Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How was Anderson so good at UAB/Missouri, but bad here?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 07, 2017, 08:53:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: colbs on February 08, 2017, 12:52:36 pm
I think the big difference is the way the officials call the game now and CMA hasn't adapted.  You can still run his style but you have to be able to play in the half court as well.  He should have hired an X & O guy and added some set plays for the half court offense.  The half court defense has been even worse.  I think in the past when there wasn't a whistle every other possession his teams where able to capitalize off turnovers and limit other teams possessions.  Also, when there were less whistles the other team didn't shoot a ton more free throws than Arkansas.
He has to teach the kids that they can still play the same type of pressure ball without putting their hands on the ball handler. If they could learn how to do that they would be fine. And by golly teach them how to not switch every 1/5 or 2/5 ball screen. It's gonna make me pull my freakin hair out! What little I do have.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pork Twain

He has never been great anywhere for the long haul.  Not sure why anyone thinks that will happen here.  There are a lot more <20 win seasons there than >25 win seasons

Not sure how this chart will look posted from my phone.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Sivad

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2017, 01:13:41 pm
He has never been great anywhere for the long haul.  Not sure why anyone thinks that will happen here.
Because he sat on the bench with Nolan.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sivad on February 08, 2017, 01:14:30 pm
Not sure what this means but from the sound it, it is highly questionable. Are you saying Nolan wasn't a good coach?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 01:41:47 pm
Not sure what this means but from the sound it, it is highly questionable. Are you saying Nolan wasn't a good coach?
If you would pull your head out of your butt and stop trying to create something that is not there, it is pretty obvious what he is saying.  MA is here because we loved Nolan and his teams and thought that his understudy could return us to glory.  He cannot...  If MA did not have that bench connection to Nolan, he would not still be here, see Heath and Pel for evidence.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2017, 02:06:24 pm
If you would pull your head out of your butt and stop trying to create something that is not there, it is pretty obvious what he is saying.  MA is here because we loved Nolan and his teams and thought that his understudy could return us to glory.  He cannot...  If MA did not have that bench connection to Nolan, he would not still be here, see Heath and Pel for evidence.
Pork Twain, I like you but how about we cut out the "I'm not a grown man" type comments. Thank you sir. We can talk and debate like men all day but that's not necessary.

BTW I agree that his connection helped him get his job. My connections helped me get my current job. So what. I think that's the case for most of us. Sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 02:11:17 pm
Pork Twain, I like you but how about we cut out the insulting comments. Thank you sir. We can talk and debate like men all day but that's not necessary.

it is hard to have a conversation with some of you because you are constantly manufacturing stuff out of what people say instead of just commenting on what is actually posted. IT is very clear, had Mike Anderson not been Nolan's protege, he would not have been hired to start with, and, even if he were, he would not have survived 16-16 last season.

You remind me of some of the people that used to haunt the politics forum, always trying to read between the lines in stead of reading the lines themselves.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 02:13:36 pm
it is hard to have a conversation with some of you because you are constantly manufacturing stuff out of what people say instead of just commenting on what is actually posted. IT is very clear, had Mike Anderson not been Nolan's protege, he would not have been hired to start with, and, even if he were, he would not have survived 16-16 last season.

You remind me of some of the people that used to haunt the politics forum, always trying to read between the lines in stead of reading the lines themselves.
That's why I asked him the question so he could verify what he meant. Not Pork Twain. Did I not? I'm not a mind reader or an interpreter. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 02:11:17 pm
Pork Twain, I like you but how about we cut out the "I'm not a grown man" type comments. Thank you sir. We can talk and debate like men all day but that's not necessary.

BTW I agree that his connection helped him get his job. My connections helped me get my current job. So what. I think that's the case for most of us. Sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know.

Having to explain everything to someone can be frustrating.  I know lots of grown me that have their heads up their butts, I usually call them jr enlisted or officers.

If that were the case with you getting your current job, I should not need to explain the comments about MA, yet I did because you were just trying to stir the pot.  Not really a very adult choice.  I am still not sure how that connection was not clear to you from the beginning.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2017, 02:58:34 pm
Having to explain everything to someone can be frustrating.  I know lots of grown me that have their heads up their butts, I usually call them jr enlisted or officers.

