Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is a realistic possibility to want to come here and coach?

Started by Ham Sandwich, February 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maxhog5

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 08, 2017, 12:06:52 am
Interesting he's 34 the same age as me. He has got a baby face on his photos but he wins.... What's his style HogRed?

He is a Shaka Smart assisstant so I assume it similiar to Smart.  Lot of full court pressure looking for steals and turnovers.  Push the ball on offense.  Weave heavy motion offense.  Longest tenure at a school has been 2 years.  First class at Chattanooga is having a good year as seniors.  There are no juniors except for a juco transfer on this years team so his ability to build a program and maintain success is suspect.

ChicoHog

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 08, 2017, 12:45:44 am
He is a Shaka Smart assisstant so I assume it similiar to Smart.  Lot of full court pressure looking for steals and turnovers.  Push the ball on offense.  Weave heavy motion offense.  Longest tenure at a school has been 2 years.  First class at Chattanooga is having a good year as seniors.  There are no juniors except for a juco transfer on this years team so his ability to build a program and maintain success is suspect.

Please no.  I don't want anymore full court presses that lead to opposition 3 pointers and easy dunks.  Just solid half court man or zone with good rebounding and fast breaks.  Like UCLA plays.  And most importantly good shooters at all positions.  Heck even like Vandy plays.  I like their style. 

fineswine

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 07, 2017, 10:13:09 pm
He wants nada to do with the SEC's/Arkansas' academic requirements. We can offer him nothing that he doesn't already have. Sharing revenue/clout with a football program isn't even a blip on his radar.

IMO.

Agreed. Marshall (who I still think is a top 5 guy) has no reason to leave. He's the only show in town. Plus, I remember reading about some of the perks of his job a couple of years ago (free private plane provided for the family, etc.). We can't compete with it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2017, 12:08:58 am
As I said in the other coach thread, the only thing I could see pushing Marshall to leave is the MVC now that Creighton left.  It isn't what it once was.  They will struggle to get an at large bid this year.

Buzz would be interesting.  Would he bail on his building effort at VT to get out of that bloodbath in the ACC? 

Would a Chris Holtmann want to take a very different job than the one he is at now?  Great conference, great basketball culture.

We missed an opportunity with Underwood.

Lot of good coaches out there.

Underwood is only making a little over $1 million at OSU. A $3 Million offer could get him here. That would be a home run hire.

Youngsta71701

Who is a realistic possibility to want to come here and coach? I vote for Iceman... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

onebadrubi

Quote from: hobhog on February 07, 2017, 09:36:00 pm
Broyles was great at researching and going behind the scenes. This loss will at least get Long on his toes, won't it?

Not always, no. He had the chance to get bill self, albeit John DA white pad a part in that too

The_Iceman

I believe we can offer between 3 and 4 million a year for the next head coach. I do not believe Gregg Marshall or Archie Miller are realistic. These are the calls I would make:

Greg McDermott, Creighton

Fred Hoiberg, if Chicago lets him go

Chris Holtmann, Butler

Chris Mack, Xavier

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati

Brad Underwood, Oklahoma State

Kevin Keatts, UNC-Wilmington

If we don't get one of those choices, here is a list of the top up-and-comers right now:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2667494-up-and-coming-college-basketball-coaches-to-watch-in-2016-17

RacinRazorback

The_Iceman

Quote from: RacinRazorback on February 08, 2017, 06:58:44 am
Buzz should have been the choice all along!

Not sure he is realistic:

"Heading into his third year at Virginia Tech, Williams agreed to an amended contract that runs through the 2022-23 season, at which point Williams's guaranteed salary tops out at $3.3 million. The new deal increases his 2016 salary to $2.6 million thanks to a newly incorporated retention bonus of $100,000 on Aug. 1."

