Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This one is on Anderson

Started by AlmaHog2011, January 02, 2018, 10:14:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

This stuff, comparing Nolan and Mike, is kind of off base, I think.  Nolan is a hall of famer, while Mike Anderson is the best coach we've had since Nolan, which isn't bad. And who knows?  MA's best years may be ahead of him.  His lifetime record is not exactly chopped liver, although his accomplishments, so far, don't rank with Nolan's.  You know, people forget that Nolan's last seven years here were filled with a lot of mediocrity.  MA's team this year might be better than any of Nolan's last seven.  Also, does it never dawn on you guys that Nolan's temper was his worst enemy?  He could have coached till he wanted to retire had he not lost his temper after that fateful loss to Kentucky in 2002.  I think you could argue that his temper and the anger he carried around with him were his biggest flaw, not something to be emulated.

my3boneheads

SEC teams should shoot 80% from the charity stripe.

Slater

Quote from: Jzilla on January 02, 2018, 10:34:29 pm
Mike is nowhere near the coach that Nolan was and never will be!!

Nolan is one of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball. Mike is an elite coach, people outside of hawgville understand the game better and acknowledge that. 
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Slater on January 03, 2018, 09:54:25 pm
Nolan is one of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball. Mike is an elite coach, people outside of hawgville understand the game better and acknowledge that. 

Elite coaches go to the NCAAT more than 3 times in 7 yrs ( yes I am counting this year as a ncaat year ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgtime

I just don't get as excited about our basketball team because they always have hiccups. 

i LOVE Mike but he needs to get better players to play his style or we will NEVER get over the hump.

go hogs.... oh well.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawgtime on January 04, 2018, 07:31:13 am
I just don't get as excited about our basketball team because they always have hiccups. 

i LOVE Mike but he needs to get better players to play his style or we will NEVER get over the hump.

go hogs.... oh well.

Our three losses are to teams with a combined record if 37-6. Even the best Nolan teams lost at Starkville. I think people need to calm the frick down and relax.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2018, 07:55:54 am
Our three losses are to teams with a combined record if 37-6. Even the best Nolan teams lost at Starkville. I think people need to calm the frick down and relax.

Really the ones who need to calm down are those who were on here immediately trying to pick fights by "defending" Mike. Most people were saying it was not a very good performance from the Hogs, but also not a season killer and at only 3 losses they are still in good shape. But of course you got the Anderson PR crew on here taking exception to anything anyone posted if it was not 100% Mike ( not the Hogs mind you but Mike ) got ripped off by the refs.

They did not play well, coming off an emotional come back win Sat, it happens.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

latrops

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2018, 07:55:54 am

It isn't just this loss at Starkville.  This is just another in a line of disappointing road losses.  Maybe it is insignificant and we get on a roll...or maybe it suggests that we are yet again a 7 to 11 seed unlikely to survive the first weekend of the NCAAT, if we get in.

Losses like this shake much of the fanbase's confidence that this team is anything special.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:19:19 am
Really the ones who need to calm down are those who were on here immediately trying to pick fights by "defending" Mike. But of course you got the Anderson PR crew on here taking exception to anything anyone posted if it was not 100% Mike ( not the Hogs mind you but Mike ) got ripped off by the refs.

this is stupid BS as usual from you... look at the different OP's and reply's.. this is on Mike, Mike's fault, Mike doesn't teach box out, Mike has no fire etc.etc.etc.. what do you expect when the lynch mob show's back up after a tough road loss.. for fans of Mike and the Razorbacks to sit back and allow BS remarks to go by without defense... I't obvious many can't wait for a loss...

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 04, 2018, 08:31:30 am
this is stupid BS as usual from you... look at the different OP's and reply's.. this is on Mike, Mike's fault, Mike doesn't teach box out, Mike has no fire etc.etc.etc.. what do you expect when the lynch mob show's back up after a tough road loss.. for fans of Mike and the Razorbacks to sit back and allow BS remarks to go by without defense... I't obvious many can't wait for a loss...

why didn't you show my entire quote? you know the part where I said many felt the loss was not a big issue coming off an emotional home win just 3 days before.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:33:32 am
why didn't you show my entire quote? you know the part where I said many felt the loss was not a big issue coming off an emotional home win just 3 days before.

that's your style now since you've been shouted down for all your negativity.. Now, you say something positive to show how you've evolved on Mike but then you attach a slant or slight to make yourself feel better.... or you repeat negativity from others where you can say it was not you, you're just repeating what others said.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 04, 2018, 08:39:43 am
that your style now since you've been shouted down for all your negativity.. Now, you say something positive to show how you've evolved on Mike but then you attach a slant or slight to make yourself feel better....

