Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Refs Ever Really "Fix" Games?

Started by truckfan2009, October 18, 2009, 12:18:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BCS or Bust

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2009, 11:01:40 pm
Well, lets see, in 2007 Ark beat #1 LSu the last weekend of the reg season, at LSU no less, and what conf still won the BCS title?  In 2008 old misses beat Fla at FLA no less, and what conf won the BCS Title? 

FL losing yesterday would not have cost the SEC anything.  If FL had lost and then both they and Bama won out, the winner of the SECCG would STILL have been in the BCS title game and the loser would almost certainly been a BCS at large team.

Yes, AR won in OT.  Do you have the penalty stats for that game?  Is it possible they ran the BCS #'s and knew LSU would still represent the SEC?  A simple BCS calcualtion before the game was even over could have determined LSU could lose and it it seem that the SEC is just so tough.

Referring to the OM Florida game...I hardly think the refs could help Florida missing an PAT to tie the game or even Florida going for it on 4 and 2 within fieldgoal range.

I don't think there is a "fix" per say but I prefer to just call the playcalling "dirty."  This game just had ALOT of really horrible calls and there also happened to be the #1 Gators and ESPN's son on the other end.

Nothing is absurd is big businesses.  I would have said the Enron scandel was absurd until I actually saw it unfold.  I saw these calls just like Enron.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: jman on October 18, 2009, 12:28:38 am
You know.....its sad.....but......you have an excellent point...theres huge money involved in college sports.

Some sport announcers/casters/experts said that ND will make it into a BCS game even if they lose 3 games because of the money they would bring to the game with the bad economy we have. Sounds like they are trying to get two undefeated teams in the SECT with both of them going to BCS games and one to the NC game. Huge money for the SEC teams for sure. I don't blame them for wanting that but when it gets obvious that something isn't right due to bad and no penalty calls it makes one wonder.

hogs7199

Quote from: ark525 on October 18, 2009, 12:25:42 am
I doubt millions of dollars are riding on the outcomes of 99% of high school games....

just sayin'

I wasn't referencing high school games.  I was just saying that, until I saw what happened Saturday, I had a lot of faith that most officials (at any level) just want to do a good job, regardless of who wins the game.  Bad calls happen.  Officials are human.  But, Florida's last TD drive was aided by a terrible PI call, a no call on the OPI, and a mystery personal foul.  It was obvious that the officials were going to give Florida every chance to score.  I really hate that the officials became such a big part of this game. 

2FNFST4U

hogs7199

Quote from: Tripod1 on October 18, 2009, 12:14:54 pm
I don't believe he was referening to to millions and high school so cut him some slack.  His remarks just stated he was a high school ref and thus refs tend to stick up for other refs.  I am a retired high school and college ref and up until yesterday I have always stuck up for refs because I don't believe they have an agenda.  Yesterday the refs completely changed the outcome of the game.  Was there a fix in?  I don't believe so.  Were they completely incompetent?  A very big YES.  They should not be assigned any more games this season.

You are right on the money.  I will stand up for the officials under most circumstances.  But, this game was the worst officiated game that I have ever seen.  This crew should be suspended and forced to work pee-wee games for the rest of the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: BCS or Bust on October 19, 2009, 01:54:55 am
Yes, AR won in OT.  Do you have the penalty stats for that game?  Is it possible they ran the BCS #'s and knew LSU would still represent the SEC?  A simple BCS calcualtion before the game was even over could have determined LSU could lose and it it seem that the SEC is just so tough.

The only way LSU made it back to the BCS title game was by 3 or 4 teams losing, including West VA losing to a horrible Pitt team.  Also, LSU still had to beat Tn in the SECCG. 

They could have helped FLA against OM in 2008, just a generous spot when FLA went for it, or a off side call on OM for lined in the neutral zone, which could be called on just about every 4th and short. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OKhogfan1959

I don't know why Hogsanity is still on this site? Why don't you move on to the Rebel boards? You add nothing to this board...

hogsanity

Quote from: LawnHog48 on October 19, 2009, 08:43:29 am
I don't know why Hogsanity is still on this site? Why don't you move on to the Rebel boards? You add nothing to this board...

So, because I do not blame the refs or think that the SEC or refs in general fix games, I should leave.

Again, why would the SEC, when making BILLIONS off TV deals, risk it all to fix a game? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OKhogfan1959

Been and official not in the SEC or at that level. I can tell you that even down to the Jr High level some things go on that are not right. Games can be easily affected in many ways. Like allowing a OT to hold a DE for the entire game and not call a holding call. The more he gets away with holding the more he does it.

If you have the game on DVR. Go back and watch the long pass play where Florida's WR interfered with Stewart..Right in front of the official #51 has his jersey pulled around in what was obviously a holding call, no call. I mean it's clear you can see the official right there???

You call it what you want Scott but I know for a fact relationships and things can make the difference in winning and losing. If you call a couple of cheap early fouls on one teams start player=huge impact. Let Florida's tackle hold play after play=huge impact..Not one single hold call and what about the one obvious spot where the official moved the ball up about 2 yards? Just enough to get past the line marker that he was looking right at?

Conspiracy or not it was like the old SWC days. It doesn't help when media guys like you want to argue with Arkansas fans about the word conspiracy..
It's about what happened in that game. Cheating is cheating.

hogsanity

So, now you can't post here unless you think the refs, and the SEC are fixing games?

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2009, 08:51:44 am
So, now you can't post here unless you think the refs, and the SEC are fixing games?

You are NOT  a Hogfan..You just like starting BS..Who are you rooting for this Saturday? And don't lie.

hogsanity

Quote from: LawnHog48 on October 19, 2009, 08:55:53 am
You are NOT  a Hogfan..You just like starting BS..Who are you rooting for this Saturday? And don't lie.

