Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Devin Thomas taking visit to Ole Miss

Started by The Realist, December 30, 2007, 07:19:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

AnthroHog

Well, that's really disappointing.  I thought that he was for sure staying.  Wonder if Nutt is promising him the starting RB spot too?  I really hope that we get Thomas.  Which coach was recruiting him for Arkansas?  At least we kept Horton, I hope he liked him.

Hoou

Desperate Hog

I thinkShibest or Allen was recruiting him.  He is an RB and they like Nutt's system.  Petrino should do better getting Qbs and Wrs while Nutt should do better with RBs and maybe OL. 
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

hog_fan

How many people will nutt promise carries to? Curtis, Shuler, Thomas, and a juco RB?

The real Hogules

December 30, 2007, 08:15:08 pm #5 Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:17:24 pm by The real Hogules
Here's as up to date information as I could find on Thomas and it shows he's visiting Ole Miss, but still shows Devin Thomas as having no interest in the Rebels, so I think he's just taking a trip.

Devin Thomas still shows to be a verbal commit to the Hogs and at this point in the game, with our coaching staff set to be announced in the next few days, that's about the best that could've been hoped for.

After the big announcement as to who's rounding out Bobby Petrino's coaching staff I'd expect to see a couple more recruits get excited and quickly pledge to the Razorbacks, before they get caught in a numbers crunch!

Anyway I digress, here's Devin Thomas' schools of interest per Scout................

School                  Interest Level              Offer?               Attended Camp?     Visit Date     Signed LOI?
Arkansas                    Verbal                     Yes                                              None   
Mississippi               No Interest                  Yes                                           01/12/2008    
Missouri                  No Interest                  Yes                                              None   
Oklahoma State       No Interest                   Yes                                              None   
Stanford                 No Interest                   Yes                                              None   
Texas A&M              No Interest                   Yes                                              None   

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Desperate Hog on December 30, 2007, 08:07:04 pm
I thinkShibest or Allen was recruiting him.  He is an RB and they like Nutt's system.  Petrino should do better getting Qbs and Wrs while Nutt should do better with RBs and maybe OL. 

Bull crap BP will ge top notch RB for his offense, along with WR & QB. 

Hawgvillain

Quote from: hog_fan on December 30, 2007, 08:14:00 pm
How many people will nutt promise carries to? Curtis, Shuler, Thomas, and a juco RB?
I don't think Curtis is going anywhere.  Wouldn't shock me to see Thomas go elsewhere, however.  Still, I'll believe it when I see it...

Hogs12

Quote from: Triple P on December 30, 2007, 08:27:30 pm
I completely agree. We SHOULD be able to get top notch RB for his offense in next several years. I do not see how any top notch RB can ignore the fact he runs an as balances offense as possible( I think 60/40 run/ passing offense but I could be wrong). He has proven to use as many weapons as possible. He tries to FTS. That is Feed the stud. You would be crazy not to want to play for Coach Petrino's offense. 

Oklahawg

I am not all that concerned about losing recruits to Nutt. Maybe that is naive.

I worry more about recruits Nutt was not staying in contact with while still at UA. Recruits who were wooed by others between November 1 and the Golden Handcuffs Presser.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2007, 08:44:22 pm

I worry more about recruits Nutt was not staying in contact with while still at UA. Recruits who were wooed by others between November 1 and the Golden Handcuffs Presser.
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Wel said!
     If they decide to leave, let them. Petrino will do a superb job of recruiting to the U of A. Better than Nutt ever did.
     Nutt was not even average when it came to recruiting, he was down right horrible.
     Be patient, my fellow Hog fans. Petrino will bring i blue chip recruits that people said we would not ever get to come here.
     Just wait and see.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

The Realist

Quote from: Triple P on December 30, 2007, 08:27:30 pm
Devin Thomas is a top notch RB.  Look at his videos.  Much better than Curtis in my opinion regardless of what rankings say
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

SpiritHog

I think if I wanted to travel for travel's sake I could find someplace other than Oxford to go.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

SquidBilly

Quote from: SPIRITHOG on December 30, 2007, 09:33:36 pm
I think if I wanted to travel for travel's sake I could find someplace other than Oxford to go.

And I think if I wanted to go to school to play football I would find someplace other than Oxford to go. 

Oklahawg

Thomas was recruited for Nutt's system. Of course, that system relies upon an assembly-line of OL who were handpicked for the system. Oh, it also helps to have highlight reel footage of two freakish RBs to show it off. The only thing Nutt can't offer Thomas at OM is the, well, OL pipeline and the highlight reel footage of OM RBs.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TMooney

Dont get worried over kids taking a free trip. They also get one here they havent had yet.

