Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How was Anderson so good at UAB/Missouri, but bad here?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 07, 2017, 08:53:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

I'm curious to know what has happened to Anderson since he got here? he dominated at UAB and Mizzou, but can't seem to get anything going here

HawgAdvocate

February 07, 2017, 08:57:23 pm #1 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:32:43 pm by HawgAdvocate
He got a top 10 contract (at that time), he & his staff got comfortable, and they assumed/figured it would all take care of itself.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

MikePiazza

Well, for starters, he wasn't dominant at UAB and Mizzou.

He certainly had more success at making the NCAA Tournament, but he also had better players at both stops.

He's been unable to have the recruiting success here that he had there. Other than Bobby Portis, he hasn't landed a program-changing player.

Nolan had the success he had from '89-96 because he had players. People always say that he beat Duke with the 40 Minutes of Hell. No, he just had better players than Duke. Grant Hill and Antonio Lang were the only players on that team who would've sniffed serious PT on the '94 Hog unit.

Mike hasn't had the players he needs to succeed at what he wants to do, and he's shown that he won't change his style to fit his personnel. So that's why you're seeing the results be more lackluster here than at his two previous stops.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HogBreath

He won a little over half (53%)of his conference games at Mizzou.

That's certainly not...so good.

He's never won a conference title, shared one at UAB.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

maxhog5

UAB was a mid-major.  He didn't dominate at Missouri.  Other than one 3rd place finish in the conference, all his other teams finished 5th place or lower.

shown006

He and his staff worked harder at those places.  He got the big bucks and knew he had a 5-6 year pass from Long at $2-3M per year to set himself up for retirement.
WPS!

hogginbama

At the time of UAB and Missouri, better players hadn't learned he couldn't coach worth a crap. Over time, word has spread and the secret is out so they stay away.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Nosboar Accubond

His claim to fame was a few tourney runs. No major sustained success. Barely over .500 when we took him from Mizzou.

Poker_hog

Bert's the same way. 

I'd rather see Long fired than MA.  Need an AD that values winning.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

rzrbk4life

I think that the UofA was his long term goal all along and he knew that if he busted his tail and was successful then he might have a shot to coach here one day. When lo and behold the job came available and he had done just enough at mizzou and uab to earn a serious look.

Certain people wanted mike and thought he would be nolans second coming and the rest is history. Easy hire for Jeff long to make the fan base happy and create excitement for the program. And here we are 6 years later
Let's call those hogs!!!!

hobhog

He wasn't SO GOOD.

Just a nice guy with a good bloodline.

Move on Long. Do your JOB.

hog47

This team will probably lose most if not all of their remaining games. They look lost, no will to win in yhem

Danimal

Quote from: hobhog on February 07, 2017, 09:06:29 pm
He wasn't SO GOOD.

Just a nice guy with a good bloodline.

Move on Long. Do your JOB.
I'm convinced that "nice guy" coaches will not succeed in Fayetteville.

rljjr

rude1

Has never been a good recruiter, finally landed his dream job, instead of ratcheting up the work on the recruiting trail, seemed more to just take what he could get and hope for the best. Trying to build and sustain a program by bringing in low level transfers and jucos leaves  you in the position he is in today.

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 07, 2017, 08:57:23 pm
He got a top 10 contract (at that time), he & his staff got comfortable, and they assumed figured it would all take care of itself.

What is he being lazy about?

The recruiting hasn't been terrible. Most good coaches would likely take this talent to #3 or #4 in the SEC.

Surely he and his assistants are teaching the same ol system.

Are they just not practicing hard enough? Not teaching at all?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

RedRock

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on February 07, 2017, 09:19:28 pm

The recruiting hasn't been terrible. Most good coaches would likely take this talent to #3 or #4 in the SEC.

Surely he and his assistants are teaching the same ol system.

Are they just not practicing hard enough? Not teaching at all?

They don't adapt and/or evolve. They do what they've always done. Practices are run the same way, by the same people.