If that were the case with you getting your current job, I should not need to explain the comments about MA, yet I did because you were just trying to stir the pot.  Not really a very adult choice.  I am still not sure how that connection was not clear to you from the beginning.
I've heard this Mike connection with Nolan before and I believe it to be true. I just wanted him to explain exactly what he was referring to before I started "stirring the pot". ;D

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 03:05:38 pm
I've heard this Mike connection with Nolan before and I believe it to be true. I just wanted him to explain exactly what he was referring to before I started "stirring the pot". ;D
By even asking, you are insinuating that it is something other than the obvious answer.  I believe I am more than justified in saying you had your head up your butt, with those passive-aggressive tactics.  I have been a poster here from the beginning and I have yet to see people go after a coach over race, but people sure like to use that as a distractor.

revolution

February 08, 2017, 05:01:36 pm #61 Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:21:17 pm by revolution
Anderson is a medicre coach.  Once he got to Power 5 Conferences (Big 12 and SEC) he is 97-82 in 10+ seasons of conference play (.541).  That's an average yearly record of 9.2-7.8 in conference play, so 9-8 or so.  MEDIOCRE!  NOT UP TO ARKANSAS EXPECTATIONS OR STANDARDS!

The party line is that he's never had a losing season, but that's because his teams' out of conference schedules have generally been weak.  When he was at UAB, the conference schedule was also atrocious, so he could rack up lots of wins.

Unfortunately, in the Power 5 Conferences, Mike Anderson is out of his league when compared with the top quarter of coaches / programs.

It's time for a change!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2017, 04:48:13 pm
By even asking, you are insinuating that it is something other than the obvious answer.  I believe I am more than justified in saying you had your head up your butt, with those passive-aggressive tactics.  I have been a poster here from the beginning and I have yet to see people go after a coach over race, but people sure like to use that as a distractor.
I wasn't talking about race. I was wondering was he saying Mike was a bad coach because he coached under Nolan. A little paranoia going on Twain?

ballz2thewall

there's a few items that i've never bought:

1. how good MA supposedly was at UAB and Missouri, and
2. how great the incoming class is supposed to be.
The rest of the frog.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 08:43:49 pm
I wasn't talking about race. I was wondering was he saying Mike was a bad coach because he coached under Nolan. A little paranoia going on Twain?
Well, that is not what he said at all...

I posted
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 08, 2017, 01:13:41 pm
He has never been great anywhere for the long haul.  Not sure why anyone thinks that will happen here. 
He responded
Quote from: Sivad on February 08, 2017, 01:14:30 pm

Pretty clear to me that he was saying that the only reason people thought he could do something here that he had never done before was for no other reason than he sat on the bench next to Nolan.  Surely not based off of his own accomplishments.  I am not sure what about that is so hard to understand.  Your tactics are still highly questionable.

Youngsta71701

February 09, 2017, 08:04:17 am #65 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:47:50 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2017, 05:31:39 am
Well, that is not what he said at all...
I know exactly what he said. He said this and I quote "Because he sat on the bench with Nolan..." while responding to this and I quote "He has never been great anywhere for the long haul.

So he really didn't specify anything that's why I asked the question so he could specify. Then after you specified for him I responded. I guess everybody's not as smart as you or catches on as fast as you do Twain. We're not all genius's... ;)

Sivad

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 01:41:47 pm
Not sure what this means but from the sound it, it is highly questionable.
Why don't you knock off with the racial inferences. My statement was clear. He was hired because because of his past coaching association with Nolan. Period.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 08:04:17 am
I know exactly what he said. He said this and I quote "Because he sat on the bench with Nolan..." while responding to this and I quote "He has never been great anywhere for the long haul.

So he really didn't specify anything that's why I asked the question so he could specify. Then after you specified for him I responded. I guess verybody's not as smart as you or catches on as fast as you do Twain. We're not all genius's... ;)
Just slow down when you are reading lil feller and maybe read it aloud and then it might makes sense.  ;)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2017, 12:34:48 pm
Just slow down when you are reading lil feller and maybe read it aloud and then it might makes sense.  ;)
Gotcha... ;D...That's why I like you so much because you give such great advice.

zuko

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 07, 2017, 08:53:54 pm
I'm curious to know what has happened to Anderson since he got here? he dominated at UAB and Mizzou, but can't seem to get anything going here
Look higher than Mike and you'll get your answer