RacinRazorback

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2017, 06:59:59 am
Not sure he is realistic:

"Heading into his third year at Virginia Tech, Williams agreed to an amended contract that runs through the 2022-23 season, at which point Williams's guaranteed salary tops out at $3.3 million. The new deal increases his 2016 salary to $2.6 million thanks to a newly incorporated retention bonus of $100,000 on Aug. 1."

I will rephrase that......Buzz should have been hired when Anderson was!

SRV

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 07, 2017, 09:52:07 pm
I'm not a fan of long, but he hasn't done a bad job of hiring coaches.  The ones he hired haven't panned out, but they had a pretty good resume when getting hired on.

Logic is not usually well received here.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

maxhog5

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2017, 06:10:23 am
Underwood is only making a little over $1 million at OSU. A $3 Million offer could get him here. That would be a home run hire.

Not a big Underwood guy.  We are talking Bob Huggins, Frank Martin basketball which is ugly basketball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 08, 2017, 07:09:57 am
Not a big Underwood guy.  We are talking Bob Huggins, Frank Martin basketball which is ugly basketball.

West Virginia - #13
South Carolina - #16

Two top 20 teams. Doesn't look like ugly basketball to me. This sure wasn't ugly basketball:

2013–14   Stephen F. Austin   32–3   18–0   1st   NCAA Round of 32
2014–15   Stephen F. Austin   29–5   17–1   1st   NCAA Round of 64
2015–16   Stephen F. Austin   28–6   18–0   1st   NCAA Round of 32

maxhog5

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2017, 07:17:31 am
West Virginia - #13
South Carolina - #16

Two top 20 teams. Doesn't look like ugly basketball to me. This sure wasn't ugly basketball:

Don't tell Huggins and Martin that.  They will tell you flat out, they want an ugly game which they will win.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2017, 07:17:31 am
West Virginia - #13
South Carolina - #16

What conference does Stephen F. Austin they play in again?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 07:45:08 am
What conference does Stephen F. Austin they play in again?

Does it matter? In 3 seasons, he only lost one conference game. There were no "well, they just wanted it more than us" or "they shot lights out and we fought hard" or insert whatever is the latest Mike Anderson excuse. He won the conference, one the tournament, and won in ncaa tournament with inferior talent.

He is a good coach. He coached Mike Anderson right off the floor. Embarrassed him and our entire program. He would be a massive improvement over our incompetent coach.

Hawg Red

Mick Cronin is interesting name because I'm not sure what happened up there at Cincinnati after last season, but it seemed like he was half gone to UNLV for a minute.

I also found this on his Wiki page:

QuoteCronin is pushing for either a new arena or a renovation of U.S. Bank Arena in downtown Cincinnati in order for the Bearcats to remain competitive on a national scale.

But then I googled to find out that they have an $87 million renovation scheduled for the Fifth Third Arena, so maybe he got what he wanted.

Atlhogfan1

Huggins' team is the closest thing you will see to how we are supposed to play defense.  The unexpected traps from anywhere.  Picking teams up full court.  The gambling on the defensive end in the halfcourt.  Huggins just builds teams of more physical players.  Huggins and Martin most importantly get players to play hard for them.  We have got to get out of this "style" mindset. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 08, 2017, 08:48:56 am
Mick Cronin is interesting name because I'm not sure what happened up there at Cincinnati after last season, but it seemed like he was half gone to UNLV for a minute.

I also found this on his Wiki page:

But then I googled to find out that they have an $87 million renovation scheduled for the Fifth Third Arena, so maybe he got what he wanted.

Cronin makes $2.2 million. It would probably take close to $4 million to get him.

010HogFan

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2017, 09:01:31 am
Cronin makes $2.2 million. It would probably take close to $4 million to get him.

I think that would probably be $4 million well spent.

coach, my back hurts

If we're reaching for the stars, why not Tony Bennett at Virginia?  Signed an extension in 14-15 through 2024 that pays him 2.1mill.  I think he gets a 100k increase each season or so.  200k buyout.

No one can debate the guys record and his personal achievements as player and coach.