Other than the recent Scotty/Zim swap, everything has been run the same way for a long time. There's no innovation. No new coaching/recruiting connections. No change to the style run on the floor. Scheduling had to be taken away out of the staff's hands a few years ago, remember? They couldn't get it done and a chaperone was forced on them. Nothing has changed, except for the roster.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgwild child

You can't play 40 minutes of hell anymore.  To many whistles and free throws and there's a TV timeout every 5 mins of action almost.  That's an old style that's irrelevant to today's game. Mike won't adjust or doesn't know how.  There's no flow to play that style anymore

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 07, 2017, 08:53:54 pm
I'm curious to know what has happened to Anderson since he got here? he dominated at UAB and Mizzou, but can't seem to get anything going here

Million Dollar question.... I have no answer for it
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

MikePiazza

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 07, 2017, 09:30:21 pm
You can't play 40 minutes of hell anymore.  To many whistles and free throws and there's a TV timeout every 5 mins of action almost.  That's an old style that's irrelevant to today's game. Mike won't adjust or doesn't know how.  There's no flow to play that style anymore

Style doesn't matter if you have players. He doesn't have players.

He's got some athletes and a few players. Moses Kingsley and Dusty Hannahs are basically poor man's versions of Elmer Martin and Warren Linn.

maxhog5

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 07, 2017, 09:32:44 pm
Million Dollar question.... I have no answer for it

There is no answer.  The question is flawed.  He didn't dominate at Missouri.  He was mediocre and was one more mediocre season away from being fired when he left.

hawgwild child

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 07, 2017, 09:33:25 pm
Style doesn't matter if you have players. He doesn't have players.

He's got some athletes and a few players. Moses Kingsley and Dusty Hannahs are basically poor man's versions of Elmer Martin and Warren Linn.
Ok whose fault is that?
The style used to work, it doesnr anymore. When he had UAB and even when nolan was good.  He went adjust his style, yes that is why he isn't successful.

hogsanity

If people had used ther brains instead of their hearts 6 years ago they would have seen that Mike was a average coach who had 2 good NCAAT runs. He built his resume with a NCAAt win over a win over a fading KY team in the ncaat and then had one decent team at Mizzu.

Some of us tried to tell everyone what they were getting in Mike, a good guy, average recruiter if he didnt have a family in with a kid, and a poor game coach who was a 1 trick pony. Note the pattern - at UAB ncaa sweet 16, ncaa 2nd round, ncaa 1st round. Mizzu, elite 8, 2nd rnd, 1st rnd. Peaked early at both places, never was able to build on success.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MikePiazza

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 07, 2017, 09:36:05 pm
Ok whose fault is that?
The style used to work, it doesnr anymore. When he had UAB and even when nolan was good.  He went adjust his style, yes that is why he isn't successful.

If you have players, the style works. If you don't have players, the style doesn't work.

Manny Watkins was going to walk on at Missouri State and they let him walk on here and he's the only one that shows any heart or determination defensively on a consistent basis. That's why this team can't guard the 3 to save their life.

Etowah

He was a little overrated coming out of Missouri.

The Missouri fans have told me if it had not been for DeMarre Carroll, who is related in some way, had not transferred from Vandy, he would have never made the tournament at Missouri.

Carroll was the perfect player for the style he played.

His last year at Missouri, his team limped into the tournament and went out quickly.

UAB....all about the Ky win.

With all of that said, if he gets his players in here that can play his style, it will be exciting and he will have a shot to win it all.

HogBreath

Quote from: Breems on February 07, 2017, 09:19:28 pm

The recruiting hasn't been terrible.

Well, pretty much what ever you'd want to name.

And the non terrible recruiting, I must have dozed off during that part.  I've always thought he compounded his sad recruiting with a complete lack of player development.

Isn't what would be our current sophomore class the one where he didn't end up with any players?  Not terrible?  Surely you jest?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Etowah

Zimmerman was actually his best assistant.

Not sure why he was the one that was purged.

Sivad

Smithsonian37

Mizzou fan here. I don't hate Anderson because he undoubtedly left our program in better shape than it was in when he found it, but maybe I can give a little context:

-He had a few players that sort of fell into his lap that were integral in his elite 8 run here. Demarre Carroll was his nephew who transferred from Vandy. He's turned into a very good NBA player. Leo Lyons and Matt Lawrence were holdovers from the previous staff. These 3 players gave him two perfect big men to run his system, (Those guys are really hard to find) and a knock down 3 point shooter. Once those 3 all left there was an immediate downturn.