As with every HOG game since I can remember, which goes back to 1973, I am rooting for the Razorbacks. 

So, now unless I believe that everyone is out to get poor little ol Arkansas I am not a Hog fan?  I thought Hopgville was dedicated to getting rid of the "poor little ole Arkansas" way of thinking. 

Tripod1

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 18, 2009, 06:14:54 pm
There is no conspiracy theory at work. If anything, it's a subconscious thing where refs favor top players and teams.

Jordan could be breathed on by a defender and he'd be a the foul line. Top pitchers can throw a ball six inches off the plate and it's a strike, rookie throws on in exact same spot and it's a ball.

But it's not overt. Nobody from the league office ordered the refs to make those poor calls. There is simply too much to risk getting caught, and getting caught would cost the league a lot more money than Arkansas upsetting Florida.

That said, I'm disappointed nobody has tied this into the Arthur Blank/Home Depot/ESPN conspiracy against Petrino. If you're going to go out on a conspiracy limb, really step away from the trunk!
I don't agree with Scott EVER but I do in this post.  Horrible calls for sure and it did change the complexion of the game.  I am sure the SEC office was puckered as they most certainly want Florida and Bama in the SEC Championship game but no way could they have officials fix the game.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2009, 08:57:52 am
As with every HOG game since I can remember, which goes back to 1973, I am rooting for the Razorbacks. 

So, now unless I believe that everyone is out to get poor little ol Arkansas I am not a Hog fan?  I thought Hopgville was dedicated to getting rid of the "poor little ole Arkansas" way of thinking. 

Are you 100% sure you'll be rooting for the Hogs? If so I guess I had you wrong. Seems to me you are  huge Nuttfan?

hillhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2009, 05:52:36 pm
DO you really beieve the SEC would risk all it is, all it has, and all it will have, by fixing the outcome of a game?
Do you really believe they think they would get caught, proven guilty?? Bernard Madoff come to mind???
They do it, they know they do it and don't care what the minions think. Our only choice is to gripe, watch our team and some others watch their team get screwed on occasion, and live with it.

hillhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2009, 08:48:37 am
So, because I do not blame the refs or think that the SEC or refs in general fix games, I should leave.

Again, why would the SEC, when making BILLIONS off TV deals, risk it all to fix a game? 
why, you ask??? How about the opportunity to make much more by having a dream team in the BCS championship game. Answer enough.

hogsanity

Quote from: LawnHog48 on October 19, 2009, 09:22:05 am
Are you 100% sure you'll be rooting for the Hogs? If so I guess I had you wrong. Seems to me you are  huge Nuttfan?

When he was the Hogs coach, just like I am a Petrino fan now, because he is the Hogs coach.  I really do not give old misses a 2nd thought, because they are irrelevant in college fb.  They were this years over rated pre season team.  Every year there is some high ranked team that turns into a bust.

hogsanity

Quote from: hillhog on October 19, 2009, 09:24:21 am
Do you really believe they think they would get caught, proven guilty?? Bernard Madoff come to mind???
They do it, they know they do it and don't care what the minions think. Our only choice is to gripe, watch our team and some others watch their team get screwed on occasion, and live with it.

I believe Mr Madoff is in prison.
Quote from: hillhog on October 19, 2009, 09:27:31 am
why, you ask??? How about the opportunity to make much more by having a dream team in the BCS championship game. Answer enough.

Even with a FLA loss, the SEC was stll in great shape to have a team in the BCS title game as well as a BCS at large team.  They just are not going to risk the BILLIONS they make off their current media deals by fixing games.

Dugann

You nailed it hootie just go away plz...well stick around for beating this weekend then go away plz!!!
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2009, 10:18:11 pm
Then, to follow that to its logical conclusion, EVERY FL and Bama game is fixed, because that is the only way to GUARANTEE a Fl/Bama matchup.

Wake up! The answer is absolutely.  As long as the game is close in the last quarter the refs can get it done for Florida and Alabama.  It is really easy to use judgement calls to give the team that is supposed to win the boost it needs to do so.

That is why Florida and Alabama will not lose this regular season unless their opponent is stomping a mud hole in them and no number of "judgement calls" can tip the balance toward them.

Verge

It happens quite often... you'd have to be naive to think otherwise.

Last time i remember, was the 2002 World Cup in korea. The korea v. italy and korea v. spain games were blatantly rigged in order for the host country to look good. It's so depressing.

The Florida game definitely brought back memories of this.

subjectstorm

man, you can call this whatever you want - all i know is, the officiating was TERRIBLE, it was one-sided, and it SEEMED deliberate.

it seems like there's no one in the country (outside the state of florida, maybe) who thinks this game was called fairly.

I suppose that any motive i assigned to this would be pure specualtion, but I know what I saw, and i don't think i could call it an accident.

HognotinMemphis

If you review the game play by play, I wonder how many mistakes officials made in this one? More than average? They are going to make mistakes every game of course. But, did they make 1 or 2 more mistakes than average, or did they make 8 or 9 more mistakes than average? How many calls did they make incorrectly? How many blantant penalties occured that they missed and did not throw flags on? Why did they see so many penalties on the Hogs but missed so many on the Gators, like the late hit OB on Johnson after his hard tackle-breaking run? Like the late hit on Mallett that a ref surely witnessed but decided it wasn't late enough?

What happens to refs like this that mess up a game so badly that it influences which team wins and which team loses? Do they get reprimanded? Do they get demoted? Are they fired? What?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

sportschick

I asked on another thread, but haven't heard....do any of you know anything about the rumor that the same crew is officiating the Ole Miss game?  I can't find anything on it.  Please, let it be just a nasty rumor!!