Wildhog

Petrino hasn't even talked to Thomas yet...he needs to get on that.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgballz

Quote from: Wildhog05 on December 30, 2007, 11:08:21 pm
Petrino hasn't even talked to Thomas yet...he needs to get on that.

Tim Horton says that Petrino has talked to Thomas and I believe I saw an article where Thomas & his dad said they had spoke to Petrino.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

justmaybe

Hawgballz

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 30, 2007, 08:15:08 pm
Here's as up to date information as I could find on Thomas and it shows he's visiting Ole Miss, but still shows Devin Thomas as having no interest in the Rebels, so I think he's just taking a trip.

Devin Thomas still shows to be a verbal commit to the Hogs and at this point in the game, with our coaching staff set to be announced in the next few days, that's about the best that could've been hoped for.

After the big announcement as to who's rounding out Bobby Petrino's coaching staff I'd expect to see a couple more recruits get excited and quickly pledge to the Razorbacks, before they get caught in a numbers crunch!

Anyway I digress, here's Devin Thomas' schools of interest per Scout................

School                  Interest Level              Offer?               Attended Camp?     Visit Date     Signed LOI?
Arkansas                    Verbal                     Yes                                              None   
Mississippi               No Interest                  Yes                                           01/12/2008    
Missouri                  No Interest                  Yes                                              None   
Oklahoma State       No Interest                   Yes                                              None   
Stanford                 No Interest                   Yes                                              None   
Texas A&M              No Interest                   Yes                                              None   

I believe that when you are committed to someone then you are shown with "no interest" in everyone else, automatically.  I may be wrong about this, but this is what I have always thought.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgballz on December 30, 2007, 11:11:30 pm
Tim Horton says that Petrino has talked to Thomas and I believe I saw an article where Thomas & his dad said they had spoke to Petrino.

I meant in person, sorry.  Thomas said himself in an article that he hadn't met with Petrino face to face yet.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgballz

Quote from: Wildhog05 on December 30, 2007, 11:16:55 pm
I meant in person, sorry.  Thomas said himself in an article that he hadn't met with Petrino face to face yet.

I agree, I am looking forward to all of the commits getting to meet Petrino on their visits in January.

saywhat?

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 30, 2007, 08:44:22 pm

I agree, nothing about Nutt being at Ole Piss bothers me at all.  Especially recruiting against him.

saywhat?

Gohawgs71

how the F@#$ did JFB and White not secure some type verbal agreement with Nutt not to go after our recruits.  For F@#$ sakes they gave him 3.5 million and a BS story that he was given an extentsion.  Makes me sick!!!!!!

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: Gohawgs71 on December 31, 2007, 04:44:10 am
how the F@#$ did JFB and White not secure some type verbal agreement with Nutt not to go after our recruits.  For F@#$ sakes they gave him 3.5 million and a BS story that he was given an extentsion.  Makes me sick!!!!!!

They did...
That's the problem with Verbal Agreemants and HDN. He doesn't honor them ;)

arklahoman36

Quote from: Hawgballz on December 30, 2007, 11:13:30 pm
I believe that when you are committed to someone then you are shown with "no interest" in everyone else, automatically.  I may be wrong about this, but this is what I have always thought.

You're not wrong.

HawgPilot

jgphillips3

I can't blame the kid if he takes a visit.  Nutt recruited him and he agreed to sign on with Nutt.  As much as we may despise Nutt, he has a history of having good running backs and featuring them.  I can't blame an 18 year old from another State for not seeing Nutt for what we see him for.  I would strongly suspect that our full strength coaching staff can still make a good push for him and keep him in the fold.  I think we need to be patient until the staff gets in place and the dead period ends in a week or so.

hog_fan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 31, 2007, 09:14:38 am
I can't blame the kid if he takes a visit.  Nutt recruited him and he agreed to sign on with Nutt.  As much as we may despise Nutt, he has a history of having good running backs and featuring them.  I can't blame an 18 year old from another State for not seeing Nutt for what we see him for.  I would strongly suspect that our full strength coaching staff can still make a good push for him and keep him in the fold.  I think we need to be patient until the staff gets in place and the dead period ends in a week or so.

He agreed to sign with the hogs not Houston Nutt. And nutt is recruiting aleast 3 RBs promising them all the same thing.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Hawgvillain on December 30, 2007, 08:28:53 pm
I don't think Curtis is going anywhere.  Wouldn't shock me to see Thomas go elsewhere, however.  Still, I'll believe it when I see it...