-The game has changed since Mike was at Mizzou. The NCAA has really cracked down on the way refs call games, and hand checks and aggressive defense are infinitely harder to get away with than they used to. This is especially true on the road, where Mike struggles the most.

Opinion: His system works very well when he has the guys for it, but he's so inflexible in it that if he doesn't have the right pieces, his teams vastly underperform. Evidence being his last team at Mizzou. Everyone knew that team was very talented, but they squeaked into the tournament and had a very mediocre season because they were running a system they were ill equipped for.

Frank Haith, a notoriously mediocre X's and O's coach- took the same team the next year, (Minus a fringe all conference-level PF) installed a more traditional system, and came within one shot of upending Kansas for the big 12 title.

Again, opinion here- but I think Anderson's success has always been predicated upon finding perfect fits in players. Seems that outside of the Portis years, he hasn't been able to do that for most of his time at Arkansas.

swineology

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 07, 2017, 08:53:54 pm

Dream job, Nolan protege, unfireable 2 mil  year

mizzouman

Quote from: Smithsonian37 on February 07, 2017, 10:39:47 pm
Mizzou fan here. I don't hate Anderson because he undoubtedly left our program in better shape than it was in when he found it, but maybe I can give a little context:

-He had a few players that sort of fell into his lap that were integral in his elite 8 run here. Demarre Carroll was his nephew who transferred from Vandy. He's turned into a very good NBA player. Leo Lyons and Matt Lawrence were holdovers from the previous staff. These 3 players gave him two perfect big men to run his system, (Those guys are really hard to find) and a knock down 3 point shooter. Once those 3 all left there was an immediate downturn.

-The game has changed since Mike was at Mizzou. The NCAA has really cracked down on the way refs call games, and hand checks and aggressive defense are infinitely harder to get away with than they used to. This is especially true on the road, where Mike struggles the most.

Opinion: His system works very well when he has the guys for it, but he's so inflexible in it that if he doesn't have the right pieces, his teams vastly underperform. Evidence being his last team at Mizzou. Everyone knew that team was very talented, but they squeaked into the tournament and had a very mediocre season because they were running a system they were ill equipped for.

Frank Haith, a notoriously mediocre X's and O's coach- took the same team the next year, (Minus a fringe all conference-level PF) installed a more traditional system, and came within one shot of upending Kansas for the big 12 title.

Again, opinion here- but I think Anderson's success has always been predicated upon finding perfect fits in players. Seems that outside of the Portis years, he hasn't been able to do that for most of his time at Arkansas.

Let me just add to this post that if you compare the guards at Mizzou vs. Arkansas, it's not even close to being equal.  Taylor, Denmon, Tiller, Pressey (1 yr), Dixon (2 yrs).  There's not one guard in CMA's tenure at Arkansas that would crack that lineup.  Not one and give CMA what he needs.  This is the main reason

Also add in Bowers, Ramsey, Ratliff and Mike had some players.  But, unfortunately, could have been even better.  Imagine Brad Beal and Otto Porter.

For some reason, I don't know, he cannot get those type of players at Arkansas.  Other than Portis and Qualls, he has struggled.

razoredge178

When you have a D1 program that shuffles an assistant coach to the radio and brings the displaced radio guy on staff as an assistant coach without a coaching search, you know you're both in Arkansas, and have a coach that is riding the good time as long as it goes. I hope the good ole boy system is turned on its head after this season. Anderson, Watkins, Thurman, all of them need to go. House cleaning time. No hold overs.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Etowah on February 07, 2017, 10:34:03 pm

This is 100% true.

But recruiting has picked up since bringing Thurman on. Maybe one of the other coaches should have gone instead.

TrueBlue

He has run out of family members and friends of the family to "recruit". That is how he was successful at Mizzou.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 07, 2017, 09:35:24 pm
There is no answer.  The question is flawed.  He didn't dominate at Missouri.  He was mediocre and was one more mediocre season away from being fired when he left.
I'm confused. When did 3 straight NCAA tournament appearances become mediocre? Oh, I know. The Big12 was weak then. Carry on...