Competes in the ridiculousness that is the ACC and with less talent.  (Does have 1 mcd all american.)

Seems to have it rolling though at UV and is in close proximity to some of the best basketball talent in the country.

UV built a new 14k seat arena in 2006. 

Would be tough to get him away from a school that seems committed to basketball.  Although his salary doesn't really match it.

This guy would be my pick.  I think him and Gregg Marshall are top 10 coaches that don't coach at a top tier schools.  Though both schools are probably held in higher regard than Ark right now.

Throw 2.8-3.0mill at the guy and show him the players we have in state the next few yrs and the ones that are committed.  I think any good to great coach could come in here and have us competing for the Sweet 16 in a year or 2.

The_Iceman

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on February 08, 2017, 09:27:40 am
If we're reaching for the stars, why not Tony Bennett at Virginia?  Signed an extension in 14-15 through 2024 that pays him 2.1mill.  I think he gets a 100k increase each season or so.  200k buyout.

No one can debate the guys record and his personal achievements as player and coach.

Competes in the ridiculousness that is the ACC and with less talent.  (Does have 1 mcd all american.)

Seems to have it rolling though at UV and is in close proximity to some of the best basketball talent in the country.

Would be tough to get him away from a school that seems committed to basketball.  Although his salary doesn't really match it.

This guy would be my pick.  I think him and Gregg Marshall are top 10 coaches that don't coach at a top tier schools.  Though both schools are probably held in higher regard than Ark right now.

Throw 2.8-3.0mill at the guy and show him the players we have in state the next few yrs and the ones that are committed.  I think any good to great coach could come in here and have us competing for the Sweet 16 in a year or 2.

Virginia is in the ACC. He isn't leaving there to come to Arkansas. Stick to realistic options. Virginia is arguably in a better spot long term than Arkansas with his recruiting base and conference.

Hawg Red

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on February 08, 2017, 09:27:40 am

Virginia isn't a blue-blood program but he's established there and it's in the best conference in the country and provides a very fertile recruiting ground. That's a much, much better job than Arkansas is right now. If money is an issue for him, they'll give him more.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Knot2brite on February 07, 2017, 09:46:12 pm
The problem is that this job has lost some of its luster...facilities ...yeah ok....conference...not so much the draw...tradition...very good. The problem is that there are better jobs about to come open. Maybe even easier jobs. We would have to find a young guy that has a good reputation and a great work ethic to make it work...

The job has lost a little luster for sure... but just a little.  Actually, the basketball job here is MUCH better than the football job.  Facilities are good, tradition is good, and most importantly: there are enough quality in-state kids that you should be able recruit to keep you competitive almost every year and when the special group comes along make a lot of noise.  Add to that a weak (although I believe improving) conference (opposite of football) and you have a very good college basketball job.  I mean, Coach K isn't walking through that door but outside of the very top tier of coaches who are already in very good situations almost anyone is possible. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 07, 2017, 09:05:46 pm
I'll take anybody from the Big East, Archie Miller, Gregg Marshall, or Fred Hoiberg after he's canned from Chicago.

I bet Archie is waiting on the NCS job to open up and it might unless Gottfried can turn things around.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

February 08, 2017, 10:02:59 am #76 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:18:42 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 07, 2017, 10:13:09 pm
He wants nada to do with the SEC's/Arkansas' academic requirements. We can offer him nothing that he doesn't already have. Sharing revenue/clout with a football program isn't even a blip on his radar.

IMO.

Dang I hate to agree with you but I do. Some people don't understand that WSU is a really good basketball job.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

At one time, Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson, Bill Self, Billy Donovan, Calipari, Izzo, Coach K, Bobby Knight, and countless others were all " up and comers" " A guy no one has heard of " yet someone had the foresight to give them a program to run. If programs only hired "name" guys, very few programs would have coaches.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 08, 2017, 09:49:59 am
Virginia isn't a blue-blood program but he's established there and it's in the best conference in the country and provides a very fertile recruiting ground. That's a much, much better job than Arkansas is right now. If money is an issue for him, they'll give him more.