I would be surprised to see Devin go anywhere else.

COCHISE

Quote from: Gohawgs71 on December 31, 2007, 04:44:10 am
That's why you don't allow a coach to sign with a rival school, especially a school just one state over.

Hogaliciousness

I hope he stays with us.  If not, he'll learn pretty quick from the mistake of not going with the HOGs. 

I think that we have noticed quite a bit of positives since Petrino came on board. 

It seems fair to say that we will see much bigger things immediately after his staff is in place.  All this to say, we may have some real phenoms come in from left field to be a part of the current recruit group and the next era in Fayetteville.  The ones that buy into cheap promises will open up schollies for quite possibly better fits in the new system. 

I am ready for some football!

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 10:10:02 am
He agreed to sign with the hogs not Houston Nutt. And nutt is recruiting aleast 3 RBs promising them all the same thing.

I agree with both of you.  We all know Houston signed players who "wanted to play for that helmet", but you also must have watched how many of his players stood up for him during the saga of the past few years.  He is very emotional and as a player its easy to be enraptured by that.  Futhermore, you cannot question a player's decision to rethink his commitment after a coaching change at a university which is not of his home state.   

jkcrunch

Quote from: SPIRITHOG on December 30, 2007, 09:33:36 pm

Have you ever seen the chicks that go to Oxford?   If I was a stud RB i would visit Oxford in a heart beat.   Some of the hottest chick in the SEC go to Ole Miss.   I would say the hottie to non hottie ratio is much better than most of the conference.

BERLY_HOGMAN

I firmly believe that any recruit that has committed to the Hogs and ends up at another school will be because Petrino was not completely sold on the the recruit. If Petrino wants the recruit, he will get them and can and will out-recruit Nutt on anyday... maybe Petrino will use Jedi mind tricks??? Hell, whatever it takes within the realms of NCAA rules and regulations to get the right players. Is there any NCAA sanctions for Jedi mind tricks???

razorbass

He couldn't get Arkansas Kids when he was at Arkansas. What makes us so sure he can get them to come to Ole Miss  ???

AnthroHog

Quote from: razorbass on December 31, 2007, 04:04:10 pm
He couldn't get Arkansas Kids when he was at Arkansas. What makes us so sure he can get them to come to Ole Miss  ???

Out of the Arkansas commitments taking a visit to Ole Miss only De' Anthony Curtis is from Arkansas.  The other recruits are all from out of state: CB Marcal Robinson (Alabama), FB Thomas Shuler (Florida), OL Josh Tatum (Alabama) and RB Devin Thomas (TX).  I'll be really upset to lose Thomas because I think he could be a stud in Petrino's offense.

Earl

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 31, 2007, 09:12:03 am
Relative to where?

have you been to Oxford? I have been there, their campus and traditions are great, not to mention the girls..

bobetty

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 31, 2007, 09:14:38 am
Great RB's have come from Arkansas for the most part. Cobbs, DMac are Arkansas talent he missed on Cedric Houston and Deanthony Williams...Arkansas always procuces top RBs. We'll be great at RB because of this state and not anything to do with Nutt.

want2be

Nutt is going to try to recruit almost everyone on our verbal list
                 He would be stupid not to this year

Now Petrino and staff should make a call to everyone on Ol Miss's list
        Our new DC coord from Miss State should spearhead the attack

FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Chief Mac

Quote from: Earl on December 31, 2007, 05:30:59 pm

have you been to Oxford? I have been there, their campus and traditions are great, not to mention the girls..

yeah but their facilities are crap
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: bobetty on December 31, 2007, 06:03:18 pm
Has Donna gotten a job in Oxford yet?

at Home Depot.  She is in charge of lumber
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

justmaybe

I really do not understand why you guys are so worried about Houston recruiting these guys. He is a horrible recruiter, recruiting to a supposedly inferior place, to an inferior school, against Petrino who is the best recruiter in the world.

tophawg19

do we really want ole miss's recruits. if we are going to steal players let's get them from bama.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogaliciousness

Ole Piss board saying Battle and Thomas will be commits for them this weekend?  Could be talk... we will see.  Our recruiting needs to go from first to high gear soon.

Hogaliciousness

Also, "Two prospects who are participating in the Max Emfinger All-Star game in Jackson, Miss. this weekend are defensive lineman Lavunce Askew and quarterback Jim Youngblood. Both are from Arkansas and are currently Razorback commits, but word we get is they plan on making an unofficial or official visit to Ole Miss in the near future. Askew said that he may take an unofficial visit this weekend, but they may just consist of a drive through Oxford and the campus."  FYI