSU, and I saw no one complaining about that.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.