I wouldn't say "much, much better" but I've been to games there when I lived there. Remember seeing the hogs play against Ralph Sampson there. It is a really good job and they have a loyal following. Probably moreso in basketball than football. They also have a nice almost new facility. It is not quite up to other ACC schools standards but it is a good job in a good conference in a good recruiting area. It would be difficult to hire someone away from there though. The thing to consider is pay. UVA can pay if they want to but they don't like to.

Inhogswetrust

Aw yes the proverbial "I don't care about winning I only want a certain style to watch". Funny since ugly wins a lot of games.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 07, 2017, 09:53:30 pm
Many will consider him unrealistic, but I'm not convinced Gregg Marshall is out of the question. He will move on from Wichita State at some point. Maybe he's ready now and he wasn't before.

Just go after the big names that might be ready for a bigger conference or might be coming in from the pro game and then check down to the young-and-comers.

Why would Marshall move anywhere? Easy path to the tournament where he is.

Our job has potential with in state crop that's currently committed. Other than that we are UNLV. A has been with pretenders as fans and a mediocre commitment to the program minus the last two years and our pay grade is middle of the pack for a p5 conference.

We can hire a name that is currently out of work or on downward trajectory that will return us to the Heath/Pel level when they can't bring in big time out of staters either.

Not fun to be a hog FAN  for sure.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2017, 10:18:19 am
Aw yes the proverbial "I don't care about winning I only want a certain style to watch". Funny since ugly wins a lot of games.

YEp, and I have said this for a long time, they would rather lose games 95-90 than win 62-57.

Have you watched Huggins WVU teams the last few years? They press, they run, they shoot 3's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 08, 2017, 10:33:26 am

Our job has potential with in state crop that's currently committed. Other than that we are UNLV. A has been with pretenders as fans and a mediocre commitment to the program minus the last two years and our pay grade is middle of the pack for a p5 conference.

We can hire a name that is currently out of work or on downward trajectory that will return us to the Heath/Pel level when they can't bring in big time out of staters either.

Not that easy given the decline of the MVC.  Unless he wins the conference tournament. 

"Wichita State [21-4 (11-1), RPI: 57, SOS: 226] The Shockers are, much like last season, far better than their resume implies, but if they do end up with a bubble-adjacent seed in March, the committee will at least have better reasons this time around. Wichita State has just one top-100 RPI win, a home blowout of Illinois State, against whom it lost by 14 on Jan. 14; it has played just three top-100, non-Redbirds opponents all season. The Missouri Valley is partly to blame, but a bad nonconference schedule also plays a role. Either way, if the Shockers do get in, they'll be scary -- just maybe not Fred VanVleet-and-Ron Baker-scary."

I don't think he would leave for Arkansas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2017, 10:36:10 am

I don't think he would leave for Arkansas. 

Outside of about 5 guys, any coach is likely to leave anywhere for anywhere. Coaches, by nature, are nomads.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 10:38:29 am
Outside of about 5 guys, any coach is likely to leave anywhere for anywhere. Coaches, by nature, are nomads.

I view Marshall kind of like Petersen was at Boise.  He has options and can wait.  Again, the only reason I could see him leaving for a job like ours is with the thinking of getting into a multi bid major conference for a little while waiting on one of the real jobs he wants to open.

Recruiting to Arkansas is very different in terms of standards than WSU. 

Hawg Red

Is an easy path to the tournament all a coach needs to never move jobs? I refuse to believe that Wichita State is Marshall's destination job. I'll continue to consider him an option. How viable of an option, that remains to be seen.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2017, 10:41:00 am
I view Marshall kind of like Petersen was at Boise.  He has options and can wait.  Again, the only reason I could see him leaving for a job like ours is with the thinking of getting into a multi bid major conference for a little while waiting on one of the real jobs he wants to open.

Recruiting to Arkansas is very different in terms of standards than WSU.