Missouri Tigers (Big 12 Conference) (2006–2011)
2006–07 Missouri 18–12 7–9 6th 
2007–08 Missouri 16–16 6–10 10th 
2008–09 Missouri 31–7 12–4 3rd NCAA Elite Eight
2009–10 Missouri 23–11 10–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2010–11 Missouri 23–11 8–8 T–5th NCAA First Round
Missouri: 111–57 (.661) 43–37 (.538)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 09:04:37 am
I'm confused. When did 3 straight NCAA tournament appearances become mediocre? Oh, I know. The Big12 was weak then. Carry on...

So now the NCAAt is the measure of success? He was barely above 500 in the big12.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

maxhog5

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 09:04:37 am

I see one really good season out of 5.  Sounds familiar.

mizzouman

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 08, 2017, 09:20:26 am

CMA mailed in that last year which is very unfortunate. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 09:15:51 am
So now the NCAAt is the measure of success? He was barely above 500 in the big12.
To some, they call that 7-9 conference season that we made the tournament under Stan Heath a success. Which one is it? Was that a successful season or not? Some say just make the tournament and you've had a successful season. Has the bar been raised again? Which one is it?

I'm just basing these questions on the recent post history of hogville-jump ball.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 08, 2017, 09:20:26 am
He made the tournament 3 years in a row. According to most hogvillians anytime you make the tourney that is considered a successful season. You care to change your bar now too?

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 10:03:30 am
To some, they call that 7-9 conference season that we made the tournament under Stan Heath a success. Which one is it? Was that a successful season or not? Some say just make the tournament and you've had a successful season. Has the bar been raised again? Which one is it?

I'm just basing these questions on the recent post history of hogville-jump ball.

I've been consistent on that, make the tournament and it has been a good year. You can't win the ncaat if you are not in it. Mike has failed to do that in 4 of his 5 season here so far, and is really trying hard to make it 5 of 6, that is why I deem his tenure here as a failure. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 10:06:38 am
I've been consistent on that, make the tournament and it has been a good year. You can't win the ncaat if you are not in it. Mike has failed to do that in 4 of his 5 season here so far, and is really trying hard to make it 5 of 6, that is why I deem his tenure here as a failure.
Finally something we can agree on. Just get in the tournament and see what happens. You can't win it if you ain't in it. But let's be honest. Even I may raise the bar if we were to make the tournament. (And that's a big if) Depending on what team we would play.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 10:05:29 am
He made the tournament 3 years in a row. According to most hogvillians anytime you make the tourney that is considered a successful season. You care to change your bar now too?

the concerning thing with Mike though is at both UAB and Mizzu, his 1st NCAAT appearance was his best.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2017, 10:22:02 am
the concerning thing with Mike though is at both UAB and Mizzu, his 1st NCAAT appearance was his best.
Concerning indeed...

maxhog5

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 08, 2017, 10:05:29 am

I've never changed.  I made the same arguments 6 years ago.  That Anderson's record at Missouri was being overvalued.  I was in favor of Buzz.  The Anderson era has gone just as I expected.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Etowah on February 07, 2017, 10:34:03 pm

Was he truly purged though? Other than not sitting with the team during games and keeping count of fouls, has anything changed? Is he no longer running drills in practice, and working with guards alongside Cleveland? I can see that he's lost recruiting responsibility, and deservedly so.

Tejano Jawg

This thread has shown that there's mostly a 'perception' about how well he did at Missouri. Like the thread title, I also thought it was better than it was. All the so-so seasons here have made his earlier teams look better than they actually were.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

colbs

I think the big difference is the way the officials call the game now and CMA hasn't adapted.  You can still run his style but you have to be able to play in the half court as well.  He should have hired an X & O guy and added some set plays for the half court offense.  The half court defense has been even worse.  I think in the past when there wasn't a whistle every other possession his teams where able to capitalize off turnovers and limit other teams possessions.  Also, when there were less whistles the other team didn't shoot a ton more free throws than Arkansas.