So, just as it has always been it either has to be 100% positive or the poster must just hate Mike Anderson. Thanks for finally admitting that.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:43:03 am
So, just as it has always been it either has to be 100% positive or the poster must just hate Mike Anderson. Thanks for finally admitting that.

so you changed your spots after 6 years?   No, now you just crawl around in the weeds and attack at the ankles..

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 04, 2018, 08:44:56 am
so you changed your spots after 6 years?   No, now you just crawl around in the weeds and attack at the ankles..

Mike is a good coach, not great and I have said that from before he was hired. This year he has a above average starting 5, with not much off the bench right now which is going to hurt if it does not get fixed.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:50:07 am
Mike is a good coach, not great and I have said that from before he was hired. This year he has a above average starting 5, with not much off the bench right now which is going to hurt if it does not get fixed.

totally agree.. which I usually do, when your talking issues, not personality...

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 02, 2018, 10:17:35 pm
Meh, only decision I didn’t care for from Anderson was going zone with a 4 pt lead less than 2 min to play. Can’t give up a 3 there.

Agreed. When a team is up by 4 with less than 2 minutes left, they should go to a man on man and play lock down coverage on the perimeter forcing their opponent to take 2 point shots.

This loss isn't on Mike though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 09:14:47 am
Agreed. When a team is up by 4 with less than 2 minutes left, they should go to a man on man and play lock down coverage on the perimeter forcing their opponent to take 2 point shots.

they were like 2-19 from 3pt range and had been beating the Hogs off the dribble all night, going to a zone was the right move, made them burn clock, and kept them outside where they had been abysmal all night.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 09:14:47 am

This loss isn't on Mike though.

I disagree.. thought you wanted to make them shoot it outside.. unfortunately they hit them.. they were like 2 of 19 before that

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 09:19:00 am
they were like 2-19 from 3pt range and had been beating the Hogs off the dribble all night, going to a zone was the right move, made them burn clock, and kept them outside where they had been abysmal all night.

It's true, they were 2-19 from 3 point range most of the night but since they were capable of getting hot from there anytime, there was no reason for the Hogs to take chances on defense. With less than 2 minutes remaining in the game and a 4 point lead, they should have gone to a man on man and locked the perimeter down.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 09:26:48 am
It's true, they were 2-19 from 3 point range most of the night but since they were capable of getting hot from there anytime, there was no reason for the Hogs to take chances on defense. With less than 2 minutes remaining in the game and a 4 point lead, they should have gone to a man on man and locked the perimeter down.

Did you miss the part where they were much more effective at dribble penetration, and couldn't make anything from outside?  Why would you extend out on them to defend their weakness up to that point, and free them up to beat us off the dribble? 

It's one option...no arguing that, but if you watch that game back...it was poor defensive rebounding, something that solid fundamentals should prevent, that contributed to the loss as much as anything.  If we don't give up so many second chance points, and hit our free throws...it's not a close game at the end.  Period. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Paul

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 04, 2018, 09:27:19 pm
Did you miss the part where they were much more effective at dribble penetration, and couldn't make anything from outside?  Why would you extend out on them to defend their weakness up to that point, and free them up to beat us off the dribble? 

It's one option...no arguing that, but if you watch that game back...it was poor defensive rebounding, something that solid fundamentals should prevent, that contributed to the loss as much as anything.  If we don't give up so many second chance points, and hit our free throws...it's not a close game at the end.  Period.
You're right. As i pointed out in another thread, Howland told his kids we don't block out.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2018, 09:50:16 pm
You're right. As i pointed out in another thread, Howland told his kids we don't block out.

I think everyone knows we don't block out well.  2 minutes of game film will show that.  It's more of a question of why.  I'm consistently told it's because we want to run, but you can't outrun getting out scored on second chance lay ups right under the basket. 

It's one of three things that MA's team do consistently, and I've just learned that I have to accept it, or I'll go nuts watching us play. 

1.  We don't block out on defensive rebounds
2.  We continue to trap on the perimeter even when they are killing us with skip passes to open shooters for 3
3.  We shade the dibbler to the INSIDE defensively, rather than the outside so we can force them back to the middle of the court where there is defensive help. 