Would you have thought Washington would be the school Petersen finally left for? I didn't.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 08, 2017, 10:44:04 am
Would you have thought Washington would be the school Petersen finally left for? I didn't.

NW US location.  He is from northern California.

Seattle  - huge city with medical facilities for his son

He is a Scientologist.  Not going to offend anyone by going off on Scientology.  But a liberal West Coast major city makes sense for him. 

HawgAdvocate

Only those who knew Peterson's family situation would have truly considered it. He has a son who has battled a brain tumor, and the team of doctors are in Portland. You don't change the team of doctors once they get treatment underway. It's a primary reason why he never left the area, but why Washington made sense. When Arkansas was after him, all we could offer was a private jet from Tyson that could be used by the Peterson family for any medical needs. It wasn't enough, citing distance.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

S.A.D.C

I agree that Marshall might be a long shot but...

This is such bull crap.  Why does everyone here think Arkansas football/basketball jobs are either just as good as Alabama/Kansas and every coach would kill for a chance here OR just as bad as Rutgers/UNLV which no one would ever want.  That's crap.  This is a very good basketball job. The state produces a steady flow of very good talent.  It isn't just about one class- it is pretty consistent.  The facilities are solid, they can and will pay top dollar for coaches, the fans WANT to will and will support a winner, and (right or wrong from a fan's perspective) JL has proven to be patient with his coaches.  There are more jobs worse than Arkansas than there are better.   

Inhogswetrust

Actually I did. I thought it would be somewhere only on the left coast.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 07, 2017, 10:13:39 pm

We'll end up with the next up and comer.. and start over again.. and if and when it comes to that, I'll support and hope for the best..

If we can't get a big name proven coach at 3-4 million a year, then toss 1 million a year at one of Coack K's assistances and give it a shot. At least save a little money while hoping to strike gold on gamble. Dont pay 2-3 million for another unproven guy.

Kevin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2017, 09:55:24 am
I bet Archie is waiting on the NCS job to open up and it might unless Gottfried can turn things around.

he and Debbie yow the ad are not on good terms
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 08, 2017, 01:37:14 pm
If we can't get a big name proven coach at 3-4 million a year, then toss 1 million a year at one of Coack K's assistances and give it a shot. At least save a little money while hoping to strike gold on gamble. Dont pay 2-3 million for another unproven guy.

You won't have to drop that low in a search. You can get a quality coach for $3 million. It won't be Gregg Marshall, but it will be someone with a record.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: S.A.D.C on February 08, 2017, 11:05:06 am
This is a very good basketball job. The state produces a steady flow of very good talent.  It isn't just about one class- it is pretty consistent.
I honestly didn't know Payton Willis was as high rated as he was. I missed that one.
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AR

ifghog

I don't care at this point. MA has proven he can't get it done...6 yrs is plenty.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 10:04:58 am
At one time, Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson, Bill Self, Billy Donovan, Calipari, Izzo, Coach K, Bobby Knight, and countless others were all " up and comers" " A guy no one has heard of " yet someone had the foresight to give them a program to run. If programs only hired "name" guys, very few programs would have coaches.

Heath and Pel were also "up and comers". We can't afford to reach like that on this one. It doesn't have to be a name like Bill Self, but it has to be someone with a better track record than Heath or Pel.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

ChicoHog

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Didn't Richardson say a long time ago he liked the game to get ugly?  I never liked it but it worked for him most of the time.  I much prefer a game without many turnovers on either side, good shooting, good rebounding, not many fouls and ok defense. 

I am definitely not a Huggins fan.  have not watched enough OK st this year to form an opinion on Underwood. 

HawgAdvocate

If Arkansas high schools are perceived to be ripe with talent for two to three years, which is rare, our job will be attractive.

But we're still going to need a coach who can go into Texas, Missouri, and/or Louisiana and efficiently pull out some good players to compliment what we have at home. We haven't had a coach like that since Nolan.