Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gold Mutual Funds/ETFs

Started by ADinWaiting, November 12, 2012, 02:57:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADinWaiting

Anyone have any suggestions for mutual funds or ETFs that are backed by gold? Are there any that pay a dividend?

Any thoughts on emerging markets funds? Primarily Brazil.

Just trying to move some money around. Advice is appreciated.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

dafe1

November 12, 2012, 09:03:54 pm #1 Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:17:23 pm by dafe1
I am not a fan of gold ETFs. It's an investment in the performance of gold that lacks the "tangibleness". Most gold ETFs end up being highly leveraged and by some accounts are a quasi-ponzi scheme.

I'm not sure it's the best time for that market either from a non-insurance type of investment standpoint. There is a lot of risk right now; gold could go up, but it could also go much lower. The fiscal cliff is looming which will probably make gold lay flat or slightly rise over the next month and a half. That is mainly the result of our economy not doing anything and jitters over the response to the fiscal cliff. That is "good" for gold in the short term, but that could dissipate rather quickly depending on the response to the fiscal cliff.

If it were me, I would stay away from it. Buy low, sell high. Gold is 1720~

I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

ADinWaiting

Quote from: dafe1 on November 12, 2012, 09:03:54 pm
I am not a fan of gold ETFs. It's an investment in the performance of gold that lacks the "tangibleness". Most gold ETFs end up being highly leveraged and by some accounts are a quasi-ponzi scheme.

I'm not sure it's the best time for that market either from a non-insurance type of investment standpoint. There is a lot of risk right now; gold could go up, but it could also go much lower. The fiscal cliff is looming which will probably make gold lay flat or slightly rise over the next month and a half. I wouldn't expect much movement though.

Expect the policy response to the fiscal cliff and changes in Federal Reserve policy to be the two biggest shakers. If it were me, I would stay away from it. Buy low, sell high. Gold is 1720~

I'll be sending you a PM shortly.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."