I would add number 4 being that we continue to full court press even when teams are very effective at beating it, and get easy baskets as a result.  But....I'm giving benefit of the doubt on that one, because the goal is to methodically wear them down physically and mentally throughout the game, leading to us being fresher at the end.  Not sure I buy in completely...but I get the logic behind it.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Paul

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 04, 2018, 10:54:24 pm
I think everyone knows we don't block out well.  2 minutes of game film will show that.  It's more of a question of why.  I'm consistently told it's because we want to run, but you can't outrun getting out scored on second chance lay ups right under the basket. 

It's one of three things that MA's team do consistently, and I've just learned that I have to accept it, or I'll go nuts watching us play. 

1.  We don't block out on defensive rebounds
2.  We continue to trap on the perimeter even when they are killing us with skip passes to open shooters for 3
3.  We shade the dibbler to the INSIDE defensively, rather than the outside so we can force them back to the middle of the court where there is defensive help. 

I would add number 4 being that we continue to full court press even when teams are very effective at beating it, and get easy baskets as a result.  But....I'm giving benefit of the doubt on that one, because the goal is to methodically wear them down physically and mentally throughout the game, leading to us being fresher at the end.  Not sure I buy in completely...but I get the logic behind it.
I agree with what you've said.  I did notice during the run at the end of last season MA called off the full court press for long stretches.  I thought  & was hoping that was a fundamental change but I doubt it now.  IMO MA would be so much more successful if he brought in a assistant who could teach his kids fundamental half court basketball to go with his press.  It could be a style similar to the Triplets without the Sutton penchant for holding the ball for the last several minutes for the last shot(before the shot clock was instituted).

navyhog24

If we come out flat against Auburn, then something is definitely wrong. We've been coming out flat too much especially in the first halves.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 08:19:19 am
Really the ones who need to calm down are those who were on here immediately trying to pick fights by "defending" Mike. Most people were saying it was not a very good performance from the Hogs, but also not a season killer and at only 3 losses they are still in good shape. But of course you got the Anderson PR crew on here taking exception to anything anyone posted if it was not 100% Mike ( not the Hogs mind you but Mike ) got ripped off by the refs.

They did not play well, coming off an emotional come back win Sat, it happens.

I am a huge supporter of Mike. I have officiated many many games and I played at a high level. Mike should have challenged the officials in an aggressive way even draw a T.

Mike didn't fight for his team in this game. Please show me a game where that disparity has happened? It affected how we played defense and offense. They were allowed to make a lot of contact with no calls meanwhile they shot 40 free throws and we shot 12!!!

I agree we need to hit our FTs but our team was robbed. Mike should have went ballistic.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hawgtime on January 04, 2018, 07:31:13 am

go hogs.... oh well.

Wow...hasn't this sentence been said about Arkansas since MA got here?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Breems

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 05, 2018, 04:01:46 pm
Wow...hasn't this sentence been said about Arkansas since MA got here?

It's one of many Jump Ball songs stuck on repeat, despite the fact that Mike has players that fit his style perfectly.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Breems on January 05, 2018, 04:14:58 pm
It's one of many Jump Ball songs stuck on repeat, despite the fact that Mike has players that fit his style perfectly.

Stuck on repeat since 2011.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Breems on January 05, 2018, 04:14:58 pm

What's stuck on repeat is the idiots that post it...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 02, 2018, 10:50:39 pm
Far far from an Anderson hater! Dead wrong.

This is the second time someone has quoted someone else, responded to the person they quoted and then you have acted like they were talking to you... are you ok?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 03, 2018, 08:34:06 am
This loss is on me. If I watch a game they lose. If I miss the game they win. I fully accept the blame for last night. I should have watched something else and just checked the game thread. My bad.

I have a friend like that, he doesn't really even like basketball (or have a great grasp of it) but will want to watch the Hogs if they string together a series of wins and inevitably they lose once he does (with him talking about how bad they are the whole time). I really can't ever remember watching a game with him that they won.

Tuesday he started a group text with me and another friend about the game right after tip off. I told I would prefer that he did not watch but at the very least I was not going to text with him during the game (I hate the game time group text thing anytime*). He accepted the no texting but he kept watching... you know the rest of the story.

*the only time I don't mind the game time group text is during KC Chiefs games with my uncles and cousins up in Missouri since I only see them once or twice a year anyways so it is a nice way to just stay in touch with the extended family. Also, I am not nearly as emotionally attached to the Chiefs as I am to the Hogs.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.